PDA

View Full Version : Does Baseball need a pitch clock?

Fenway
09-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Last night it took the Red Sox and Yankees FOUR HOURS and 21 minutes to play 9 innings. :angry:

71 fouled off pitches didn't help but this has to be addressed.

2 Boston writers wonder if MLB needs a pitch clock..
http://www.boston.com/sports/video/globe10/?bctid=1140780739001

Charlie Finley tried it in 1965 and baseball was not amused.
http://articles.sfgate.com/1996-02-20/sports/17769002_1_finley-method-toronto-s-peter-bavasi-charlie-finley

chisoxjtrain
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Are you sure the Yankees and Red Sox just need a pitch clock? It seems every time game times are called into question it is because of the Yankees-Red Sox series.

Article from last season:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/baseball/06gametime.html

It isn't only the pitchers. The batters who after every pitch step out of the box to adjust their batting gloves, helmets, crotch, etc. The idea of a pitch clock is dumb.

hawkjt
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Last night it took the Red Sox and Yankees FOUR HOURS and 21 minutes to play 9 innings. :angry:

http://articles.sfgate.com/1996-02-20/sports/17769002_1_finley-method-toronto-s-peter-bavasi-charlie-finley

I kept flipping between the Bears,Wisconsin and Red Sox-Yanks.
The pace of the baseball game was like a ''heavily sedated snail,dipped in honey,crawling up a glacier,on a Sunday afternoon ,with no particular place to be''.

I was convinced that the order of finish would be ...baseball game,which started an hour before the other two, then Bear game,then wisky game.

Reverse it.
Red Sox-Yanks are a perfect storm of hitting patience,foul ball machines,and slow pitchers. Is there some kind of direct casuation with payrolls? Do higher paid,better players,play slower?

kittle42
09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I think the real solution to this problem is never to allow the Yankees or Red Sox franchises to play a game again.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Bill Veeck had installed a "pitch-o-meter" in the original exploding scoreboard back in the early 60's. The rules I think at that time, stated a pitch had to be thrown within 30 seconds and he'd start the clock on certain slow pitchers as soon as they got the ball back from the catcher.

Again if memory serves, MLB ordered him to stop doing that. Veeck claimed he was just letting the fans know who was and was not following the rules that baseball itself established.

Lip

Fenway
09-02-2011, 01:37 PM
The cynics in the Boston-NY media feel MLB will not address it because Joe West made a big stink about it last year.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/baseball/90192892__It_s_a_disgrace_to_baseball_.html?c=y&page=1

I kept flipping between the Bears,Wisconsin and Red Sox-Yanks.
The pace of the baseball game was like a ''heavily sedated snail,dipped in honey,crawling up a glacier,on a Sunday afternoon ,with no particular place to be''.

I was convinced that the order of finish would be ...baseball game,which started an hour before the other two, then Bear game,then wisky game.

Reverse it.
Red Sox-Yanks are a perfect storm of hitting patience,foul ball machines,and slow pitchers. Is there some kind of direct casuation with payrolls? Do higher paid,better players,play slower?

Boondock Saint
09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I think the real solution to this problem is never to allow the Yankees or Red Sox franchises to play a game again.

I endorse this idea.

Fenway
09-02-2011, 02:00 PM

A Congressman from Ohio once filed a bill to make the playing of Major League Baseball east of the Hudson River a Federal offense. :tongue:

jdm2662
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
There is a reason why I refuse to attend another game involving the Red Sox and Yankees. They are boring to watch.

TommyJohn
09-02-2011, 03:04 PM
There is a reason why I refuse to attend another game involving the Red Sox and Yankees. They are boring to watch.

Blasphemer! Don't you know that these two teams have given us some of the greatest moments that we Americans are likely to have in our lifetime? Haven't you learned anything from watching Ken Burns? Where were you on October 2, 1978-The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Lip Man 1
09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
TJ:

Well played sir.

Lip

DumpJerry
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/joemauer1.jpg
I'm sorry, are you addressing me?

Boondock Saint
09-02-2011, 03:33 PM

I don't think they allow corner outfielders/designated hitters to make mound visits every other pitch.

DumpJerry
09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't think they allow corner outfielders/designated hitters to make mound visits every other pitch.
I'm sure he's tempted to challenge that. Maybe he texts to the catcher during the inning with instructions.....

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Just enforce the rules that already exist. Pitchers should stop doing walkabouts between pitches, batters keep a foot in the batter's box instead of stepping out, taking three practice swings, then completely readjusting all of their equipment, then stepping back in while holding up their hand for time.

LITTLE NELL
09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Just enforce the rules that already exist. Pitchers should stop doing walkabouts between pitches, batters keep a foot in the batter's box instead of stepping out, taking three practice swings, then completely readjusting all of their equipment, then stepping back in while holding up their hand for time.

That's the answer, but the umpires aren't doing their part in the equation.

Daver
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Baseball most certainly does not need a clock of any sort.

Zakath
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM

The answer for him is an electronic tether, set to go off if he moves more than 20 feet from home plate.

DumpJerry
09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
:walnuts
Who does that?

Agreed. Timelessness is the soul of baseball.

TDog
09-02-2011, 06:45 PM

No it doesn't. It probably doesn't need speed guns or people counting pitches either.

