PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That ****ing Sucks, 9/3/11 Postgame Thread

chisoxjtrain
09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Thread title kind of says it all.

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice pitch calling AJ. Have Sergio throw one more breaking ball in the clubhouse just for fun.

mccoydp
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Holy ****-ola.

ChiSoxGal85
I give up. And so did the Sox.

DonnieDarko
Season's over. 2012, here we come!

Aesero
Well that should just about wrap things up.

Try again next season guys! Let's work on winning early this time.

DirtySox
That will about do it. Happened in the most fan murdering way possible too.

fram40
wow. should we hope for a sweep tomorrow?

I had an inkling this would happen. Mitch Williams wouldn;t shut up about how ****ing dominant Sergio has become. Ha Ha Sergio showed him

jshanahanjr
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Close the book on 2011!

keloms
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Welp, looks like making the post season sth payment before the 6th can be wiped off the todo list now.

roylestillman
Is this April again?

Reminder: Playoff tickets payments are due September 6th.

October26
Thread title kind of says it all.

Sure does. This one stings; not much more to say. Sergio fell apart is the 9th and that was the ballgame. :(: I wish I didn't care so much.

Soxman219
09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, it's over.

ChiSoxGal85

I had an inkling this would happen. Mitch Williams wouldn;t shut up about how ****ing dominant Sergio has become. Ha Ha Sergio showed him
I couldn't even watch the bottom of the 9th, because I have little confidence in this team. The way things have been going, that's just how the Sox roll. :whiner: Ouch. It hurts.

chisoxjtrain
Sure does. This one stings; not much more to say. Sergio fell apart is the 9th and that was the ballgame. :(: I wish I didn't care so much.

As soon as I saw Cabrera hit it, those were the words out of my mouth.

voodoochile
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Words fail. Very frustrating to lose the game and almost definitely the final hope of the season like that. Bullpenn gives up 5 runs in final 3 to blow a 4 run lead and the team gives up a 7-run lead and lets the tigers walk off on back-to-back homers.

:whiner:

aryzner
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I hate watching a bad White Sox team lose to a mediocre Tigers team. Sigh...

Soxman219
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
If the Sox win tomorrow, I'll be so pissed. Just get swept so we can confirm this season done.

Domeshot17
Another September, Another Ozzie team falling apart. This is sickening. I know some people can watch and think its all fun and good to finish .500 and can just be happy to be able to watch baseball, but for those who view it as a competitive sport beyond entertainment, its just getting stale and old. This team, for years, pretty much since 2006, has just lacked any semblance of a killer instinct. They don't work hard in the spring, they start slow, and fall apart at the end of the season. Its like clockwork.

slavko
Got some hangers going there, didn't he? Couldn't get the ball down and keep it in the zone. That was one of the Great Crushing Losses of recent memory. So we can Stop Believing and get on with a month-long post-mortem followed by the Great Upheaval.

Betcha Kenny survives.

Nelfox02
09-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I should not be this angry. I should not have lost it watching this game....because in my opinion at least even if they had won today and tomorrow this team was not catching DET

but at least if they had won as a fan you could have been looking forward to some primetime ball, thinking okay, if we get this one tonight, hey we still have that faint pulse

and then.....wow.......just wow. Sure, fine, Miggy just with ease hit the GW shot out, but at that point I did not care, because whether we lost there, or in extras, as soon as that game was tied you just ****ing knew that the Sox were going to lose

1-2, I turned to my wife and said, well here is a good chance to try and get him out with a pitch out of the zone.....and then bam.......

awful.....just ****ing awful.........

I dont know what to say/think anymore.........I cannot believe they lost this game.......just cant.

unreal.....

congratulations DET.......just need to out last CLE and this is yours.

samurai_sox
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I literally had no reaction when Cabrera made contact. I fully expected either Young or Cabrera to end it after Raburn tied it,

its just the way things have gone this year.

I'm honestly not even angry, if this game and series is what has to happen to end the Ozzie/KW era on the south side, I gladly send Miguel Cabrera a thank you note!

SI1020
If the Sox win tomorrow, I'll be so pissed. Just get swept so we can confirm this season done. You have confirmation. What else do you need?

RhubarbStew
Hey, at least it wasn't the Twins this year!

Rocky Soprano
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Now that the season is over, extend Ozzie!

