PDA

View Full Version : Sox news and notes from Gammons

Jerry_Manuel
07-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Scouts in the Cape Cod League have wondered about the college kid tagging along with White Sox scouts. He's David Reinsdorf, a Cornell student and son of the owner, who is out learning scouting. Instead of sitting upstairs in an air-conditioned office, he is out learning the essence of the game.

The White Sox have already begun shopping Kenny Lofton, Carlos Lee, Ray Durham (who is a free agent), Royce Clayton, Todd Ritchie and some of their relievers as they try to decide which kids to put in the lineup. Jerry Manuel's future is another issue.

BuehrleACE56
07-14-2002, 04:03 PM
I dont mind them shopping any of those guys. Just be sure to hang onto Paulie and Magglio. Keep Buehrle and Garland too. We need changes. Including MANAGEMENT!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Scouts in the Cape Cod League have wondered about the college kid tagging along with White Sox scouts. He's David Reinsdorf, a Cornell student and son of the owner, who is out learning scouting. Instead of sitting upstairs in an air-conditioned office, he is out learning the essence of the game.

This is NOT a good sign. If Reinsdorf intends to turn over the Sox to his son, the easiest way to pay the inheritance tax is to reap another financial windfall--like moving the Sox. This is precisely what Art Modell did with the Cleveland Browns so his idiot kid could keep control of the team, now in Baltimore. Let's not forget Bill Wrigley sold the Flubs to the Cubune because he couldn't afford the inheritance taxes when P.K. and his mom died, too.

The bad news just keeps rolling in these days...

:(:

Soxheads
07-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Of course it it. Don't forget, George, we're fans of the Chicago White Sox. It's our tradition!

TornLabrum
07-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

This is NOT a good sign. If Reinsdorf intends to turn over the Sox to his son, the easiest way to pay the inheritance tax is to reap another financial windfall--like moving the Sox. This is precisely what Art Modell did with the Cleveland Browns so his idiot kid could keep control of the team, now in Baltimore. Let's not forget Bill Wrigley sold the Flubs to the Cubune because he couldn't afford the inheritance taxes when P.K. and his mom died, too.

:(:

Don't panic, George. I think Reinsdorf only owns something like 5 or 10 percent of the club. Plus he has all of the money from his real estate dealings. The Sox aren't going to move just because someone who owns 10% of the club can't pay his taxes.

The other thing to remember is that baseball, unlike football, can block any owner who wants to move his team due to the anti-trust examption it enjoys.

palehosemike
07-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know who holds ownership and thier respective percentage of the team?

Mike

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Don't panic, George. I think Reinsdorf only owns something like 5 or 10 percent of the club. Plus he has all of the money from his real estate dealings. The Sox aren't going to move just because someone who owns 10% of the club can't pay his taxes.

The other thing to remember is that baseball, unlike football, can block any owner who wants to move his team due to the anti-trust examption it enjoys.

Thanks for cheering me up, Labrum. I feel better already knowing the Sox will just keep sucking on the South Side!

Woo hoo!

:)

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
I dont mind them shopping any of those guys. Just be sure to hang onto Paulie and Magglio. Keep Buehrle and Garland too. We need changes. Including MANAGEMENT!

It's Reinsdorf who needs to go!!

Tragg
07-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56

I wouldn't trade Ritchie - he's at the bottom of his trading value - probably wouldn't get mediocre middle relief value in return. He certainly should be able to work on a few things and return to #4 starter status. No point in giving him away.

guillen4life13
07-14-2002, 07:25 PM
how bout just firing nardi?

baggio202
07-15-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

I wouldn't trade Ritchie - he's at the bottom of his trading value - probably wouldn't get mediocre middle relief value in return. He certainly should be able to work on a few things and return to #4 starter status. No point in giving him away.

will ritchie ever be worth anything??...he is a glorified version of anthony young

Procol Harum
07-15-2002, 10:19 AM
I guess the good news in Gammons' blurbs is that it holds out the possibility that there may yet be someone with the name of Reinsdorf who knows a little something about baseball.... :smile:

Tragg
07-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

will ritchie ever be worth anything??...he is a glorified version of anthony young

Now, now, Ritchie has had seasons with double figures in wins; did young ever win a game?

I've seen Ritchie pitch. He's a #4, maybe a 3. But he's got to throw inside and he's got to hit those corners. His stuff down the middle is batting practice.

rmusacch
07-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

Anthony Young was better than Ritchie.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I guess the good news in Gammons' blurbs is that it holds out the possibility that there may yet be someone with the name of Reinsdorf who knows a little something about baseball.... :smile:

or he could be the second coming of
:KW