PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: Sox haven't had the "fight" lately

Frater Perdurabo
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Linkage (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0915-white-sox-tigers-chicago--20110915,0,1522982.story)

Now he's throwing his players under the bus. :rolleyes:

Ozzie, is it showing the "fight" when you're playing with a fishing rod in the dugout during a game, as he reportedly did a few games ago?

Please, just go to Miami where you can play NL ball and play with your rod.

Tragg
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Okay, so why doesn't he inject some additional youth into the lineup in garbage time. He didn't make a single substitution of a non-pitcher today and the lineup was the usual suspects.

tstrike2000
09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Haven't had fight lately? When during the course of the 2011 season have the Sox had any fight?

Frater Perdurabo
09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ozzie has realized he's lost the clubhouse and the players have quit on him. They know he's about to be gone and have tuned him out.

These next few weeks will be quite interesting/entertaining/disgusting, depending on your point of view.

VMSNS
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Clubhouse motivation and team morale is strictly a coaching issue. Sorry Oz, but you're at fault here. If you don't like how your team is playing, do something about it.

This bull**** can't end soon enough. Just go away, Ozzie. Go far away.

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I listened to Post Game Live on CSN, and I just rolled my eyes back when I heard him say that. Ozzie, we don't have to be told that your team quit a while ago. Do you not think we Sox fans are intelligent enough to see that on our own? We KNOW!

GlassSox
09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I am so tired of Ozzie's mouth, I wish he would just shut up.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I had a source tonight tell me they think this is Ozzie's way of attacking Kenny because he got those "unnamed" players and because Ozzie knows he's lost the power struggle to him and is probably out the door.

Lip

Brian26
09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Ozzie, is it showing the "fight" when you're playing with a fishing rod in the dugout during a game

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that. I don't think it was a fishing rod, but it was completely inappropriate.

Brian26
09-14-2011, 09:19 PM
"You know what's funny?" Guillen said. "Some coaches might need the $5,000, $3,000 (extra) to be in second place. They can buy Christmas gifts for their kids.

This is Ozzie's best quote yet. He's worried if Jeff Cox is going to be able to afford to buy Christmas presents for his 50-year old kids.

Frater Perdurabo
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that. I don't think it was a fishing rod, but it was completely inappropriate.

The 3000 fans in the stands in Miami next September won't care if he's waxing his dolphin.

hi im skot
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
This is the first year I can remember where I'm legitimately glad that the season is ending. The end of the season is usually tough, even when the Sox underachieve or just flat out stink. But the more Ozzie continues to run his mouth, the more I look forward to the end of the year.

It's an extremely foreign feeling, and really sucks that it's gotten this bad.

hi im skot
09-14-2011, 09:34 PM
The 3000 fans in the stands in Miami next September won't care if he's waxing his dolphin.

Hmm, never heard it referred to as that...

Frater Perdurabo
09-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Hmm, never heard it referred to as that...

When in Rome...

Jerko
09-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I'll buy his coachs' kids Christmas presents if he leaves tonight.

Daver
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I'll buy his coachs' kids Christmas presents if he leaves tonight.

While your at it I want a pony.

PalehosePlanet
09-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Clubhouse motivation and team morale is strictly a coaching issue. Sorry Oz, but you're at fault here. If you don't like how your team is playing, do something about it.

This bull**** can't end soon enough. Just go away, Ozzie. Go far away.

Exactly. It shows what a dip**** he is for even broaching the subject.

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
This is Ozzie's best quote yet. He's worried if Jeff Cox is going to be able to afford to buy Christmas presents for his 50-year old kids.
No kidding. I rolled my eyes when I heard that part of his press conference as well. If a coach for a professional ball club "needs" an extra few thousand more dollars, then they have some major spending habit problems that they should correct. They all make a very comfortable salary.

Great, so Greg Walker gets the nice bonus he deserves if we finish above Cleveland.

captain54
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
This is the first year I can remember where I'm legitimately glad that the season.

The team lost the fight long ago. There was a game sometime during the summer where AJ tied it in the 9th with a HR and the dugout was silent. Pretty disturbing. That should have never been tolerated, and the field manager should be held directly responsible.

