PDA

View Full Version : Peavy

LITTLE NELL
09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Shut down for 2011, got a feeling he comes back strong next year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110910&content_id=24487850&notebook_id=24489878&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

SoxSpeed22
09-10-2011, 03:56 PM
No surprise really. We appreciate your gumption, Jake, but next year you can come back after strengthening up.

DirtySox
09-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Good riddance.

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Good riddance.Yeah, you selfish bastard! You tried to come back from unprecedented surgery as soon as possible, and weren't dominant, so we HATE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SI1020
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Shut down for 2011, got a feeling he comes back strong next year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110910&content_id=24487850&notebook_id=24489878&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws I don't, but of course I hope you're the one that's right.

Boondock Saint
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, you selfish bastard! You tried to come back from unprecedented surgery as soon as possible, and weren't dominant, so we HATE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen. The hate he gets on here often is worse than what Rios and Dunn get, and I can't comprehend that for the life of me. Gotta love the constant barrage of "Shut up and pitch" posts.

thomas35forever
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
It was the only logical decision under the circumstances. See you next year, Jake.

SI1020
09-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Amen. The hate he gets on here often is worse than what Rios and Dunn get, and I can't comprehend that for the life of me. Gotta love the constant barrage of "Shut up and pitch" posts. I believe I was the first one to say that. In response to this.

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/14/11/Jakes-Take-Peavy-shows-his-vocal-leaders/landing_jake_peavy.html?blockID=541368&feedID=7139&utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=53e467b2df-Daily+CSNChicago.com+E-Blast&utm_medium=email

I'm terribly old school I admit when it comes to talking the talk versus walking the walk. Sometimes I think it's just better to get to work than run your mouth. Peavy's velocity was down before his terrible freak injury and I was savaged here when I said I thought I noticed a little whip action to the end of his delivery. I'm partial to power pitchers and approved of the deal to bring Jake to the Sox. It is very hard for pitchers of this type to recover from serious injuries, especially one so rare as this. I don't hate Jake. Every critical observation is not an act of hate.

doublem23
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Amen. The hate he gets on here often is worse than what Rios and Dunn get, and I can't comprehend that for the life of me. Gotta love the constant barrage of "Shut up and pitch" posts.

He has set himself back numerous times because he's too big of a jag to tell people that he's hurting, and then he goes and runs his mouth. I'm hopeful that he'll come back strong in 2012, a full year removed from his surgery, but right now, I'm not terribly fond of Jake.

DumpJerry
09-10-2011, 09:34 PM
His best starts this year (and he did have some really good ones) came after extended rest, I think next year will be a good one for him and us. This will give him a chance to complete his recuperation without tearing down his upper body once a week.

He'll be only 31 next year, young enough to come back full strength.

Noneck
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
He has one more year with the Sox (his 22M option wont be picked up in 2013), I hope the Sox get at least one good year out of him.

jshanahanjr
09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Maybe he can go back to San Diego in 2013 after a good 2012 on the South Side? I hope so, but not holding my breath.

central44
09-10-2011, 11:20 PM
It's a shame Peavy has had the injury problems he's had here. I'm pretty sure we've seen flashes of the actual Jake Peavy...but nothing more than that.

Hopefully next year he comes back full strength and returns to ace status, or at least very good status.

kufram
09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Players get jumped on for showing too little emotion and players get jumped on for showing too much emotion. When are they going to get it?

You're supposed to show exactly the right amount of emotion and you find out what that is by reading the WSI forum.

Tragg
09-11-2011, 11:33 AM

It hasn't been near the level of the invective leveled at Dunn or Rios.

He's underperformed, so he gets heat.

That said, he tries and seems to work hard (I'm not sold on the effort of the other 2) and he has shown signs that he may be effective next year.

BainesHOF
09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Good riddance is right. I'm tired of hearing the self-serving stuff that comes out of his mouth.

His track record says he'll continue to have injury problems.

Zakath
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Looks like 2012 spring training has already started...

Falstaff
09-12-2011, 12:01 AM
His best starts this year (and he did have some really good ones) came after extended rest, I think next year will be a good one for him and us. This will give him a chance to complete his recuperation without tearing down his upper body once a week.

He'll be only 31 next year, young enough to come back full strength.

I agree totally. His pattern this year:
decent start, completely dominating start, not so good start, pretty bad start, rest, repeat.

My hats are truly off to this guy for his rehab so far and the flashes of
brilliance following a horrifying injury; hopefully next year he will have strength to be consistently solid as a starter.

In recognition that he has a surgical shoulder at this point in career, my
hope is next year there is a shorter leash on Jake's return to starting; if he
falters from the workload let's find other important ways he can contribute
in a relief role, a la El Duque late in career. He has expressed a willingness
to contribute as such and with that attitude could be a monster out of BP a few times a week. In fact, I am certain he would thrive like that, even if
the ace starter thing is beyond his body now.

In general would like to see more creativity and pragmatism in the
line ups, and not so much evidence of Ozzie ego trips.

StillMissOzzie
09-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Good riddance is right. I'm tired of hearing the self-serving stuff that comes out of his mouth.

His track record says he'll continue to have injury problems.

I hope Jake gets the rest and recuperation he needs to at least have one good, full season with the Sox. The Sunday pitcher gig essentially forced the 6 man rotation scheme upon the Sox.

To quote / paraphrase "Top Gun", however, I am a bit weary of Jake's mouth writing checks that his body can't cash.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM
To quote / paraphrase "Top Gun", however, I am a bit weary of Jake's mouth writing checks that his body can't cash.That phrase was around long before the movie.