Domeshot17
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I literally had no reaction when Cabrera made contact. I fully expected either Young or Cabrera to end it after Raburn tied it,

its just the way things have gone this year.

I'm honestly not even angry, if this game and series is what has to happen to end the Ozzie/KW era on the south side, I gladly send Miguel Cabrera a thank you note!

The ironic thing is in the midst of the Kenny and Ozzie who stays who goes timing, the Sox lose the biggest must win of the year to a guy Kenny fumbled away picking up.

Patrick134
09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Got some hangers going there, didn't he? Couldn't get the ball down and keep it in the zone. That was one of the Great Crushing Losses of recent memory. So we can Stop Believing and get on with a month-long post-mortem followed by the Great Upheaval.

Betcha Kenny survives.

This wasn't crushing, watching the Sox in late April and May was crushing. Let the Tigers go lose in the ALDS.

Lip Man 1
Two months ago, I'd be upset. Now I just laugh and hope the final three weeks pass quickly.

Lip

DirtySox
Now that the season is over, extend Ozzie!

It would be hilariously awful if Ozzie got his extension tomorrow.

GoSox4
All I can do is laugh.... What a ****ing joke

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Another September, Another Ozzie team falling apart. This is sickening. I know some people can watch and think its all fun and good to finish .500 and can just be happy to be able to watch baseball, but for those who view it as a competitive sport beyond entertainment, its just getting stale and old. This team, for years, pretty much since 2006, has just lacked any semblance of a killer instinct. They don't work hard in the spring, they start slow, and fall apart at the end of the season. Its like clockwork.Exactly. I can't remember a time where a fresh start was so needed. I mean new manager and coaches. If they can keep Buehrle, with their pen and kids, this team would be a dream job to take over.

JB98
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm not even angry. This is just additional confirmation of something I've known since May. The Sox are pretenders this year.

I sympathize with the folks who were still believing coming into the weekend. It's a tough one to swallow if you still thought the Sox had a legit chance.

Boondock Saint
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
This team has never been able to put things together. When the pitching's been great, the hitting is non-existent. When the guys are driving in runs, the pitching has given it right back.

I'm just tired of trying to think of things to say about this maddening team.

PeteWard
09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Well it's over. I just wish it did not have to end on such an abject choke. Ugh.

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
The ironic thing is in the midst of the Kenny and Ozzie who stays who goes timing, the Sox lose the biggest must win of the year to a guy Kenny fumbled away picking up.If they take Dontrell Willis and his money, Kenny gets it done. Dombrowski was willing to do that, Kenny and Jerry weren't.

palehozenychicty
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not really surprised. If anything, a loss like this will speed up the necessary changes in leadership. Now Walker and KW are getting (http://tinyurl.com/44oo3ss) into it over Beckham. It's like the last brawl in a saloon where everyone is taking swings at each other.

samurai_sox
09-03-2011, 07:23 PM
The ironic thing is in the midst of the Kenny and Ozzie who stays who goes timing, the Sox lose the biggest must win of the year to a guy Kenny fumbled away picking up.

Imagine if this series is what gets Ozzie fired, how is he going to feel that his adopted son Miguel Cabrera got him unemployed LOL

Brian26
09-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Nice pitch calling AJ. Have Sergio throw one more breaking ball in the clubhouse just for fun.

:rolling:

Brian26
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I give up. And so did the Sox.

Game was over after the Rayburn homer. All Cabrera did was pull the band-aid off quickly so we didn't have to sit through extra innings waiting for the inevitable.

russ99
09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Its obvious we don't have the horses. Down to 3 healthy starters, two of which can't stomach pressure games, too many bad or inexperienced arms in the pen, and the need to field 4 rookies in the lineup says it all about our offense.

Hopefully either Jerry has the gumption to make wholesale changes or let someone else take over as chairman.

Brian26
09-03-2011, 07:25 PM

I've grown to actually like Mitch from his work on MLB. Give him props. He said Sergio had to keep the ball up ....right before Rayburn destroyed that ball at the belt.

amsteel
09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
We're #2!

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
:gascan:facepalm::hawk

"And the season is OVAH!":angry::angry::(:

Here Come The Hawks...

