PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers On Possible Sox Managers

Lip Man 1
09-20-2011, 06:39 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-your-morning-phil-guillen-la-russa-red-sox-20110920,0,2632183.story

Seems to be backing off slightly his contention that LaRussa's the guy.

Lip

jdm2662
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I was in St. Louis this weekend visiting a friend. My friend thinks LaRussa will stick around if the Cards have a legit chance to win the division next year. I also got the vibe if he left, the city wouldn't cry too much. He states while he is a good manager, he rubs people the wrong way. Shocking to hear, I'm sure...

Brian26
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Phil also endorses Buddy Bell on Twitter.

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408312443/rogers_normal.jpg
ChiTribRogers (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChiTribRogers) Phil Rogers

Keep an eye on Buddy Bell as possible replacement if Ozzie leaves #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox). Should have had him in the YMP piece earlier today. #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox)

8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChiTribRogers/status/116345432560517120)

Tragg
09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Cora, Baylor? Is he serious?

Jim Fergosi?

Noneck
09-20-2011, 11:32 PM
And it continues. Another sports writer not realizing that it should be the responsibility of the GM ( a baseball guy) to pick the manager, not a owner.

Foulke You
09-20-2011, 11:54 PM
I was in St. Louis this weekend visiting a friend. My friend thinks LaRussa will stick around if the Cards have a legit chance to win the division next year. I also got the vibe if he left, the city wouldn't cry too much. He states while he is a good manager, he rubs people the wrong way. Shocking to hear, I'm sure...
I hear this as a reason for many on WSI to not bring LaRussa in but honestly, I could care less how he handles media, if he rubs people the wrong way, or if he claims to be keeper of baseball etiquette. Nothing matters to me as long as as he is a good manager and I believe the answer to that question is a yes. Since that is the case, I don't see how any fan could be upset by bringing him in. The other stuff is just peripheral and doesn't directly have an effect on the team. The Cards certainly have thrived under him with far less than other NL teams as far as talent goes. Perhaps a dose of "jerk" and abrasiveness in the clubhouse is what this Sox team needs. I know one thing, I don't think a LaRussa led team would have stood for our hitters being clobbered with fastballs in the upper half of their body all season long without any retaliation.

Vernam
09-21-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm surprised Rogers didn't suggest Gene Mauch or Alvin Dark. Here's hoping Reinsdorf has a slightly better imagination.

Vernam

SoxSpeed22
09-21-2011, 01:10 AM
If they do go into a partial rebuild, Bobby Valentine may not be worst thing in the world and neither would Don Baylor. They just need a different voice in there.

A. Cavatica
09-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Only former Sox players need apply.

How about John Kruk?

kufram
09-21-2011, 06:53 AM
In 1989 I was part of a conversation with a few friends and the top industrialist in postwar Europe. This man had built up an empire from nothing. When ask about something quite personal he replied that he never took things personally. He said that there were two types of people... those who got personally involved in their work and those who did not. He would always hire the guy who did NOT get involved on a personal level. That works when you're running factories and warehouses and transport, etc. and your decisions are cold-hearted and purely business.

I am in no position to know so this is just my supposition and could easily be completely wrong but JR seems to be a guy who wants people he can trust running things for him. I find trust far more valuable in my work. I like the family feel that JR has built up in the White Sox organization and I can understand if that is indeed what JR does but, like I said, I'm in no position to know and I think very few people are. It isn't a new concept in sports for former players to stay or come back to an organization they had success with. There may even be one or two successfully doing that now.

I've read somewhere that the White Sox balance sheet is healthy. If that is correct then JR is doing something right. We just need the players to do their jobs right.

October26
09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Several weeks ago, I heard on MLB Network that LaRussa had called Leyland to wish him luck in the series against the Sox. The Tigers pounded the Sox that weekend and would go on to win the division easily. LaRussa then called Leyland again after the series ended to congratulate him on beating the Sox. I found it peculiar that LaRussa would be so public in his anti-Sox sentiment when LaRussa is also allegedly good friends with and Mr. Reinsdorf's top choice for the next Sox manager.

I wonder who Kenny Williams top choice is for the next Sox manager?

I want the next Sox manager to be someone who wants to win, has a proven track record and who does not have a conflict of interest because his best friend is the Tigers' manager. I don't see what motivation LaRussa has to return and manage the Sox in 2012?

tstrike2000
09-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Several weeks ago, I heard on MLB Network that LaRussa had called Leyland to wish him luck in the series against the Sox. The Tigers pounded the Sox that weekend and would go on to win the division easily. LaRussa then called Leyland again after the series ended to congratulate him on beating the Sox. I found it peculiar that LaRussa would be so public in his anti-Sox sentiment when LaRussa is also allegedly good friends with and Mr. Reinsdorf's top choice for the next Sox manager.

