PDA

View Full Version : **Official** Zach attack 9-5 Game Two postgamer

DumpJerry
09-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok, I waited ten minutes and no thread got started.

Zach Stewart: you da man!

amsteel
09-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Think about this:

The Sox will finish above .500 in MPLS this season.

5-2 with two games to go.

rookie
09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Good job kid! Thanks for making it an exciting night.

Rikirk
Hopefully we see more of this from young Mr. Stewart...

Or he'll get good and they'll promptly trade him away.

mccoydp
Damn good game. You can't do much better than Zach's performance tonight. The Sox scored enough to win, so that's another positive. :D:

:winner

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Think about this:

The Sox will finish above .500 in MPLS this season.

5-2 with two games to go.

We also have tied the season series after starting out 0-6!

Nelfox02
well, Sox gave the fans still following the team a fun holiday at least.

great pitching performances on both sides of the ledger tonight....Zach had me on the edge of my seat to start the 8th. Perfection was not in the cards, but he was outstanding tonight

just enough offense today

lets finish strong at least before heading into a long and cold off season

Soxman219
First time the W.Sox swept a doubleheader in a while.

PalehosePlanet
28 up, 27 down. Almost made history...

Congrats on your first career shutout kid! Thanks for giving us a thrill and something positive to talk about after a brutal weekend.

jdm2662
And that one hit was on a pitch that was WAY outside. At least the hit was legit. Nice game Zack. Both of your wins this season have been against the Twins. Works for me.

Tragg
09-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Next season's 4th and 5th starters did some mighty find pitching today.

JB98
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
There is a new occupant in the American League Central basement — the Minnesota Twins. But at least the Twins are sucking in a fundamentally sound way.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

The Sox may stink this year, but that won't stop me from pointing at Gardenhose and laughing at his crappy Twins.

Aesero
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Good stuff. Could have been great stuff, but still was fun to watch.

kevingrt
09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
So how about that seven man rotation we are going to feature next season?

Who gets traded Danks or Floyd?

veeter
Great job by Zach. He was pinpoint and in perfect sync with Flowers. Good, snappy ball game that was fun to watch. Ilove watching all the young guys play.

russ99
Awesome game to watch. Too bad Zach couldn't have gotten the no-no, but still a fantastic outing.

Let's sweep these clowns, even if we're pretty much out of it.

Rikirk
09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
If I were a betting person...Id say Floyd.

October26
09-05-2011, 10:02 PM
What a fun day of White Sox baseball after a miserable weekend in Detroit.

Zach Stewart with an oustanding pitching performance tonight. He also has very cool hair. :cool:

Brent M and Alexei, have a night offensively and defensively!

Sox sweep DH from Twins - Love it!! :bandance::bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Amazing, outstanding performance by Zach Stewart!!! The one hit he gave up was on a pitch well outside - I don't know how Valencia managed to get a bat on that. The Sox supported him with some great defense, specifically by Morel and Alexei.

After that devastating series against the Tigers, it was so awesome to have something to cheer for (although Humber's performance in the early game was excellent as well).

Can we just play the Twins the rest of the season? :D:

tstrike2000
09-05-2011, 10:05 PM
There is a new occupant in the American League Central basement *the Minnesota Twins. But at least the Twins are sucking in a fundamentally sound way.

The Sox may stink this year, but that won't stop me from pointing at Gardenhose and laughing at his crappy Twins.

The irony is 3/4 of the team probably actually lives in Gardenhose's basement since they're all up from AAA.

amsteel
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
According to ESPN, ZS's game score of 94 gets him second best of 2011 honors:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/topperformers/_/type/pitching

voodoochile
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Zach, picture them standing...

:tiphat:

DickAllen72
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I wasn't overly upset after Saturday's game and I figured I'd probably not be watching much more Sox baseball this year. Today, after watching every inning of two games, I am more bothered by Saturday's loss than I was on Saturday.

Rikirk
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Sad thing is that this will probably be the only season where the Twins stunk it up...and we couldnt take advantage of it.

Anyone want to take bets the kitties will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

My opinions.

JB98
09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
The irony is 3/4 of the team probably actually lives in Gardenhose's basement since they're all up from AAA.

Yeah, not to diminish Stewart's accomplishment, but that Twins lineup was Mauer, Valencia and a bunch of dudes from Rochester.

Of course, the Sox got beat by a bunch of dudes from Rochester in May. Stewart dominated that crap lineup like a good pitcher should.