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
:rolling:Just one of the many things I've grown nauseatingly tired of Blow Hard Hawk saying, that AJ is a great pitch caller. He sucks at it. The pitching staff never flowed better than when that ******* was hurt. They all mentioned how well Flowers calls a game. Not to mention I'm not sure how many guys actually like AJ.

SoxSpeed22
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Sergio really didn't have his slider out there.
If I didn't mentally throw in the towel in June, I would be outraged.

Dick Allen
09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
**** this team. That is all.

samurai_sox
Talk about Deja vu,

remember that one game last year when Thome hit a monster homer in Minny to end our season?

Brian26
Just one of the many things I've grown nauseatingly tired of Blow Hard Hawk saying, that AJ is a great pitch caller. He sucks at it. The pitching staff never flowed better than when that ******* was hurt. They all mentioned how well Flowers calls a game. Not to mention I'm not sure how many guys actually like AJ.

AJ's pitch-calling has been terrible for years. The worst example was the Corey Patterson walkoff this year.

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I went to 6:30 Mass and now, I'm so glad I did. What the hell happened? I mean I heard how the ninth inning went from Rongey, but wow. Seriously, what the hell happened?

If I had any lingering hope for this season, it's gone now. No way we recover from something like this.

DickAllen72
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe Jerry and Eddie will create another Pay-Per-View channel and take all the Sox games off CSN, WGN and WCIU next year so we can break our Sox habit and start enjoying summers again.

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
One thing I forgot to add. Mitch Williams said it best: "There are back-breakers and then there are BACK-breakers." Nothing more needs to be said.

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
remember that one game last year when Thome hit a monster homer in Minny to end our season?

IIRC, in a later game in that same series, Sweaty Freddy had a 4 run lead,only to watch Bobby Jenks blow the lead in the 9th,
and Rios not only overthrew the cutoff man in that inning,he almost threw the ball OUT OF THE DAMN PARK
trying to throw out the winning run at home plate.:angry:

oldgrouch
Why did the Twins let him go and to the Tigers, a division rival
of all teams. They handed the Tigers the division on a platter.:scratch::scratch:

veeter
I went to 6:30 Mass and now, I'm so glad I did. What the hell happened? I mean I heard how the ninth inning went from Rongey, but wow. Seriously, what the hell happened?

If I had any lingering hope for this season, it's gone now. No way we recover from something like this.Well the trouble all started when Austin Jackson hit a triple on a ball down the LEFTFIELD line. Then AJ called for 40 breaking balls in a row. The Tigers caught on to his strategy and commenced to whacking! Sox lose.

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
"There are back-breakers and then there are BACK-breakers."

This ****fest wasn't a back breaker. It broke every bone in the Sox body.
No doubt now, this horse**** season is over.Even an optimist has no hope at this point.:angry:

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Maybe Jerry and Eddie will create another Pay-Per-View channel and take all the Sox games off CSN, WGN and WCIU next year so we can break our Sox habit and start enjoying summers again.Nice!

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
IIRC, in a later game in that same series, Sweaty Freddy had a 4 run lead,only to watch Bobby Jenks blow the lead in the 9th,
and Rios not only overthrew the cutoff man in that inning,he almost threw the ball OUT OF THE DAMN PARK
trying to throw out the winning run at home plate.:angry:
That's what did it for me, not the Thome homer, which I believe came later on.

Woofer
09-03-2011, 07:44 PM
This season has made me realize how much more fun I have watching my kids play ball. This has been a brutal year, and I am never glad to see the season end. This year will be different, because it's almost going to be a relief to get management to shake this team up hopefully from the top down. I feel that the constant OG/KW/GW conflicts have cracked this team.

DickAllen72
09-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Why did the Twins let him go and to the Tigers, a division rival
of all teams. They handed the Tigers the division on a platter.:scratch::scratch:
Better question is why no Sox pitcher has buried a ball in his(Delmon Young's) ribs yet.

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:45 PM
That's what did it for me, not the Thome homer, which I believe came later on.Was that the same game Delmon shoved AJ in the face with both fists on an un-close play at the plate? To which the Sox responded with.....nothing.

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Better question is why no Sox pitcher has buried a ball in his(Delmon Young's) ribs yet.
No marbles, that's why.

