PDA

View Full Version : If Adam Dunn continues his current streak of 2 for 4 games...

Tekijawa
09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Through the end of the season he'll be batting .196. If he Gets a hit every time and bats 4 times again, he will be at .242, I assume that of those 40 additional hits over the last 10 games he'll get at least 30 homers and the back of his baseball card will remained intact.

34 Inch Stick
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
sounds reasonable to me

voodoochile
09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah we get it. Adam has had an abysmal year. I think instead of hammering that point home we should be looking for signs of progress to see whether he is changing his approach and getting his mindset right to have a better 2012 because odds are the Sox are stuck with him until at least mid-season next year when he might become tradable if he has a more Dunn-like first half.

To me the fact he went with the pitch on two outer-half breaking balls to hit doubles down the LF line is encouraging. I figured he would get some at bats before the end of the year. It's nice to see him being productive with those chances.

DumpJerry
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Dunn has hit Cleveland very good this year, .325 BA (I guess they don't read scouting reports). We still have six games against teams that do read the reports.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Dunn is starting to hit? Well, if it takes him 5 1/2 months to get into baseball shape, he needs to start his off-season in earnest in November. I don't think he should wait till 2 weeks before spring training starts to pick up a bat as he has in years past.

Falstaff
09-21-2011, 12:24 AM
yes i agree Dunn needs to keep working on hitting to keep momentum
for next year. I am hoping to see him at our local batting cage / pitching machine open all winter in Eureka CA so he shows up to hit like monster in 2012.

SOXPHILE
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Dunn said he is going to put 2011 behind him, and not talk about it again when the season is over. That's nice. Glad to hear it. Not going to leave any of that $12 million dollar check behind though, are you ? *******.

kittle42
09-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Dunn said he is going to put 2011 behind him, and not talk about it again when the season is over. That's nice. Glad to hear it. Not going to leave any of that $12 million dollar check behind though, are you ? *******.

If you did a crappy job at work, would you give them part of your salary back?

SOXPHILE
09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
If you did a crappy job at work, would you give them part of your salary back?

If I did as crappy at work as Dunn did this year, I would have been fired. And if I had a contract as large as his, the company would probably take measures to void the remainder of it.

voodoochile
09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
If I did as crappy at work as Dunn did this year, I would have been fired. And if I had a contract as large as his, the company would probably take measures to void the remainder of it.

LOL and you would fight them tooth and nail in a court of law until you got every damned penny you were due and if you didn't you'd be a major fool. Failure to succeed at something is not the same as not trying to succeed. The minute you can prove to me Dunn failed for lack of trying or caring you'd have a point, but failing that you... well.. failed...

But just to drive the point home, this is why comparisons to the real working world are so inappropriate. A more apt comparison would be to a movie star who got paid major bucks for a movie that failed. Should they then give back their paycheck? It's an entertainment business. It's one that is governed under a CBA with guaranteed contracts.

Oh and calling Dunn an ******* for failing to hit says a lot more about you than it does him.

Edit: I want to add one more point. It's rhetoric like you are throwing around which has made much of this forum unreadable for the most part this summer. I'm actually getting complaints from long time members over the tone of the website and have had one gold subscriber already tell me they aren't coming back. Everyone would be better served to take the attack dog posting back a step. It would make the site better and would make it much easier to have an actual conversation. You know, one where no one has to be right, angry, defensive or flat out rude. Gee, what a concept.

kufram
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
LOL and you would fight them tooth and nail in a court of law until you got every damned penny you were due and if you didn't you'd be a major fool. Failure to succeed at something is not the same as not trying to succeed. The minute you can prove to me Dunn failed for lack of trying or caring you'd have a point, but failing that you... well.. failed...

But just to drive the point home, this is why comparisons to the real working world are so inappropriate. A more apt comparison would be to a movie star who got paid major bucks for a movie that failed. Should they then give back their paycheck? It's an entertainment business. It's one that is governed under a CBA with guaranteed contracts.

