PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo interviews Joe Crede

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Linkage (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-crede-returns-to-us-cellular-with-regrets-about-2006-but-not-back-issues-20110913,0,5456856.story)

Says one of his biggest regrets is that the 2006 team didn't make the playoffs.

samurai_sox
09-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Yup, that '06 team felt like a big missed opportunity to win another ring.

What pisses me off is that this team is STILL hurting from the offensive woes that began after the All Star Break that year.

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Yup, that '06 team felt like a big missed opportunity to win another ring.

What pisses me off is that this team is STILL hurting from the offensive woes that began after the All Star Break that year.

I thought it wasn't until very late in 2006 that the offense really began to struggle, which stood out when juxtaposed against the great success Frank Thomas had in Oakland during the second half of 2006. I seem to remember that failure in 2006 was due more Buehrle and Contreras tiring down the stretch, and the bullpen - especially Cotts and Politte - regressing to their respective means. It makes you wonder what might have been if they had gone with a six-man rotation that included McCarthy, in order to take a little more pressure off the other starters, and perhaps had acquired MacDougal (1.80 ERA with the Sox in 2006) earlier in the year.

In any case, 2006 certainly was a disappointment, because they did have the horses to win that year, and probably could and would have beaten the Cardinals. Their pitchers certainly knew how to field better than the Tigers' pitchers did.

asindc
09-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I thought it wasn't until very late in 2006 that the offense really began to struggle, which stood out when juxtaposed against the great success Frank Thomas had in Oakland during the second half of 2006. I seem to remember that failure in 2006 was due more Buehrle and Contreras tiring down the stretch, and the bullpen - especially Cotts and Politte - regressing to their respective means. It makes you wonder what might have been if they had gone with a six-man rotation that included McCarthy, in order to take a little more pressure off the other starters, and perhaps had acquired MacDougal (1.80 ERA with the Sox in 2006) earlier in the year.

In any case, 2006 certainly was a disappointment, because they did have the horses to win that year, and probably could and would have beaten the Cardinals. Their pitchers certainly knew how to field better than the Tigers' pitchers did.

Buehrle was the worst starting pitcher in the majors for the second half of 2006. I've always thought that if he had even an average second half, nothing else would have mattered, the Sox would have made the playoffs anyway.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
The pitching fell apart to be sure but don't forget the offense really went into the tank as far as fundamentals, moving runners around, getting them home. It was the start of the "home run or nothing" stretch.

That started after the 19 inning game and the All Star Break.

Lip

DSpivack
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
The pitching fell apart to be sure but don't forget the offense really went into the tank as far as fundamentals, moving runners around, getting them home. It was the start of the "home run or nothing" stretch.

That started after the 19 inning game and the All Star Break.

Lip

Or just the continuation of that approach from the few years before 2005?

Corlose 15
09-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Not to nitpick but Politte didn't regress to his mean, he completely imploded. If Cotts and Politte had both come back with ERAs in the high threes to mid fours I think the Sox would've been ok with their offense but Cott's was over 5 and Politte's was 8.70.

Those two guys and Buehrle and Contreras disappearing in the 2nd half is what did in the Sox.

Marqhead
09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Joe threw out one of the first pitches tonight, he looks like he's put on about 50 lbs. It was good to see him at the park with his kids though. He had a great run here.

MrT27
09-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Joe threw out one of the first pitches tonight, he looks like he's put on about 50 lbs. It was good to see him at the park with his kids though. He had a great run here.

I was hanging out by the World Series statue before the game and he was taking pics in front of it with his family. I can confirm he has put on weight and has a little beer gut growing. I won't criticize tho because I'd probably be doing the same thing.

It was kind of weird that everyone is looking at the statue and a bronze bust of Crede yet no one noticed him in front of it but me. I wasn't going to point him out while he was with his family and have everyone start bugging him.

hawkjt
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I was hanging out by the World Series statue before the game and he was taking pics in front of it with his family. I can confirm he has put on weight and has a little beer gut growing. I won't criticize tho because I'd probably be doing the same thing.

It was kind of weird that everyone is looking at the statue and a bronze bust of Crede yet no one noticed him in front of it but me. I wasn't going to point him out while he was with his family and have everyone start bugging him.

Thats funny. I guess one way to blend into the fan base is to gain some weight and cut your hair and no one notices you anymore.:smile:

skobabe8
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Joe pulled up in a Chevy Tahoe along side of us after the game at the corner of State Street & Cermak. I wish I was "playing some ****ing Journey" at the time. :cool: