PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL 8/30 Longest winning streak of the season* Postgame thread!

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice comeback! Everything De Aza touches turns to gold. That would be a 5-game winning streak, by the way.

Sox are now 6-7 vs. the Twins after starting 0-6!

Go for the sweep tomorrow, guys!

vinny
08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey! We finally got hitting even though we had mediocre pitching!

Thanks for those beanballs, Twins. Suck it.

blandman
This team is going no where fast. Five back heading into the final month. That's not competing. Nothing to see here.

billyvsox
That's 5-0 since the phone rang in Charlotte to summon the savior

Zakath
We've now tied the high-water mark for games over .500 for the season (we were 6-3 on April 10 and 7-4 on April 12).

The kids can play.

dwitt76
Love beating those guys

mccoydp
Man, I'm digging this "new" team! The kids can play! :cool:

:winner

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Ya think Dump Jerry is gonna be eating tonight? He seems to go on big hunger strikes until the Sox get to 5 wins in a row.

russ99
Nice comeback! Everything De Aza touches turns to gold. That would be a 5-game winning streak, by the way.

Sox are now 6-7 vs. the Twins after starting 0-6!

Go for the sweep tomorrow, guys!

Woo hoo! Sox win 5 in a row. :bandance:

Not sure if Stewart should start anymore, especially if Humber is coming off the DL this weekend as expected.

Let's get 'em tomorrow.

Foulke You
5 straight! I do enjoy the long faces in the Twins dugout. It wasn't a pretty game but I will definitely take it. Keep it going Sox.

soxfan1965
Didn't think they would come back after the Twin's 3 run inning in the fifth. Great job, too bad the Tigers won a close one in extras. Rios had a better game too, scored two runs.

all*star quentin
08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Winning streak, coming at the right time. :)

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
5 straight! I do enjoy the long faces in the Twins dugout. It wasn't a pretty game but I will definitely take it. Keep it going Sox.
I don't care that they're injured...I do too! They've got A LOT coming to them!

Rikirk
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Get hot Sox!

ChiSoxGal85
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I love the way this team is playing right now. Fighting back after being down 3 runs twice? Unheard of just a few weeks ago. Now - awesome! With a little help from the Twins, of course.

The kids are not afraid.

:bliss:

Zakath
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm going to start suing Chuck Garfein for copyright infringement...

Aesero
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Thank god the team brought up some players from the minors that can hit. Sadly though, I don't think Rios will sit until this lineup loses.

Ugly game, but a win is a win.

hoosiersoxfan
08-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Anyone know the status of Quentin? Would love to see him replace Rios in the lineup

KMcMahon817
08-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice game. Nice comeback. Nice win.

De Aza needs to be in the lineup 90% of the time at this point.

I also think they should go with a 4-man rotation until Humber returns for the doubleheader in MN. Let Stewart pitch out of the bullpen. Let's win this thing, not prepare for next year quite yet.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
It sucks that the Tigers won late, but this was a great win for the Sox after facing a pair of three-run deficits. Baseball is fun when your team can score runs, and the offense has a lot of favors to pay to the pitching staff. Let's sweep these jagoffs tomorrow.

A. Cavatica
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
This team is going no where fast. Five back heading into the final month. That's not competing. Nothing to see here.

It's normal for a .500 team to have a five-game winning streak at some point. This team is still going nowhere fast, although it's always nice to beat the Twins.

SoxSpeed22
08-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I like what these young guys are doing. Chris Sale was also filthy when he came in. We might have something going down there.

08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey twins,

go **** yourselves.

I can't wait to sweep that pathetic team out of Chicago tomorrow.

amsteel
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Twins ain't ****.
Division race or not, the last month should be fun.

slavko
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
I like what these young guys are doing. Chris Sale was also filthy when he came in. We might have something going down there.

He's a starter next year. Stewart is likely headed for the 'pen this year. No shame there, he has some nice stuff. Santos interferes with my digestion when his slider is inconsistent, as it was tonight. Got a break on strike 3 to end it, it was a strike, but that pitch never gets called one.

FielderJones
08-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Again, JB seems to be off the board. So ...

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Our bullpen tonight:
4.1 innings, 0 hits, 2 walks. That is ****ing dominant.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey twins,

go **** yourselves.

I can't wait to sweep that pathetic team out of Chicago tomorrow.
If that happens, we will have back-to-back sweeps over them! The last time that has happened probably was in the 90s!

voodoochile
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Didn't get to watch it, saw they were down 3 when I logged into the Gamecast equivalent on my Blackberry. Next thing I know they are up 2 and I was happy.

