PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Defends Kenny

Lip Man 1
09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Says he should return as G.M. Fans should blame him (Ozzie) and the players for bad season...not JR or Kenny:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-guillen-williams-deserves-to-stay-as-soxs-gm-points-blame-at-himself-20110915,0,4633007.story

Lip

Madvora
09-15-2011, 07:11 PM
This guy is talking like he's already been given the news.

soltrain21
09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I've never wanted something to be over more than this season/drama.

Vernam
09-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Too little, too late. If he'd said this a month ago, I might have supported Ozzie's return. He speaks some real truth here -- a lot of the people screaming for Kenny's head were originally excited about acquisitions like Peavy and Dunn. Fortunately, we don't get paid to make those decisions. If Reinsdorf thinks Kenny deserves a chance to right this ship, I will support his return.

The real self-destruction of Ozzie's antics from late August until today is that, if he'd for once kept his ****ing mouth shut, he probably would have received a fair amount of credit for keeping this bad team in contention as long as he did. Instead, he shot off his mouth about an extension, took the cowardly route of venting on background to his stooge Cowley (though Ozzie is equally Cowley's stooge), and at last alienated many of us who had fully supported him through the years.

I'll be sad to see him go because it's the end of a mostly fun Sox era, but I won't feel sorry for him in the slightest. As Barry Rozner wrote, Guillen could have had a job for as long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns the team, but instead he threw it all away and revealed himself to be the type of low-character person that his enemies had always claimed he was. He betrayed the fans and the men who hired him, and his words today ring hollow. Maybe he really does realize how he blew it, but I doubt he's capable of such introspection -- he's too busy running his mouth.

Vernam

ilsox7
09-15-2011, 07:29 PM
This guy is talking like he's already been given the news.

Whether he's "officially" been given the news or not, I really think he has been told. He seems to be going through the "grieving" process right now, just sad it is in the public eye.

kevingrt
09-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Never.

Dibbs
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I really don't care what Ozzie has to say. I've never put stock into anything he says. He is like a much less intelligent Charles Barkley. Ozzie spouts off any idea that crosses his mind.

dickallen15
09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't this contradict what Cowley reports Ozzie's wishes are? So someone should ask Joe if Ozzie is lying or just biting his tongue for a $2 million payout.

WhiteSox5187
09-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I still think both Ozzie and Kenny need to go but it sounds like only Ozzie will go. I hope he at least has the class to go quietly and those quotes are a good step.

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I eagerly anticipate the reaction of the Ozzpologists.

ode to veeck
09-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Wouldn't this contradict what Cowley reports Ozzie's wishes are? So someone should ask Joe if Ozzie is lying or just biting his tongue for a $2 million payout.

Cowley isn't even reliable for anything, even info about Ozzie...why does anyone bother to even read him or care what nonsense he drivels about.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I eagerly anticipate the reaction of the Ozzpologists.

Blargh, the LYNCH MOBę gets its wishes, and you'll all want the new manager gone if we don't go 26-2 the first month next year! Nothing will satisfy you, you'll just find something else to lynch!!

I still think both Ozzie and Kenny need to go but it sounds like only Ozzie will go. I hope he at least has the class to go quietly and those quotes are a good step.

Ozzie might (because of Reinsdorf), but I'm not too sure that his idiot kid won't have some choice words once he's officially gone.

MetroPD
09-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I really don't care what Ozzie has to say. I've never put stock into anything he says. He is like a much less intelligent Charles Barkley. Ozzie spouts off any idea that crosses his mind.
thats probably the most accurate comparison I've read.

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Blargh, the LYNCH MOBę gets its wishes, and you'll all want the new manager gone if we don't go 26-2 the first month next year! Nothing will satisfy you, you'll just find something else to lynch!!

Seriously, Ozzie has denied both of the Ozzpologists' arguments: That KW is at fault; and that Ozzie is not at fault.

hi im skot
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM

:thumbsup:

soxinem1
09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
For the first time in a long while, I agree with Ozzie.

Maybe we can package Dunn and Guillen to FLA for......... whatever. They can celebrate having then along to open the Marlins' new ballpark.

russ99
09-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Seriously, Ozzie has denied both of the Ozzpologists' arguments: That KW is at fault; and that Ozzie is not at fault.

Yeah whatever. The guy is obviously gladhanding.

The Sox are what they are, a .500 team... All in!

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah whatever. The guy is obviously gladhanding.

