PDA

View Full Version : Very early for season to be locked up

downstairs
09-06-2011, 01:50 PM
It seems that there are basically no pennant races... and its only September 6! LAAAAA/Texas may be a race, but I can't see anyone else actually on the bubble.

Yeah, home field advantage and all that is up for grabs, but that's not too interesting to me.

The Sox are out of it, and now there's very little to watch in baseball :(

Since the Wild Card, has a season been practically decided this early?

asindc
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Unless the Sox go 23-0 to close the season, this will be the first time since 2007 that the AL Central did not go down to the final week. LAAAAA usually had three mediocre-to-lousy teams to 'battle' for the AL West, and usually two teams in the AL East separated themselves from the pack by this time. The NL has generally been more competitive and compelling late in the season in the past decade or so, but St. Louis and LAD have fallen hard this year, and Philly is playing against its own standard at this point.

PKalltheway
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Tom Verducci discusses this a little bit here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tom_verducci/09/02/pennant.races.tv/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a4

With the AL, the only question left are the matchups. The NL matchups, barring any unforseen collapses, are set for the most part. Philly will open at home against Arizona, while the Brewers will open at home against the Braves.

The Angels close out the season at home against Texas, so if those teams stay close until then, that final series should be fun. But yeah, these final three weeks will suck.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
The Sox are out of it, and now there's very little to watch in baseball :(
It requires a "paradigm shift." The pennant race is over for the Sox, so now stop thinking about it as a baseball season, think about it as discrete baseball games. Watch the game tonight for the baseball within those nine innings. Yesterday is irrelevant, tomorrow is irrelevant. There is a baseball game being contested tonight, and the results of that is all that matters for tonight.

That's what I do, because there will be no more baseball games for the year soon enough, and I will miss them.

downstairs
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Tom Verducci discusses this a little bit here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tom_verducci/09/02/pennant.races.tv/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a4

With the AL, the only question left are the matchups. The NL matchups, barring any unforseen collapses, are set for the most part. Philly will open at home against Arizona, while the Brewers will open at home against the Braves.

The Angels close out the season at home against Texas, so if those teams stay close until then, that final series should be fun. But yeah, these final three weeks will suck.

Nice, but I think its an anomoly and should not be "addressed" by adding more playoff teams.

GlassSox
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
It requires a "paradigm shift." The pennant race is over for the Sox, so now stop thinking about it as a baseball season, think about it as discrete baseball games. Watch the game tonight for the baseball within those nine innings. Yesterday is irrelevant, tomorrow is irrelevant. There is a baseball game being contested tonight, and the results of that is all that matters for tonight.

That's what I do, because there will be no more baseball games for the year soon enough, and I will miss them.

I agree, I have been in this mode since the Detroit debacle. I will continue to watch Sox baseball one game at a time and hope for an improved 2012.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Nellie:

There's always tapes and DVD's of games to watch in the off season.

And the Sox still have something to play for in my mind, it's not much but a winning season is better than a losing one in my book.

Lip

DumpJerry
09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Nellie:

There's always tapes and DVD's of games to watch in the off season.

Lip
That's not the same. The outcome and the plays during the game are already known.

GlassSox
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
That's not the same. The outcome and the plays during the game are already known.

That does take the pressure & anxiety off of the viewer.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'm not one to watch games when I already know the outcome, much less ones I've already seen. I don't even bother to have a DVR, because I know from experience that when I record stuff, I never get around to watching it.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2011, 12:00 AM
It's still baseball and miracle of miracles the Sox ALWAYS win! LOL.

Seriously watching games that I already know the outcome of doesn't bother me...classic games, great great, you can always watch and the Sox have had a few of those over the past 30 years. And it gives me something to look forward to in January.

Lip

bridgeportcopper
09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Call me crazy but with the Rays jumping out to a 5-0 lead tonite, they can cut the wildcard deficit to 5.5 games behind the slumping Red Sawx. Tomorrow its Hellickson vs a rookie, Sunday Shields vs Lester. With a little luck they could be 3.5 out Sunday night! I wouldn't say its all locked up just yet........Wouldn't it be fun to see a collapse like that happen to the baseball capitol of the world!

Fenway
09-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Call me crazy but with the Rays jumping out to a 5-0 lead tonite, they can cut the wildcard deficit to 5.5 games behind the slumping Red Sawx. Tomorrow its Hellickson vs a rookie, Sunday Shields vs Lester. With a little luck they could be 3.5 out Sunday night! I wouldn't say its all locked up just yet........Wouldn't it be fun to see a collapse like that happen to the baseball capitol of the world!

We have 6 more with Tampa...we are banged up

TDog
09-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Nice, but I think its an anomoly and should not be "addressed" by adding more playoff teams.

Well put. In 1964, only the first-place team in each league made the post season, and each league was decided by one game. This year you have six divisions, two wild cards and everything seems settled before Septmber is half over.

If you want races at the end of the season to determine four postseason teams, having four divisions would give you your best chance of having the most races. The wild card has a better chanc of preventing a race than creating one. This year, there would be a race in the AL East if there weren't a wild card.