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Was that the same game Delmon shoved AJ in the face with both fists on an un-close play at the plate? To which the Sox responded with.....nothing.
I think that was a night game. The Jenks-collapse-ending-with-the-bad-throw-from-Rios game was during the day.

TheCQExperience
09-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, I turned the game off thinking win to enjoy the Notre Dame loss and came to check the boards to find this... immediately felt the blood vessel in my head just balloon.

veeter
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
No marbles, that's why.Yep. Remember when Ozzie would yell at pitchers (Jon Garland, Sean Tracey) for not throwing at guys? Back when he gave a ****.

Aesero
09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
No marbles, that's why.

Don't worry, the issues with Young have been filed away. The Sox will get their revenge when they hit him at some point three years from now when neither team is in contention.

Around that time they will also decide to pitch inside to Mauer. They will finally brush him off the plate for the first time letting him know he can't stand comfortably in the batter's box against the Sox anymore.

soxfan1965
09-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I had a feeling the game was in jeopary when Floyd had the apparent injury and gave up a quick 3 runs. Because a 4 run lead with 4 innings to go is not safe against the Tigers at their home. They strike quick. I give credit to the young guys--D'Aza, Viciedo, Lillibridge, Flowers--who probably made the season more interesting longer than it should have with all the problems the Sox have. Hold your heads up guys, put this one behind you and play for pride, especially Sunday.

guillensdisciple
09-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Let me say that the smartest thing I did this summer was turn off my text updates and tv with this team in the beginning of August. I had it with the constant worrying and obsessing over a team that was not going to change no matter how hard I wished to the Wizard of Oz.

That said, I am not angry at the loss rather making the same observation I made a couple of months ago except with a cooler head. Nothing has changed, this team is notorious for pitching implosions come middle of August and September both from the starters and bullpen.

You guys saw this coming. We all saw this coming. I check updates on the phone via box score and the moment the later innings came I said we were going to lose this game when the tigers got it within 3. I know the shtick with this team, and I have known it for a while. It used to make me sick now I don't give a crap. They say that you know a relationship has turned sour when you don't even bother to fight or get angry over it. WEll, I have been for a while.

Bring on 2012 Sox, I'll turn my TV and updates on to something new.... hopefully.

captain54
09-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Ranger went on and on and on in his gabfest about this being the single most crushing loss of the season...

It's really not.... The crushing losses were earlier in the year when the Sox got buried with the Thornton Closer Experiment. As far as I'm concerned, the Sox never recovered from April 11'

Also, Ranger, loses are crushing when your team is on the verge of building momentum and forging ahead to overcome adversity. The Sox season was one of inconsistency and mediocrity.

This wasn't a heartbreaker.. It was a a mere shrug.. Oh well, so go the 2011 Sox..

Lip Man 1
09-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Veeter:

Correct it was Young who tried to forearm smash A.J. in the face.

A few days after that I had a high ranking member of the front office tell me they had lost all respect for A.J. Simply couldn't believe he did nothing.

Lip

Boondock Saint
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Ranger went on and on and on in his gabfest about this being the single most crushing loss of the season...

It's really not.... The crushing losses were earlier in the year when the Sox got buried with the Thornton Closer Experiment. As far as I'm concerned, the Sox never recovered from April 11'

Also, Ranger, loses are crushing when your team is on the verge of building momentum and forging ahead to overcome adversity. The Sox season was one of inconsistency and mediocrity.

This wasn't a heartbreaker.. It was a a mere shrug.. Oh well, so go the 2011 Sox..

That stretch really sucked, but it was far from crushing. They've had plenty of time to recover, but they just haven't been good enough.

DickAllen72
09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Veeter:

Correct it you Young who tried to forearm smash A.J. in the face.

A few days after that I had a high ranking member of the front office tell me they had lost all respect for A.J. Simply couldn't believe he did nothing.

Lip
I've lost all respect for the White Sox as an organization.

captain54
09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
but they just haven't been good enough.

right... It's just not their year.. That's why this loss isn't all that big a deal to me.

Rikirk
09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I can find my aggravations elsewhere.

What a pathetic.......loss.

Wake me up when september ends,....perfect song to go with this season.

cards press box
09-03-2011, 09:21 PM
This is just additional confirmation of something I've known since May. The Sox are pretenders this year.

