PDA

View Full Version : The contrived Road Trip guys

MarqSox
08-07-2001, 05:27 PM
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/mlb_odyssey_story.jsp?type=stories&day=story_0806

The guys MLB.com sent on the road to all 30 parks hit Comiskey yesterday. They did a pretty good job reviewing it, calling the Bullpen Bar the "best kept secret in baseball" and Comiskey "a very underrated park." Two things I have to question, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eddie Gaedel (the midget) played for the St. Louis Browns, not the White Sox like these guys claimed.

Also, last time I checked, Comiskey serves Best's Kosher hot dogs, not Hebrew National as was reported. I know Weeghman Park on the North Side serves Hebrew ... did Comiskey recently change or did they get their facts wrong?

Fisk Fan
08-07-2001, 05:48 PM
That was a nice review. They hit the nail on the head with the bullpen bar. What a great place to see a game! The attendance should triple after that article!?!

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2001, 05:49 PM
Yep, Gaedel was when Veeck owned the Brownies. 1951.

As for the Kosher dogs, it's been too long since I've been to Comiskey to say for sure. I know they've changed brands of koshers at least once in my memory, from Kosher Zion to Best's Kosher. Maybe they've changed again.

Tragg
08-07-2001, 05:53 PM
For you guys who know chitown. Which park is more easily accessible from a)downtown; b)O'Hare: Wrigely or Comiskey?

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2001, 05:54 PM
I just finished reading the article. They said "Hebrew Best." A little fudging to cover their bases bacause they couldn't remember which it was?

Fisk Fan
08-07-2001, 05:54 PM
They still serve Best's Kosher dogs.

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2001, 05:57 PM
From downtown, I would say Comiskey, easily.

From O'Hare, it's gotta be Wrigley.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2001, 06:00 PM
By the way, they refer to deep dish pizza as part of Chicago culinary tradition.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Nobody in Chicago had ever heard of deep dish pizza before Pizzeria Uno became the trendoid place in the seventies. Real Chicago pizza is thin crust, ala Home Run Inn on the southwest side.