Soxman219
09-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Sad thing is that this will probably be the only season where the Twins stunk it up...and we couldnt take advantage of it.

Anyone want to take bets the kitties will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

My opinions.

Tigers will get swept or win a game.

09-05-2011, 10:15 PM

My opinions.

Unlikely

Rikirk
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Well im looking at their track record, they are a good team.

Tragg
09-05-2011, 10:21 PM
So how about that seven man rotation we are going to feature next season?

Who gets traded Danks or Floyd?Danks because we'll never sign him.
But we don't have 7. We have 6 and minus MB, we have 5.

DumpJerry
09-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I guess a better thread title would have been "fundamentally sound pitching" but that is a bit long for a thread title.

GlassSox
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Well I actually watched this game and I am glad that I did. Zach was outstanding and deserves a standing O. Congratulations for a very nice 1 hit outing. Alexei's defense tonight was excellent.

They keep drawing me back in even though we are out of it for 2011.

JB98

They've got some problems though. Mauer is breaking down and can't stay behind the plate too much longer, if at all. Morneau's concussion problem isn't going away. Cuddyer and Kubel are in their walk years. Their bullpen is in tatters. Nathan isn't the same guy he was pre-surgery. They lost Crain, Guerrier and Rauch in free agency last offseason and haven't found adequate replacements. Nishioka was supposed to help them in the middle infield. He's been a bust in all facets. Their current crop of youngsters doesn't look quite as sharp out there as previous products of their farm system.

The Twins have got their work cut out for them this offseason.

Stating the obvious, Stewart was phenomenal tonight. His previous couple outings his velocity dropped to 88-90. Tonight in the first, Stewart was ranging from 88-90 but got stronger as the game went on. Fantastic to see. He had pinpoint command of his fastball and was tossing his curveball for strikes on both sides of the plate. That Kubel at-bat was a thing of beauty, dropping that backdoor curveball on the black on 3-2 for the backwards K.

Here's a chart of his velocity

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/speed.php-pitchSel=543819&game=gid_2011_09_05_chamlb_minmlb_2&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

Shaco
09-05-2011, 10:27 PM

My opinions.

When you look at the Yankees and Red Sox rotations, both are not deep. After Sabathia, who does New York have? Beckett is injured now and Boston has had to rely on the likes of such greats as Andrew Miller and John Lackey.

The Tigers started the season 12-17 but are 67-45 since. They are now 0.5 games behind Texas and own the tie breaker so they could very likely have home field advantage in the first round. When you consider they have home field advantage, Verlander pitching twice in a 5 game series, Fister who is pitching great, and a good offense, I'm thinking the Yankees and Red Sox would rather face Texas than Detroit. I seem to recall back in 2006 everyone said the Yankees were going to bounce the Tigers with ease.

fram40
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Tigers will get swept or win a game.

Verlander wins game one - Tigers have a good chance to win the divisional series assuming the Sox don't win 25 in a row to finish the season and steal the divisional title away!

Two nice games today. I listened to the early game while cutting the grass and watched a good chunk of the night cap. This team is so damn disppointing

tstrike2000
09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah, not to diminish Stewart's accomplishment, but that Twins lineup was Mauer, Valencia and a bunch of dudes from Rochester.

Of course, the Sox got beat by a bunch of dudes from Rochester in May. Stewart dominated that crap lineup like a good pitcher should.

True, I don't want to take away from what Stewart did either. It was a great performance with an all-around good defensive effort behind him, not matter who they were playing.

fram40
09-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Danks because we'll never sign him.
But we don't have 7. We have 6 and minus MB, we have 5.

Sale?

09-05-2011, 10:34 PM

That line of reasoning didn't work out for Alex Rios and Adam Dunn, apparently.

They have the second worst team ERA and the second worst team OPS in the AL. That's quite a feat of sucking.

It's too early to say of course, but if the Mauer/Morneau duo has already peaked, the Twins are ****ed. Too much money for a non-big market team to sink into declining assets. With the injury problems for their star players, no stud prospects in the wings, and an uncertain future, a 1995-2000 stretch could be upcoming for the Twins.

TDog
09-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Verlander wins game one - Tigers have a good chance to win the divisional series assuming the Sox don't win 25 in a row to finish the season and steal the divisional title away!

Two nice games today. I listened to the early game while cutting the grass and watched a good chunk of the night cap. This team is so damn disppointing

I think the Tigers will have at least as much trouble scoring runs as their opponent in the first game of the ALDS. But after the Tigers blew the Sox away this weekend, even considering that the Tigers' offense in last game was a bit inflated with September callups getting knocked around and staying out there to take it, Humber and Stewart looked especially great in Minneapolis today.