Falstaff
09-12-2011, 02:19 AM
"all hat no cattle"

kufram
09-12-2011, 05:19 AM
I suspect Jake Peavy isn't done yet. He will be what he is... a voice in the clubhouse (and we're not long on those), a fighter, and an ex Cy Young winner. He's also prone to injury but it is not totally unheard of for people, and even baseball players, to learn as they get older... perhaps realize that they need to adapt to new circumstances that prevent them from doing things the way they always have.

One thing I'm pretty sure he knows how to do is pitch.

SI1020
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
That phrase was around long before the movie. Usually I don't like cliche type phrases, but that one is a favorite of mine, hence the "shut up and pitch". Of course I wish Jake well, I admire his moxy, and I'm sure he wants his ass to start cashing the checks again.

amsteel
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
His problem this year is he didn't come back 100%. I'm not convinced he came back at even 80%. If it was his choice to return early, then he deserves every bit of vitriol. If the Sox forced him back early, I am very disappointed in the Sox judgement. But given the image JP has crafted for himself, I'm guessing he chose to return early. He was basically out there rehabbing every 5th or 6th day, that's unacceptable. If he needs work, it shouldn't be taking place on MLB mound.

I hope the extra 3 week break allows him to come back to 100% of his current potential, which is far diminished from his 2007 potential.

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
If it was his choice to return early, then he deserves every bit of vitriol.Really? A guy deserves absolute hatred dumped on him because he thought he could help the team and so he tried? That logic is amazing, and completely 180 out of phase with how I look at it.

SI1020
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
His problem this year is he didn't come back 100%. I'm not convinced he came back at even 80%. If it was his choice to return early, then he deserves every bit of vitriol. If the Sox forced him back early, I am very disappointed in the Sox judgement. But given the image JP has crafted for himself, I'm guessing he chose to return early. He was basically out there rehabbing every 5th or 6th day, that's unacceptable. If he needs work, it shouldn't be taking place on MLB mound.

I hope the extra 3 week break allows him to come back to 100% of his current potential, which is far diminished from his 2007 potential. Here is why those of us who just wanted him to "shut up and pitch" are going to be called "haters". No one deserves vitriol for being hurt and trying to make a comeback. Just concentrate on the rehab and let your pitching do the talking is all I'm saying.

amsteel
09-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Really? A guy deserves absolute hatred dumped on him because he thought he could help the team and so he tried? That logic is amazing, and completely 180 out of phase with how I look at it.

If you know you're not capable of doing the job you're getting paid for, aren't you misleading your employer and in the long run will harm the team you're playing for/working with?

doublem23
09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Really? A guy deserves absolute hatred dumped on him because he thought he could help the team and so he tried? That logic is amazing, and completely 180 out of phase with how I look at it.

But it's not just that, Peavy has repeatedly not bothered to tell anyone about some pain he's experience and just tried to bulldog through it. He had to be shut down at the start of the year because he tried pitching through a sore arm. He got lit up against the Tigers at the end of the 1st half because he didn't bother to tell anyone that he was uncomfortable on the mound.

If you want to see a guy going out there and giving it everything he physically has, then what you want to look at is Paul Konerko, playing on that bum leg, basically limping around the bases, but knowing he had to stay in the lineup no matter how much it hurt because on any given day, there's maybe 1-2 other MLB-caliber players in our lineup. Peavy, coming off experimental surgery, just pushed himself for no good reason, other than to try and prove how alpha dog macho he was or something.

tstrike2000
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Good move with the postseason chances at zero.

eriqjaffe
09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
If you know you're not capable of doing the job you're getting paid for, aren't you misleading your employer and in the long run will harm the team you're playing for/working with?I think Peavy really believed that he was capable, though. And he was going to get paid either way, so I'd rather him go out and at least try to earn the money.

Honestly, 7-7 with a 4.92 ERA isn't that terrible for a guy who was essentially treated as a 5th starter. I can't imagine that the Sox would have gotten better production from somebody like Lucas Harrell.

central44
09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
But it's not just that, Peavy has repeatedly not bothered to tell anyone about some pain he's experience and just tried to bulldog through it. He had to be shut down at the start of the year because he tried pitching through a sore arm. He got lit up against the Tigers at the end of the 1st half because he didn't bother to tell anyone that he was uncomfortable on the mound.

If you want to see a guy going out there and giving it everything he physically has, then what you want to look at is Paul Konerko, playing on that bum leg, basically limping around the bases, but knowing he had to stay in the lineup no matter how much it hurt because on any given day, there's maybe 1-2 other MLB-caliber players in our lineup. Peavy, coming off experimental surgery, just pushed himself for no good reason, other than to try and prove how alpha dog macho he was or something.

Yeah I don't think Peavy is the brightest when it comes to all that. That said, I do think he really wanted to help the team and thought he could do that. Obviously he was wrong, but I guess I don't hold it against him as much as the other underperformers.

It's not like Rios, who got paid and clearly doesn't give a **** most of the time he's out there--just like he was in Toronto. He's a complete loser. Peavy at least deserves *some* respect, though.

I hope he comes back and has a strong 2012.

salty99
09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Can the Sox just shut everyone down and call it a season?

Daver
09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Can the Sox just shut everyone down and call it a season?

Have Viciedo play every position from here on out, maybe they'll find one he doesn't look awkward playing.

Johnny Mostil
09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Have Viciedo play every position from here on out, maybe they'll find one he doesn't look awkward playing.

Wouldn't it be sweet if the American League had a position where all you had to do was hit? I think Viciedo might be able to handle that one.

Daver
09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't it be sweet if the American League had a position where all you had to do was hit? I think Viciedo might be able to handle that one.

The towering baseball minds at WSI have told me repeatedly that he can play a position that involves using a glove, so I have no choice but to hope he finds one.