PDA

View Full Version : Elvis/Mullet/Dog/Heritage/etc. Night

thechico
09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Since Sox attendance is typically lowest in April and September, should the Sox tend to push promotion nights to then?

soltrain21
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I would like to see Elvis and Mullet night burned in a fire. Our promotion schedule needs to be entirely rethought.

doublem23
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Since Sox attendance is typically lowest in April and September, should the Sox tend to push promotion nights to then?

I don't know, this is kind of a chicken and an egg question, do the promotion nights draw well because they are in the summer or because they just draw well?

I am fine with the way things are.

ChiSoxGirl
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I would like to see Elvis and Mullet night burned in a fire. Our promotion schedule needs to be entirely rethought.

This is an interesting comment. About six weeks ago, there was a thread in the Clubhouse discussing how stale some of the promotions are to some people. Truth be told, I think this is something the Sox should strongly consider as a means to possibly revitalize the fan base and entice them to come out to the ballpark. Clearly, some fans need a jolt and maybe a new promotion or the rejuvenation of an old, classic promo would do the organization a world of good.

TomBradley72
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I agree- it's very stale- a few ideas were kind of interesting for a few years- but it's time for a change.

I like "Dog Day", "Irish Night"- tired of Elvis Night, Mullett Night, Rat Pack Night,etc.

I do think they should do something creative for April/May games- make them all half price, or do bobblehead giveaways in those months, etc.

hi im skot
09-19-2011, 10:49 AM
More bobblehead promotions AND ensure that everyone in attendance receives one.

More throwback games.

No more mullet night or Elvis night.

Noneck
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Any promotions related to baseball are fine with me. All others can be scrapped.

GoGoCrede
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM

More throwback games.

Agreed with all of these, but I'd miss mullet and Elvis night, so I say keep 'em both and think of more promotions. It's really annoying that not everyone gets a bobblehead.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd like to see the "Old Timers Game" brought back allowing former Sox players to at least be welcomed by the home fans one last time (in some cases.)

Lip

GoGoCrede
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd like to see the "Old Timers Game" brought back allowing former Sox players to at least be welcomed by the home fans one last time (in some cases.)

Lip

Oooh, that would be amazing!

DumpJerry
09-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Did they change the date on which Elvis (allegedly) died?

Dog night is already in mid-May, by the way.

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Lip

Its funny you should mention that, I'm in the middle of reading "Veeck as in Wreck" and Bill Veeck hated "Old Timers Games". He criticized the Yankees for doing it because it made hero's look like old men. He thought that all old timers day did was make fans think of their own mortality.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Sox used to have this and it was always well received.

Lip

jdm2662
09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Sox used to have this and it was always well received.

Lip

When was the last time they even had one? The last I remember was probably 1990 when the 69 Cubs and 77 Sox played. I just remember Billy Williams hit one out at old Comiskey.

WhiteSox5187
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM

More throwback games.

Yea but instead of having some sort of generic "'70s Night" where they play a bunch of music from the 1970s and have factoids up on the scoreboard why don't you try to recreate the feel of the ballpark back in the 1970s? So that would mean no blaring music (gasp!) and you'd probably have to turn off the scoreboard but that worked very well for the original Turn Back the Clock promotions.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
JDM:

Billy hit his home run into the upper deck in right field during the All Star Old Timer's Game before the 83 All Star Game played the next day.

This was a special event that brought together 60 living Hall of Famers... many of them including Early Wynn, Billy, Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Willie Mays all played in a three inning game if I recall correctly.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I've never made a decision to attend or not attend any game based on a promotion. If they happened to be giving something away at a game I was going to attend anyway, hey, great!

PatK
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
As someone who was a metalhead in the 80s, I like Mullet Night

Noneck
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
An old timer game would be great but if it was this year I have a feeling it would include Guillen, Cora, Walker, Melton, Kittle, Minnie, Stone, Thomas and any other Sox employees. For some reason the Sox rarely bring in former Sox players when they have to put them up and pay the freight. I remember Lip saying that Walt Williams would have loved to come to Sox fest but that never happened.

If an old timer game is done right it would be great. Have many Sox players invited (not only employees), have them in the uniform they played in and finally have the old timers game between games of a Sunday double header. Yea I know, I am a dreamer.