Conditions were optimum today certainly. The Twins were playing a day game after finishing a series in Anaheim, and then they were playing the second game of a doubleheader. Still, Stewart pitched better for longer than he ever has at the major league level, probably at the professional level. He has generally looked good one time through the lineup before the hitters caught up with him. Maybe it was a matter of getting hitters early in the count and not showing them everything he had. The hit he gave up wasn't even a mistake. He simply pitched a great game, showing tremendous poise. And the hit was the only Twins baserunner.

I was happy to see Morel drive in the final four runs. Having a four-run lead, I knew Stewart would have a better chance of absorbing a hit without falling apart.

I think one-hit shutouts may be less common than no-hitters anymore, the way managers use their bullpens. Not that they are more impressive than no-hitters, but if pitchers lose their no-hitters late, they often lose focus and managers take them out. I was happy to see Guillen send Stewart out for the ninth and give him a chance to show he could finish the game.

And, of course, it's always nice to beat the Twins. Especially twice in a day. And it's nice not to see the Sox bring out the best in the Twins.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2011, 11:01 PM
12 more wins for a winning season.

Nice work today. A win is a win and two wins in a single day doesn't happen much anymore.

Lip

central44
09-05-2011, 11:30 PM
When you look at the Yankees and Red Sox rotations, both are not deep. After Sabathia, who does New York have? Beckett is injured now and Boston has had to rely on the likes of such greats as Andrew Miller and John Lackey.

The Tigers started the season 12-17 but are 67-45 since. They are now 0.5 games behind Texas and own the tie breaker so they could very likely have home field advantage in the first round. When you consider they have home field advantage, Verlander pitching twice in a 5 game series, Fister who is pitching great, and a good offense, I'm thinking the Yankees and Red Sox would rather face Texas than Detroit. I seem to recall back in 2006 everyone said the Yankees were going to bounce the Tigers with ease.

I agree. I don't think the Tigers are a great team--but I do think that any team that has Verlander is built to win in October.

I also think Boston and NY are overrated. That might be wishful thinking on my part, but i've come to expect the hype around those teams to usually be overblown what with ESPN and all. They're both probably better than Detroit but probably not the unbeatable monsters they're portrayed as. I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit in the World Series.

DrCrawdad
09-05-2011, 11:40 PM
There is a new occupant in the American League Central basement the Minnesota Twins. But at least the Twins are sucking in a fundamentally sound way.

Of course I'd rather have the Sox knocking the Twins into last place while the Sox were in first, but it is still enjoyable seeing the Sox kick the Twins into the AL Central basement.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
It's still a long shot for Detroit but mathematically they have a chance. IF Verlander wins both of his starts in a best of five (and if anybody could beat him it would be either the Yankees or Red Sox and their slew of professional hitters) than you only need to win one game.

That doesn't give an opponent much room for error...an off night, a bad play, a blown call, a mistake physically or mentally and you could be out of the post season.

But Verlander still has to win both his games.

Lip

doublem23
09-05-2011, 11:52 PM

Lip

That's really far from any sort of certainty, these best-of-5 series are always really wide open and usually don't make any sense.

FWIW, the Tigers are 4-3 against the Yankees this year. They are 0-2 in games started by Justin Verlander and 2-0 in games when they faced CC Sabathia.

Baseball ultimately will make a lot of sense in the long-run... After 162 games you generally get an idea of who is good and who is not, but when you try and break things down in the short-term, in 9-inning slices, a lot of that goes out the window.

DSpivack
09-06-2011, 12:25 AM
It's still a long shot for Detroit but mathematically they have a chance. IF Verlander wins both of his starts in a best of five (and if anybody could beat him it would be either the Yankees or Red Sox and their slew of professional hitters) than you only need to win one game.

That doesn't give an opponent much room for error...an off night, a bad play, a blown call, a mistake physically or mentally and you could be out of the post season.

Lip

I'm not impressed with the pitching staff of any of the 4 AL playoff teams (assuming the Rangers hold off the Angels). Somewhat of a down year in the AL.

thomas35forever
09-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Stewart should be back for '12. It would be nice to see a couple more outings similar to tonight in '11 before making any decisions though.

hawkjt
09-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I have liked Zach's mound presence since he was acquired. His stuff is just a bit above average,on a good nite, but I like his command,and swagger on the mound. Now, I know he has been lit up a couple of times,but I still think he has promise,because he throws strikes.
He seems to have the Twins number,or maybe they are just that bad,as he has two wins vs the Twins. But hey, I like a Twins-killer on the Sox staff.

