PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Did the Twins Win? Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Nope.:tongue:

Zakath
09-06-2011, 09:40 PM
40th road win of the year. 4th team to reach that mark (the other three are the Phillies, Yankees, and Red Sox).

Not that it's doing us that much good. Magic number down to 14. Hard to catch a team that isn't losing.

all*star quentin
09-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey, what do you know, the "old timers" can play!

I'll take the W! :gulp:

WhiteSoxOnly
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Good on you White Sox.Never get tired of beating THEM.:wink:

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
This weekend's drubbing aside, it's too bad the Sox didn't win some of those winnable 1-run losses to the Twins earlier this year.

Glad to win another series in MIN, even if the Twins seriously are terrible.

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
40th road win of the year. 4th team to reach that mark (the other three are the Phillies, Yankees, and Red Sox).

Not that it's doing us that much good. Magic number down to 14. Hard to catch a team that isn't losing.

Imagine if they were just .500 at home to go with that excellent road record.

BNLSox
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
We were 1-7 against the Twins earlier this year. Now we go into the last game of the season against them with an opportunity to win the season series and at worst tying it.

Ozzie, many of us won't miss you - but good job exorcising your Twins demons this 2nd half.

vinny
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Nice title.

Hey - we made our few hits count and only stranded two runners. Inconceivable!

October26
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Especially against the Twins, I love being able to say:

:winner

jdm2662
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
It's good to know it took until August before the Sox realized the Twins suck serious ass this year. Better late than never I guess.

Is Cuddyer even hurt, or are the Twins just mailing it in? I know Kubel at least has had foot problems. And we all thought the lineup the Sox fielded tonight was bad!

Johnny Mostil
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Imagine if they were just .500 at home to go with that excellent road record.

Eh, they'd be 74-66 and still trailing the Tigers by 5 . . .

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
We were 1-7 against the Twins earlier this year. Now we go into the last game of the season against them with an opportunity to win the season series and at worst tying it.

Ozzie, many of us won't miss you - but good job exorcising your Twins demons this 2nd half.

Pretty much what I was thinking...Small moral victory!

guillensdisciple
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Annual make it look better than it really is end of the season winning streak?

Soxman219
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
:notwinks

Lip Man 1
09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
11 more wins for a winning season.

Don't stop now boys...LOL

Lip

soxfan1965
09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Maybe the pressure is off, so they can play loose, though it helps it's the Twins and cooler weather. Jake makes up for the 6 spot in the first inning last time, and the Sox need to sweep tomorrow to make up for the missed sweep last week. Just playing for pride, but hopefully finishing strong as a segue for a great 2012, starting with serious offseason work by Dunn, Rios and Peavy.

Zakath
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
We've now won the last 6 meetings in Minnesota, outscoring the Twins 27-5, with 3 of the Twins' runs coming in one inning (the first inning of the first game of this stretch, and those three runs were unearned).

Thus, in 54 innings, the Sox team ERA is 0.33.

TDog
09-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice title.

Hey - we made our few hits count and only stranded two runners. Inconceivable!

The Sox got two runners into scoring position and scored them both, surrounding a Alex Rios homer. Brent Morel's single wasn't hit all that well, but not striking out with a runner on third and less than two outs will get you some runs batted in. Meanwhile, Jake Peavy was good enough to keep the Twins from scoring the multiple runners they got in scoring position. And the bullpen did its job.

Does anyone remember coming out of the All-Star break how some baseball commentators were saying they liked the Twins? Does anyone remember the thread seeking predictions as to when the Twins would pass the White Sox in the standings?

Obviously, many don't care because the Tigers are destroying the Indians after destroying the White Sox this weekend, pretty much doing what they needed to do since they had trouble putting the Royals away last week. But it's been awhile (sadly not years or even an entire season) since fans could complain that the White Sox roll over and play dead when they are facing the Twins. And there is something to be said for that.

Unfortunately, Tyler Flowers seems to be dragging offensively and may be done as a reliable hitter this year. He's in a 1-for-19 slump, I think. Or maybe a couple of days off would help. Or maybe it's to the point where the Sox don't care about Flowers' offense and simply want him to continue to develop defensively with this pitching staff. Alejandro De Aza, on the other hand, continues to impress and really was tonight's hitting star.

In the end, the White Sox once again beat a pitcher who had never before faced the White Sox. Of course, if Peavy gave up six runs in the first, people might have been complaining that the Sox always lose to pitchers they have never seen.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
14th shutout thrown by the Sox staff this season.

IF is the biggest little word in the world...I'll use it here. IF they had even average major league hitting.

:?:

Lip

delben91
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM
11 more wins for a winning season.

Don't stop now boys...LOL

Lip

Eh, even if they're out of it, I'd still rather have the Sox win than lose.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Delben:

I am as well which is why I made the refernce of 11 more wins for a winning season.

But even if they accomplish that goal (and that's my ultimate bottom line) this has to be one of the most disappointing seasons ever to me. Ranks right up there with 68,73 and 84.

