PDA

View Full Version : Red Faber

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I was thinking that if this is Buerhle's last year in Chicago should his number eventually be retired and his image put on the LF wall.
That got me to thinking why Red Faber has not had his number and image put on the wall. He spent all 20 years of his career with the Sox and had a record of 254-213 which puts him right behind Ted Lyons in most wins in a Sox uniform. I'm thinking that big Ed Walsh should be up there also.
Good article on the subject:
http://berserkhippo.com/2011/01/could-buehrle-be-the-best-white-sox-pitcher-ever/

delben91
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Of current Sox players, I think it's a complete lock for #14 to be retired, and while I'm slightly less certain, I think #56 will get retired too. His contributions to the WS team, the no-hitter, the perfect game...just a consistently very good to sometimes great pitcher for the majority of his career here.

kittle42
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Konerko's a lock. Depending on what happens in the offseason, I'd say Ozzie might be a lock.

Buehrle? He'd probably have to re-up and continue to at least perform at career levels. He'd be more a beneficiary of longevity.

roylestillman
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Aren't we starting to run out of wall?

Lip Man 1
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I may be wrong but as crazy as this sounds, how do you retire a 'player number' when they never had one?

Walsh (certainly) and Faber played when there were no uniform numbers on the back of jerseys if I recall.

Lip

DumpJerry
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I may be wrong but as crazy as this sounds, how do you retire a 'player number' when they never had one?

Walsh (certainly) and Faber played when there were no uniform numbers on the back of jerseys if I recall.

Lip
That's what I was wondering.....

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Lip

You just put his image on the wall.

asindc
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Lip

That's why I favor a "Wall of Honor" rather than retiring numbers. At some point, you are going to run out of numbers. Having a name on a wall inside the park is no less a tribute, IMO.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
That's why I favor a "Wall of Honor" rather than retiring numbers. At some point, you are going to run out of numbers. Having a name on a wall inside the park is no less a tribute, IMO.

How about some area on the concourse somewhat like Monument Park in Yankee Stadium. Name it the White Sox Hall of Fame and incorporate the existing statues into it. You wouldn't have to worry about numbers, just the greatness of the player with a plaque like Cooperstown, that way Faber and Walsh would be in it as would Mark and of course Paulie. You could still have retired numbers for the best of the best and in that case PK would have his retired but I'm not sure about MB.

kittle42
09-19-2011, 02:13 PM

If the Yankees haven't run out of numbers, the Sox sure won't.

DSpivack
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM

If the Yankees (or Celtics, thinking of what teams have retired the most numbers) aren't going to run out of numbers, then I don't think that will be a big problem for the White Sox.

But what about running out of room on the OF wall?

DSpivack
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
How about some area on the concourse somewhat like monument park in Yankee Stadium. Name it the White Sox Hall of Fame and incorporate the existing statues into it.

I really like this idea.

MarkM2112
09-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Actually, back when they were still playing in Candlestick, the Giants came up with an elegant idea for this. On their "retired numbers" wall, they used the old New York Giants NY instead of the number for the players that didn't have numbers. Maybe the Sox can do something similar by using the old Sox logo for this...

doublem23
09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
The Tigers kind of do something similar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgbaron/2522374921/

asindc
09-19-2011, 02:58 PM
If the Yankees haven't run out of numbers, the Sox sure won't.

I'm not talking about during our lifetimes, I'm talking about generations from now.

kittle42
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm not talking about during our lifetimes, I'm talking about generations from now.

Even at current pace, it wouldn't become any kind of concern for another century-plus. Who knows if the MLB will still exist?

doublem23
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
If the Yankees (or Celtics, thinking of what teams have retired the most numbers) aren't going to run out of numbers, then I don't think that will be a big problem for the White Sox.

But what about running out of room on the OF wall?

Can we start unretiring numbers?

OK, Harold Baines, you had your day in the sun.

seventyseven
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM

Lip

The Cardinals retired Rogers Hornsby's "number" via an old script "STL."

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/4037584691_ba307597be.jpg

wilburaga
09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Retire their imaginary numbers, 'i' for Walsh, '2i' for Faber.

asindc
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Even at current pace, it wouldn't become any kind of concern for another century-plus. Who knows if the MLB will still exist?

Well, if that's the standard, then no issue. I had always thought the idea of retiring someone's number was to memorialize that person's contribution to the franchise indefinitely.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Can we start unretiring numbers?

OK, Harold Baines, you had your day in the sun.

We sort of did it already when we let Omar wear Aparicio's 11.
I know Aparicio said OK to it but it should have never even been addressed.

PaleHoser
09-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I've often wondered whether the "Black Sox" could've pulled off throwing the 1919 World Series had he been available to pitch.

IMO, he's very worthy of being recognized.

According to baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/faberre01.shtml), Faber wore numbers 18 and 19 with the Sox. You could honor him by having him share the retired number with Billy Pierce without creating logistical headaches.

SI1020
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
We sort of did it already when we let Omar wear Aparicio's 11.
I know Aparicio said OK to it but it should have never even been addressed. I agree.

I've often wondered whether the "Black Sox" could've pulled off throwing the 1919 World Series had he been available to pitch.

IMO, he's very worthy of being recognized.

According to baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/faberre01.shtml), Faber wore numbers 18 and 19 with the Sox. You could honor him by having him share the retired number with Billy Pierce without creating logistical headaches. No way. Billy had more than enough disrespect from the HOF. Why should he get more from his own team? Let Faber retire #18. While you're in the wondering frame of mind please consider how the 59 WS might have changed if Lopez had given Billy at least one start.

Lamp81
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Who's to say that numbers 100-199 will never be opened up for wear, once teams retire an excessive amount of numbers?

asindc
09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Who's to say that numbers 100-199 will never be opened up for wear, once teams retire an excessive amount of numbers?

Good point, though it is likely to work less well in basketball, where the officials must constantly refer to the players' numbers.