By the same token, if you did away with the divisions and just sent the top four teams to the postseason, your chances of having a any sort of a race in September. There might be exceptions, anomolies. Ignoring the unbalancd schedule and just looking at the records for the sake of comparison, there would have been a great race in 2005 in the AL. (I'm not so sure, though, that a team that collapses, like the 1964 Phillies should go to the postseason. The 2005 White Sox didn't collapse, despite what you may have heard. They finished with the league's best record.)

The wild card really is robbing baseball of a great race between the Yankees and the Red Sox this year. Imagine the increased excitment if those games that Fox etc. thinks everyon cares about because it's the Red Sox and Yankees would instead be at the center of a great pennant race.

Rarely do you have two teams battling to the end for the league's fourth best record and the wild card. Off the top of my head, I can think of the Cubs and Giants, resulting in a one-game playoff late in the last century. Typically, there isn't much of a wild card race because the wild card generally has at least the league's third best record.

TommyJohn
09-10-2011, 07:48 AM
(I'm not so sure, though, that a team that collapses, like the 1964 Phillies should go to the postseason. The 2005 White Sox didn't collapse, despite what you may have heard. They finished with the league's best record.)

100% agree. The 2006 Detroit Tigers are the perfect example of this. They were at one point ahead by 10.5 games. Not only did they not win the division, but all they had to do was beat the Royals one out of three in the final series of the year to win the division and they didn't do it. They got the wildcard as a result, then suddenly got over their slump, went 8-1 in the AL playoffs only to choke in the World Series against a team that went 83-78 in the regular season.

When the Chicago media writes the history of the 2005 White Sox, they will probably write about how they "almost" collapsed. And I have seen and heard comments that the 2005 White Sox "got hot at the right time." How the hell does a team that finished 99-63, stay in first place all season and have the best recod in the league all season "get hot at the right time"? Take what the White Sox did in 2005 and transfer it to the 2004 Red Sox (the w-t-w run, the 11-1 playoff record) and it would've been the most miraculous happening in sports history. There I said it.

DSpivack
09-10-2011, 05:54 PM
100% agree. The 2006 Detroit Tigers are the perfect example of this. They were at one point ahead by 10.5 games. Not only did they not win the division, but all they had to do was beat the Royals one out of three in the final series of the year to win the division and they didn't do it. They got the wildcard as a result, then suddenly got over their slump, went 8-1 in the AL playoffs only to choke in the World Series against a team that went 83-78 in the regular season.

When the Chicago media writes the history of the 2005 White Sox, they will probably write about how they "almost" collapsed. And I have seen and heard comments that the 2005 White Sox "got hot at the right time." How the hell does a team that finished 99-63, stay in first place all season and have the best recod in the league all season "get hot at the right time"? Take what the White Sox did in 2005 and transfer it to the 2004 Red Sox (the w-t-w run, the 11-1 playoff record) and it would've been the most miraculous happening in sports history. There I said it.

There are, what, like 4 teams ever that went wire-to-wire in their division and swept the World Series?

Tragg
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
The AL is getting slightly interesting. Texas-LA is a race, and Boston is coming back to the pack in the WC, perhaps letting Tampa and the Texas/LA loser sneak in.
You have to hand it to the Tigers - they are kicking tail when it counts.

Zakath
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
The only fight left in the NL is who gets home-field in the DS and gets to play the Braves instead of the Phillies.

Hard to believe that the D-Backs have gone 46-27 since we took 2 of 3 from them in mid-June, and have been able to pull essentially even with Milwaukee.

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM

I am not trying to take anything away from the 2005 White Sox obviously, but I think that phrase "getting hot at the right time" meant that thanks to the Indians INSANE run the White Sox were playing very meaningful games in September. Even those last three games of the season meant something (though not for the White Sox). Compare that to the 1983 White Sox who just ran away with the division and pretty much had the whole thing wrapped up by September.

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Also, it would be great to see the Red Sox choke and the Rays make the playoffs but then Selig might pass a rule that mandates the Red Sox and Yankees will always make the playoffs.

Fenway
09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Also, it would be great to see the Red Sox choke and the Rays make the playoffs but then Selig might pass a rule that mandates the Red Sox and Yankees will always make the playoffs.

:praying:

Lip Man 1
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
5187:

He's already going to when they move to five teams from each league in the playoffs probably starting next year.

Lip

downstairs
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
There are, what, like 4 teams ever that went wire-to-wire in their division and swept the World Series?

I agree that the Sox never "collapsed", but the whole wire-to-wire thing is the most bogus achievement in baseball. You can lose your first 3 games, and go 159-0 the rest of the season, and you will not have achieved what these wire-to-wire teams did.

bridgeportcopper
09-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Any sphincters starting to tighten around Beantown just yet?

downstairs
09-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Any sphincters starting to tighten around Beantown just yet?

Funny, I was just thinking last night that I very well may have started this thread too early...