PDA

View Full Version : What should the White Sox do in response to North's commerical parodies?

Viva Magglio
08-07-2001, 04:07 PM
What should the White Sox do in response to North's commerical parodies?

Iwritecode
08-07-2001, 04:19 PM
I vote we all go to daver's house, borrow some uh... stuff... and then go over to North's house...

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
What should the White Sox do in response to North's commerical parodies?

They should do something but they won't.

Fisk Fan
08-07-2001, 04:37 PM
I need some examples. I have been in Florida for a week and, truthfully, I don't really like Mike North since he jumped ship. Does anyone have some brief descriptions?

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I need some examples. I have been in Florida for a week and, truthfully, I don't really like Mike North since he jumped ship. Does anyone have some brief descriptions?

This was posted earlier:
Most of you are familiar with the radio ad the White Sox are running about the uncle who takes his nephew to his first White Sox game. I'll admit that it's a corny spot, but the line ends the nephew asking "What do they make there?" and the uncle responding "Memories, kid. Memories."

Well, Mike North has decided to do a parody of this ad. Playing the role of the uncle, he does the commercial with the focus being Stateway Gardens instead of Comiskey Park. The tagline this time is "Gangbangers, kid. Gangbangers."

This parody is nothing short of a distorted shot at our ballpark and the neighborhood. Stateway Gardens is, no doubt, a rough place to live. However, it is across the Dan Ryan Expressway and not within the immediate confines of the ballpark. The neighborhood around the ballpark is a nice neighborhood. Sure, there may have been a handful of incidents there in recent years. Nevertheless, North stereotyped the Comiskey Park neighborhood as unsafe which it is not.

You know, the Score lets hosts like this get away with such moronic parodies, yet they dump better hosts over some lame excuse about misuse of credentials. Go figure.

Fisk Fan
08-07-2001, 04:47 PM
Thanks. I found it a second after I posted a reply.

It reminds me of an examine I took in High School. The last line on the test read "Don't do any of the above things and you will get an 'A'" All of the lines above had the students picking their noses, standing on their chairs, etc. Long story short, I got an 'F'

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 05:24 PM
I think we ought to just laugh at his "parodies" and get onto more important things. Let's quit w/ all the whining and crying. We sound like a bunch of wussies.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-07-2001, 06:01 PM
Here's what the White Sox should do in response: fire Rob Gallas or whoever came up with that pathetic ad campaign, scrap it, and come up with something that is creative and not pandering.

doublem23
08-08-2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I think we ought to just laugh at his "parodies" and get onto more important things. Let's quit w/ all the whining and crying. We sound like a bunch of wussies.

That's a lot easier to do if:

A) Mike North wasn't a bandwagon-jumping (but you know he's a Cub fan) prick to begin with
B) This retard town's media wasn't so blatantly anti-Sox and pro-Cubs.

It's time for the White Sox to really stop putting up with this *****. I don't know what the solution is now.

Iguana775
08-08-2001, 11:34 AM
not to be rude but, who give a ****e what he thinks or does?? i sure as hell dont. i think we got bigger problems to worry about than what a piece of crap thinks. i gave up worrying about things that i have no control over a long time ago cause i didnt want to have a heart attack before i am 30.

doublem23
08-08-2001, 11:41 AM
I see your point, Iguana.

I know there are bigger fish to fry. I also know that whatever North does or says, it doesn't affect our team.

I dunno, what can I say? It's hard to be a Sox fan in Chicago. You wouldn't think there were 2 teams in Chicago.

Iwritecode
08-08-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
You wouldn't think there were 2 teams in Chicago.

:ass

Of course there are 2 teams in Chicago: Cubs, Bulls and Bears. Oh, I guess the Fire counts too. That's all I can think of right now...

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 02:34 PM
I have thought for the past couple of years that the White Sox advertising campaigns were just brutal. Remember the one where the woman was in between Albert Belle and Frank Thomas, and she just kept yaking and yaking? Who was that supposed to appeal to....the strange? Then there was the commercial with Tom Paciorek trying on all the different hats (ladies hats included) - just too bizarre. But this year's really takes the cake. Who is this guy who does the voice-overs, and who is he related to? We have evolved from a "Hey....We're Loaded" to "It's Time" to a series of spots giving every single player a cutesy nickname (The Lumber Company, the Foreman, the Hauler etc.) to now running spots equating a trip to the ballpark with a "life changing event". Look I remember my first trip to a ballpark (White Sox vs. Washington), but in no way do I remember it in the yuppified smarmy fashion that these radio spots portray. DUMP THE ENTIRE ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN AND FIRE GALLAS.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

ahhhhh a voice of reason

PutItOnTheBoard
08-08-2001, 02:51 PM
Hear, hear, King. The ad campaign is awful. It deserved North's parody. It's gotten to the point where I mute the commercials when they come on. Just the tone of the voice of the guy that does the voice-overs makes my skin crawl. "They make memories, kid" my ass.

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 02:56 PM
I have memories - lots of them:

My Uncle Leo quaffing down copius amounts of Drewery's while sitting in the hot sun and watching Duane Josephson strike out four times in a row - and then almost crying on the way home when the air conditioning in his Ford LTD went out.

There now that would be a commercial worth hearing.

KingXerxes
08-08-2001, 03:35 PM
:hawk

"Yessir......Ol' Uncle Leo........Mercy!"

Procol Harum
08-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Our guy JR will never fire Rob Gallas because he is an integral part of the paranoid fantasy world that has been built in Sox management land. Sox marketing is a joke, and their public relations are even worse. The whole organization is poisoned by this atmosphere--the only thing that can save this mess is for Reinsdorf to sell the team. God grant us mercy....