PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Swept By the Division Champs Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Okay, they're not division champs yet, but we all know they're about to be.

Soxman219
09-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I saw the 9th and it was 5-2, went away for a bit, and was suddenly 6-5 Tigers.:angry:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Every single thing is going the Tigers' way right now. Every break, every pitch, every hit, every trade, every signing...

I mean...wow.

JB98
Leyland played Ozzie like a fiddle in that ninth inning. He knew Ozzie would bring in Santos if he sent Inge out to pinch hit. Ozzie obliged, and then Leyland got the matchup he wanted by sending Avila to the plate.

Ozzie took the bat out of Ramirez's hands and Konerko's hands in the bottom of the inning. Yeah, A.J. should have gotten the job done, but he's a GIDP machine this year. You gotta give Ramirez and Konerko the shot. The two combined for four of the five Sox RBIs today.

thomas35forever
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Every single thing is going the Tigers' way right now. Every break, every pitch, every hit, every trade, every signing...

I mean...wow.
Don't worry. The Red Sox/Rays will take care of them in the first round.

SoxSpeed22
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Axelrod needs to be in the rotation for the next few weeks, so we can get more out of what he's made of. He knows how to use both sides of the plate and his stuff has a lot of movement with it. He really did a good job of staying away from the middle of the plate against this strong Tiger lineup. Can't say the same thing about the pen though.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I did not see game, but went to the play by play on ESPN. How did it go from Sale vs. a lefty hitter to Santos vs. a lefty hitter? How did the Sox not get Santos vs. a righty hitter, Inge?

Brewski
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Axelrod needs to be in the rotation for the next few weeks, so we can get more out of what he's made of. He knows how to use both sides of the plate and his stuff has a lot of movement with it. He really did a good job of staying away from the middle of the plate against this strong Tiger lineup. Can't say the same thing about the pen though.

A right handed Buehrle the radio duo called him.

Shaco
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM

So you want your team dominated by a team that flames out in the playoffs?

hi im skot
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Leyland played Ozzie like a fiddle in that ninth inning. He knew Ozzie would bring in Santos if he sent Inge out to pinch hit. Ozzie obliged, and then Leyland got the matchup he wanted by sending Avila to the plate.

Ozzie took the bat out of Ramirez's hands and Konerko's hands in the bottom of the inning. Yeah, A.J. should have gotten the job done, but he's a GIDP machine this year. You gotta give Ramirez and Konerko the shot. The two combined for four of the five Sox RBIs today.

Yep. Typical managing from Ozzie this season.

ClawsDeep
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Leyland owned Oz. He pinch hit Inge. Ozzie then signaled for the reliever. When Santos was announced, Leyland pinch hit Avila for Inge.

DickAllen72
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
My thoughts exactly. In fact I just knew what was going to happen as soon as Ozzie pulled Sale and I burst out laughing in the car when Avila hit that HR. Stupid managing by Ozzie.

AJ hit that ball hard. It was just one of those things.

Anyway, after another sweep at the hands of the Tigers all I have left to say is::fireozzie

Either that, or: :sellreinsy

hi im skot

Doesn't really matter at this point. If losing to the Red Sox or Yankees means Tigers fans stop patting themselves on the back, I'm OK with it.

The Phillies are the team to beat, anyway.

Foulke You
I'm not so sure. They are absolutely rolling right now and every mistake is being crushed for a HR or a double. I'm not saying they are a lock to win the ALDS but people shouldn't take them lightly in the first round. These aren't the Twins who are going to roll over in 3 games.

Shaco
I did not see game, but went to the play by play on ESPN. How did it go from Sale vs. a lefty hitter to Santos vs. a lefty hitter? How did the Sox not get Santos vs. a righty hitter, Inge?

Leyland pinch hit Inge for Dirks and Ozzie went to Santos and then Leyland pulled back Inge and sent up Avila. I can't believe any manager would be afraid of Inge. He's worse than Adam Dunn.

soltrain21
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM

I don't give a **** what happens in the playoffs. I see no happiness in thinking, "Well ham and beans, at least the Tigers won the World Series!"

Lip Man 1
Hilarious...everything you could want in a Sox game this season.

