PDA

View Full Version : Lillibridge has broken hand. His season is over

DumpJerry
09-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Ozzie mentioned it in his post game comments.

I guess this means we're going to see more Dunn than we thought.

DrCrawdad
09-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Ozzie mentioned it in his post game comments.

I guess this means we're going to see more Dunn than we thought.

Perhaps more Viciedo at 1st.

BTW Your sig is very true!

manders_01
09-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Ohhh, don't like that at all! :mad: You will be missed Brent!

PeteWard
09-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Very sad to hear that. I was at the "Lillibridge game" at Yankee Stadium in April. Easily , for me , the high point of the season.

October26
09-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Ohhh, don't like that at all! :mad: You will be missed Brent!

+1

I feel the same way. I've enjoyed seeing Lillibridge play for the Sox this year.

soxfan1965
09-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Brent will be missed, he is a great presence for the team.

"I'm blessed, obviously. I did so well and just wanted to finish," Lillibridge said. "I really saw, being kind of out of it, to play more and do more damage. But it wasn't in the plans. I was very blessed with the season I've had and what I've done for the White Sox. "I'll come back for next year. I'll be ready and competitive."

Don't let this guy go, he's great for the team, with his versitility and his attitude, a fan favorite.

Zakath
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
That's a damn shame.

Except for a couple of mental errors this year, he's given his all every time he's been put in, even in positions he's never played before.

Hopefully he comes back strong in 2012.

ElevenUp
09-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I feel bad for the kid. He looked devastated in the locker room interview. Go get 'em next year, Beast.

DrCrawdad
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
After the Sox traded Javier Vazquez was traded to Atlanta in 2008 I was very suspect of the trade. I mean Javier Vazquez & Boone Logan for a bag of minor leaguers?

Brent Lillibridge (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lillibr01.shtml)
Tyler Flowers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/flowety01.shtml)
Jon Gilmore (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gilmor001jon)
Santos Rodriguez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rodrig002san)

It looked grim for a while. Not so bad now.

ChiSoxGal85
09-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I really feel bad for Brent. He kinda broke down when talking about it after the game last night. His hand was in a big cast. :whiner:

He played his role very well on the team this year, including playing a lot of 1st base when the Captain couldn't. I hope to see him back strong next year.

hawkjt
09-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Darn shame. Lilly played his guts out all year,and now he will be re-habbing this winter. I know this guy was not throwing at him,but it bothers me that the Sox get hit more than anyone in baseball,again,this year, and lose Ramon,AJ,PK and now Lilly from hit by pitches.
And in contrast,the Sox pitchers just do not hit opposing batters much at all.
The Tigers have been hit the least. They hit plenty of guys,with Verlander leading the way... Coincidence?

Good luck,Brent.
As for replacements- throw Dunn in there more..he is going to be back on the team next year,lets see if he can figure anything out.:scratch:

Marqhead
09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I bet if we laid the hand to rest in a tomb and covered it with a big stone, three days later the stone would be rolled away, and the hand no where to be found....

QueerGirrl
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I feel bad for the kid. He looked devastated in the locker room interview. Go get 'em next year, Beast.

I saw that and my heart broke for him. I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him that it would be ok. Poor thing.

Zakath
09-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Darn shame. Lilly played his guts out all year,and now he will be re-habbing this winter. I know this guy was not throwing at him,but it bothers me that the Sox get hit more than anyone in baseball,again,this year, and lose Ramon,AJ,PK and now Lilly from hit by pitches.
And in contrast,the Sox pitchers just do not hit opposing batters much at all.
The Tigers have been hit the least. They hit plenty of guys,with Verlander leading the way... Coincidence?

Good luck,Brent.
As for replacements- throw Dunn in there more..he is going to be back on the team next year,lets see if he can figure anything out.:scratch:

Actually, Ramon was hurt when he missed catching a pitch and it hit his throwing hand, but your point is valid.

GlassSox
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Have a sound recovery LilliBeast and come back in 2012 with the same attitude & performance. You gave your all this year, thanks.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Kid played very well this season. Hope he has a good off season and comes back strong next year.