And that is precisely the problem. In the film A League of Their Own, the scout Ernie Capadino (Jon Lovitz) sees star catcher Dottie (Geena Davis) drive in the game winning run in the bottom of the ninth and says "she's the goods." That, in a nutshell, is the Sox problem this year -- they are not the goods.

The 88-46 Phillies with their great starting rotation and excellent position players? They're the goods. The 68-68 White Sox with their squabbling management, inconsistent play, terrible home record and career worst seasons from Adam Dunn and Alex Rios? They are not.

The best thing that the Sox can do now is play the young guys up from the minors as much as possible the rest of the way. I'd shut Peavy down for the rest of 2011 and start planning for next year.

This terrible loss today essentially ended this terrible season.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/e6/5e/e65edca4d0f6e6d70edd6a83862f3874.jpg

Jollyroger2
09-03-2011, 09:29 PM

Agree completely. Unlike many here, I haven't gotten excited each time the team wins a few, or puts together a modest win streak against the crappy Twins and Mariners of the world. This team has underachieved all season, why should the final month be any different?

I've said before, this team has become the definition of underachivement, mediocrity, and failure. They were never a playoff team and if by some miracle the division was lousy enough to have them sneak in, they'd be roadkill by some other team that actually cares.

One title in basically a century is apparently fine with the ownership and management. They have failed to produce good players and instead go after players that are damaged goods or past their prime. The farm system is laughable. That attitude has carried over to the players as well. Today's latest collapse is really just a microcosm of the last few seasons.

kittle42
09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Its obvious we don't have the horses. Down to 3 healthy starters, two of which can't stomach pressure games, too many bad or inexperienced arms in the pen, and the need to field 4 rookies in the lineup says it all about our offense.

Hopefully either Jerry has the gumption to make wholesale changes or let someone else take over as chairman.

Ozzie Guillen is a below-average manager of baseball teams. The change of replacing him among other wholesale changes will be welcome.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
The "circus" leaves town in three weeks and the bullpen has been very, very good for a few months now. I don't see the bad or inexperienced arms you are talking about Russ...unless maybe it's because of the way Ozzie uses them from time to time.

Lip

fram40
09-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Nothing has changed, this team is notorious for pitching implosions come middle of August and September both from the starters and bullpen.

is it time for a new pitching coach?

JB98
09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
The "circus" leaves town in three weeks and the bullpen has been very, very good for a few months now. I don't see the bad or inexperienced arms you are talking about Russ...unless maybe it's because of the way Ozzie uses them from time to time.

Lip

Yeah, the very respectable 3.82 team ERA suggests the Sox have neither bad nor inexperienced arms. In fact, this Sox team has a fine pitching staff.

Pitching lost today's game, but that is the exception not the rule.

It's the position players who stink as a group.

rcescato
09-03-2011, 10:21 PM

time to pack the bags!! Maybe it will the last time we deal with ozzie and kenny

Vernam
09-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Pitching lost today's game, but that is the exception not the rule. It's the position players who stink as a group.Yep, if we'd had this kind of pitching in a couple of the past six years, we'd have made more playoff appearances. The staff was certainly good enough to win this ****ty division in 2011.

I felt bad for Santos, who's been solid and at time spectacular. But he seems tough mentally and should bounce back nicely.

Next spring, that is.

Vernam

Viva Medias B's
09-03-2011, 11:16 PM
KW helped make October 26, 2005, the greatest day of our White Sox lives. But now he is as useful as Matt Millen was with the Lions.

OG helped make October 26, 2005, the greatest day of our White Sox lives. But now he is as useful as Rick Venturi was with Northwestern.

russ99
09-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah, the very respectable 3.82 team ERA suggests the Sox have neither bad nor inexperienced arms. In fact, this Sox team has a fine pitching staff.

Pitching lost today's game, but that is the exception not the rule.

It's the position players who stink as a group.

I was referring to the pen, not the starters with that comment. Our starters are running down too, with only 3 healthy ones.

Crane and Thornton are experienced out of the pen. Crane's been great in his role, Thornton iffy.

Otherwise we have Sale and Santos - who never pitched in such pressure situations before, and the bad: Kinney, Frasor, Ohman and Pena.