The expectations were high but they were not unreasonable given the way the team looked on paper.

It's ironic that the are now horse whipping the Twins for example when it doesn't matter much anymore...when they still had a reason to think they could overcome things, they fell flat on their faces to them.

Lip

Tragg
09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
The Twins are punting this season, grabbing high draft picks, and will probably be reloaded next year (although I can't say the Norfolk crowd's been impressive).

captain54
09-06-2011, 11:56 PM
14th shutout thrown by the Sox staff this season.

IF is the biggest little word in the world...I'll use it here. IF they had even average major league hitting.

:?:

Lip

2011 will be the year we were treated to a healthy, ripe on the vine helping of good ole' WalkerBall...

hawkjt
09-07-2011, 12:56 AM
At some point,you do just have to tip your hat to the Tigers. They have baseball magic and talent going this year. Avila is the best catcher in the league, Cabrera is the best hitter this side of Bautista, Martinez is close behind, Peralta is hitting over .300, Jackson is player of the week and on fire,Young is hotter than crap since coming over,Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball and their closer is 41 of 41....they have gone 15-4 down the stretch.
The Tigers probably catch the Rangers,and might possibly even catch the Yanks and Boston by the end. Fister has pitched great for them since coming over.

Everything fell into place for the Tigers,and they have a talented high-payroll team,so it is not like the Sox should have walked away with this division as a lot of fans insist. They have the lock for Cy Young,and he could be MVP or Cabrera also could charge to that award. Sox cannot match that star power this year.

Good for the Sox to keep playing and pitching hard. Rios has 4 hits the last two games,so maybe he is figuring something out...Hawk said that he and Walker were working on something in the cage today.

Keep winning Sox, never give up,til the math demands it.

LITTLE NELL
09-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Delben:

I am as well which is why I made the refernce of 11 more wins for a winning season.

But even if they accomplish that goal (and that's my ultimate bottom line) this has to be one of the most disappointing seasons ever to me. Ranks right up there with 68,73 and 84.

The expectations were high but they were not unreasonable given the way the team looked on paper.

It's ironic that the are now horse whipping the Twins for example when it doesn't matter much anymore...when they still had a reason to think they could overcome things, they fell flat on their faces to them.

Lip

Have to throw in 1960, 1994 and 2006.

October26
09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
The Sox got two runners into scoring position and scored them both, surrounding a Alex Rios homer. Brent Morel's single wasn't hit all that well, but not striking out with a runner on third and less than two outs will get you some runs batted in. Meanwhile, Jake Peavy was good enough to keep the Twins from scoring the multiple runners they got in scoring position. And the bullpen did its job.

Does anyone remember coming out of the All-Star break how some baseball commentators were saying they liked the Twins? Does anyone remember the thread seeking predictions as to when the Twins would pass the White Sox in the standings?

Obviously, many don't care because the Tigers are destroying the Indians after destroying the White Sox this weekend, pretty much doing what they needed to do since they had trouble putting the Royals away last week. But it's been awhile (sadly not years or even an entire season) since fans could complain that the White Sox roll over and play dead when they are facing the Twins. And there is something to be said for that.

Unfortunately, Tyler Flowers seems to be dragging offensively and may be done as a reliable hitter this year. He's in a 1-for-19 slump, I think. Or maybe a couple of days off would help. Or maybe it's to the point where the Sox don't care about Flowers' offense and simply want him to continue to develop defensively with this pitching staff. Alejandro De Aza, on the other hand, continues to impress and really was tonight's hitting star.

In the end, the White Sox once again beat a pitcher who had never before faced the White Sox. Of course, if Peavy gave up six runs in the first, people might have been complaining that the Sox always lose to pitchers they have never seen.

Thanks, TDog. Great post. What do you think is happening to Flowers? Tired? Slump? Or the league catching up to his swing? Flowers looked so good at the pl

October26
09-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Sorry, last line in my message above got cutoff. I was trying to say that Flowers had such a nice swing a few weeks back and I'm wondering what's happening with him at the plate? Flowers continues to impress with his catching/throwing abilities.

Chez
09-07-2011, 07:57 AM
You got to play the games; you might as well win them. Nice to see Santos bounce back after two consecutive bad outings.

slavko
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
You got to play the games; you might as well win them. Nice to see Santos bounce back after two consecutive bad outings.

Sergio needs to develop more consistency with that slider, which is a wipeout when he's on. Also, he used the straight change more last night, as some of us were discussing here a few games ago. Hawk & Stone mentioned it too. I didn't notice a lack of communication between them, maybe winning makes people more talkative, and vice versa.

One-pitch Thornton was mixing in what they called a curve to good effect. I only remember an occasional weak slider in the past. He must realize that he needs another pitch. We've known it for years.

asindc
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Sergio needs to develop more consistency with that slider, which is a wipeout when he's on. Also, he used the straight change more last night, as some of us were discussing here a few games ago. Hawk & Stone mentioned it too. I didn't notice a lack of communication between them, maybe winning makes people more talkative, and vice versa.

