PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-2 Run over in the Motor City, DET 8 SOX 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Not good.

DickAllen72
09-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Not good.
Agreed.

kevingrt
09-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Very, very ugly.

Domeshot17
Maybe this team needs to focus on baseball and not the soap opera between our manager and GM. We just looked completely unprepared to play. Almost like we expected to just get rolled.

Soxman219
Win tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
The Sox have used up their quota of losses in their remaining games to the Tigers.

soxfan1965
This was against the best pitcher in the league, the best Sox pitcher had a bad night, and the Sox put up the best lineup they could. No regrets. Put this one behind and go get em the next few games. The kids should stay (maybe Lilly at second)!!

Aesero
09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
That's a shame.

DickAllen72
09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Maybe this team needs to focus on baseball and not the soap opera between our manager and GM. We just looked completely unprepared to play. Almost like we expected to just get rolled.
You mean the soap opera between, Ozzie, Cowley, Oney and the media. KW has been silent in all this.

DirtySox
09-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Tomorrow will be interesting. Penny is awful, but is 3 - 0 with a 2.89 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP against the Sox this year.

Domeshot17
09-02-2011, 08:57 PM
You mean the soap opera between, Ozzie, Cowley, Oney and the media. KW has been silent in all this.

I do agree with you, but I have to believe Kenny is fueling the fire some behind the scenes.

russ99
09-02-2011, 09:04 PM

1) What you're referring to is Cowley's self-serving BS. Read Ozzie's quotes for how the man thinks and not assume that Cowley isn't stirring the dirt for his own glorification, as we've seen many many times before.

2) De Aza missed a tough catch in Comerica, and Danks let it get to him. This loss isn't about Ozzie, this is about the team getting down 3 runs early vs. Verlander and our starter choking.

The Sox need to think hard about giving Danks the extension he may be due, as this is the second year in a row he failed mentally in a pressure head-to-head game vs. the first place team. You don't give a guy ace money if he can't step up for the big games...

TDog
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
The Sox needed a good effort out of Danks tonight. Danks didn't provide that, but the key to the loss was De Aza misplaying a fly ball that stayed in the park in the first. That set up a three-run inning. If De Aza makes the catch, Danks might get out of it. Of course, Danks couldn't do anything against the Tigers the third time through the order, so maybe it doesn't matter. But, especially considering how deep Rios plays (it's one of the problems I have with Rios), I wonder if Rios would have caught that. And I wonder if the Sox would have had a chance tonight with Rios in the lineup the way things played out.

Of course, Verlander was tough. And the lead allowed him to coast a little bit before the Sox got to him a little bit in the eighth. But the game came down to the sloppy first inning. If De Aza makes the play in center, Danks has a chance to get out of it. If the game is close in the fifth, the bleeding might have been addressed properly before it got to five runs. There isn't much margin for error in most games against Verlander.

I would have liked to have seen the Sox put more pressure on the Tigers tonight. That is something the Sox didn't do tonight.

Domeshot17
09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
1) What you're referring to is Cowley's self-serving BS. Read Ozzie's quotes for how the man thinks and not assume that Cowley isn't stirring the dirt for his own glorification, as we've seen many many times before.

2) De Aza missed a tough catch in Comerica, and Danks let it get to him. This loss isn't about Ozzie, this is about the team getting down 3 runs early vs. Verlander and our starter choking.

The Sox need to think hard about giving Danks the extension he may be due, as this is the second year in a row he failed mentally in a pressure head-to-head game vs. the first place team. You don't give a guy ace money if he can't step up for the big games...

So you wouldn't extend Danks.....but you want to give Ozzie the life time pass?:scratch::scratch::scratch:

I must ask again, are you really Oney Guillen?

Every year Ozzie fails to get his team up for the big series, and we watch them fall apart to our rivals. This is nothing new from an Ozzie Guillen managed team.

Chez
09-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I wasn't expecting Danks to pitch like that. Sure De Aza could have made that play in the first, but sometimes you have to pitch over your teammates' mistakes and Johnny couldn't do it tonight. Win tomorrow and I'll take my chances with Buehrle on Sunday.