The Sox sure have a lot of guys hit by pitches.

Lip

KenBerryGrab
09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Kid had an .845 OPS. That's pretty good.

StillMissOzzie
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, there goes our shot at the division now.

LilliBeast played his ass off and was instrumental in keeping this team as close as they were for as long as they were. Paraphrasing Dan MacNeil, put Dunn back in - he desrves a shot at that strikeout record, he's earned it!

SMO
:tongue:

JB98
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Kid played very well this season. Hope he has a good off season and comes back strong next year.

The Sox sure have a lot of guys hit by pitches.

Lip

They do. And even though it isn't necessarily intentional, it doesn't sit well with me. This is the third injury the Sox have had in the last six weeks as a result of an HBP. That's frustrating.

Lillibridge had a nice year. One of the few position players on this club to have a good season. Tough break for him.

thomas35forever
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Sad way to end a great season, but that's baseball I guess. This was his year and I pray to God he'll keep it up in 2012. See you next year, Brent!

BoysMom3
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, crap.I have really enjoyed watching him play this year.

24thStFan
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
This is bad news. Lillibridge has been one of the bright spots in an otherwise dismal and frustrating season.

Hope you come back strong, Brent!

Domeshot17
09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
After watching Gordon continue to take steps backwards, Brent really deserves a look as the full time 2b next year.

kufram
09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I think they found the role he excels at and used him very wisely. He could get to everyday status and more power to him but why mess with success? Find more playing time for him, sure... but it's been shown on more than one occasion that he is most effective as a supersub.

Foulke You
09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
They do. And even though it isn't necessarily intentional, it doesn't sit well with me. This is the third injury the Sox have had in the last six weeks as a result of an HBP. That's frustrating.

Lillibridge had a nice year. One of the few position players on this club to have a good season. Tough break for him.
I am bothered by this too. Paulie, AJ, and now Lillibridge all missing time because of HBP. Yesterday was an 8-1 game and a good time to lightly plunk an Indians hitter in the back just to let them know we don't appreciate it. The last few years, it seems Sox pitchers (other than Buehrle) rarely retaliate.

Also, does anyone know what Lillibridge's contract status is? Is he under contract for next year?

kittle42
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
After watching Gordon continue to take steps backwards, Brent really deserves a look as the full time 2b next year.

That is an immense defensive downgrade...

kittle42
09-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Also, does anyone know what Lillibridge's contract status is? Is he under contract for next year?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dGduSVZZY0J2OUtCV0s2ZUdLVkpMQmc&output=html

doublem23
09-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Lillibridge is under the Sox's control at least until the 2015 season. 2012 will be his final pre-arbitration year. 2013-2015 he will be arbitration eligible. Barring a buy-out or outright release, he will not be eligible to become a free agent until after the 2015 season.

Foulke You
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Very sad to hear that. I was at the "Lillibridge game" at Yankee Stadium in April. Easily , for me , the high point of the season.
That was one of the most exciting games of the season for sure. I remember being at a packed bar who was primarily there to watch the Blackhawks/Canucks Game 7 later in the evening. The Cub fans started cheering when Cano hit it and of course, the Sox fans in the bar went crazy when Brent caught it. Cub fans sulked in their bar stools.:tongue:
http://www.beerleaguer.com/.a/6a00d834515b5c69e2015431f83e3b970c-500wi

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTEcqsHP-XIvRb9N0xA3cpI6MmbUPAQ--ByY6OdIpkrtHJNr_z

http://www.csnchicago.com/common/medialib/158/483193.jpg

veeter
09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
After watching Gordon continue to take steps backwards, Brent really deserves a look as the full time 2b next year.Would have agreed 100% earlier in the year. But Gordon's defense is just so damn good. And Brent has really settled into the super-sub role. But point taken Beckham better start figuring out this whole hitting thing.

SI1020
09-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Would have agreed 100% earlier in the year. But Gordon's defense is just so damn good. And Brent has really settled into the super-sub role. But point taken Beckham better start figuring out this whole hitting thing. He did have it figured out. Someone or something made him forget.

