PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Number 7 - Official Sox Win Recap

Lip Man 1
09-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks like Konerko will get 30 homers and 100 RBI's.

He's had a great season.

10 more wins for a winning season.

Lip

sox1970
09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Looks like Konerko will get 30 homers and 100 RBI's.

He's had a great season.

Lip

This isn't 1965 under a balanced schedule. It just doesn't mean what it used to.

Either you make the playoffs or you don't.

soxfan1965
09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Beltin' Brent Morel showing much needed power at 3rd!

doublem23
09-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Picked up 1/2 game on idle Detroit! :bandance:

rfUYuIVbFg0

thomas35forever
09-08-2011, 11:41 PM
All-around good game. Let's play the rest of 'em just like that.

ChiSoxGal85
09-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice game! Good to see Brent having a game with the bat! Grand slam by Paul was awesome. Juan with #2,000!
On the bad side, the other Brent broke his hand in that HBP.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Sox 1970:

You've must have missed my dozen or so times where I explained that is my "ultimate" bottom line, when all else fails at least you have that.

A lot has failed this year. I take what I can get. Winning more games than losing is at least something.

Lip

sox1970
09-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Sox 1970:

You've must have missed my dozen or so times where I explained that is my "ultimate" bottom line, when all else fails at least you have that.

A lot has failed this year. I take what I can get. Winning more games than losing is at least something.

Lip

To each their own. When Cabrera hit the homer off Santos, that pretty much sealed it and the Sox were exactly .500 then. To me, no matter what they do the rest of the season, they're a .500 team.

soxfan1965
09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
If you endured the 1970 season, which I did, you would be happy for a .500 season. We are fortunate the Sox didn't move away too. The Sox have some expensive deadwood on their payroll, and to see these kids like Morel tonight make the season entertaining is great. Playoffs or not, this game would have been a great fun to have been there in person (especially with a Scout seat :smile:)

Soxman219
09-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Could it be? A start to a late run to the top of the Central?:o:

Lip Man 1
09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I never realized it was this bad offensively. From April 1 to Aug. 2, the Sox had scored five runs or more in an inning only three times.

:o:

Lip

34rancher
09-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Lip

Adam Dunn is excited. First time in career. No conincidence that since we benched him we've been better.

doublem23
09-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Adam Dunn is excited. First time in career. No conincidence that since we benched him we've been better.

I am shocked that moving the guy hitting .161 out of the middle of the order made the team better. Shocked.

Also: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2008.shtml

GlassSox
09-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Fun to watch tonight, special congrats to Juan, Morel, & PK

GlassSox
09-09-2011, 12:16 AM

You gave me false hopes, when I first looked at your post I thought you said exited.

amsteel
09-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Also: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2008.shtml

Arizona went 22-22 after he signed with them and Cincinnati was 52-67 when he left, so he has never played an over .500 season in his career.

soxfan1965
09-09-2011, 12:22 AM
You gave me false hopes, when I first looked at your post I thought you said exited. Great post, too funny!

SoxSpeed22
09-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Good to see Brent playing a lot better. Floyd battled out there too, despite having sub-par stuff.

kufram
09-09-2011, 02:05 AM
To each their own. When Cabrera hit the homer off Santos, that pretty much sealed it and the Sox were exactly .500 then. To me, no matter what they do the rest of the season, they're a .500 team.

What, you mean even if they don't finish above .500?

October26
09-09-2011, 07:41 AM
JP, Paulie, and Brent came ready to hit last night. Brent Morel - have a night! Sox pitching (including bullpen) was good.

Special congrats to Juan Pierre for getting his 2,000th hit. And I always enjoy being able to say:

:winner

SOXSINCE'70
09-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Either you make the playoffs or you don't.

For the THIRD straight season, the Sox miss the playoffs.:angry:

LITTLE NELL
09-09-2011, 08:08 AM
It always feels a little bit better to see your team in the year end standings with a better than .500. record. I know making the playoffs and advancing beyond that is the number one goal but if you don't get there a winning record is the next best thing. Hell, we don't want to be known as lovable losers.

Zakath
09-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Need one more win or a Detroit loss to guarantee that Detroit cannot clinch the Central title in Chicago.

hawkjt
09-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice job by the bullpen,covering 3+ innings for Gavin,who seems to be wearing down a bit...just not as sharp,altho he hung in there well.

Morel seems to be saying screw it,lately and turning on the ball a bit more. Hope he can continue to progress in that dept...need more homers from our third baseman at Soxpark. He really hammered both balls..congrats!

Great to see PK finally get another homer. Clearly since he got dinged by yet another HPB(along with Ramon,AJ and now Lilly),he has lagged in the power dept. Kudos to him for adjusting and continuing to get hits and rbis.

And yes, Juan Pierre got that 2000th hit in his 12th season. He will not get to 200 hits this year,but he might get to 190+,after a very tough start.
More importantly,the last time I looked he led the Sox in hitting with 2 outs men in scoring position as well as other clutch stats. Fans hammered him early,and guys like Dan Bernstein continue to hammer him,but I think you can throw some his numbers out the window,because as we have seen this year, clutch hitting is real,not a figment of our imagination.

