PDA

View Full Version : Pinwheel scavanger hunt

unnie
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know the location of the pinwheels from the old score board? I always knew there was one at the Chicago History Museum, and at the hall of fame.

The other day I was at the Downtown Sports Authority and I saw a yellow one there. I thought is was kinda a wired place for it, but it was nice because you can get real close.

This got me thinking about what happened to the other pinwheels. I tried looking around the inter-webs but had no luck. Are they still out there? Are they available for public viewing? I think it would be fun to go on a scavenger hunt and visit as many as possible.

Chez
09-21-2011, 02:07 PM
After the old park was demolished, there was an auction (open to the public) held at the new park in which virtually everything from the old park was sold -- signage, bathroom fixtures, lockers, the foul poles -- EVERYTHING. I attended; it was wild. I know parts of the old scoreboard, including the pin wheels, were auctioned.

MarkM2112
09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
IIRC, I think that Steve Dahl purchased one of them... I also think that, for a short time, one was mounted on one of the Wrigley rooftops. (Steve's, I think)

ChiSoxFann
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I believe two are hanging on the wall in the Bullpen Sports Bar, but I'm not 110% sure.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
IIRC, I think that Steve Dahl purchased one of them... I also think that, for a short time, one was mounted on one of the Wrigley rooftops. (Steve's, I think)It might still be there, I don't know. They put the Harry Caray face logo over it.

Foulke You
09-21-2011, 06:29 PM
It might still be there, I don't know. They put the Harry Caray face logo over it.
Yes, my understanding is that Dahl donated the pinwheel to that rooftop to help give tribute to Harry Caray after his death in 1998. This is why the Harry face was put over the pinwheel. It is still there hanging on the wall on that rooftop.

CLUBHOUSE KID
09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes I always see the one at Sports Authority. I am also aware of the one by Wrigley. I never knew that was a pinwheel though!

C-Dawg
09-23-2011, 09:31 AM
What happened to the rest of the scoreboard itself? I remember reading it was supposed to go to a minor-league park somewhere but I never heard where it ended up. I suppose it was probably scrapped instead.

kba
09-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Seems like there should be two sets of pinwheels from the old park -- one from the original "monster" scoreboard, and one from the Diamondvision version that Reinsdorf and Einhorn installed when they bought the team. I suppose the original ones were just junked?