Oh wait... Beckham just struck out with the bases loaded again, and AJ hit into another DP... and if I'm not mistaken Rongey blamed all the Sox woes again on this talented team underperforming.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2011, 12:39 AM
This is Ozzie's best quote yet. He's worried if Jeff Cox is going to be able to afford to buy Christmas presents for his 50-year old kids.Jeff Cox must have been quite precocious. He's only 55 himself.

cards press box
09-15-2011, 12:46 AM
The team lost the fight long ago.

That might be true. And I wouldn't be surprised if the ballclub stopped listening to Ozzie long ago. It seems to me that the Ozzie/KW squabbling in 2010 left this team with a bad hangover in 2011.

The heck with it, I'm going to the 2005 Postseason DVD.

kittle42
09-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Why, oh, why must everyone in this thread press their "rage-filled agenda?"

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Why, oh, why must everyone in this thread press their "rage-filled agenda?"I know you're being sarcastic, but every day now it's thread after thread after thread, all saying the same thing, over and over. It's truly become a lynch-mob mentality.

I'm completely ambivalent about whether Ozzie comes back next year, but I'm starting to almost perversely hope that the Sox announce that he will return, just to see the heads explode.

central44
09-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Ozzie is right. He's just a little late figuring out something that everybody else has known since April.

The players would give a **** if they were held accountable. But this eludes Ozzie. De Aza has a great game, so what happens? Rios, who has dogged it all year, starts the next day. And bats cleanup.

Dunn is awful all year, yet in clutch situations, who gets to hit while De Aza/Lillibridge/Viciedo get benched? Dunn.

Why should the players care about winning when the manager doesn't appear to? He's too busy playing with his fishing rod.

kittle42
09-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I know you're being sarcastic, but every day now it's thread after thread after thread, all saying the same thing, over and over. It's truly become a lynch-mob mentality.

I'm completely ambivalent about whether Ozzie comes back next year, but I'm starting to almost perversely hope that the Sox announce that he will return, just to see the heads explode.

A good point. This season just needs to end.

captain54
09-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I know you're being sarcastic, but every day now it's thread after thread after thread, all saying the same thing, over and over. It's truly become a lynch-mob mentality.

Sure, you're right.. everyone on the forum should just be waxing nostalgic about 05', the Posednik walk-off and the parade down LaSalle street.

11' has been one of the more frustrating seasons in memory, with the team giving away game after game and the owner dead silent all year.
How do you expect people to react, man?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Captain:

The game you are referring to came against the Nationals.

Lip

SI1020
09-15-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm completely ambivalent about whether Ozzie comes back next year, but I'm starting to almost perversely hope that the Sox announce that he will return, just to see the heads explode. It's an accumulation of negative events and people need to vent. The team is lousy and the future doesn't look so hot. We all loved 05, but it didn't herald in an era of excellence, so again you have more frustration. I am surprised that you express ambivalence over Ozzie. Is it because his critics anger you so?. If they do bring him back (I doubt it) attendance will take an even bigger hit than I already expect it to.

Rocky Soprano
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Besides heads exploding, you would also see an empty ball park.

russ99
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Besides heads exploding, you would also see an empty ball park.

We're already going to see that next year, with the payroll cuts, and resulting sell-off sure to come.

Rocky Soprano
09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
We're already going to see that next year, with the payroll cuts, and resulting sell-off sure to come.

Sell-off is a bit drastic.
Will some moves happen, yes. I don't think the Sox are going into a rebuild mode so I don't see a sell-off occuring.

hi im skot
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
The team lost the fight long ago. There was a game sometime during the summer where AJ tied it in the 9th with a HR and the dugout was silent. Pretty disturbing. That should have never been tolerated, and the field manager should be held directly responsible.

Oh wait... Beckham just struck out with the bases loaded again, and AJ hit into another DP... and if I'm not mistaken Rongey blamed all the Sox woes again on this talented team underperforming.

Well, he's right; they ARE under-performing.

The Rongey hate around here is pretty embarrassing.

Jollyroger2
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Lately?

They roared out of the gate in April to the tune of a 10-19 record.

Lately? Yeah ok Ozzie.

russ99
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Sell-off is a bit drastic.
Will some moves happen, yes. I don't think the Sox are going into a rebuild mode so I don't see a sell-off occuring.

I think it is drastic. Obviously, our cost-controlled younger players will stay.

In order to cut $20-25M from the payroll (assuming Buehrle and our other FAs leaving as a given) without someone taking Dunn or Rios off our hands means that we'll likely deal Danks or Floyd, Thornton and Quentin, and may also end up entertaining offers for Crain and Alexei.

