PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember "The Bill Veeck Show?"

Southsider101
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Does anyone remember the Bill Veeck Show and when it ran? Apparently it aired on WFLD channel 32 according to the opening shot. I came across an interesting video where his guests are a young civic leader named Bud Selig and sportswriter Cleon Waalford of the Milwaukee Journal talking about the move of the Milwaukee Braves to Atlanta and Selig's attempt to bring major league baseball back to Milwaukee. While I grew up in Chicago during that time, I do not remember seeing the show on TV.

http://mediaburn.org/Video-Preview.128.0.html?&uid=4432

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I actually remember a TV show that he had in 1959 and his co-host was his wife Mary Frances. I can't remember what station it was on but it was strickly about the Sox and the pennant race that year.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I know he had a radio show when he owned the Sox the second time, I think it was done on Sunday where he took phone calls and such.

Lip

SI1020
09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I actually remember a TV show that he had in 1959 and his co-host was his wife Mary Frances. I can't remember what station it was on but it was strickly about the Sox and the pennant race that year. I remember that show and think it also ran in the 1960 season too. I seem to recall watching it on Sunday evenings.

kba
09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
That Mediaburn site has a ton of old video of Veeck and the Sox. Tom Weinburg, who started the site, is a documentary maker who was a minor stockholder in Veeck's ownership group the second time he owned the Sox.

The site has the "Veeck family archives" of Bill's TV shows, plus hours of raw video from a documentary Weinburg made about Spring Training in Sarasota in 1978.

Also, here's the entire video of Channel 44's coverage of "Bill Veeck night," the farewell celebration at Comiskey Park at the end of the 1980 season. Harry Carey, Bob Elson, Minnie Minoso, Billy Pierce, Max Patkin, and more:

http://www.mediaburn.org/Video-Preview.128.0.html?&uid=3153

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I know he had a radio show when he owned the Sox the second time, I think it was done on Sunday where he took phone calls and such.

Lip

I also remember that show and listened to it just about every week. Pretty sure it was on Sunday morning around 11am.

I also wrote him a letter in 1977 on player's salaries and free agency and and how baseball was on the road to ruin. This was after we lost Zisk and Gamble to free agency after that great run in 77. I recieved a letter back from him which was signed at the bottom and it's in one of my White Sox scrapbooks.

Chez
09-01-2011, 02:45 PM
The Bill Veeck show was good; but didn't come close to matching The Dick Allen Show. :D: It seemed like Chuck Tanner and Dick's brother, Hank were guests every week!

Lip Man 1
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
"Switchin' On!!!!!!!!"

LOL

Lip

Southsider101
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
That Mediaburn site has a ton of old video of Veeck and the Sox. Tom Weinburg, who started the site, is a documentary maker who was a minor stockholder in Veeck's ownership group the second time he owned the Sox.

The site has the "Veeck family archives" of Bill's TV shows, plus hours of raw video from a documentary Weinburg made about Spring Training in Sarasota in

Also, here's the entire video of Channel 44's coverage of "Bill Veeck night," the farewell celebration at Comiskey Park at the end of the 1980 season. Harry Carey, Bob Elson, Minnie Minoso, Billy Pierce, Max Patkin, and more:

What brought me to the Mediaburn site was that I was looking for video of the infamous Harry Carey/Jimmy Piersall show when Piersall called out ballplayers wives and girlfriends for being golddiggers. I remember Jimmy catching flack for weeks after he made that comment.

kba
09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
What brought me to the Mediaburn site was that I was looking for video of the infamous Harry Carey/Jimmy Piersall show when Piersall called out ballplayers wives and girlfriends for being golddiggers. I remember Jimmy catching flack for weeks after he made that comment.

Didn't Piersall say that on Mike Royko's TV show? (And the words he used were considerably less polite than "golddiggers.")

Lip Man 1
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Ask and ye shall receive (somewhat)

September 6, 1981 - It’s the beginning of the end for broadcaster Jimmy Piersall in connection with the Sox. Piersall and Harry Caray appear on the ‘Mike Royko show’ on WLS-TV. Royko asked the duo how they handle baseball wives who disliked the comments they made about their husbands. Caray said “You know what Mike. I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall’s answer was more controversial to say the least. “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played. I got a load of those broads too.”

Lip

Southsider101
09-01-2011, 04:48 PM

September 6, 1981 - It’s the beginning of the end for broadcaster Jimmy Piersall in connection with the Sox. Piersall and Harry Caray appear on the ‘Mike Royko show’ on WLS-TV. Royko asked the duo how they handle baseball wives who disliked the comments they made about their husbands. Caray said “You know what Mike. I would love to call all the wives together someday and tell them what their husbands say about them across the ballfield.” Piersall’s answer was more controversial to say the least. “First of all they were horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security and a big strong ballplayer. I traveled, I played. I got a load of those broads too.”

Lip

Thank you Lip Man!

Imagine if a broadcaster, today, spoke with such frankness!

SI1020
09-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Lip I saw that show.

all*star quentin
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM

The site has the "Veeck family archives" of Bill's TV shows, plus hours of raw video from a documentary Weinburg made about Spring Training in Sarasota in 1978.

I really enjoyed watching the video of Bill Veeck night. Thanks so much for the link.

:)