There never has been any sort of time requirement for pitchers to pitch when men were on base. That is when pitchers slow down the game. Putting a time limit between pitches when men are on base would give more advantage to the offense. Really, it's the offense that makes games run longer, now that notoriously slow-under-all-circumstances Nolan Ryan and Carlton Fisk are out of baseball.

harwar
09-04-2011, 03:36 PM
put the yankees and red sox in their own league and leave the rest of us alone

cub killer
09-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Agreed. Timelessness is the soul of baseball.
Yup. The national pastime is a leisurely game. There's no rush. When most of us are at the game, we don't care if we ever get back.

Brian26
09-04-2011, 08:14 PM

No clock needed, but there are some bad habits that have formed that I'd like to see addressed.

This year, in particular, managers have been calling for pitching changes at the beginning of an inning before a pitch is ever thrown. So, we come back from a commercial break, the previous pitcher has warmed up on the mound, the batter is announced (not necessarily even a pinch hitter) and the manager comes out to immediately make a change. Go to another commercial break. Totally unnecessary.

Second, I'd like to seeing the "icing" catcher's visit to the mound with two-strikes eliminated. Ivan Rodriquez and Olivo are notorious for this. Posada pulled this often with the Yankees too. Tough pitcher on the mound gets two strikes on the batter and then there's an automatic visit to the mound to try to "ice" the batter to slow down his bat or get him to outthink himself on the next pitch.

TDog
09-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Second, I'd like to seeing the "icing" catcher's visit to the mound with two-strikes eliminated. Ivan Rodriquez and Olivo are notorious for this. Posada pulled this often with the Yankees too. Tough pitcher on the mound gets two strikes on the batter and then there's an automatic visit to the mound to try to "ice" the batter to slow down his bat or get him to outthink himself on the next pitch.

Carlton Fisk did a lot of this. One season, games he caught were a half-hour longer than the league average.
American League nine-inning games are longer and have been for years because of the DH.

Tragg
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
The problem is often the hitter taking three practice swings, stepping out, holding out his hand during the windup. You'd need a batter clock, too.

kevingrt
09-05-2011, 12:59 PM
The problem is often the hitter taking three practice swings, stepping out, holding out his hand during the windup. You'd need a batter clock, too.

It's on both the hitters and pitchers. You are exactly correct Tragg. Some of these hitters are so superstitious that they take three practice swings, redo their gloves three times, and have to look down at the 3B coach for 5-10 seconds getting signals while the pitcher is waiting on the mound.

I do not know if there is a good solution for this.

Bucky F. Dent
09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
If the home plate umpire refused to give the batter time out after every damned pitch it would be a substantial step forward.

"Get in the damned box, Derek!"

shes
09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Well, something does need to be done to speed up the game, although I wouldn't go as far as a pitch clock.

We can talk all about the traditions of the game and use that as an excuse not to change things, but baseball has made numerous drastic changes throughout its history. I think it's time to make another.

As more and more entertainment options are introduced to compete with baseball, the sport suffers. Women's soccer and MMA outrate the World Series. The game is perceived as a boring relic to much of the population. It is no longer the national past time, and I don't know how much longer it will be one of the 4 major sports. For me, that's depressing.

If watching a game was a ~2 hr investment, its popularity would probably rise significantly.

There's no reason for a 9-inning baseball game to last 180+ minutes. Call me a blasphemer or attack my fanhood, but when it's the top of the 4th and 90 minutes have passed, I'm probably switching the channel and only tuning back in in the last few innings. It gets boring, and I say this as someone who grew up playing the game and has watched over 3000 White Sox games alone.

Brian26
09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
As more and more entertainment options are introduced to compete with baseball, the sport suffers. Women's soccer and MMA outrate the World Series. The game is perceived as a boring relic to much of the population. It is no longer the national past time, and I don't know how much longer it will be one of the 4 major sports. For me, that's depressing.

:rolling:

central44
09-06-2011, 12:40 AM

If watching a game was a ~2 hr investment, its popularity would probably rise significantly.

I'm pretty sure MMA will never kill baseball. Or women's soccer.

And of the four major sports, I seriously doubt the NHL will ever come close to surpassing baseball in popularity (in the U.S anyway) and basketball only has a shot if we see another MJ.

Football is clearly the national pasttime--which probably means about as much as all the Cubs attendance trophies. But I guarantee that there will always be a place for baseball--it's the ultimate "I can work on something while watching the game and never miss a beat" sport! :D:

And no baseball doesn't need a pitch clock. This is only an issue with two teams, but because it's these two particular teams places like ESPN immediatly declare it a major problem. It's not, at least as long as guys like Mark Buehrle are around.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2011, 01:22 AM
It's on both the hitters and pitchers. You are exactly correct Tragg. Some of these hitters are so superstitious that they take three practice swings, redo their gloves three times, and have to look down at the 3B coach for 5-10 seconds getting signals while the pitcher is waiting on the mound.

I do not know if there is a good solution for this.Yeah, enforce the rule:

(1) The batter shall keep at least one foot in the batter's box throughout the batter's time at bat, unless one of the following exceptions applies, in which case the batter may leave the batter's box but not the dirt area surrounding home plate:
(i) The batter swings at a pitch;
(ii) The batter is forced out of the batter's box by a pitch;
(iii) A member of either team requests and is granted "Time";
(iv) A defensive player attempts a play on a runner at any base;
(v) The batter feints a bunt;
(vi) A wild pitch or passed ball occurs;
(vii) The pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound after receiving the ball; or
(viii) The catcher leaves the catcher's box to give defensive signals.

SOXSINCE'70
09-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Baseball doesn't need a time clock;they need to stop having 3 minute breaks between innings!!The extended commercial breaks
are driving me nuts.The Yankmees and Blow Sawx are just the tip of the iceberg,IMO.