Rocky Soprano
09-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I think it is drastic. Obviously, our cost-controlled younger players will stay.

In order to cut $20-25M from the payroll (assuming Buehrle and our other FAs leaving as a given) without someone taking Dunn or Rios off our hands means that we'll likely deal Danks or Floyd, Thornton and Quentin, and may also end up entertaining offers for Crain and Alexei.

Has someone said that the Sox have to cut that much from the payroll?

kittle42
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM

WSI, of course.

Rocky Soprano
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
WSI, of course.

That's enough for me.
:D:

hawkjt
09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I wish that Ozzie would be specific about who quit...he ducks it by saying,''not gonna name names''.

DeAza? - No, Ozzie praised him.
Juan?- No, did you see that 13 pitch at bat in the 9th?
PK?- bite your tongue.
Gordo?- he is not trying hard at the plate?
Morel?- seems to be hitting.
I guess he must be referring to AJ's at bat in the 9th?
Or Sergio in the 10th?

Who are the players that people think did not try hard yesterday or this week?
Rios? I am sure he will be named.
Alexei? seems to be pulling everything more than ever at the plate which is not producing a lot of good at bats.
AJ? He has not had clutch at bats all year.

Starters? Gavin seemed pretty good til the 6th..did he just give up in the 6th?

I think it is really unfair for Ozzie to paint the whole team as giving up with his comments,when it might be a couple of guys. They were leading 5-2 going to the 9th,after all....is that a give up effort? Is it just Sale and Sergio?

I have defended ozzie all year,but he is the one giving up,and losing it.
If he had played his card right, he would have the whole fan base howling for Kenny's neck,but he has turned Kenny into a much more sympathetic figure by his own behavior.

captain54
09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, he's right; they ARE under-performing.

The Rongey hate around here is pretty embarrassing.

The entire organization is underperforming, but you'd never know it by listening to that guy.

I've gone on record posting here that I think Rongey is an intelligent, professional guy.

Whatever criticism he takes comes with the territory

thomas35forever
09-15-2011, 12:19 PM
While your at it I want a pony.
:fail:

JB98
09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I wish that Ozzie would be specific about who quit...he ducks it by saying,''not gonna name names''.

DeAza? - No, Ozzie praised him.
Juan?- No, did you see that 13 pitch at bat in the 9th?
PK?- bite your tongue.
Gordo?- he is not trying hard at the plate?
Morel?- seems to be hitting.
I guess he must be referring to AJ's at bat in the 9th?
Or Sergio in the 10th?

Who are the players that people think did not try hard yesterday or this week?
Rios? I am sure he will be named.
Alexei? seems to be pulling everything more than ever at the plate which is not producing a lot of good at bats.
AJ? He has not had clutch at bats all year.

Starters? Gavin seemed pretty good til the 6th..did he just give up in the 6th?

I think it is really unfair for Ozzie to paint the whole team as giving up with his comments,when it might be a couple of guys. They were leading 5-2 going to the 9th,after all....is that a give up effort? Is it just Sale and Sergio?

I have defended ozzie all year,but he is the one giving up,and losing it.
If he had played his card right, he would have the whole fan base howling for Kenny's neck,but he has turned Kenny into a much more sympathetic figure by his own behavior.

It's clear he was talking out of his ass. The team is playing the same way it has all season.

kittle42
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
It's clear he was talking out of his ass. The team is playing the same way it has all season.

But wait, they've still got a run in them, and the Tigers have a history of falling flat on their faces.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-guillen-white-sox-players-always-about-quitting-20110915,0,4821526.column

Pretty straighforward column.

Lip

SI1020
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-guillen-white-sox-players-always-about-quitting-20110915,0,4821526.column

Pretty straighforward column.

Lip Some have made it clear around here that they have no use for Rosenbloom, but I think he's been pretty accurate about the Sox lately, and this one is his best so far. Does he now qualify to be part of the lynch mob?

russ99
09-15-2011, 09:40 PM

The current Sox payroll is $127M, and attendance is way down.

In 2010 the payroll was $103M and 2009 it was $96M.

I think it's a fair estimate to expect close to a $100M payroll next year.

soxinem1
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
The fight left on April 20th and they never go it back in 2011.