I wonder who Kenny Williams top choice is for the next Sox manager?

I want the next Sox manager to be someone who wants to win, has a proven track record and who does not have a conflict of interest because his best friend is the Tigers' manager. I don't see what motivation LaRussa has to return and manage the Sox in 2012?

In regards to LaRussa calling Leyland, I don't know if it's so much an anti-Sox thing as I think Leyland and LaRussa are just friends. Since Jim was LaRussa's third base coach for the Sox in the early 80's, I believe they've always remained friends.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I hear this as a reason for many on WSI to not bring LaRussa in but honestly, I could care less how he handles media, if he rubs people the wrong way, or if he claims to be keeper of baseball etiquette. Nothing matters to me as long as as he is a good manager and I believe the answer to that question is a yes. Since that is the case, I don't see how any fan could be upset by bringing him in. The other stuff is just peripheral and doesn't directly have an effect on the team. The Cards certainly have thrived under him with far less than other NL teams as far as talent goes. Perhaps a dose of "jerk" and abrasiveness in the clubhouse is what this Sox team needs. I know one thing, I don't think a LaRussa led team would have stood for our hitters being clobbered with fastballs in the upper half of their body all season long without any retaliation.

I think the Sox are soft. And Ozzie makes them that way. They have no fight because the manager does not support them on the field. Off the field, he throws them under the bus at every opportunity. Meanwhile, he always says out of the other side of his mouth that he is a player's manager and has their back. Right.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
In regards to LaRussa calling Leyland, I don't know if it's so much an anti-Sox thing as I think Leyland and LaRussa are just friends. Since Jim was LaRussa's third base coach for the Sox in the early 80's, I believe they've always remained friends.Their friendship is part of the reason why LaRussa didn't report Kenny Rogers to the umps for using pinetar in the 2006 World Series. Well, either that or the Tigers knew that the Cardinals were cheating too.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I have absolutely zero preference on this seeing as how I don't know many good ones that are sitting on the mend right now.

Whoever we do get though, I hope it's not a new guy without experience. This team needs someone who can lead and not another experiment. Too much messed up crap going on around this organization for further experiments.

JB98
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I think the Sox are soft. And Ozzie makes them that way. They have no fight because the manager does not support them on the field. Off the field, he throws them under the bus at every opportunity. Meanwhile, he always says out of the other side of his mouth that he is a player's manager and has their back. Right.

Yep.

The same pitcher who ended Lillibridge's season is out there plunking guys again, yet the Sox do nothing about it.

At some point, it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. You gotta stick up for your guys on the field.

We've had two men sent to the DL and another relegated to DH duty for weeks because of HBP. Meanwhile, the Sox don't seem to have any qualms about allowing opposing hitters to get comfortable in the box.

SCCWS
09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I have absolutely zero preference on this seeing as how I don't know many good ones that are sitting on the mend right now.

Whoever we do get though, I hope it's not a new guy without experience. This team needs someone who can lead and not another experiment. Too much messed up crap going on around this organization for further experiments.

Last time we hired an inexperienced manager, he won a World Series in his 2nd year. We had plenty of veteran mangers who never accomplished that feat in the last 100 years. Not sure we can wait another 100

SI1020
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Whoever we do get though, I hope it's not a new guy without experience. This team needs someone who can lead and not another experiment. Too much messed up crap going on around this organization for further experiments. The world is full of people without "experience" who could do a much better job than the experienced person they'd be replacing.

PKalltheway
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I understand your sentiment, but I really believe LaRussa wouldn't work with the Sox because I don't think he'll get along with Kenny Williams. Those are two really big egos to be working together and I think a "power struggle" would happen all over again.

SI1020
09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm surprised Rogers didn't suggest Gene Mauch or Alvin Dark. Here's hoping Reinsdorf has a slightly better imagination.

Vernam That's hilarious. My how sports journalism has devolved in Chicago. What a waste of time it was to read that.

Lamp81
09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Really, Carlton Fisk?

Don't you think if he was willing to spend 7-8 months a year away from home, he would have coached under his good friend, Ozzie, like Baines?

OTOH, I had wanted Fisk to be named a player-manager in 1992, after Torborg left to manage the Mets. I was never a big Gene Lamont fan, until I saw his replacement...

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
How is Dave Martinez not on that list? He's even a former Sox player.

SOXSINCE'70
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Cora, Baylor? Is he serious?

Jim Fergosi?

Bring back Jeff Torborg!!:D:

How about Terry Bevington?!?!?:puking: