PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory poll option

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2011, 12:17 AM
It has struck me, based on the postings of WSIers who attend games regularly, that perhaps it has become time to change the mandatory poll option from churros to nacho helmets. Whaddaya say?

GoGoCrede
09-17-2011, 01:50 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about the helmets, but the churros are steeped in history, both on WSI and in the ballpark. I say churros (but stop serving them cold and/or stale, vendors!).

doublem23
09-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Churros still make for a great poll option, but, and maybe I have just been unlucky, but I have not had a good churro at the park in years.

DumpJerry
09-17-2011, 06:51 AM
During the last homestand, I tried the flautas and found them to be pretty good.

Moses_Scurry
09-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I don't see why there can't be 2 mandatory options on every poll. I've been to Comiskey twice this year, and I have not seen the nacho helmets. I envision them being like the thing Homer was wearing at the football game. Is that accurate?

doublem23
09-17-2011, 07:50 AM
I don't see why there can't be 2 mandatory options on every poll. I've been to Comiskey twice this year, and I have not seen the nacho helmets. I envision them being like the thing Homer was wearing at the football game. Is that accurate?

No, it's just a plastic batting helmet that's full of nachos instead of some guy's head.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/5743951974_2d91531086.jpg

soxfanatlanta
09-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Taking out churros as an option?

Stop this nonsense immediately.

Chez
09-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Adding the nacho helmet as an option is like adding a second wild card team from each league to the playoffs. If it ain't broke . . .

Daver
09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Adding the nacho helmet as an option is like adding a second wild card team from each league to the playoffs. If it ain't broke . . .

It wasn't broke when they added the wildcard in the first place.

Chez
09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
It wasn't broke when they added the wildcard in the first place.

I felt the same way in 1995. I've come around and now like it -- keeps more fandoms interested in September. We don't know yet if the Nacho Helmet, like Gordon Beckham, is a one-year wonder. :smile:

downstairs
09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
The batting helmet nachos are not unique to the White Sox. Churros are, I believe (do other MLB teams cel... I mean sell... them?)

doublem23
09-17-2011, 11:17 AM
The batting helmet nachos are not unique to the White Sox. Churros are, I believe (do other MLB teams cel... I mean sell... them?)

I can't believe any other team in a big Latino market wouldn't. They're delicious, cheap, and easy to make. They're just a little unknown to you gringos. :cool:

DSpivack
09-17-2011, 11:29 AM

I can't believe any other team in a big Latino market wouldn't. They're delicious, cheap, and easy to make. They're just a little unknown to you gringos. :cool:

I think I saw them at Coors Field, not sure. I know I've seen them at some other park.

Johnny Mostil
09-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about the helmets, but the churros are steeped in history, both on WSI and in the ballpark. I say churros (but stop serving them cold and/or stale, vendors!).

Churros still make for a great poll option, but, and maybe I have just been unlucky, but I have not had a good churro at the park in years.

Hmmmm . . . when did the churros first become cold or stale? Are new churro vendors the only thing the team needs?:duck:

voodoochile
09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Hmmmm . . . when did the churros first become cold or stale? Are new churro vendors the only thing the team needs?:duck:

The churros have lost their fire and passion. We need more grindiness from the churros and the vendors are clearly not motivating them to be all the creme filled goodness they can be. However, personally, I blame the food and beverage director for not stocking the carts with younger churros which would satisfy hungriness as well as the helmet nachoes do. In the end it all come back to JR. He hired the F&B guy and he's clearly getting in between him and the vendors not allowing them to be fired and forcing the F&B to work with churro sellers who he clearly doesn't respect or get along with.

It's really a shame how far our churros have fallen, but for they haven't had the same taste or zest since mid-summer 2006. Maybe it is indeed to back up the truck and start from scratch.

Johnny Mostil
09-18-2011, 10:42 AM
The churros have lost their fire and passion. We need more grindiness from the churros and the vendors are clearly not motivating them to be all the creme filled goodness they can be. However, personally, I blame the food and beverage director for not stocking the carts with younger churros which would satisfy hungriness as well as the helmet nachoes do. In the end it all come back to JR. He hired the F&B guy and he's clearly getting in between him and the vendors not allowing them to be fired and forcing the F&B to work with churro sellers who he clearly doesn't respect or get along with.

It's really a shame how far our churros have fallen, but for they haven't had the same taste or zest since mid-summer 2006. Maybe it is indeed to back up the truck and start from scratch.

:thumbsup:

But how do our churros compare to those in other large markets? And are we working hard enough in spring training or even throughout the season on churro fundamentals?:wink:

Daver
09-18-2011, 10:46 AM

I think the real problem is they won't pay over slot for the Churro vendors they get in the vendor draft.

ChiSoxGal85
09-18-2011, 11:54 AM
You all are cracking me up with the churros finger pointing. :rolling:

I haven't had the nachos helmet yet so I can't comment on replacing churros with them.

But I had never tried a churro until a Sox game last year. I wanted to see what all the hype was about, so I got one. It was just ok. I thought, well, maybe churros just are not my thing. Then last week at a festival here in my town I got some churros from a Mexican food booth. They were TO DIE for - hot and sweet and fresh and just awesome. If that's what they are supposed to be like...churros rule! It sounds like I'm not the only one unimpressed with the ones at the Cell, though.

DirtySox
09-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I think the real problem is they won't pay over slot for the Churro vendors they get in the vendor draft.

Nice.

DumpJerry
09-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Fire Walker.

Frater Perdurabo
09-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Fire Walker.

Is it Walker's fault that Dunn's been using a giant churro instead of a Louisville Slugger?

Johnny Mostil
09-18-2011, 09:37 PM

More Boras clients?:wink:

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2011, 11:47 PM
NOW the thread is getting into the kind of deep analysis I was looking for! Are the churros just having an off year, or is it reasonable to think that they may be at the end of their run and will be heading downhill from here? Are the nacho helmets a one-year wonder, and we'll all be wishing we'd given the churros more time, or are they the comestibles of the future? Man, this baseball prognostication is hard.

thechico
09-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Viva los Churros! :bandance:

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2011, 07:43 AM
NOW the thread is getting into the kind of deep analysis I was looking for! Are the churros just having an off year, or is it reasonable to think that they may be at the end of their run and will be heading downhill from here? Are the nacho helmets a one-year wonder, and we'll all be wishing we'd given the churros more time, or are they the comestibles of the future? Man, this baseball prognostication is hard.

Perhaps somebody changed the churro recipe in mid-2006?

The nachos can clearly hit, but can they field all parts of the market?

October26
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Perhaps somebody changed the churro recipe in mid-2006?

The nachos can clearly hit, but can they field all parts of the market?

You, Sir, raise some excellent questions which, I believe, require internet reasearch to answer. I would also like to add these questions to the mix: What is the origin of the churro? Do Mexicans make the best churros? Can churros made in Venezuela play well with churros made in America? Do Cubans know what churros are? How about Australians - have they ever heard of churros?

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
You, Sir, raise some excellent questions which, I believe, require internet reasearch to answer. I would also like to add these questions to the mix: What is the origin of the churro? Do Mexicans make the best churros? Can churros made in Venezuela play well with churros made in America? Do Cubans know what churros are? How about Australians - have they ever heard of churros?

Thank you! Here are some more: should the nachos stay at the Cel next year or go to Charlotte for more seasoning? Would this affect the time until some other team could sign them? Should the Sox just showcase the nachos before trading them for an item in an area where they may be weaker, or maybe even to help rebuild the farm system? Can Coop fix 'em?:duck:

doublem23
09-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Thank you! Here are some more: should the nachos stay at the Cel next year or go to Charlotte for more seasoning? Would this affect the time until some other team could sign them? Should the Sox just showcase the nachos before trading them for an item in an area where they may be weaker, or maybe even to help rebuild the farm system? Can Coop fix 'em?:duck:

If the nachos have to sit a year in the minors just because we owe some money to churro vendors, I am just going to snap. Time to get creative to make sure they're all regulars in Chicago in 2012.

Railsplitter
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes, especially since you taste the sugar more than anything else on the churros

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
If the nachos have to sit a year in the minors just because we owe some money to churro vendors, I am just going to snap. Time to get creative to make sure they're all regulars in Chicago in 2012.

Are the churro vendors getting too much money not to be in the lineup? And can the nachos really handle the pressure that comes with the churros' place in the lineup? Maybe a platoon would work, with nachos for left-handed customers?

PaleHoser
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm just brainstorming here, but what would fans of WSI do if they offered your choice of a mix of churros served in a nacho helmet?

voodoochile
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm just brainstorming here, but what would fans of WSI do if they offered your choice of a mix of churros served in a nacho helmet?

With cheese sauce, steak and guacamole or without?