Sabermetrics guys say that there is no such thing as ''clutch'' but I disagree. They say every hit is clutch and every out is not, as they like to reduce the game to pure numbers,like they are robots out there.

I wonder if these guys have ever actually been in a situation where there is a man on third in the bottom of the 9th,down a run, with two outs?
As someone who played baseball a lot in my youth, I know that those situations are not the same as being up with 2 outs in the third in with no one base in a 5-0 game. Pressure is real,when you are the one holding that bat. And in this year of the worst clutch hitting I can ever remember by a Sox team, I appreciate how Juan has responded in those situations. And just how he responded to the pressure of his slow start and being the object of ridicule by Bernstein and his ilk in town.

As PK said today, those guys inside baseball recognize what Juan brings to the table...something that sabermeterics guys can never understand.

Well done Juan! Congrats on 2000th hit...and good luck down the road!

SI1020
09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
And yes, Juan Pierre got that 2000th hit in his 12th season. He will not get to 200 hits this year,but he might get to 190+,after a very tough start.
More importantly,the last time I looked he led the Sox in hitting with 2 outs men in scoring position as well as other clutch stats. Fans hammered him early,and guys like Dan Bernstein continue to hammer him,but I think you can throw some his numbers out the window,because as we have seen this year, clutch hitting is real,not a figment of our imagination.

Sabermetrics guys say that there is no such thing as ''clutch'' but I disagree. They say every hit is clutch and every out is not, as they like to reduce the game to pure numbers,like they are robots out there.

I wonder if these guys have ever actually been in a situation where there is a man on third in the bottom of the 9th,down a run, with two outs?
As someone who played baseball a lot in my youth, I know that those situations are not the same as being up with 2 outs in the third in with no one base in a 5-0 game. Pressure is real,when you are the one holding that bat. And in this year of the worst clutch hitting I can ever remember by a Sox team, I appreciate how Juan has responded in those situations. And just how he responded to the pressure of his slow start and being the object of ridicule by Bernstein and his ilk in town.

As PK said today, those guys inside baseball recognize what Juan brings to the table...something that sabermeterics guys can never understand.

Well done Juan! Congrats on 2000th hit...and good luck down the road! You may catch some hell around here for this sort of heresy but FWIW I agree with you. Batting average doesn't count. Either does ERA or RBIs. A pitcher without a high K rate is no good. OBP rules above all. There is no such things as clutch hitting. It all gets so ****ing tiresome. How can you enjoy the game with that sort of thinking?

doublem23
09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
You may catch some hell around here for this sort of heresy but FWIW I agree with you. Batting average doesn't count. Either does ERA or RBIs. A pitcher without a high K rate is no good. OBP rules above all. There is no such things as clutch hitting. It all gets so ****ing tiresome. How can you enjoy the game with that sort of thinking?

I don't think batting average, RBIs, or ERA matter very much. I don't go quite so far with the K/rate, but it is important. You are correct, on-base percentage is the most important offensive stat, followed closely by Outs Created. Somehow, I enjoy baseball thoroughly.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Double:

Just curious, not being sarcastic. Can you explain a little what you look for in a player or team as involved in stats as you are?

Edit: You must have edited your post. Never mind.

Lip

SI1020
09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't think batting average, RBIs, or ERA matter very much. I don't go quite so far with the K/rate, but it is important. You are correct, on-base percentage is the most important offensive stat, followed closely by Outs Created. Somehow, I enjoy baseball thoroughly. Actually I love stats. I go over them constantly. My love of statistics extends into demographics which I have studied since I was a child. I just in no way interpret baseball the way you have just outlined. Please don't tell me Jake Peavy's ERA and Adam Dunn's batting average mean nothing. People just tend to follow trends in art, fashion, sports, politics you name it. I've never done that.

kittle42
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
You may catch some hell around here for this sort of heresy but FWIW I agree with you. Batting average doesn't count. Either does ERA or RBIs. A pitcher without a high K rate is no good. OBP rules above all. There is no such things as clutch hitting. It all gets so ****ing tiresome. How can you enjoy the game with that sort of thinking?

I don't think any stats are meaningless - some just more important/significant, and all must be considered in context of whatever is being discussed/evaluated. I think what gets stats guys like us going is when someone comes by and says something like wins are the most important stat for a pitcher. I mean, I get what they are saying, but in player evaluation, I think it's just a vast, vast oversimplification (and, in some respects, just wrong).

I'm also an avid roto guy.

But I can enjoy baseball like anyone. Stats only enhance my enjoyment of the game to a level I don't reach with football, hockey or basketball. From a stats standpoint, there are times I can enjoy baseball at 2am when nary a game is to be found.

By any metric, Adam Dunn sucks.

SI1020
09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think any stats are meaningless - some just more important/significant, and all must be considered in context of whatever is being discussed/evaluated.

By any metric, Adam Dunn sucks. I agree completely with both statements. Perhaps I was too harsh in stating "How can you enjoy the game", referring to statheads in a previous post. It's the joyless anal retentive types who seem to place their arbitrary rules above all else that make me wonder. I doubt there are too many like that on this site, while I fully realize how we look at stats has changed greatly in the last two decades and most younger fans are more in tune with the changes. Again, you've summed it up nicely and I thank you.