Great glovework by Morel and Alexei..and some nice hitting by both guys also. Juan got a clutch two out rbi single also...too rare on this team. Alex Rios had three hits tonite...maybe he can get his swing figured out before the offseason?

Good days work by the Sox. Now go out and win a couple more,then come home and beat the Tribe and Tigers to a pulp.

soxfan1965
09-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Great job Zach! Congratutulations on the shutout and complete game and near miss of the perfection. The team really needed this double header after such a tough weekend, and will help jumpstart the rest of the month to finish strong. Hope Zach can put in a string of quality starts and the rest of the young guys can keep lifting up the rest of the team. Great job by Humber too in the first game.

soxfanatlanta
09-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Good lord, do the Twins suck.

Chez
09-06-2011, 07:52 AM
I started texting a perfect game alert to my friends after the 7th. Was shocked at how many were already watching! 23 games to go. Got to play them; might as well win as many as we can.

Shaco
09-06-2011, 10:26 AM
That's really far from any sort of certainty, these best-of-5 series are always really wide open and usually don't make any sense.

FWIW, the Tigers are 4-3 against the Yankees this year. They are 0-2 in games started by Justin Verlander and 2-0 in games when they faced CC Sabathia.

Baseball ultimately will make a lot of sense in the long-run... After 162 games you generally get an idea of who is good and who is not, but when you try and break things down in the short-term, in 9-inning slices, a lot of that goes out the window.

Verlander last pitched against the Yankees on May 2nd. Both games he only gave up 3 ER and both games were lost by the bullpen. He's a different pitcher than he was in May.

What doesn't get talked about is the addition of Fister. He's really been great this year and if he were traded to Boston or New York, we'd hear all about him. Boston has Lester and the Yankees have Sabathia, but who do they have after that? Before the Tigers beat up on the White Sox, they were still top 5 in the AL in runs, BA, OBP, Slugging, Walks, and OPS. This is a good offense. If the Tigers started 17-12 instead of 12-17, they would have 84 wins and be competing with the Yankees for the best record in baseball. Since that 12-17 start, they've been playing .600 ball over 112 games.

Bucky F. Dent
09-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Obviously a tremendous performance by Stewart. Worthy of note too is the fact that Flowers was the one that caught the game. A good indication of his skills rounding into shape.

doublem23
09-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Verlander last pitched against the Yankees on May 2nd. Both games he only gave up 3 ER and both games were lost by the bullpen. He's a different pitcher than he was in May.

No guys don't fundamentally change in the middle of a season. He's the exact same guy he was in May, in 2010, in the minors, etc. Maybe he's a little sharper now, a little more locked in, getting better results. Remember, the difference between a high pop fly and a home run is what? a millimeter?

At any rate, the point was that the Tigers don't "need" Verlander to pitch his ass off for them to succeed. They're probably a better team than some of us, myself included, give them credit for. They've lost both games he's started against the Yankees and they still would have won a 7-game series against them.

This is a strange sport we follow.

hawkjt
09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
No guys don't fundamentally change in the middle of a season. He's the exact same guy he was in May, in 2010, in the minors, etc. Maybe he's a little sharper now, a little more locked in, getting better results. Remember, the difference between a high pop fly and a home run is what? a millimeter?

At any rate, the point was that the Tigers don't "need" Verlander to pitch his ass off for them to succeed. They're probably a better team than some of us, myself included, give them credit for. They've lost both games he's started against the Yankees and they still would have won a 7-game series against them.

This is a strange sport we follow.

I agree. The Tigers are 14-4 in their last 18 games. Their offense is very good right now,and has been since early June. Verlander started the season just ok,then was amazingly good in the middle of the year,and then the last 8 starts he has come back to earth a bit with an ERA of 3.40 ,which is good,but not amazing.
Honestly, I did not think Verlander was very sharp vs the Sox on Friday,and if the Yanks had been facing him,with that lack of control, he could have been beaten.

SI1020
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
This is a strange sport we follow. Very true. I would add unpredictable and at times cruel. It will always be my favorite.

#1swisher
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Stewart was first Sox rookie to pitch shutout since Wilson Alvarez
hurled no-hitter on Aug. 11, 1991 at Baltimore.