Ozzie gets outmanged again in the 9th inning...
Sox leave the winning run at 3rd with less than two out...
Santos sucks at home...(3rd time he couldn't hold a 9th inning lead)...
12th time the Sox lost a game when having a lead in the 7th inning or later...
Sox now 7-11 in extra inning games...
Tigers have won 19 of the last 24 vs. Sox...

Season can't end soon enough.

Lip

kittle42
Leyland owned Oz. He pinch hit Inge. Ozzie then signaled for the reliever. When Santos was announced, Leyland pinch hit Avila for Inge.

It reminds me of old glitches in Nintendo games when playing against the computer. You could always get the computer to do the same thing all the time once you figured out the glitch.

tstrike2000
09-14-2011, 05:29 PM

So that's what in-game managing skill looks like.

Crestani
09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I sincerely hope that Santos, (6 blown saves) finds better control next year, or we will be looking for another closer...!!!

It probably would not have changed the outcome, but I would have stayed with Sale.

Shaco
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't give a **** what happens in the playoffs. I see no happiness in thinking, "Well ham and beans, at least the Tigers won the World Series!"

In 2009 when the Twins layed down to the Yankees I couldn't help but think the Tigers could've put up a better effort against the Yankees.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Sure, we're used to it, what with the Twins all these years.

What are you doing here anyway?

veeter
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Ozzie took the bat out of Ramirez's hands and Konerko's hands in the bottom of the inning. Yeah, A.J. should have gotten the job done, but he's a GIDP machine this year. You gotta give Ramirez and Konerko the shot. The two combined for four of the five Sox RBIs today.Good insight. These little strategic moves are lost box scores, Hawk, beat writers, Ozzie, Cora...I could go on. I hate this team to the core. I actually think Viciedo is holding his hands a little differently since he was recalled. The Walker cancer is fast moving. For the future of this franchise, Ozzie and his traveling road show can't leave fast enough. I'd move AJ at all costs. Trade Alexei for prospects then find a shortstop that fields everything, plays smart, and simply puts the bat on the ball. Re-sign Buehrle. Get a manager who lives, eats, sleeps and breathes baseball. Is it Joe McEwing? Don't no but it could be. I'm venting but I can't wait for change.

SBSoxFan
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM

Yep. Typical managing from Ozzie this season.

Lip

It reminds me of old glitches in Nintendo games when playing against the computer. You could always get the computer to do the same thing all the time once you figured out the glitch.

So how does bringing in your closer in a save situation constitute being played?

LITTLE NELL
09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Score was 5-2 in the 8th so I went to the range to hit some balls and just had a bad feeling and sure enough I get back home and find out we blew it.
Was hoping to finish above .500 but thats not looking too good right now. Another great homestand, 2-5.

russ99
09-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Sale gave up a homer that inning already, then walked the next batter. Great, so Ozzie's not supposed to use his closer either?

Maybe Santos should be benched for the season too...

And you get the leadoff man on base in a tie game in the 9th? That's when you bunt, right out of the textbook. Nobody "took the bat out of Ramirez' hands", you put the winning run in scoring position.

This is what I mean by unreasonable fan expectations of what a manager should do.

JB98
So that's what in-game managing skill looks like.

I'm not a professional baseball man, but I believe Sale could have retired Inge, who has spent much of the season in AAA.

Avila is far superior hitter to Inge. Keep the superior hitter on the bench.

Absolutely. Although the Tigers aren't the twins. This is a legit playoff caliber team. They'll at least win a game, perhaps a series.

JB98
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Sale gave up a homer that inning already, then walked the next batter. Great, so Ozzie's not supposed to use his closer either?

Maybe he should be benched for the season too...

And you get the leadoff man on base in a tie game in the 9th? That's when you bunt, right out of the textbook. Nobody "took the bat out of Ramirez' hands"...

This is what I mean by unreasonable fan expectations.

On cue. Nice troll.

hi im skot
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
So how does bringing in your closer in a save situation constitute being played?

Ozzie can't make up his mind who his closer is, and when it's appropriate to bring him in.

I'm more upset by his mismanagement of the offense in the bottom of the ninth. As JB said, taking the bat out of both Ramirez and Konerko's hands was what sealed our fate.

