PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie On Dunn, Rios Next Season

Lip Man 1
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Says both need to "work harder," then backtracks and says not Rios, that he works hard every day.

What does this say about Dunn? Was this 'Ozzie being Ozzie' or is something more going on here??

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/7486627-574/ozzie-embarrassment-should-spark-dunn-rios.html

Lip

asindc
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Says both need to "work harder," then backtracks and says not Rios, that he works hard every day.

What does this say about Dunn? Was this 'Ozzie being Ozzie' or is something more going on here??

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/7486627-574/ozzie-embarrassment-should-spark-dunn-rios.html

Lip

Actually, he did not backtrack on Rios. The article quotes him as saying now they have to work... I'm not going to say Rios. Rios works hard every day.

I did not put those exact words into quotation marks because I know the forum rules forbid directly quoting from a published source, but my point is that the article does not quote Ozzie as saying that Rios does not work hard and then saying Rios works hard. According to what the article quotes him as saying, Ozzie says that while Rios works hard, both Rios and Dunn have to work harder in the offseason because they are getting older.

kaufsox
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I think it's Ozzie letting more float out there about Dunn. He's used his mouth piece, Joe Cowley, on a a couple of occasions to get some things out there as early as the first week of August.

VMSNS
09-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Rios and Ozzie seem to get along very well, so I doubt Ozzie is going to say anything too terrible about him. Dunn, on the other hand, is Kenny's guy.

soxfan1965
09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Rios snapped his bat last night after the stikeout for the clutch at-bat to end the 8th. To me, that's a good sign. I hope he can channel that anger into a good, productive off season unlike any he has had before. If so, and he comes back not dogging it games, shows he is a gamer, and still struggles,this man needs encourgement. The way he snaps bats and swings hard in the clubhouse, we don't want a "Fear Strikes Out" situation (where is Jimmy these days, by the way?). If he dogs it, then he should get max flack, but if he does what he should and struggles, I'd say, keep at it Alex, you'll break out. Dunn, I don't know what to say.

SI1020
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Rios snapped his bat last night after the stikeout for the clutch at-bat to end the 8th. To me, that's a good sign. I hope he can channel that anger into a good, productive off season unlike any he has had before. If so, and he comes back not dogging it games, shows he is a gamer, and still struggles,this man needs encourgement. The way he snaps bats and swings hard in the clubhouse, we don't want a "Fear Strikes Out" situation (where is Jimmy these days, by the way?). If he dogs it, then he should get max flack, but if he does what he should and struggles, I'd say, keep at it Alex, you'll break out. Dunn, I don't know what to say. Didn't he do a number in the dugout in a recent game too?

Scottiehaswheels
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
He's been slamming his helmet and bat in the dugout damn near all year. I've seen it a bunch of times heading to a break or whatever. He's clearly frustrated.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2011, 04:31 PM
He's been slamming his helmet and bat in the dugout damn near all year. I've seen it a bunch of times heading to a break or whatever. He's clearly frustrated.Since I watch the games on Extra Innings (or Fox Sports North when they're playing the Twins) I don't always get the same feed you guys do. I didn't see the incidents you reference, but I'm certain you're right.

WhiteSox5187
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Rios has been demonstrating a little more passion, for lack of a better word, of late and I can't help but wonder if some of that comes from the fact that De Aza is now on the roster. As for Dunn, before he came here he had a reputation as a guy with a somewhat poor work ethic. As has been well documented here, he never swung a bat in the off season and I think I heard that he was a bit of a partier during the season. I know that the Reds couldn't wait to get rid of him, the Diamondbacks didn't even attempt to bring him back and the only reason the Nationals didn't trade him was because the owner intervened.

soxfan1965
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Since I watch the games on Extra Innings (or Fox Sports North when they're playing the Twins) I don't always get the same feed you guys do. I didn't see the incidents you reference, but I'm certain you're right. Rios bat snap: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18963699&topic_id=8879206&c_id=cws

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Rios bat snap: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18963699&topic_id=8879206&c_id=cwsTHAT I saw. It was the other incidents that posters were referencing that I don't remember. When I'm watching the other team's feed, they generally don't focus on the Sox dugout.