5 in a row and 3 games over. hmmmm....

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

voodoochile
08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
If that happens, we will have back-to-back sweeps over them! The last time that has happened probably was in the 90s!

Well considering they won 8 in a row 4 or 5 times during the 2005 season, it's probable it happened sometime then. In addition I believe the 2000 squad went on an otherworldly tear in late May and early June that included some sweeps and last year if memory serves they went 23-5 in one stretch so odds are there might have been back to backs in there somewhere.

But maybe it was the 90's I admit I'm only speculating. I haven't looked it up.

Edit: In fact I'm damned sure the 2005 team closed the season on a 5-0 run including a sweep of their final series and a sweep of their first round opponent in the playoffs so it's been at least that recently.

shingo10
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
It is time for Peavy to put his money where his mouth is tomorrow.

Need an ace like performance out of him and let's go into Detroit with our outright longest winning streak of the year.

SoxSpeed22
08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
He's a starter next year. Stewart is likely headed for the 'pen this year. No shame there, he has some nice stuff. Santos interferes with my digestion when his slider is inconsistent, as it was tonight. Got a break on strike 3 to end it, it was a strike, but that pitch never gets called one.I think he needs something for lefties. That slider is great for getting right handers out, but it's less effective against left handers. He might want to learn something from Danks about a changeup that moves away from left handed batters. Unfortunately, Freddy's not here to help him out with a splitter. It is only his second year pitching, so he can learn.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Well considering they won 8 in a row 4 or 5 times during the 2005 season, it's probable it happened sometime then. In addition I believe the 2000 squad went on an otherworldly tear in late May and early June that included some sweeps and last year if memory serves they went 23-5 in one stretch so odds are there might have been back to backs in there somewhere.

But maybe it was the 90's I admit I'm only speculating. I haven't looked it up.

Edit: In fact I'm damned sure the 2005 team closed the season on a 5-0 run including a sweep of their final series and a sweep of their first round opponent in the playoffs so it's been at least that recently.
I was talking about back-to-back sweeps over the Twins. We swept them the first weekend of this month too.

Crooked Number
08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
I am now watching games with a different feeling. The feeling that one to three run leads by the opposition no longer seem insurmountable. I love that Hawk is advocating the youth, including a quip about how the vets were singing their praises before the game. A definite shot in the arm, difference making call ups.

It is immensely satisfying to see the Sox out twinsin' the twinks. Keep it going. Jake needs a strong effort tomorrow, one of the less than 4 earned variety. I am really hoping to not see Dunn in the lineup anytime soon. Unforunately for him, he seems to bring any success from this team to a screeching halt. DSNB!!

Falstaff
08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I am now watching games with a different feeling. The feeling that one to three run leads by the opposition no longer seem insurmountable. I love that Hawk is advocating the youth, including a quip about how the vets were singing their praises before the game. A definite shot in the arm, difference making call ups.

It is immensely satisfying to see the Sox out twinsin' the twinks. Keep it going. Jake needs a strong effort tomorrow, one of the less than 4 earned variety. I am really hoping to not see Dunn in the lineup anytime soon. Unforunately for him, he seems to bring any success from this team to a screeching halt. DSNB!!
Ya, I have been VERY pleased with the energy and performance from the recent call ups and Flowers with more playing time too. Plus, Sale and Santos have been generally solid all year. What I'm getting at is maybe the White Sox actually have decent minor league talent and system after all.
Almost seems like on a good night Charlotte would walk all over the Walkerball MLB team! So, the recent success -sparked by "the kids can play"- ought to be a lesson for all of us, and expecially Kenny. Now lets keep the fire burning and smoke the central division for lunch.

kittle42
08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Alexander of Gold.

slavko
08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I think he needs something for lefties. That slider is great for getting right handers out, but it's less effective against left handers. He might want to learn something from Danks about a changeup that moves away from left handed batters. Unfortunately, Freddy's not here to help him out with a splitter. It is only his second year pitching, so he can learn.

He has a straight change, nice pitch too, throws it ~88 MPH, which is faster than his slider at ~84. Hey, Foulke got along great with 2 pitches, as a one inning pitcher can. I was always on Jenks who threw too many different pitches for a closer, MacDougal too, which I thought contributed to their problems.

kevingrt
08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
It is time for Peavy to put his money where his mouth is tomorrow.