The Sox are what they are, a .500 team... All in!

We shall see. Who wins a division first? Ozzie without Kenny, or Kenny without Ozzie?

A. Cavatica
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
We shall see. Who wins a division first? Ozzie without Kenny, or Kenny without Ozzie?

I don't doubt that Ozzie will do much better in Florida than here. As a manager, he's always reminded me of Billy Martin -- the energy is good for a quick fix and the teams turn around quickly, but the act wears thin after a few years.

Plus he'll be moving to a team that isn't hamstrung by terrible contracts and a poor minor league system.

WhiteSox5187
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Well Kenny hasn't won anything without Ozzie so I think that there is a fairly good chance that Ozzie could win something before Kenny does.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Cavatica:

Except history seems to show that Ozzie doesn't care for kids. As he himself has said many times, (paraphrasing) "the minor leagues are for teaching, the major leagues are for winning..."

How he's going to deal with basically nothing but kids with Florida is going to be an interesting sight to see.

Lip

soxfan1965
09-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Maybe we can package Dunn and Guillen to FLA for......... whatever. They can celebrate having then along to open the Marlins' new ballpark.
In the spirit of the Chicago Skyway and Chicago parking meters, ship KW, Dunn, Rios, Peavy, and Ozzie to Florida for 99 years of nacho helmet revenues at the Cell.

Seriously, KW and Ozzie did bring us 2005, which we are grateful and have for keeps, but it's probably time to move on. Losing the first round draft pick for Dunn will hurt, but the organization needs to be rebuilt -- you win some and lose some, but keep the magnitute of the latter to a minimum. That, unfortunately, will stick with KW legacy here, in spite of the good smaller deals that helped the team.

rpmorri
09-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ozzie can stay or go, I'm fine either way. I'm done with this team until Williams is out on his ass. He does NOT know what the **** he's doing.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ozzie can stay or go, I'm fine either way. I'm done with this team until Williams is out on his ass. He does NOT know what the **** he's doing.

Hi Joe Cowley.

hawkjt
09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Too little, too late. If he'd said this a month ago, I might have supported Ozzie's return. He speaks some real truth here -- a lot of the people screaming for Kenny's head were originally excited about acquisitions like Peavy and Dunn. Fortunately, we don't get paid to make those decisions. If Reinsdorf thinks Kenny deserves a chance to right this ship, I will support his return.

The real self-destruction of Ozzie's antics from late August until today is that, if he'd for once kept his ****ing mouth shut, he probably would have received a fair amount of credit for keeping this bad team in contention as long as he did. Instead, he shot off his mouth about an extension, took the cowardly route of venting on background to his stooge Cowley (though Ozzie is equally Cowley's stooge), and at last alienated many of us who had fully supported him through the years.

I'll be sad to see him go because it's the end of a mostly fun Sox era, but I won't feel sorry for him in the slightest. As Barry Rozner wrote, Guillen could have had a job for as long as Jerry Reinsdorf owns the team, but instead he threw it all away and revealed himself to be the type of low-character person that his enemies had always claimed he was. He betrayed the fans and the men who hired him, and his words today ring hollow. Maybe he really does realize how he blew it, but I doubt he's capable of such introspection -- he's too busy running his mouth.

Vernam

Agree. The thing is,that I cannot really remember Ozzie ever coming straight out and criticizing Kenny himself. That is the tricky thing about this weird dynamic with Cowley. Cowley seemed to be speaking for Ozzie after awhile,and so when Cowley went scorched earth on Kenny, it became Ozzie going scorched earth on Kenny. And so now,when he throws out platitudes to Kenny, it sounds hollow.

Cowley was on Mac and Spiegs today, and he said that in the end,it boiled down to pure jealousy on Ozzie's part that Kenny is perceived as having done a better job in JR's eyes,altho Cowley did not use the word jealousy.

As Spiegs said,it was so stupid. There is absolutely no reason that this should have have been a good working relationship. Remember the whole Ozzie website controversy....in this tweet it seems like he is setting something up? That seems like a red flag that he is moving on already.

asindc
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Well Kenny hasn't won anything without Ozzie so I think that there is a fairly good chance that Ozzie could win something before Kenny does.

Ozzie hasn't won anything without Kenny, so what's the difference?

Soxman219
09-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Ozzie hasn't won anything without Kenny, so what's the difference?

He won with the Marlins in 2003.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2011, 10:30 AM
He won with the Marlins in 2003.

He wasn't the manager.