JB98
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Santos hasn't been used as an exclusive closer in quite some time.

Shaco

Maybe he should be benched for the season too...

And you get the leadoff man on base in a tie game in the 9th? That's when you bunt, right out of the textbook. Nobody "took the bat out of Ramirez' hands", you put the winning run in scoring position.

This is what I mean by unreasonable fan expectations.

Inge until the past week was batting well under 200. He was so awful they sent a 10 year veteran to the minors. If you didn't bring in Santos to start the 9th, why would you do it because of Inge?

russ99
On cue. Nice troll.

On cue, personal garbage after someone questions the daily ripping.

Please tell me, is there anything Ozzie could have done that would have made it right in you're opinion?

DickAllen72
09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Sale vs. Inge was a much better matchup for the Sox than Santos vs. Avila. Avila is a very good hitter and Leyland was just salivating at the chance to use him in that spot. Ozzie obliged.

kittle42
09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
And you get the leadoff man on base in a tie game in the 9th? That's when you bunt, right out of the textbook.

Do you bunt if the leadoff man is Ramirez and the hitter is Konerko? It's textbook.

Nobody "took the bat out of Ramirez' hands", you put the winning run in scoring position.

Actually, the bat was taken out of his hands (and he is a horrid bunter, generally) as well as Konerko's (IBB there is "textbook"). Two for the price of one!

This is what I mean by unreasonable fan expectations of what a manager should do.

I agree with you. It's unreasonable. For this manager. We should know better.

russ99
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
As JB said, taking the bat out of both Ramirez and Konerko's hands was what sealed our fate.

As would have the stranding of the runner on first after the expected strikeout(s) after flailing for the fences that we've seen all year in that situation.

veeter
09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Santos should know this, but how about our dope catcher reminding him to keep fastballs UP to Avila. A low straight fastball to a good LEFThanded hitter is suicide. The whole team is a mess.

JB98
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
On cue, personal garbage after someone questions the daily ripping.

Please tell me, is there anything Ozzie could have done that would have made it right in you're opinion?

Let Ramirez swing. I was screaming, "PLEASE DON'T BUNT! PLEASE DON'T BUNT!"

He didn't allow his two best RBI men (among those in the lineup) to have a chance to impact the outcome.

DickAllen72
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd move AJ at all costs.
So your starting catcher would be Tyler Flowers and his .205 average? I guess it would bring fans into the seats to watch the strikeout race between Flowers and Dunn.

JB98
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
As would have the stranding of the runner on first after the expected strikeout(s) after flailing for the fences that we've seen all year in that situation.

That would have been the players' fault. But that's not what happened.

amsteel
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Inge until the past week was batting well under 200. He was so awful they sent a 10 year veteran to the minors.

It was my understanding that you can't do that, otherwise Dunn would have been in the Midwest League by June.

russ99
Let Ramirez swing. I was screaming, "PLEASE DON'T BUNT! PLEASE DON'T BUNT!"

He didn't allow his two best RBI men (among those in the lineup) to have a chance to impact the outcome.

OK, so maybe it's a difference of opinion. What's better?

A speed runner at 2nd with one out, where a base hit wins the game or let our power hitters take hacks and maybe we can put the 2 hits together we needed to win?

Medford Bobby
Doesn't really matter at this point. If losing to the Red Sox or Yankees means Tigers fans stop patting themselves on the back, I'm OK with it.

The Phillies are the team to beat, anyway.

What no love for the D-Backs??? This has been a fun team to watch all summer, and Kevin Towers is not afraid to dump players who turn out to be bad moves.....HELLO KENNY!!! :angry:

DickAllen72
09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
It was my understanding that you can't do that, otherwise Dunn would have been in the Midwest League by June.
Inge was DFA'd and accepted his assignment to AAA. If you DFA Dunn and he doesn't accept, you have to pay off his entire contract and release him.

hi im skot

Not sure where you're going with this. If Ramirez fails to get on base, we've still got Pierre at first with one of the best hitters in the league coming up and, you know, actually getting an at bat.