Need an ace like performance out of him and let's go into Detroit with our outright longest winning streak of the year.

Completely agree. If he wants to be a top tier starter in the AL next year tomorrow would be a good place to start off. Lets get a quality start from him and hopefully a W. It would be just huge to go into this Detroit series with a win and a prolonged winning streak.

hawkjt
08-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Great comeback. That three run dinger by Alejandro pulled them off the mat, a lightning bolt out of nowhere.

I like Stewarts control,and mound presence but these last two games he has had brain cramps with guys on base. He will be starting one of the doubleheader games vs the Twins on Monday...Humber and Stewart....this will be crucial after a late nite game in Detroit (as Hawk has reminded us a dozen times) ....Sox must find a way to at least split that dheader.

Love how Dayan hustling caused the guy to throw to first high,and got that inning rolling. Love how PK,Alexei and Juan are continuing their professional hitting. I also think DeAza's speed might have caused Cudyar to hurry his throw....speed burns,baby!

Bullpen really got tapped tonite. Great job. Is there a nastier reliever in the league than Chris Sale...great draft pick,Kenny!
Bullpen needs a bit of a break tomorrow,but at least they have a day off before detroit. Detroit went extras tonite,and plays the next two nites,so their pen might be tired on the weekend? Sox must ge to them after Verlander leaves,probably.

29 games to go. Leyland has a history of his teams melting down late...in 2009 and 2007 they went 11-16 in their last 27...he overuses his pitchers all year and it burns him late. Put pressure on them,Sox!

Nelfox02
08-30-2011, 11:34 PM

100% agree......the worst part of this season for me was firing up a game and in the first few innings going down a couple runs and saying "well this is pretty much over". Now, not so much. Yesterday was the first time in recent memory I went into a game with the Twins expecting the Sox to win.....even in this awful season for the Twinks.

Stewart struggling was disappointing, but still optimitic this guy can contritbute to the team, if not in a starting role as an addition to what has been a really strong pen.

PeteWard
08-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Big win. Going down six and slipping behind Cleveland would have been depressing. Win tomorrow and pull for KC to at least split the next two which puts the Sox down 4.5 going into Detroit. Not ideal but I still think they can win this.

SoxSpeed22
08-31-2011, 01:08 AM
He has a straight change, nice pitch too, throws it ~88 MPH, which is faster than his slider at ~84. Hey, Foulke got along great with 2 pitches, as a one inning pitcher can. I was always on Jenks who threw too many different pitches for a closer, MacDougal too, which I thought contributed to their problems.Those are good points. Fastball, slider, changeup can work just fine for him. I would rather see him throw his changeup more to the lefties and maybe tweak it to move down.

TDog
08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
A fun game, certainly, although not as well played as Monday night's win. Still, like Monday, the White Sox outplayed the Twins in the way White Sox fans have been used to seeing the Twins outplay the White Sox. I can't recall the last time the White Sox came back from two three-run deficits in a win against the Twins.

This is only the second poor outing a White Sox starter has had since the Rangers roughed up Peavy on the last homestand. In both cases, it was Stewart who struggled. He is looking like he might be only a three-inning pitcher, at least in this stage of his career. I hope Humber comes back strong and Stewart can go back to pitching in relief.

The second time through the order tonight, Stewart gave up a hit and quickly three runs pitching out of the stretch. His next inning was worse in some ways, and he didn't survive it. Fortunately, the Sox were just as tough on Swarzak on his second trip through the Sox order. And it helped that the Twins are no longer the strong fundamentally sound defensive team everyone believed they were. The deciding run came on a two-strike, two-out hit bases-loaded hit batsman in an inning set up by an error by the first baseman.

This was a team win, a win by a team that wouldn't quit, without even the usual strong pitching performance as the foundation. Only Rios and Ramirez got more than one hit, although Konerko walked and was hit by a pitch, limiting his opportunities to do damage with the bat. Everyone but Flowers got at least one hit, and he walked as part of the five-run inning. I didn't mind the Sox getting two runners thrown out at home to end innings because they had the lead and they were putting pressure on the defense.

Since the Sox won six of their first nine, they have played .500, but there have been some dismal lows that needed balancing out along the way. Now it feels like the Sox are the team in the Central with that second wind, although Tigers may feel their team doesn't yet need to reach back for it. There is a renewed energy with these White Sox. It was just last month that the Sox scored five in the first against the Twins and lost the game 8-5, and no one seemed surprised. There is a WSI thread with predictions of when the Twins would overtake the Sox. But tonight, a most memorable win. And I'm not surprised.