Oh and calling Dunn an ******* for failing to hit says a lot more about you than it does him.

Edit: I want to add one more point. It's rhetoric like you are throwing around which has made much of this forum unreadable for the most part this summer. I'm actually getting complaints from long time members over the tone of the website and have had one gold subscriber already tell me they aren't coming back. Everyone would be better served to take the attack dog posting back a step. It would make the site better and would make it much easier to have an actual conversation. You know, one where no one has to be right, angry, defensive or flat out rude. Gee, what a concept.

I've been considering whether or not I belong on this site for the reasons in your edit. I found the disappointment of the season was made worse sometimes by coming here. Some of the attacks on Dunn, Rios, Ozzie, Walker and others have been beyond the pale in my opinion and would only be made behind the camouflage of an internet persona. I'm no pollyanna and criticism, when warranted, is part of a place such as this and I can live with that. The team gave plenty of reason for angry reaction but I'd like to think a bit of decorum isn't a bad thing.

I'm not a veteran member here and I'm sure if I disappeared it wouldn't make a ripple but I do like the idea of this site and the execution of it is excellent.

kittle42
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Some of the attacks on Dunn, Rios, Ozzie, Walker and others have been beyond the pale in my opinion and would only be made behind the camouflage of an internet persona.

On a side note, "You'd never say that to [his/her/my/their] face(s)" is perhaps my favorite internet argument ever, aside from actual threats to find someone and punch them.

kufram
09-21-2011, 01:31 PM
On a side note, "You'd never say that to [his/her/my/their] face(s)" is perhaps my favorite internet argument ever, aside from actual threats to find someone and punch them.

Well, you know.... if the shoe fits..

kittle42
09-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, you know.... if the shoe fits..

I enjoy saying everything to everyone's face(s). Somehow, I have avoided the face-punching.

SOXPHILE
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Actually, the movie comparison isn't right either. A movie is made, and it's put in theaters, left to stand on it's own merits. If it's a bad movie, or the actors are horrible, nothing can change that. In baseball, there is a new game every day. If a player goes 0-4 a couple of games in a row, he can bounce back with a 3-4 day, or redeem himself with good defense. Adam Dunn was bad in game after game throughout the whole season, thus helping to drag the team down. A better comparison would be a stage play. If it's a bad play, or the actors are horrible, then changes can be made to either the story, the cast, or both.

As far as failing for lack of trying, I think Dunn proves that himself to a certain extent by saying he doesn't even pick up a bat during the offseason until a couple of weeks before spring training. Preparing for an upcoming baseball season in which you are being paid in the tens of millions of dollars to do is an important part of the job.

The crux of it all and the reason this can't be compared to "real life" is the guaranteed contracts that are signed. If you hired a contractor to refurbish your house, he would sign a contract. Suppose he then proceeds to show up and do extremely poor shoddy work, take a very long time to do it, and several months into the job he only had a little bit of it done, and so poorly that you will actually have to have it all torn up and re-done properly. What then ? Would you still pay him in full, per the contract and that's that ? Of course not. However, in baseball, it doesn't matter. They are offered and sign contracts that guarantee them the money. If a player goes 0-500 on the season and makes 162 errors, they are still going to get paid what is guaranteed in the contract.

I've said before, and I know it's pie in the sky, I don't know how Adam Dunn can, in good conscience, take all $12 million they are paying him. My wish would be he gives some back to the Sox to re-invest into the team so they are not so hamstrung due to his huge contract with almost no return on the investment. Again, pie in the sky. You'll probably ask if I would do the same thing. If I was already a multi-millionare, didn't have to work or collect another paycheck for the rest of my life, and had some entity paying me $12 million this year (and $14 million next year) after having done absolutely nothing to benefit the team, knowing my huge salary is hurting the team ? Actually, I would have to say I would be too embarrassed not to.

voodoochile
09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Actually, the movie comparison isn't right either. A movie is made, and it's put in theaters, left to stand on it's own merits. If it's a bad movie, or the actors are horrible, nothing can change that. In baseball, there is a new game every day. If a player goes 0-4 a couple of games in a row, he can bounce back with a 3-4 day, or redeem himself with good defense. Adam Dunn was bad in game after game throughout the whole season, thus helping to drag the team down. A better comparison would be a stage play. If it's a bad play, or the actors are horrible, then changes can be made to either the story, the cast, or both.