Foulke You
09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Its funny you should mention that, I'm in the middle of reading "Veeck as in Wreck" and Bill Veeck hated "Old Timers Games". He criticized the Yankees for doing it because it made hero's look like old men. He thought that all old timers day did was make fans think of their own mortality.
It's an interesting way of looking at it and I don't disagree with Veeck. Although, on the flip side, there is something about seeing an old hero suit up in a Sox jersey and hat while waving to the hometown fans that warms the baseball soul. I always like to see Minoso or Pierce throw out the first pitch on Opening Day despite never having seen them play in person.

PaleHoser
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
When was the last time they even had one? The last I remember was probably 1990 when the 69 Cubs and 77 Sox played. I just remember Billy Williams hit one out at old Comiskey.

That was the '89 game, and I remember Billy Williams' home run.

The '90 game was the Sunday during the June series with the A's. Sox wore '59 throwbacks, and they brought back the A's from the 1971-75 five time Western Division champion teams.

I recall the Sox brought back Minnie Minoso, Chico Carrasquel, Luis Aparicio, Jorge Orta, Bill Melton, Gary Peters, Wilbur Wood, Ken Berry, to name a few off-hand.

The Southtown Economist ran a picture of Chico Carrasquel and Luis Aparicio in their replica uniforms posing with Ozzie on the left field line. Great picture.

After the Old-Timers game, the players had a private gathering in the picnic area below the centerfield scoreboard. I missed the first six innings of the Sox game waiting for them to come out to get autographs. It's one of my most enduring memories of days at Comiskey Park.

On July 4, 1993, they brought back the '83 Orioles to play the '83 Sox for Old-Timers Day. My enduring memory of that game was when a fan asked an usher:

"Is Tito Landrum here?"
"Yes".
"****er."

There are over 20 seasons of memories at the Cell. I'm with Lip - this is something that should be brought back.

roylestillman
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Agree 100%. The promotion schedule is stale and/or generic (do we really need to trot in that Star Wars night thing that is making the rounds of the parks and is made fun of on every edition of Intentional Talk?) To top it off Elvis night is STILL priced as a Premium (or is it Premier) night. Mark my words they'll add half way to Christmas, like every other park started having his year.

Mullett night should be the first to go and end playing up the Sox fan stereotype...

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM

I don't know if there's been any since 1990, but I remember one in 1986 with Bob Gibson among the players. Gibson hit one to the top of the wall at the 375 sign in left, about five feet in front of me, which spun backwards onto the field. It was mistakenly ruled a double rather than a home run. The only reason I cared was I wondered if Gibson would have seen a brushback pitch if he had batted again . . .

cards press box
09-20-2011, 10:15 AM

More throwback games.

One of these days, the Sox will hopefully use the red pinstripes from the early '70's as a throwback uniform.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8BVcGoREYwc/R9TOEUzIntI/AAAAAAAAA5c/dMdhzTWnjfI/s400/1972+White+Sox+Uniform.jpg

eriqjaffe
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
One of these days, the Sox will hopefully use the red pinstripes from the early '70's as a throwback uniform.IIRC, The Sox are on record as saying they won't wear uniforms that aren't from a season when they won a title, which is disappointing because it rules out huge swaths of club uniform history.

All I know is that I want mullet night to go away. It's embarrassing.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Eriq:

Here is Brooks' quote:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans." (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

Rocky Soprano
09-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I just wish that Dog Day was on the weekend.

TomBradley72
09-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Eriq:

Here is Brooks' quote:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans." (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

They should listen to their fans- screw the green uniforms and the camouflage crap, etc.- the red unis and the '72 team are a big deal to fans from that era- pick a series where Oakland comes in- have them wear their unis from that era and have the Sox wear the red ones.

If you can- have an old timers game as well- with Dick Allen returning and Wilbur Wood fluttering a few knuckleballs up there.

Just don't re-install the astroturf infield.

cards press box
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
They should listen to their fans- screw the green uniforms and the camouflage crap, etc.- the red unis and the '72 team are a big deal to fans from that era- pick a series where Oakland comes in- have them wear their unis from that era and have the Sox wear the red ones.

If you can- have an old timers game as well- with Dick Allen returning and Wilbur Wood fluttering a few knuckleballs up there.

Just don't re-install the astroturf infield.

That is just an outstanding idea. You and Lip are right: for fans of our generation, the red stripe unis mean a lot! To this day, I remember my older brother and two older cousins surprising me with tickets to a twi-night doubleheader against that Oakland team in 1972. The teams played great ball and split the doubleheader. I remember that night like it was yesterday.

Yes, the Sox fell short of the World Champion A's that year. But that is no reason not to honor them. The Sox of the red pinstripes era were our team and, lest we forget, Dick Allen probably saved American League baseball in Chicago.