PDA

View Full Version : I know what yall think about....

Tragg
07-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Durham, but in my opinion, he should be an extremely enticing "rent a player" for a team looking to win a WS. His on base numbers, his steals numbers and his reasonable power numbers should make him valuabel. Maybe he's fools gold, maybe he's not - doesn't matter - he won't be on the Sox next year and some team will believe he's legitimate.

You can talk about trading valentin, clayton and alomar, but together the market value for those 3 is ZILCH. James Baldwin was a far more valuable player than either of those three, and Kenny Williams gave him away.

Kenny Williams has a chance to extort some young talent for Durham, imo. This could be critical for our future, as we do have many holes to fill.

guillen4life13
07-14-2002, 01:14 PM
all you said except one thing, I agree with. however, I think that Jose Valentin by himself is more valuable than J.B.

cornball
07-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Ray when hot can lead a club offensively, no doubt.

I agree, the value of Thomas, Valentin, Clayton, Alomar and Lee is minimal at best.

voodoochile
07-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Ray when hot can lead a club offensively, no doubt.

I agree, the value of Thomas, Valentin, Clayton, Alomar and Lee is minimal at best.

Lee still has "potential".
Frank has reputation as an amazing hitter.

I think that if used correctly those can increase their trade value. Think of the casual fans reaction if they found out their team got Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas. That will play into a GM's thinking and certainly a bad year following a career threatening injury and the subsequent surgury will play into their thinking also. Frank has more value than you admit to, because people are currently ticked at him, but I'd bet teams around the league (if they have need of a DH) would take a flyer on him and offer decent value in return. At the moment the Sox won't get a solid SP for him by himself, but Durham and Frank together would bring a ton in return, IMO...

RKMeibalane
07-14-2002, 02:36 PM
There is always the chance that Frank will bounce back, as well. When he is on, he is the best hitter in baseball. Any team could use someone like him, except the Yankees, perhaps.

The Sox should try to trade Durham now in order to get a verteran pitcher back. They need to improve their rotation, and that means Wright or Glover must be sent to the bullpen. Neither man seems capable of putting together a string of good outings. Wright is too inexperienced, and Glover doesn't have the stamina. He's a long reliver at best.

Paulwny
07-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

The Sox should try to trade Durham now in order to get a verteran pitcher back.

Noone will trade a good veteran pitcher for a player who'll be a fa at the end of the year.

Jerry_Manuel
07-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Noone will trade a good veteran pitcher for a player who'll be a fa at the end of the year.

Thank you, Paul. If there was going to be a World Series this year, maybe he would be worth more to a good team. Since there won't be, he's worth crap.

cornball
07-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Frank has no value...first he is limited to the AL. he cant field and doesnt want too. Secondly, who can afford 10MM for a DH, Yankees, maybe the Red Sox thats about it...plus they know your trying to dump salary soooo you won't get not too much...can he bounce back...sure but the doubt is there too..

My guess is Durham and Lofton would have the most value and that too is limited because of free agency......

C. Lee is a streaky hitter with no glove....
Valentin has no postion and is basically a utility guy for 5MM
Clayton cant hit for 4.5MM per

so i hope and pray for a miracle...lol....