PDA

View Full Version : Monday (maybe Tuesday) night vs. Toronto... Maybe Mark Buehrle's final start w/ Sox

doublem23
09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to throw this out there, it really hit me this morning on the L to work, the Trib ran a story about how Mark's future is up in the air. Anyways, the Sox haven't released their probable pitchers yet, but basic counting deduces that Mark's final start of the year will be Monday, at home, against Toronto. I know this season has sucked total ass, but Mark's been a mainstay here for a decade. If Monday is the end of the road, it's your last chance to catch him.

hawkjt
09-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Discount nite,so maybe a good crowd...hopefully.
Now, I doubt the Sox want to promote the fact that they are possibly going to let one of the all-time favorite Sox players walk away for nothing,so I am sure they will low-key it.

I am still hoping Jerry's loyalty extends to MB,and he returns that loyalty with a decent discount. Maybe 3 more years at 30? I think he is worth it as the anchor of the staff. And I think it is worth it to Mark to be able to finish up with one team his whole career,here in Chicago,where he is very entrenched,close to home in St Louis. I know his kids are growing and being away from home does hurt him,but maybe 2 years and mutual option?

Chez
09-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I thought it was going to be Tuesday night (a game for which I already have tickets)? I guess it depends if Axelrod gets another start.

doublem23
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I thought it was going to be Tuesday night (a game for which I already have tickets)? I guess it depends if Axelrod gets another start.

Oh **** that's right, I guess I didn't count on Axelrod. Well, in my defense, ESPN has Buehrle as Monday's starter, too.

:dunno:

I'm sure they'll announce it soon. Gonna be all over tickets to that game.

Chez
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
One of the reasons I went to the last game of the season in 2010 was because I thought it was going to be Konerko's and AJ's swan songs as members of the White Sox. It was a bittersweet day. I'm hoping Buehrle comes back, but wouldn't blame the Sox if they decided not to write another big check.

Jerko
09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I might have to go Tuesday night now (already going Wednesday). Througout the years I've enjoyed going to games when I knew Mark was pitching. Hard to think Tuesday might be the last time I get to say that to myself.

KenBerryGrab
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Let's hope it's a true Buehrle game: a win in about 2:02.

downstairs
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
One of the reasons I went to the last game of the season in 2010 was because I thought it was going to be Konerko's and AJ's swan songs as members of the White Sox. It was a bittersweet day. I'm hoping Buehrle comes back, but wouldn't blame the Sox if they decided not to write another big check.

Who's saying anyone is going to write a big check for him next year?

Milw
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Discount nite,so maybe a good crowd...hopefully.
Now, I doubt the Sox want to promote the fact that they are possibly going to let one of the all-time favorite Sox players walk away for nothing,so I am sure they will low-key it.

I am still hoping Jerry's loyalty extends to MB,and he returns that loyalty with a decent discount. Maybe 3 more years at 30? I think he is worth it as the anchor of the staff. And I think it is worth it to Mark to be able to finish up with one team his whole career,here in Chicago,where he is very entrenched,close to home in St Louis. I know his kids are growing and being away from home does hurt him,but maybe 2 years and mutual option?
3 years at 30? I feel like that's way overpaying, never mind being a discount. I could see 3 years at 24, but taking emotion out of it, I don't think at this stage of his career that he's worth more than about 2 at 12. I hope the Sox re-sign him, but only if it makes economic sense. 3/30 doesn't.

doublem23
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
3 years at 30? I feel like that's way overpaying, never mind being a discount. I could see 3 years at 24, but taking emotion out of it, I don't think at this stage of his career that he's worth more than about 2 at 12. I hope the Sox re-sign him, but only if it makes economic sense. 3/30 doesn't.

Yeah but it's not a very star-studded pitching free agent class. If Sabathia opts out of his deal (and he likely will), he's the clear #1 FA SP, but really, outside of the Yankees or maybe the Red Sox who can afford to pay him? After that it gets cloudy fast. Oswalt? CJ Wilson? Vazquez? Edwin Jackson? Nobody in that group that really, really stands out.

