PDA

View Full Version : Can MLB do anything about the umpires?

Fenway
09-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I heard more than one media person ask last night

How much $$$$$ does Hunter Wendelstedt have on the Red Sox.

His strike zone was so one-sided in the Red Sox favor it was just hard to watch.

Joe Maddon can expect a fine for what he said after the game.

"It was an egregiously bad strike zone tonight, and I really hope that somebody takes a look at it because it was that bad. Our hitters were at a great disadvantage tonight; they really were. And I definitely saw it as being one-sided."

Francona said he didn't blame Maddon one bit, it was hideous how bad the umpire was.

doublem23
09-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Two things they can do RIGHT NOW that would likely solve a lot of problems

Home plate ump does not call balls and strikes any more.
All umpires have to reapply for their positions maybe every 2-3 years. No more old boy's club bull****.

Fenway
09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Two things they can do RIGHT NOW that would likely solve a lot of problems

Home plate ump does not call balls and strikes any more.
All umpires have to reapply for their positions maybe every 2-3 years. No more old boy's club bull****.

It really is a shame that what in effect was a playoff game could be ruined by the home plate umpire. He was giving Beckett every call and gave Sheilds nothing.

Tampa is on life support now - had they won last night they would be only 2 back but....

The sad part is there are many good young umpires in AAA who make almost nothing in salary and are just stuck there as MLB keeps some of these bozos in place.

Daver
09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
The umpires union is solely controlled by Bud Selig.

downstairs
09-17-2011, 11:47 AM
I've been watching baseball since 1981. I love the game. But the whole arbitrary strike zone thing completely turns me off. It really makes me want to hate the game.

NFL refs can make a call within inches (in bounds, out of bounds) often without the need for replay. Tennis too.

The strike zone needs to be more clearly defined. I don't know how, but every other sport has been able to define boundries within inches.

asindc
09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I've always contended that MLB umpires are the worst among the four major sports, and balls and strikes calls are a major reason why. I saw parts of the Tampa-Boston game yesterday, and it was as bad as Fenway says from what I saw. There was an at bat by Kotchman with RISP and the ump called a strike that was clearly 4-5 inches off the plate. MLB Network had the NESN feed, and even the Boston announcers were incredulous.

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Watched the Rays game last night and the call on Upton that got Maddon thrown out was a joke . I realize its not any easy thing to do calling balls and strikes as there are no real lines that define the strike zone but that bozo wasn't even close last night. Maybe its time for an electronic strike zone like they show on TV. It can be incorporated into MLB stadium scoreboards.

Bump34
09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
pitchFx data showed that Hunter Wendelstedt called 6 pitches that should have been balls...strikes against the Rays... and there was not a single pitch called that way against the Red Sox...

The Rays have a tough enough time hitting with a fair strike zone much less one that was called by Wendelstedt...

Joe Maddon called the zone egregious and one sided...:angry::angry::angry:

spongyfungy
09-17-2011, 02:18 PM
With PITCHf/x and questec, there is no reason why umps should be calling balls and strikes. I wish questec's grading system was made public after every game.

It's not just bias for the veteran players who "earned" it but even racial bias has become a story (http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/09/umpires-show-ethnic-bias-in-ballstrike-callsunless-theyre-feeling-watched.ars?comments=1#comments-bar).

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
High and low is still somewhat subjective because every batter is a different height and has a different stance.

But a pitch is either over the plate or it is not. Period.

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
High and low is still somewhat subjective because every batter is a different height and has a different stance.

But a pitch is either over the plate or it is not. Period.

Back in the day the NL umps always stood behind the catcher but off to the side on the inside corner and AL umps when they had the big outer chest protector stood directly behind the catcher. It was always said that the NL umps missed a lot of calls on the outside corner as they were set up on the inside corner. I think all the umps now do it the old NL way and maybe thats why they are missing a lot of calls.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Ya know, I wouldn't be too surprised if MLB didn't really want to punish an umpire giving the benefit to Boston while they are trying to fight off the Rays for the playoffs.

Fenway
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Ya know, I wouldn't be too surprised if MLB didn't really want to punish an umpire giving the benefit to Boston while they are trying to fight off the Rays for the playoffs.

Many at Fenway are thinking the same thing.

Zakath
09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Wendelstedt's had a little history with an inconsistent strike zone. Just ask Ron Gardenhire. Apparently, he didn't inherit his father's ability to umpire (though there was some controversy about the elder Wendelstedt with Don Drysdale's scoreless inning streak).

Most players and managers usually won't complain too much if it's consistent both ways. I'm almost surprised that umpires don't come out and say what their strike zone's going to be, but teams pretty much know what each guy calls and what he doesn't.

Baseball "benefits" a lot more if it's the Red Sox in the playoffs vs. the Rays, so those who are so inclined may don their conspiracy hats and speculate...

central44
09-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Stories like this are depressing. The last thing I want to see is MLB officiating become a farce like the NBA, where certain players and teams get most calls.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Stories like this are depressing. The last thing I want to see is MLB officiating become a farce like the NBA, where certain players and teams get most calls.

And that's a no. Maybe back in the day, but regulations have gotten better. Only thing that slightly sucks in the NBA is the seniority rule where the players actually get calls based off experience but that's widespread and not just stuck to teams.

DumpJerry
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Personally, it's been driving me crazy is how they are constantly calling strikes on Adam Dunn, even when he swings and misses.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Personally, it's been driving me crazy is how they are constantly calling strikes on Adam Dunn, even when he swings and misses.

Absolute horse****.

pythons007
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't understand why they give anything off the plate at all. The plate is clearly defined. It's not like it's little leaguers who are having a hard time getting the ball over the plate where you need to expand the strikezone to have the game move along. These are major league pitchers!

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't understand why they give anything off the plate at all. The plate is clearly defined. It's not like it's little leaguers who are having a hard time getting the ball over the plate where you need to expand the strikezone to have the game move along. These are major league pitchers!

http://www.mlbvoice.com/_IMAGES/greg-maddux-ap2.jpg "Hey, watch it now! I made a very nice living 6" outside!"

asindc
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.mlbvoice.com/_IMAGES/greg-maddux-ap2.jpg "Hey, watch it now! I made a very nice living 6" outside!"

QFT. He and Glavine ought to contribute to the MLB Umpire Association's charity of choice each and every year.

mrfourni
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
. Maybe its time for an electronic strike zone like they show on TV. It can be incorporated into MLB stadium scoreboards.

Would the Cubs still use a manual scoreboard to update pitch locations?

PatK
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
QFT. He and Glavine ought to contribute to the MLB Umpire Association's charity of choice each and every year.

If you remember, Glavine started going downhill fast when he moved to a team that was a Questec park

Luke
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
How much, if any time do umps spend reviewing a game and calls they may have missed? Does MLB or the union have any mechanism for them to improve?

I used to work with a guy that was a Big Ten football official on the weekends, and it was fascinating to hear all the explanations for calls that seemed bad, and what the repercussions were. They weren't getting reamed necessarily, but they would try to figure out how not to miss a call, or why it was missed so that it didn't happen again.

I get the feeling that umpires don't even consider that they may have gotten balls and strikes let alone spend time figuring out how to get it right. Am I wrong on this?

roylestillman
09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Man, I'm surprised Fenway isn't back on here after the blown call this afternoon on that shot down the left field line by Ortiz. It was called foul, even though the replay showed it fair by feet. Could have cost them that game.