PDA

View Full Version : AL Cy Young: Adam Dunn

downstairs
09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/baseballs-annual-awards-2011-edition,26098/

Funny...

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Not funny at all, its sad and embarrassing.

GlassSox
09-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Yep, sad & embarrassing but also :roflmao:

Hitmen77
09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Ouch.

soxfanatlanta
09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Ouch.

Ouch, indeed!

:roflmao:

BleacherBandit
09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
The man almost had the worst batting season ever. Makes sense. Touche, Onion.

TheCommander
09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Not funny at all, its sad and embarrassing.

Might as well get something in return for our misery-even if it is at the expense of one of our own. :dunno:

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2011, 09:12 PM
:rolling:

If he extends this into spring training next year, they should have some serious thoughts about what to do with Dunn.

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM

If he extends this into spring training next year, they should have some serious thoughts about what to do with Dunn.

They can't fire him or rip up his contract, maybe they would shame him into quitting.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I would make him the biggest laughing stock of this franchise. Kind of sick of all of this he's a good guy bull**** so lets not rail him. Nooo, he's a a guy that has no work ethic in a league that pays him millions to make sure he keeps it.

I'm sorry man, but everyone can like you and you can be a clubhouse guy but if you suck while getting paid millions of dollars and refusing to better yourself then you have no respect for the job you have and I have zero respect for you.

Everything with this guy is just an excuse. Bla bla bla, say it for what it is- mr. Dunn is worthless and would have been fine if he ever cared about his job.

He didn't, and here we have wasted 14 million out of his horrific contract.

EDIT: and the only reason I say the final statement like I did is because I do want to see what he will do next year.

My belief is that people don't change so I doubt he will, but I have been proven wrong so lets see.

DumpJerry
09-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Other than having the CIA render him to a cell in central Europe, there are not many options available to the Sox.

Now, if Hendry gets a GM position with a team.........:bandance:

DSpivack
09-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I would make him the biggest laughing stock of this franchise. Kind of sick of all of this he's a good guy bull**** so lets not rail him. Nooo, he's a a guy that has no work ethic in a league that pays him millions to make sure he keeps it.

I'm sorry man, but everyone can like you and you can be a clubhouse guy but if you suck while getting paid millions of dollars and refusing to better yourself then you have no respect for the job you have and I have zero respect for you.

Everything with this guy is just an excuse. Bla bla bla, say it for what it is- mr. Dunn is worthless and would have been fine if he ever cared about his job.

He didn't, and here we have wasted 14 million out of his horrific contract.

EDIT: and the only reason I say the final statement like I did is because I do want to see what he will do next year.

My belief is that people don't change so I doubt he will, but I have been proven wrong so lets see.

I never thought I'd see a White Sox player look worse than Jaime Navarro.

Adam Dunn has done that.

And Alex Rios isn't far behind.

I've only been watching this team for 20 years, but I think Dunn's season is worst I've ever seen by a White Sox player.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2011, 12:26 AM
I've only been watching this team for 20 years, but I think Dunn's season is worst I've ever seen by a White Sox player.

I concur, and I've been a fan for maybe a bit longer.

DSpivack
09-18-2011, 02:19 AM
I concur, and I've been a fan for maybe a bit longer.

Probably a bit less than 20 years, to be exact, I think what swung me towards the White Sox for good was my dad taking me to an ALCS game in 1993.

Noneck
09-18-2011, 02:37 AM

Ive been watching for over a half a century but it appears that even if someone has been around for a full century, they wouldnt have seen anything like this Dunn year. Thats not only with the Sox but with any major league team.

Garland_IS_God
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM
I really think the Sox should make Dunn get his eyes checked. Maybe he needs glasses. No Joke!

Crestani
09-18-2011, 11:19 AM

You think...??? :scratch:

downstairs
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
They can't fire him or rip up his contract, maybe they would shame him into quitting.

That's one thing I don't understand. Why can't the owners at least negotiate the ability to can a player if they're so tremendously bad. Like performing at 1/3 what he's performed in past seasons.

downstairs
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Actually, its arguably (and this isn't hyperbole- there have been articles written about it) the worst season of any major league player, ever. At least the modern era.

LITTLE NELL
09-18-2011, 11:35 AM
That's one thing I don't understand. Why can't the owners at least negotiate the ability to can a player if they're so tremendously bad. Like performing at 1/3 what he's performed in past seasons.

That is the bad side of long term contracts. We are stuck with him and Rios for awhile. Like I said before, if he stinks up the place next year then management, the fans and the media have to shame him into quitting.
I hope it doesn't come to that, right now I hope he wins the Comeback Player of the Year Award with Rios in 2nd place.

DumpJerry
09-18-2011, 12:36 PM
There's risk for both sides in any contract (sports or otherwise). This is the nature of the beast. Also, if the owner thinks the guy might not play up to expectations (but still wants to give him the equivalent of the GNP of a small country), they put performance incentives in the contract.

Max Power
09-19-2011, 05:47 PM
There's risk for both sides in any contract (sports or otherwise). This is the nature of the beast. Also, if the owner thinks the guy might not play up to expectations (but still wants to give him the equivalent of the GNP of a small country), they put performance incentives in the contract.

JR should have brought out the "diminished skills" clause when doing Dunn's contract.

MetroPD
09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I thought it was hilarious. This is a game we are talking about right? I love the Sox as much as the next man but I would never let a tongue in cheek article (which was done quite well) affect me.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2011, 12:52 AM
JR should have brought out the "diminished skills" clause when doing Dunn's contract.If you'll remember, they practically had to beg him to take the contract and come to the AL to DH. There's no way he'd have accepted a clause like that, and for whatever reason they were desperate to get him.

gobears1987
09-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Adam Dunn is having what is perhaps the worst single season performance by a professional baseball player since the National League was founded in 1876. Try to wrap your head around that embarrassing fact. I'm so glad I cancelled by MLB.tv in May when I began working 70 hours a week. It saved me a lot of aggravation.

ClawsDeep
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
The real question is whether Ozzie will let Dunn qualify for the batting title. He needs 40 more plate appearences with only 10 games to go.

If he does qualify, he will have the lowest batting average for a qualifying player in the live ball era. He would also probably have more strikeouts than his batting average * 1000, which has only been done once before.

I really dont think Ozzie will let this happen.

gobears1987
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
The real question is whether Ozzie will let Dunn qualify for the batting title. He needs 40 more plate appearences with only 10 games to go.

If he does qualify, he will have the lowest batting average for a qualifying player in the live ball era. He would also probably have more strikeouts than his batting average * 1000, which has only been done once before.

I really dont think Ozzie will let this happen.

He should let Dunn reach that mark as punishment for sucking so much.

asindc
09-20-2011, 12:01 PM

I prefer to see him get the chance and fail to do so, but I get your point.

downstairs
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM

100% agreed.

russ99
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
If you'll remember, they practically had to beg him to take the contract and come to the AL to DH. There's no way he'd have accepted a clause like that, and for whatever reason they were desperate to get him.

There's two reasons they were desperate to get Dunn: they missed out on Victor Martinez (I've read that the Sox were "outbid" from more than a few sources, yet Dunn has a bigger contract than VMart. Hmmm...) and at the time chances were slim that Paul was coming back.

If there was some truth the the thought that Paul re-upped due to the Dunn signing when he could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, I'd almost stomach this horrid season if it means that we get to see Konerko in a Sox uniform for at least 2 more years.

Railsplitter
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Yep, sad & embarrassing but also :roflmao:

Concur.