We've played around and under .500 ball all year with few if any games containing of the pressure involved in the playoffs until now, and our pitching folded under it, especially our two supposedly future keystone starters and our young pen arms. That to me says all the good numbers are nice, but our pitching as constructed won't win us a playoff series even if the bats were doing as expected.

russ99
09-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Yep, if we'd had this kind of pitching in a couple of the past six years, we'd have made more playoff appearances. The staff was certainly good enough to win this ****ty division in 2011.

I felt bad for Santos, who's been solid and at time spectacular. But he seems tough mentally and should bounce back nicely.

Next spring, that is.

Vernam

Sure, he's had a nice year, but you can tell a lot about a pitcher, especially a closer, on how he handles must-win pennant race pressure.

I know today is one game. but would you feel comfortable with a 1 run lead in the playoffs vs. the Yankees with Santos closing? Maybe in a few years, but not now.

Vernam
09-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Sure, he's had a nice year, but you can tell a lot about a pitcher, especially a closer, on how he handles must-win pennant race pressure.

I know today is one game. but would you feel comfortable with a 1 run lead in the playoffs vs. the Yankees with Santos closing? Maybe in a few years, but not now.That's an odd rejoinder, but at any rate, we probably won't find out anytime soon. And until we saw the 2005 Bobby Jenks in such a situation, I don't think many of us would've trusted him, either. :shrug:

I do disagree with your implication that today's game constituted pennant race pressure, must-win or not. Santos threw a couple of spinners and paid the price. AJ could've called a different pitch or set up more outside. So it goes... At this point I don't really give a **** who cost us the game.

Vernam

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I mainly followed this one via ESPN mobile updates, due to an appointment at the nail salon, Mass and going out to dinner. When I got the update that the score was 8-6 (it was in a rain delay and the Sox were up 8-5 when I got out of my car at the restaurant), I started to figure something like this would happen. A few minutes later, I got the 8-8 update and saw who'd hit a homerun. Raburn always kills us. No sooner did I dismiss that update did the one about Cabrera's walkoff shot come through. My mouth dropped open at the dinner table and I thought to myself, "I can't believe it." Then I said, "Wait, yes I can. This is what this team does." And with that, this season is ovah.

BainesHOF
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Pierzynski has given us so many great memories, but it's time to move him. His pitch calling has become as bad as his arm. Let Flowers take over behind the plate without Pierzynski's presence on the team.

JB98
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
I was referring to the pen, not the starters with that comment. Our starters are running down too, with only 3 healthy ones.

Crane and Thornton are experienced out of the pen. Crane's been great in his role, Thornton iffy.

Otherwise we have Sale and Santos - who never pitched in such pressure situations before, and the bad: Kinney, Frasor, Ohman and Pena.

We've played around and under .500 ball all year with few if any games containing of the pressure involved in the playoffs until now, and our pitching folded under it, especially our two supposedly future keystone starters and our young pen arms. That to me says all the good numbers are nice, but our pitching as constructed won't win us a playoff series even if the bats were doing as expected.

Pure speculation on your part. You're speculating that "pressure" caused guys to have bad outings. It could have just been a bad day.

And, yes, I feel perfectly comfortable with Santos on the mound in any situation, even in a one-run game against the Yankees. He's a good reliever. Just didn't have his slider today and he paid.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2011, 12:36 AM
If the Sox win tomorrow, I'll be so pissed. Just get swept so we can confirm this season done.Really? You'll be pissed if the Sox win? There is never a game that I'm happy to see the Sox lose. Even after they've been mathematically eliminated in seasons past, I still watch the remaining games and enjoy them for their own little nine-inning event, because I know how much I'll miss it when it's gone until the following year.

Noneck
09-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Pierzynski has given us so many great memories, but it's time to move him. His pitch calling has become as bad as his arm. Let Flowers take over behind the plate without Pierzynski's presence on the team.

It will be tough finding a taker at 6M for next year.

doublem23
09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
on the plus side, should be plenty of cheap tix available on stubhub for the last few games at home this year.

StillMissOzzie
09-04-2011, 01:07 AM
What a kick in the nuts ending to the game that effectively killed any remaining hope we might have had.
Yesterday, the Sox fall behind 8 - 1. They tip their caps, phone it in, and whistle through the graveyard about how we'll get 'em tomorrow.
Today, the Tigers fall behind 8 - 1, but claw scratch, and fight their way back into the game with the cajones the 2011 Sox have not shown any of.