I think 3 for $30 M is around what he could/should end up getting, unless he only talks to a few teams (since he's such a committed family man, I can't see him entertaining offers from teams on either coast).

Milw
09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah but it's not a very star-studded pitching free agent class. If Sabathia opts out of his deal (and he likely will), he's the clear #1 FA SP, but really, outside of the Yankees or maybe the Red Sox who can afford to pay him? After that it gets cloudy fast. Oswalt? CJ Wilson? Vazquez? Edwin Jackson? Nobody in that group that really, really stands out.

I think 3 for $30 M is around what he could/should end up getting, unless he only talks to a few teams (since he's such a committed family man, I can't see him entertaining offers from teams on either coast).
Not saying you're wrong, just that if that's what it costs to keep him, then it's time to move on. I'd love to have him back, but only if it makes sense. That don't make sense, unless perhaps you trade Danks and decide Sale's future is in the bullpen (which I would dispute myself).

DumpJerry
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Fox Sports has Axelrod on Monday. Ever since last night's game, The Score has been saying Tuesday is the day.

DumpJerry
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Another indication that he will pitch Tuesday is the fact that his picture is on the full season ticket plan tickets for that game.

#1swisher
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Mark Buehrle, "I'm going out there like I'm coming back next year", regarding final start on Tuesday.

Recap (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_09_21_chamlb_clemlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws)

doublem23
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Either way, Stubhub has sick nasty deals all over the park for both days.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
It hit me last night that Buehrle's next start could be hist last start for the White Sox. When I had that realization, I checked out Stub Hub and found tickets for Tuesday's game to be dirt cheap, so within minutes, I bought a couple.

kittle42
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM

I knew there was some way that home game 80 was a lot like home game 2.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
So does anyone know if Buehrle is pitching Monday or Tuesday? Every news story is saying he takes the mound Tuesday, but on the Sox site it says Monday's starter is TBA and the ESPN MLB schedule says Buehrle is pitching Monday.

DonnieDarko
09-23-2011, 09:28 AM
So does anyone know if Buehrle is pitching Monday or Tuesday? Every news story is saying he takes the mound Tuesday, but on the Sox site it says Monday's starter is TBA and the ESPN MLB schedule says Buehrle is pitching Monday.

This. I need to know an exact date before I buy tickets. >_>

kittle42
09-23-2011, 10:42 AM
This. I need to know an exact date before I buy tickets. >_>

I'm sure plenty of great, cheap seats will be available day of game on stubhub.

DonnieDarko
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm sure plenty of great, cheap seats will be available day of game on stubhub.

I know. I just don't want to buy tickets to the wrong game is all.

kittle42
09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I know. I just don't want to buy tickets to the wrong game is all.

Oh, I know, but they'll know whether he;s pitching Monday, and then you can buy them Monday is all I'm saying.

#1swisher
09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Mark Buehrles' thoughts on pitching in the NL.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110922&content_id=25068524&notebook_id=25077982&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

Noneck
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Doesnt sound like pulling up stakes is now a big deal for him.

DumpJerry
09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Mark Buehrles' thoughts on pitching in the NL.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110922&content_id=25068524&notebook_id=25077982&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws
Not a real strong statement about switching. His interleague record would be at risk because of the very familiarity issue addressed. Also, the article ignores the fact that Cuddyer is a free agent, so he could wind up in the NL......

Shoeless_Jeff
09-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Probable pitching match ups has Buehrle starting on Tuesday. I got section 139 tickets for 13 bucks.

doublem23
09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers/index.jsp?c_id=cws

Axelrod Monday
Buehrle Tuesday

fusillirob1983
09-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Agreed. I bought 4 tickets in section 130 for $22 apiece after fees. There were some better seats for cheaper too, but I needed a set of 4 tickets.

#1swisher
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
whitesox (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/whitesox)

Mark Buehrle of #whitesox on start tmrw: Not trying to make a
big deal of it, but family and friends are. Not 100 percent I'm gone.