Ramirez bunting Pierre over (and can we PLEASE remember how ****ing awful Alexei is at bunting?!?!?) opens up first base, and no one in their right mind is going to pitch to Konerko in that situation.

It was dumb to bunt with Ramirez on at least a couple levels.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
What no love for the D-Backs??? This has been a fun team to watch all summer, and Kevin Towers is not afraid to dump players who turn out to be bad moves.....HELLO KENNY!!! :angry:

I'm sorry, but as impressive as they have been, I don't see them (or anyone else in the NL) beating out the Phillies.

hi im skot
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Caught a D-Backs game in Phoenix a couple weeks ago. I'd love to see them do some damage, but c'mon - the Phillies are the class of the National League right now.

Shaco
09-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Inge was designated for assignment. No team claimed him on waivers and Inge agreed to report to the Tiger AAA affiliate. Inge could've rejected the assignment and sat at home collecting his contract. If the White Sox DFA Dunn and he refuses the assignment, they still owe him and would be paying for him to play on another team.

captain54
09-14-2011, 05:50 PM
:reinsy

"We've always fielded a "competitive team"...So what in the hell are the fans complaining about? They've got a great ballpark to come to and watch professional baseball.. Southpaw, great food, promotions, and all the other great stuff Brooks has come up with..."

Guess what Jerry, now you're not even "competitive"...

veeter
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
So your starting catcher would be Tyler Flowers and his .205 average? I guess it would bring fans into the seats to watch the strikeout race between Flowers and Dunn.Doesn't have to be Flowers. Anybody but AJ.

tstrike2000
I'm not a professional baseball man, but I believe Sale could have retired Inge, who has spent much of the season in AAA.

Avila is far superior hitter to Inge. Keep the superior hitter on the bench.

In that case, pitching to Inge, even with a lefty like Sale, you'd think would be the smart move since Inge is batting .100 points less than Avila. I guess they could've also pinch hit for Santiago, but he's also not as good of a hitter as Avila.

Nelfox02
Russ I was actually thinking about you during this game....wondering if you would find a way to defend Ozzie's bunt call.....and although you are trying, it just is not working....

terrible, albeit predictable, move by Ozzie.

What a mess........

captain54
09-14-2011, 05:52 PM

When you play bad teams like the Sox, things tend to very easily go your way.

Chez
09-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Ryan Raburn's career numbers: .266/52/200
Rayan Raburn's career numbers against the Sox: .306/13/46

JB98
09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
OK, so maybe it's a difference of opinion. What's better?

A speed runner at 2nd with one out, where a base hit wins the game or let our power hitters take hacks and maybe we can put the 2 hits together we needed to win?

Let Ramirez and Konerko swing. Those are the two best RBI men in this lineup. An extra-base hit wins the game with Pierre at first.

Or, just have Pierre swipe second, if you're hellbent on getting the man into scoring position. Then Ramirez has a chance to knock in the run with a single.

A hit-and-run isn't a terrible idea in that situation if you get a certain count.

A straight sacrifice was the worst possible option, given the personnel involved. I don't see how managing into a lefty-on-lefty situation with Coke facing Pierzynski benefits the Sox. Pierre did a good job stealing third to give the whole scenario a chance to work, yet it was still a fail because Pierzynski leads the team in GIDPs.

Shaco
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Ryan Raburn's career numbers: .266/52/200
Rayan Raburn's career numbers against the Sox: .306/13/46

Raburn is always a better second half player.

His career second half splits are 296/345/489/834

Shaco
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
When you play bad teams like the Sox, things tend to very easily go your way.

In their hot streak they took 3 of 4 from Tampa on the road.

captain54
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
In their hot streak they took 3 of 4 from Tampa on the road.

Now you're gonna argue that the Sox aren't that bad of a team... A good team would have scored the winning run from 3rd with less than two out in the 9th...

whatever.

delben91
09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Two questions from someone that didn't see the game:

1) Is Axelrod someone that could have potential to contribute in 2012, or is he "just a guy" that happened to have a solid day?

2) Does Santos' stuff look as bad as the results, or is it more a strategy/approach thing? Having to find a closer for next year would be one more thing to add to an already long list...