Vernam
09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
There would be a very simple remedy for Ozzie if he is being characterized falsely by Cowley -- yet he has never refuted a word of it, nor has he denied the common belief that Cowley is his mouthpiece. Quite a curious omission, since he spouts off about every other topic pertaining to him and his family.

Vernam

Crestani
09-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Verlander...Now that is a #1 pitcher....!!!!

kittle42
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha!

TDog
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I wasn't expecting Danks to pitch like that. Sure De Aza could have made that play in the first, but sometimes you have to pitch over your teammates' mistakes and Johnny couldn't do it tonight. Win tomorrow and I'll take my chances with Buehrle on Sunday.

It's not just a matter of pitching over a mistake. The mistake brings in a run that shouldn't have scored and puts a runner at third with one out instead of a runner on second or third with two outs in a scoreless game.

Boondock Saint
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM

I agreed with everything you said until this point. You don't give up on a damn good pitcher because of a couple bad games. How incredible was he in the blackout game?

TheOldRoman
09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
So you wouldn't extend Danks.....but you want to give Ozzie the life time pass?:scratch::scratch::scratch:

I must ask again, are you really Oney Guillen?

Every year Ozzie fails to get his team up for the big series, and we watch them fall apart to our rivals. This is nothing new from an Ozzie Guillen managed team.I like Danks, but he made it clear from the beginning that he was going to hit the free agent market. There is no way the Sox can resign him at this point without doing something crazy. He has rejected the Sox' extension offers at least twice. The fact that he passed up the contract the Sox offered Floyd (which bought out his arbitration years) and decided to take it year by year to get more money says a lot. He certainly has the right to do so, and he will test the market. Danks and his people see him as one of the top young lefties in baseball, and they are going to be looking to get him over $100 million. The problem is, after a great 2008 he hasn't progressed. He has essentially given the Sox the same performance the past three years. While that has been good, it hasn't been great, and he hasn't become an ace. He will probably get his $100 million somewhere based on potential, but it's best that is somewhere else. It is frustrating because Danks hasn't taken that next step like he should have. Nights like tonight, in games this big shouldn't happen.

TheOldRoman
09-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I agreed with everything you said until this point. You don't give up on a damn good pitcher because of a couple bad games. How incredible was he in the blackout game?Very, and in that game he showed that he has the potential to be one of the top lefties in baseball. The only problem is, he hasn't taken the next step since then. He is looking for an "ace" contract, and you don't give those you for merely "pretty good" performances.

SoxSpeed22
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
When you don't have it, you don't have it. This was one of those days everything went against us out of the gates. Flowers' swing looks a lot better, but this was Dayan's first bad game.
Besides, when Danks goes back to the Rangers, he might be able to learn something about his changeup or something else. That cutter sometimes gets him in trouble.

SI1020
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Very, and in that game he showed that he has the potential to be one of the top lefties in baseball. The only problem is, he hasn't taken the next step since then. He is looking for an "ace" contract, and you don't give those you for merely "pretty good" performances. I agree completely with this and your previous post on Danks. He hasn't progressed like we'd hoped and I really like the guy.

ZombieRob
09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Can we move on from excusing Danks just because he won the Black Out game? He wants big money, but be a big game pitcher. He showed nothing tonight.

DrCrawdad
09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I didn't see the game. How did the rookie, Lindsay, look in his first appearance?

DirtySox
09-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I didn't see the game. How did the rookie, Lindsay, look in his first appearance?

He looked like his triple AAA season line in a single inning. Big arm, but no idea where the ball is going. Effectively wild. Expect plenty of strikeouts and plenty of walks.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2011, 11:06 PM
And with that it's time to say "goodnight Gracie..."

Lip

amsteel
09-02-2011, 11:38 PM
The Sox failed to show up in a huge game?

No way.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2011, 11:50 PM
And with that it's time to say "goodnight Gracie..."

LipAfter every single loss for the last month, someone has declared that the season was, as of that loss, over.

voodoochile
09-02-2011, 11:51 PM
And with that it's time to say "goonight Gracie..."