One-pitch Thornton was mixing in what they called a curve to good effect. I only remember an occasional weak slider in the past. He must realize that he needs another pitch. We've known it for years.

I said last night that if Thornton had been showing that second pitch from the beginning of the season, I would not have been critical of Ozzie's decision to make him the opening day closer.

doublem23
09-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Everything fell into place for the Tigers,and they have a talented high-payroll team,so it is not like the Sox should have walked away with this division as a lot of fans insist. They have the lock for Cy Young,and he could be MVP or Cabrera also could charge to that award. Sox cannot match that star power this year.

Doesn't help that roughly 2/3 of our starting lineup doesn't even belong in the Major Leagues this year.

FielderJones
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm glad to see the Sox beating the Twins, most of whom I don't like. Still, I have to tip my hat :tiphat: to Trevor Plouffe for using When the Levee Breaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJQT2eDseA) as his walkup music.

asindc
09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
At some point,you do just have to tip your hat to the Tigers. They have baseball magic and talent going this year. Avila is the best catcher in the league, Cabrera is the best hitter this side of Bautista, Martinez is close behind, Peralta is hitting over .300, Jackson is player of the week and on fire,Young is hotter than crap since coming over,Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball and their closer is 41 of 41....they have gone 15-4 down the stretch.
The Tigers probably catch the Rangers,and might possibly even catch the Yanks and Boston by the end. Fister has pitched great for them since coming over.

Good for the Sox to keep playing and pitching hard. Rios has 4 hits the last two games,so maybe he is figuring something out...Hawk said that he and Walker were working on something in the cage today.

Keep winning Sox, never give up,til the math demands it.

I said at the beginning of the season that if the Sox don't win the division it will be because Detroit does. I never thought Minny had much of a chance because of their lousy pitching, though some posters here were afraid of them in ways they chastise the players for seemingly being afraid of them. Dombrowski has built his team around a top-3 pitcher and a top-3 hitter. It is finally working this year, but in order to sustain it he will have to put together a better starting rotation. For now, though, they are playing clutch baseball at the best time possible. The Sox have done much to lose it, of course, but Detroit is not having it handed to them. They are taking it.

Chez
09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm glad to see the Sox beating the Twins, most of whom I don't like. Still, I have to tip my hat :tiphat: to Trevor Plouffe for using When the Levee Breaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJQT2eDseA) as his walkup music.

Wow. I missed that. I guess that fact alone makes Plouffe my new, favorite Twin! It's even fun to say his last name. Plouffe, Plouffe, Plouffe.

DirtySox
09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
It's safe to say the Sox have a handle on the Rochester Red Wings.

kittle42
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
It's safe to say the Sox have a handle on the Rochester Red Wings.

Ha, no kidding.

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry, last line in my message above got cutoff.Just click on the "edit" button to fix your posts when something like that happens.

FielderJones
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow. I missed that. I guess that fact alone makes Plouffe my new, favorite Twin! It's even fun to say his last name. Plouffe, Plouffe, Plouffe.

We both like Led Zeppelin, we both went to school in Champaign, we both ended up in Clarendon Hills ... are you my doppelganger? :wink:

October26
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Just click on the "edit" button to fix your posts when something like that happens.

Thanks. I usually click on the edit button. But today, for some reason my smarphone would not let me click on the last line to update the post. It was though the "buffer" was full with TDog's original message that I was inquring about, so that's why I added the second post for clarification. I normally don't have problems editing my posts.

Crestani
09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Doesn't help that roughly 2/3 of our starting lineup doesn't even belong in the Major Leagues this year.

Please expound on who the 2/3 comprises..!!

vinny
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Please expound on who the 2/3 comprises..!!
Well, if you're going by salary, Dunn and Rios. :redneck

TDog
09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks, TDog. Great post. What do you think is happening to Flowers? Tired? Slump? Or the league catching up to his swing? Flowers looked so good at the pl

It's a long season, even if Flowers has spent most of it in the minors. This year, he didn't just get called up in September. Not long after coming up to replace Castro, he had to step in and be the everyday catcher, even when those days came in afternoons after night games.

It's possible the league has figured him out, but I think it's more likely that the rigors of catching and working so hard on the defensive end of catching has worn him down. A lot of players get worn down at the end of the season, and the season is most wearing on catchers, which is why every team needs a good backup. It might be a combination of things, Flowers lying in the weeks, so to speak, with pitchers working on old scouting reports before new scouting reports took their place while the knees become a little weaker and the swing a little slower.

I have been impressed with his defense, even if his hitting has slumped. Defense was my biggest concern with him, although he was hitting better than I expected him to. I think he just needs some time off, and he may have nothing left this season offensively. I hope that's the case. If it's a matter of not being able to adjust after pitchers in the majors figure him out, he won't be the offensive player he showed signs of being.