JB98
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Two questions from someone that didn't see the game:

1) Is Axelrod someone that could have potential to contribute in 2012, or is he "just a guy" that happened to have a solid day?

2) Does Santos' stuff look as bad as the results, or is it more a strategy/approach thing? Having to find a closer for next year would be one more thing to add to an already long list...

I watched the game. He's just a guy who had a solid day. His slider was working really well and he used it to get the eight Ks in six innings. He threw strikes, which put him in position to use the breaking ball as a wipeout pitch.

The fastball was not overpowering. It was consistently 88-89, topped out at 91. He did have decent movement on his sinker. His location was good today, not much in the middle of the plate except three mistakes to Carlos Guillen and one to Victor Martinez as well.

Axelrod looks like a guy who better be pinpoint. Today he was. Good for him. Too bad his teammates let him down. He deserved to win. But I'm not sold that he's a contributor for 2012.

DirtySox
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Just a guy. Best case scenario is he's a long-man/spot starter.

ChiSoxGal85
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM

I mean...wow.

The Tigers are on fire. Everything is going their way, including supposedly strategic moves by the opposing manager. :rolleyes:

Lip
I can't believe I ever thought this team would win the division. What a long season it's been. :angry:

thechico
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I actually tuned in in the 8th. Sorry I did. But then, after the 3 game sweep over Labor Day weekend, who DIDN'T think this season was OVAH?!
:mad:

Shaco
09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Now you're gonna argue that the Sox aren't that bad of a team... A good team would have scored the winning run from 3rd with less than two out in the 9th...

whatever.

Huh? The White Sox are pretty bad and the Tigers did what good teams should do to bad teams is beat them. The Tigers combined record against New York, Boston, Tampa, Texas, and Anaheim is 20-16. The Tigers beat up on the bad teams and remain competitive against the good ones. You don't just end up with the 3rd best record in baseball on one 12 game streak.

SOXSINCE'70
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Okay, they're not division champs yet, but we all know they're about to be.

Makes me want to paraphrase Dennis Green after the Bears beat the Cardinals in 2006:

"The Tigers are who we thought they were.That's why we took the damn field.If you want to crown them,then crown their ass!!":angry::angry:

Let's be honest:the Sox quit 2 weeks ago (if not sooner).

To call 2011 a dissapointment would be polite.

Again,Kenny,Rick,I don't care how you do it,
but FIX THIS!!:angry::angry:

SOXSINCE'70
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
The Tigers are on fire. Everything is going their way, including supposedly strategic moves by the opposing manager. :rolleyes:

Let's see them beat the Yankmees, Blow Sawx or Rangers.

Will all the innings Verlander pitched catch up with him?The Post Season will tell.

Shaco
09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=ChiSoxGal85;2827302]The Tigers are on fire. Everything is going their way, including supposedly strategic moves by the opposing manager. :rolleyes:

Will all the innings Verlander pitched catch up with him?The Post Season will tell.

4-3 vs New York
6-3 vs Texas
1-5 vs Boston

WhiteSox5187
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM

I actually really like their chances against the Yankees or Red Sox in a five game series. If they are worried about Verlander wearing down they can pitch him less and less as the division is now wrapped up. In a five game series you have Verlander for at least two games and then Fister in one, that's about as good as anything the Yankees or Red Sox will throw at you.

Tragg
09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Just a guy. Best case scenario is he's a long-man/spot starter.

Lot of strike outs though.

Dan H
09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes, the Tigers are playing well, but this was the Sox blowing a three run lead and great scoring opportunity in the ninth. Leaving runners on third with less than two out in the late and extra innings has been a Sox trademark all year. That is why the team is sub. 500 and on the verge of elimination. This has nothing to do with how well the Tigers have been playing. Goofs Ed Farmer and DJ were tipping their hats today and it was enough to make me sick.

Ozzie is dense. He has been bunting in key ninth inning situations all year long and it hasn't worked all year long. But taking the bat out of Konerko's hands was the dumbest thing he has done. There was no way Leyland was going to let a 100-RBI man beat him in that situation. Go away, Ozzie, just go away.

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I wish I didn't keep hope 2 weeks ago when we were only 5 games back. I should have learned.

