PDA

View Full Version : Peavy's run down

#1swisher
09-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Peavy said; he's run down, but ready to finish the last few starts. "I feel fine, it's just my arm".

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7316/peavy-13-months-after-surgery-im-run-down

SI1020
09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh Jake take a lesson from Lillibridge on what to say and when to say it.

TheOldRoman
09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh Jake take a lesson from Lillibridge on what to say and when to say it.Maybe you haven't been following, but he is saying the same thing he said all year. He is still rebuilding strength after his surgery.

SI1020
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe you haven't been following, but he is saying the same thing he said all year. He is still rebuilding strength after his surgery. Oh I have, but I get the feeling that you like Jake and/or think he'll bounce back to form next year. Sorry, I guess I'm too old school or something but I think he talks too much and at the wrong time. I fully realize in this day and age I'm fighting a hopelessly losing battle. Just shut up Jake and pitch. If you're done for the year due to fatigue go see Ozzie, and Cooper. Work out your next moves with them.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh I have, but I get the feeling that you like Jake and/or think he'll bounce back to form next year. Sorry, I guess I'm too old school or something but I think he talks too much and at the wrong time. I fully realize in this day and age I'm fighting a hopelessly losing battle. Just shut up Jake and pitch. If you're done for the year due to fatigue go see Ozzie, and Cooper. Work out your next moves with them.Then when he starts refusing to answer questions from the press, there will be those who jump on him for being a prima donna and a jerk. And yes, I think there's a good chance he'll bounce back next year. It takes quite a while to recover from major orthopedic surgery, and he's coming back from something that no baseball player (to my knowledge) has ever had.

SI1020
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Then when he starts refusing to answer questions from the press, there will be those who jump on him for being a prima donna and a jerk. And yes, I think there's a good chance he'll bounce back next year. It takes quite a while to recover from major orthopedic surgery, and he's coming back from something that no baseball player (to my knowledge) has ever had. Yes I see your point. If he decides to dummy up or curtail his comments at this point I promise not to jump on him for it. I wish him well on his continuing rehab but do not expect anything close to the Cy Young Peavy ever again.

TheOldRoman
09-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes I see your point. If he decides to dummy up or curtail his comments at this point I promise not to jump on him for it. I wish him well on his continuing rehab but do not expect anything close to the Cy Young Peavy ever again.Here's the thing, I imagine the press asks him after every game how he felt (or they should if they are responsible). Obviously, he is human and the strength and ability he has any time out will fluctuate, especially while still rebuilding strength after the surgery. So, the press might not see a point in including an "I felt great, had a lot of movement today," but they will definitely include, "my arm felt tired and I got no movement. I am still working my way back and I don't yet have it every game." When you only hear him talk about his physicality after loses, it sounds like he is making excuses.

SI1020
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Here's the thing, I imagine the press asks him after every game how he felt (or they should if they are responsible). Obviously, he is human and the strength and ability he has any time out will fluctuate, especially while still rebuilding strength after the surgery. So, the press might not see a point in including an "I felt great, had a lot of movement today," but they will definitely include, "my arm felt tired and I got no movement. I am still working my way back and I don't yet have it every game." When you only hear him talk about his physicality after loses, it sounds like he is making excuses. Fair enough. Peavy made some comments previously that rubbed me a little wrong. I probably should have shrugged this off. I really hope he returns to form. Cy Young I don't expect, but a solid 2 or 3 in the rotation would be nice.

hawkjt
09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Sportstalk jocks are shredding Jake over his comments.
Just another illustration that it almost never pays to be too honest in this culture.
I do not see why anyone would be shocked or think that Jake is an excuse-maker with these comments.
I am sure he has told Coop and Ozzie the same thing,prior to the start.
But, what choice do they have at this point? Who they gonna start?
He is not great right now,but the alternatives are pretty non-existent.

He won his last start,and they are just hoping he does not have an inning like yesterday...he did,and it cost the sox,but jake simply telling the truth about his arm did not make him lose,or send shockwaves thru the clubhouse as listening to the Score guys would have you believe.

I think he will be better next year,but no guarantees. This is a science experiment with this ground-breaking surgery,and the outcome is uncertain.

DumpJerry
09-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh I have, but I get the feeling that you like Jake and/or think he'll bounce back to form next year. Sorry, I guess I'm too old school or something but I think he talks too much and at the wrong time. I fully realize in this day and age I'm fighting a hopelessly losing battle. Just shut up Jake and pitch. If you're done for the year due to fatigue go see Ozzie, and Cooper. Work out your next moves with them.
Go to The Score's website and see if they have posted this morning's talk with Coop about Peavy.

jdm2662
09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Then when he starts refusing to answer questions from the press, there will be those who jump on him for being a prima donna and a jerk. And yes, I think there's a good chance he'll bounce back next year. It takes quite a while to recover from major orthopedic surgery, and he's coming back from something that no baseball player (to my knowledge) has ever had.

Yep, I see this with the Bears more than anything. When a certain player/coach, etc. doesn't want to get into details or not want to be a media whore, they are grilled for being mean and terrible people.