That is why the Tigers will be the AL Central champion this year, and the Sox make plans for 2012.

SMO
:angry::mad::whiner:

LITTLE NELL
09-04-2011, 06:26 AM
What a kick in the nuts ending to the game that effectively killed any remaining hope we might have had.
Yesterday, the Sox fall behind 8 - 1. They tip their caps, phone it in, and whistle through the graveyard about how we'll get 'em tomorrow.
Today, the Tigers fall behind 8 - 1, but claw scratch, and fight their way back into the game with the cajones the 2011 Sox have not shown any of.

That is why the Tigers will be the AL Central champion this year, and the Sox make plans for 2012.

SMO
:angry::mad::whiner:

You hit the nail on the head.

Chez
09-04-2011, 07:40 AM
After watching the first 8.5 innings and actually starting to believe [again] that we were going to get back in the race, I got picked up for dinner. "Watching" the bottom of the 9th on mlb.com on my phone took some of the sting out of it -- just not as painful when you don't actually see it happen.

Seems like all of Santos' late inning melt downs this season have come on home runs. He's got a great fastball -- not sure why he and A.J. go with the slider pitch after pitch.

Procol Harum
09-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm so thankful that some old friends came down to see us yesterday and I was blessedly oblivious to the Sox game until after they left. Now it's time for management to start cleaning its house while the rest of us can work on putting this craptacular season behind us.

WhiteSox5187
09-04-2011, 08:41 AM
After watching the first 8.5 innings and actually starting to believe [again] that we were going to get back in the race, I got picked up for dinner. "Watching" the bottom of the 9th on mlb.com on my phone took some of the sting out of it -- just not as painful when you don't actually see it happen.

Seems like all of Santos' late inning melt downs this season have come on home runs. He's got a great fastball -- not sure why he and A.J. go with the slider pitch after pitch.

Santos doesn't like throwing his fastball that much, in the Cubs series I remember watching him shake off AJ about throwing his fastball. His wipe out pitch IS his slider so I can understand why he likes to throw it, it's just that it tends to hang every now and then when it does that it goes a long way.

hawkjt
09-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Don't worry, the issues with Young have been filed away. The Sox will get their revenge when they hit him at some point three years from now when neither team is in contention.

Around that time they will also decide to pitch inside to Mauer. They will finally brush him off the plate for the first time letting him know he can't stand comfortably in the batter's box against the Sox anymore.

The Sox have been hit by pitch more than any team in the league.
The Tigers have been hit by pitch the least of any team in the league.

I am not saying that Verlander basically intimidates the opposition away from hitting Tigers,but it seems that way.
The Sox pitchers do not send messages...ever.
Young should have been hit,repeatedly,after his deal with AJ.
Young has the highest single average of any player against one team vs the Sox... .385 and we never hit him?

I said before the series, I hoped that Verlander hit one of our guys,and we charged the mound...the Sox need to show some fight...but no, they stay all comfortable,and give up a huge lead to the tigers.

This one is on the pitching. You find a way to hold a 4 run lead with 4 innings to go. Or 7 run lead with 5 innings to go.

Show me some fight tonite,Sox.

#1swisher
09-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I've lost respect, for this team.

kittle42
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
on the plus side, should be plenty of cheap tix available on stubhub for the last few games at home this year.

There were already plenty available for almost every other game this season...

StillMissOzzie
09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Really? You'll be pissed if the Sox win? There is never a game that I'm happy to see the Sox lose. Even after they've been mathematically eliminated in seasons past, I still watch the remaining games and enjoy them for their own little nine-inning event, because I know how much I'll miss it when it's gone until the following year.

Ordinarily, I'm with you Nellie. I'm even going to a few more games this year that at this point appear to be meaningless contests. But, I think this is a Rip-the-Band-Aid off quickly vs Peel-the-Band-Aid off slowly time, and I think that ripping the Band-Aid off will hurt less for the rest of the month.

This team has under-achieved and disappointed for so long in such a winnably soft division, that drawing out the inevitable just makes for more disappointment.

It will be interesting to see if they phone in tonight's game though.

SMO
:gulp:

soxfanreggie
09-04-2011, 09:31 PM

It'd be worth it to see our "future" playing together to see how they progress, but being there in person to experience the disappointment we've consistently had this year would be tough to see.