14 games remain. 2 weeks. 1 road trip, 1 homestand.

Thank you for such a disappointing season, Sox.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2011, 10:21 PM
The Sox lost for the seventh time after holding a lead after eight innings.

:o::o::o:

Lip

DumpJerry
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
GIDP machine this year? Then he is one every year. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml)

JB98
09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
GIDP machine this year? Then he is one every year. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml)

Fair enough. The point is he's not the guy we want up in that spot.

fram40
09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
I can't believe I ever thought this team would win the division. What a long season it's been. :angry:

I couldn't agree more. What a long, horrible, frustrating season this has been

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2011, 01:53 AM
You're missing the point. The lynch mob is now in full howl. They have their quarry treed, and they demand blood. Everything Ozzie does that doesn't work is now, by definition, incredibly stupid and destined to fail, and every WSI poster knew it every time before every move. Ozzie should not just be fired, but driven out of his home, the house burned to the ground, and the soil sown with salt so that nothing ever grows there again, to remain for all eternity a memorial to the horror that was Ozzie Guillen and a warning to others.

Noneck
09-15-2011, 02:29 AM
You're missing the point. The lynch mob is now in full howl. They have their quarry treed, and they demand blood. Everything Ozzie does that doesn't work is now, by definition, incredibly stupid and destined to fail, and every WSI poster knew it every time before every move. Ozzie should not just be fired, but driven out of his home, the house burned to the ground, and the soil sown with salt so that nothing ever grows there again, to remain for all eternity a memorial to the horror that was Ozzie Guillen and a warning to others.

I wonder if that mood is predominately on this site. Outside of this site I have not seen the pitch fork and torch bearers. I have heard legit reasons why a change may be made but its not like the lynch mob here.

DumpJerry
09-15-2011, 07:35 AM
You left out being tied to a chair with his eyelids forced open in front of a television with an endless loop of Britney Spears' videos playing.

doublem23
09-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Please tell me who didn't see that chain of events unfolding afte Ozzie had Alexei lay down the bunt? Even if AJ gets the game-winning hit, it's a stupid move because, yes, EVERYONE who pays attention to baseball would have known that PK was going to get walked with 1st base open. Why would you pitch to Konerko when you can pitch to AJ who almost assuredly will hit into a DP if he can't get the ball out of the infield (also, side not, slugging under .400 this season).

And then Ozzie has the ****ing balls to call out his own guys for not having any fire in the post-game presser. What a piece of ****, always there to dance in the succes and glory but always the first to try and pass the buck when things go bad. I don't think you have any room to talk about how the guys are letting you down when you're managing like an idiot.

Procol Harum
09-15-2011, 09:42 AM
You left out being tied to a chair with his eyelids forced open in front of a television with an endless loop of Britney Spears' videos playing.

Worse yet, an endless loop of Sox batters failing with runners in scoring position....

SI1020
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I wonder if that mood is predominately on this site. It isn't.

asindc
09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
As if anyone really needs to have the Sox's laydown job over the past three weeks put into perspective, Detroit's magic number on Aug. 24 was 30. Just 22 days later, it is down to one. I really hope Dunn and Rios dedicate their entire offseasons to restoring whatever professional pride they had in the first place.

hawkjt
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I was hoping that Ozzie would leave Sale in the game. Avila is tough as hell.

As far as the bottom of the ninth, I can understand the moves.
Alexei has one hit the whole series. He has been in the pull mode for weeks,and is likely to hit into a double play. Is it better to have PK up with two out,nobody on,or AJ with 1st and third one out?

I do have a problem with AJ's lack of situational hitting prowess this year.
It has been absolutely horrible. He has been the least clutch .290 hitter ever,imo. He simply fails with men in scoring position,especially when it counts.

JB98
09-15-2011, 01:50 PM

This is extreme hyperbole.

It's funny. Last year, I was called an "Ozzpologist" by some on this board. I thought Ozzie did a decent job with the 2010 team. Decent, but not great.

This year, I've been critical of him because I believe he has done a poor job with 2011 team. Now, apparently, I'm among the ring leaders of a bloodthirsty lynch mob.