TheOldRoman
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Sportstalk jocks are shredding Jake over his comments.
Just another illustration that it almost never pays to be too honest in this culture.
I do not see why anyone would be shocked or think that Jake is an excuse-maker with these comments.
I am sure he has told Coop and Ozzie the same thing,prior to the start.
But, what choice do they have at this point? Who they gonna start?
He is not great right now,but the alternatives are pretty non-existent.

He won his last start,and they are just hoping he does not have an inning like yesterday...he did,and it cost the sox,but jake simply telling the truth about his arm did not make him lose,or send shockwaves thru the clubhouse as listening to the Score guys would have you believe.

I think he will be better next year,but no guarantees. This is a science experiment with this ground-breaking surgery,and the outcome is uncertain.When I got in my car last night I heard whatever idiots were on the Score play the soudbite of Peavy. Then they mockingly played "Sweet Home Alabama" and got worked up, yelling "Why didn't you say this BEFORE the game?" I'm sure the coaches knew before the game, but what the hell do you want Peavy to do? "Hey Twins, just to let you know, I am feeling tight today, can't get properly loose. I think I won't have good movement and I'm gonna leave a lot of pitches up early on. You are on your honor not to swing at any bad pitches I may throw."

sox1970
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Here's the video. Shut him down. We'll see you in Glendale.

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/whitesoxvideo?PID=6cLLTB-_zlDo_M5f0xbYp1yYvJZuTVNJSlRiVC3

amsteel
09-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I said months ago when Peavy was struggling to get past the 75 pitch mark that he was clearly not back 100% strength wise, and that if he wasn't close to 100% he had no place in the rotation. If he's not 100%, strengthening sessions shouldn't be every fifth day on an MLB mound. The trade of Jackson sort of forced him into the rotation, and he had a couple good starts, but this clearly was not a good season for him.

Shut him down, and hope he makes a decent 3rd starter in 2012.

wilburaga
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Jake has been frustrating because he's had a few dominant outings, but next time goes out and [insert WSI cliche].

WhiteSox5187
09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Jake has been frustrating because he's had a few dominant outings, but next time goes out and [insert WSI cliche].

It's been frustrating but really it is to be expected. He is coming off an unprecedented surgery and some thought he wouldn't be back at all this year. The fact that he has been dominant at times is probably a very good sign for next year.

eriqjaffe
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
It's been frustrating but really it is to be expected. He is coming off an unprecedented surgery and some thought he wouldn't be back at all this year. The fact that he has been dominant at times is probably a very good sign for next year.Sometimes, I think people forget this.

Between Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, Jake is the one whom I'm not completely disappointed in.

Falstaff
09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Then when he starts refusing to answer questions from the press, there will be those who jump on him for being a prima donna and a jerk. And yes, I think there's a good chance he'll bounce back next year. It takes quite a while to recover from major orthopedic surgery, and he's coming back from something that no baseball player (to my knowledge) has ever had.
yes. It seems to me about 6 weeks ago the Peave told the press he would accept assignment to bullpen, even a set-up role, "if it gives the team the best chance to win". At the time, I suggested mebbe this is his way of saying
"am recovering from major orthopedic surgery, and realistically can't perform at full strength as a starter, but can still make important contribution to the club..." Many here scoffed at my speculation, and Oz said "Peavy is a starter". Its way past time to recognize 2011 is a bit early to expect Cy Young Jake on the mound. Maybe never will have the endurance to do the starter/ace thing again. BUT can be very useful tool in relief role, a la, El Duque, eh?

soxfan1965
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
yes. It seems to me about 6 weeks ago the Peave told the press he would accept assignment to bullpen, even a set-up role, "if it gives the team the best chance to win". At the time, I suggested mebbe this is his way of saying
"am recovering from major orthopedic surgery, and realistically can't perform at full strength as a starter, but can still make important contribution to the club..." Many here scoffed at my speculation, and Oz said "Peavy is a starter". Its way past time to recognize 2011 is a bit early to expect Cy Young Jake on the mound. Maybe never will have the endurance to do the starter/ace thing again. BUT can be very useful tool in relief role, a la, El Duque, eh? He had a bad 1st inning yesterday, and as a reliever, there's no room for that. But maybe starting is wearing him out after major surgery as had been pointed out. I hope he will work hard the off season in a controlled and measured way, cut out the talk/blogs for now, "just do it". From what I read, Rios is waking out of his complacency and determined to work hard and smart in the offseason on his problems. Dunn I'm not too hopeful because it could be diminished skills that has caught up with his age, hand/eye coordination, and general physical shape. If he works hard in the off season with the same results, maybe they can ask him to retire (good luck). Whatever, we have to live with this trio until their contracts expire, the offseason is crucial for them (and for the fan base and the franchise with small chance of any FA). I hope we can get updates on their progress in the offseason.

asindc
09-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Sometimes, I think people forget this.

Between Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, Jake is the one whom I'm not completely disappointed in.

I agree completely.

Noneck
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Sometimes, I think people forget this.

Peavy has an understandable reason behind his short comings, the other two do not.