As far as failing for lack of trying, I think Dunn proves that himself to a certain extent by saying he doesn't even pick up a bat during the offseason until a couple of weeks before spring training. Preparing for an upcoming baseball season in which you are being paid in the tens of millions of dollars to do is an important part of the job.

The crux of it all and the reason this can't be compared to "real life" is the guaranteed contracts that are signed. If you hired a contractor to refurbish your house, he would sign a contract. Suppose he then proceeds to show up and do extremely poor shoddy work, take a very long time to do it, and several months into the job he only had a little bit of it done, and so poorly that you will actually have to have it all torn up and re-done properly. What then ? Would you still pay him in full, per the contract and that's that ? Of course not. However, in baseball, it doesn't matter. They are offered and sign contracts that guarantee them the money. If a player goes 0-500 on the season and makes 162 errors, they are still going to get paid what is guaranteed in the contract.

Your last sentence shows you really do understand the situation, so what is there left to say?

To turn this around if a player went 500/500 with 500HR and 0 errors while pitching 162 perfect games and striking out every single batter they faced on 3 pitches they wouldn't get a bonus at the end of the year either and if they happened to be a rookie making league minimum they wouldn't suddenly be handed a check for $50M at the end of the year. So it does work both ways.

And that routine apparently worked fine for Dunn coming into this year. We will see if he changes it this year.

Also in the play analogy, if the writers, director, stage manager, actors have guaranteed contracts if they got replaced they'd still be paid, they just would be "benched" as Dunn was late in the season.

kittle42
09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
If I was already a multi-millionare, didn't have to work or collect another paycheck for the rest of my life, and had some entity paying me $12 million this year (and $14 million next year) after having done absolutely nothing to benefit the team, knowing my huge salary is hurting the team ? Actually, I would have to say I would be too embarrassed not to.

Everybody says this when they don't have the money. As your means increase, your mindset changes. The "this guy is already making 15 million, so what does he need 20 million for?" is unrealistic.

SI1020
09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
On a side note, "You'd never say that to [his/her/my/their] face(s)" is perhaps my favorite internet argument ever, aside from actual threats to find someone and punch them. I remember around 2001 a couple of posters had a real back and forth going on the Sox MLB board and they made arrangements to meet somewhere in the western suburbs to settle accounts. Apparently the first would be combatant arrived early, as someone posted a warning to the second would be combatant that his opponent was really big and mean looking. I'm not sure whether the "meeting" ever took place or not. As for the unhappiness over the words and tone in this season of our discontent, I don't know what to say about that. I wish Kenny, Ozzie, Walker, Rios and Dunn long and happy lives. They should already be prosperous. I also hope they are all playing, managing, coaching and general managing elsewhere next year. As for Dunn in particular, he's welcome to revert back to "career norms" for another team. He and Rios in large part helped ruin what looked like it might be a promising season of White Sox baseball. Finally, yes I know the likelihood of all these guys departing is nil. It doesn't make me wish it any less.

Nellie_Fox
09-21-2011, 04:06 PM
I've said before, and I know it's pie in the sky, I don't know how Adam Dunn can, in good conscience, take all $12 million they are paying him. My wish would be he gives some back to the Sox to re-invest into the team so they are not so hamstrung due to his huge contract with almost no return on the investment. Again, pie in the sky.The Players' Association would go absolutely ballistic if he even hinted at doing anything like that. Also, if that precedent is started, then expect players who play above their contract to be demanding not just extensions, but complete re-negotiations. That's not a can of worms I want to see opened up.

KRS1
09-22-2011, 02:38 AM
sounds reasonable to me
http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/14342_o.gif