I have no personal attachment to Ken Williams or Ozzie Guillen. I just call it the way I see it. Both these men have done a lousy job this year. It's clear they can't work together any longer, and it's time for a change.

JB98
09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I was hoping that Ozzie would leave Sale in the game. Avila is tough as hell.

As far as the bottom of the ninth, I can understand the moves.
Alexei has one hit the whole series. He has been in the pull mode for weeks,and is likely to hit into a double play. Is it better to have PK up with two out,nobody on,or AJ with 1st and third one out?

I do have a problem with AJ's lack of situational hitting prowess this year.
It has been absolutely horrible. He has been the least clutch .290 hitter ever,imo. He simply fails with men in scoring position,especially when it counts.

He had two hits and two RBIs yesterday.

Your comment about AJ's poor situational hitting is right on, however. That's why I so strongly disagreed with the decision to bunt our way into a situation where the game came down to a matchup between AJ and Coke. Pierzynski is only 2-for-10 lifetime against Coke. I don't see how that is favorable for the Sox.

People obviously think I'm just an idiot howling at the moon around here, but I honestly don't understand some of these moves. Sometimes, even good moves backfire in baseball. That's the nature of the game. I can live with that if I can see the logic behind it. Most of the time, I don't understand what the hell Ozzie is doing anymore.

doublem23
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
People obviously think I'm just an idiot howling at the moon around here, but I honestly don't understand some of these moves. Sometimes, even good moves backfire in baseball. That's the nature of the game. I can live with that if I can see the logic behind it. Most of the time, I don't understand what the hell Ozzie is doing anymore.

Agreed. I will give Ozzie all the credit in the world for sticking it out with Pierre, even though I was vehemently opposed to that earlier in the year, but this season, more often than not, I am scratching my head.

What's most frustrating is that he's done this, bunt Juan over with Alexei only see Paul get walked numerous times this season. Like he doesn't learn. Take the bat out of two of our best hitter's hands, that's Ozzieball.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2011, 02:40 PM
This is extreme hyperbole. Not a bit. People have called him a piece of human garbage, they've stated that they'll personally pay for his plane ticket out of town, how "anything would be better," on and on. The extremes of people trying to outdo each other with how intensely they dislike Ozzie and how badly they want him gone have gotten to where the threads are completely predictable after every game, and they honestly give me a headache.

doublem23
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Not a bit. People have called him a piece of human garbage, they've stated that they'll personally pay for his plane ticket out of town, how "anything would be better," on and on. The extremes of people trying to outdo each other with how intensely they dislike Ozzie and how badly they want him gone have gotten to where the threads are completely predictable after every game, and they honestly give me a headache.

Oh, come on, Nellie, you have to understand that these are still just expressions. The board is a lot easier to read if you don't take every. single. word. 100% literally. Actually, it's pretty funny.

WhiteSox5187
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
He had two hits and two RBIs yesterday.

Your comment about AJ's poor situational hitting is right on, however. That's why I so strongly disagreed with the decision to bunt our way into a situation where the game came down to a matchup between AJ and Coke. Pierzynski is only 2-for-10 lifetime against Coke. I don't see how that is favorable for the Sox.

He's actually hitting .385 with a runner on third and less than two outs and .355 with a runner on second. His average with runners in scoring position leaves a bit to be desired though.

JB98
09-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Not a bit. People have called him a piece of human garbage, they've stated that they'll personally pay for his plane ticket out of town, how "anything would be better," on and on. The extremes of people trying to outdo each other with how intensely they dislike Ozzie and how badly they want him gone have gotten to where the threads are completely predictable after every game, and they honestly give me a headache.

With all due respect, I don't believe I posted anything about "human garbage" or plane tickets.

I posted that Pierzynski isn't a good matchup against Coke, and then all of a sudden I'm being accused of bloodlust.

Oh, well. :whiteflag:

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2011, 12:49 AM
With all due respect, I don't believe I posted anything about "human garbage" or plane tickets.

I posted that Pierzynski isn't a good matchup against Coke, and then all of a sudden I'm being accused of bloodlust.

Oh, well. :whiteflag:What made you think that rant was directed at you personally? That was about the collective, ever-growing, Ozzie hating that has become the accepted position.