Lip

Not quite but it's close. They need to win the next two which still leaves them with the chance to tie simply by sweeping the Kittens the other series and winning the three extra games the Sox still have left and then playing the kittens even the rest of the games. They'd still hold their destiny in their own hands as it were. But even I am not expecting that to happen. It's been a long shot for a while now and it's getting longer. More so with the Kittens peaking and obviously fired up to play the Sox.

Difference in today's game was obvious with the Kittens running down every hard hit ball while hitting the ball hard early and often themselves. They were scrambling, focused and ready to take the division. The Sox were out played on numerous levels.

VMSNS
09-03-2011, 12:01 AM

He had it up to 98mph, but he was all over the place. Very wild, no control. I'm surprised he was able to minimize the damage to only one walk, honestly.

Boondock Saint
09-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Can we move on from excusing Danks just because he won the Black Out game? He wants big money, but be a big game pitcher. He showed nothing tonight.

Nobody's excusing anything. He said that Danks isn't a big game pitcher because of an incredibly small smattering of games. I countered with the game where he won us the division title with his performance.

hawkjt
09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Not quite but it's close. They need to win the next two which still leaves them with the chance to tie simply by sweeping the Kittens the other series and winning the three extra games the Sox still have left and then playing the kittens even the rest of the games. They'd still hold their destiny in their own hands as it were. But even I am not expecting that to happen. It's been a long shot for a while now and it's getting longer. More so with the Kittens peaking and obviously fired up to play the Sox.

Difference in today's game was obvious with the Kittens running down every hard hit ball while hitting the ball hard early and often themselves. They were scrambling, focused and ready to take the division. The Sox were out played on numerous levels.

I agree that the Tigers looked very wired in tonite. Sox looked sloppy.
DeAza plays a very shallow center,compared to Rios,and it hurt him in the 1st,which was really just about the ballgame. If he catches that, Tigers do not score. Danks was snakebit in that inning but cost himself a run by ignoring the ponderous Miggy at first. That was a big run.

Danks settled in til the 5th,but in that inning they hit him pretty hard.
Now, I do feel like Ozzie made a concession move by bringing in Kinney with the bases loaded. If he brings in Crain for just one batter,gets out of the inning at 5-0, then the game is not completely over. Sox would have had the tying run with the bases loaded in the 8th with PK and AJ at the plate. Never know. I thought Ozzie just bailed on the game..

Sox need to beat Penny and Scherzer the next two nites,obviously. Come out 3 back in the loss column and they have a pulse. The pressure mounts tho,with every loss. The tribe has all three of their best pitchers lined up for the tigers next week.

Verlander looked gettable tonite,imo. Control was not sharp. Sox hit some balls well,but Tigers made some great defensive plays.

thomas35forever
09-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Glad I missed just about all of this one. Can't wait to get embarrassed on national TV the next two days.

kittle42
09-03-2011, 12:36 AM
After every single loss for the last month, someone has declared that the season was, as of that loss, over.

Which was silly, because they were not a good enough team before last month, either.

PeteWard
09-03-2011, 12:44 AM
After every single loss for the last month, someone has declared that the season was, as of that loss, over.

I know what you mean but I do believe that if they lose tomorrow we can all but throw it in. A sweep would definitely end it.

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Old south side proverb:

Pitcher who gives up 3 to the tiggers with Verlander on the hill should put head between knees and kiss his ass goodbye.:(:

At least with this team's zombie offense they should.

PaleHoser
09-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Can't wait to get embarrassed on national TV the next two days.

On the upside, we won't have to put up with "STRETCH!" every time the Sox hit a fly ball two strides short of the warning track.

Johnny Mostil
09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Which was silly, because they were not a good enough team before last month, either.

Something I hadn't realized until now: in every month so far, the record for the Tigers has been as good as or better than that for the Sox. (The only month they were even was July, both at .500 for the month.)

hawkjt
09-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Something I hadn't realized until now: in every month so far, the record for the Tigers has been as good as or better than that for the Sox. (The only month they were even was July, both at .500 for the month.)

And yet,if the Sox win the next three days, they could be only 2 games back in the loss column,so it is not like the Tigers are blowing anyone away.