Daver
09-09-2011, 06:04 PM
But point taken Beckham better start figuring out this whole hitting thing.

That whole leave them in the minors long enough to get acclimated to pro pitching and wood bats idea is a really stupid idea, I'm glad the Sox rarely bother with it.

doublem23
09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Would have agreed 100% earlier in the year. But Gordon's defense is just so damn good. And Brent has really settled into the super-sub role. But point taken Beckham better start figuring out this whole hitting thing.

I think between Beckham and Lillibridge, that would give the Sox a damn fine bench next year. Covers almost the entire field, you've got your PH and your supersub IF

If Beckham is hand's down the starting 2B going into Spring Training next March, I am just going to throw a hissy fit

Mohoney
09-09-2011, 09:43 PM
That whole leave them in the minors long enough to get acclimated to pro pitching and wood bats idea is a really stupid idea, I'm glad the Sox rarely bother with it.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this except for the fact that Beckham looked more than competent with the bat his rookie year, and regressed after that.

If getting acclimated to wood bats was that big of a problem for him, why did he hit so well in his rookie year, while having to learn a new position as well?

delben91
09-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I think between Beckham and Lillibridge, that would give the Sox a damn fine bench next year. Covers almost the entire field, you've got your PH and your supersub IF

If Beckham is hand's down the starting 2B going into Spring Training next March, I am just going to throw a hissy fit

I'd start warming up right now. Use this as a guide -> :tantrum:

Daver
09-09-2011, 09:49 PM
I would wholeheartedly agree with this except for the fact that Beckham looked more than competent with the bat his rookie year, and regressed after that.

If getting acclimated to wood bats was that big of a problem for him, why did he hit so well in his rookie year, while having to learn a new position as well?

Josh Fields set the world on fire as a rookie call up, as have many others, it doesn't take long for pitchers to figure out how to pitch a rookie, more time in the minors would help hitters recognize this and know they have to adjust their approach.

By the end of the season every team in MLB will know to pitch Viciedo low and away and he will chase it, and everyone will blame Greg Walker for it.

doublem23
09-10-2011, 12:06 AM
By the end of the season every team in MLB will know to pitch Viciedo low and away and he will chase it, and everyone will blame Greg Walker for it.

What do hitting coaches on good teams do when the league figures out their hitters? Or is Walk the only guy in the league so miserable unlucky to have this happen to his players?

Sox
09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
That's really too bad...I so enjoyed watching him play this year and contribute offensively and defensively to this team. Would love to see him have more of a starting role next year.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Would love to see him have more of a starting role next year.I think the way he was used this year was just about perfect. He can play so many different positions, seems to be able to hit after sitting for a couple of days, that he's an extremely valuable utility guy in this era of short benches and large pitching staffs.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I think the way he was used this year was just about perfect. He can play so many different positions, seems to be able to hit after sitting for a couple of days, that he's an extremely valuable utility guy in this era of short benches and large pitching staffs.

Well said.

Get better soon, Lillibeast. See you in 2012!

vinny
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
I bet if we laid the hand to rest in a tomb and covered it with a big stone, three days later the stone would be rolled away, and the hand no where to be found....
:rolling:
Thank you. That just made my morning.

TheVulture
09-12-2011, 06:20 AM
I was at the game against the Twins, 8/31 I believe, where Ozzie pinch hit Dunn for Lillibridge in the 9th inning against Nathan. That moment struck me as Ozzie thumbing his nose at me as a Sox fan, and I was truly left with the impression that Ozzie wanted to lose that game. A year ago, I wouldn't have imagined being so pissed that Lillibridge was lifted for a pinch hitter with 350+ career homeruns. Just shows that Lillibridge has come along way. Hopefully Ozzie will soon go along way... Pains me to say as I've been a huge Ozzie fan since 1985. Anyway, let's hope Brent makes it back to the form he showed this season... he might have been the Sox best player outside of Konerko this year. Or am I going too far? Either way, pretty good player.