Most of the comeback games against the Twins in recent memory haven't had happy endings. Last August, the White Sox came back from a 4-0 deficit in Minneapolis. Konerko homered. Kotsay had three hits, including a double and a home run. Ramirez tied the game in the ninth with a home run and drove in Lillibridge running for Kotsay to give the Sox the lead in the 10th. But Thome came back in the bottom of the 10th against Thornton to end the game with a two-run homer. That left the White Sox 11 games over .500 and four games out of first. And it was sort of a microcosm of the season, the Sox catching up after a horrible start, pulling ahead and then losing it to the Twins who seemed to be saying they could beat the Sox whenever they felt like it.

Tonight's game should be more memorable, going down twice and coming back in the end two win. With young players who fans weren't expecting to contribute at the beginning of the season coming up big. If this game proves a microcosm of 2011, I could live with that.

captain54
08-31-2011, 02:06 AM
This was a team win, a win by a team that wouldn't quit, .

I was at the game and it was more about the Twins defense gift wrapping this one for the Sox. Cuddyer's error in the 5 run inning should have been a double play, inning over, Sox only score 1.

TDog
08-31-2011, 02:34 AM
I was at the game and it was more about the Twins defense gift wrapping this one for the Sox. Cuddyer's error in the 5 run inning should have been a double play, inning over, Sox only score 1.

So you're saying that the Twins quit when they still had the lead.

I stand by what I wrote.

doublem23
08-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Regardless of what happens between the Sox and Detroit from here on out, the Sox seem to have broken whatever magical power these Twins had over them the last few years, so... at least in that regard, this season is a success.

doublem23
08-31-2011, 05:38 AM

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/11/17/04e70d2a-ac1a-4b3a-b05c-8e4c5da7a440.jpg

Zakath
08-31-2011, 05:46 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, the year was 1995. The Sox swept a 3-game series in Chicago May 8-10, then swept the Twins in Minnesota June 26-28.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1995-schedule-scores.shtml

soxfan1965
08-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Love how Dayan hustling caused the guy to throw to first high,and got that inning rolling. Love how PK,Alexei and Juan are continuing their professional hitting. I also think DeAza's speed might have caused Cudyar to hurry his throw....speed burns,baby!
Take note Rios, earn your pay, you're hurting the team (and the fans and JR) when you don't hustle.

asindc
08-31-2011, 07:09 AM

I suppose you preferred to have been watching the Cubs play.

Chez
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Before the series started, I posted that the Sox needed to chop two games off the Tigers 6 game lead by the end of the week. Win today, hope the Royals take one more game (out of two) in Detroit and then beat Detroit 2 out of 3 this weekend. That gets us to a 3.5 game deficit with 25 games to go. I know I shouldn't be looking ahead, but this CAN be done.

hawkjt
08-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Cudyyer knew DeAza was running,and he hurried his throw to try to get the double play. It was caused by Alejandro's speed. The Sox provided the gift wrapping for the Twins to wrap the gift.

cws05champ
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I happy the offense took advantage of bad Twins defense and pitching, and thrilled with the win, but they can't keep making some critical mistakes and hope to win the division still.

Why is Ozzie letting Stewart pitch to Mauer in the 5th with 1st base open and a right handed hitter up next? Unbelievably bad managing there.

I still can't fathom how you can have a .212 hitter with 8 HR as your clean up hitter protecting Konerko. Even though he had 2 hits last night, Rios should not be hitting 4th. Flip flop Alexei with rios or move Dayan to the 4 spot until he cools off.

Weird stat of the night; All 14 runs in the game were scored in only the 4th and 5th innings.

jdm2662
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Cudyyer knew DeAza was running,and he hurried his throw to try to get the double play. It was caused by Alejandro's speed. The Sox provided the gift wrapping for the Twins to wrap the gift.

The better play was to go home anyway. Konerko was on third, and he would've been an easy out. They weren't turning two with De Aza running. But, as we know, the Twins play the game the right way. Who are we to question them.

doublem23
08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
The better play was to go home anyway. Konerko was on third, and he would've been an easy out. They weren't turning two with De Aza running. But, as we know, the Twins play the game the right way. Who are we to question them.

I was surprised Cuddyer didn't come home, either. He's not a 1B by trade and that 3-4/6-X DP is not the easiest thing to do in the world, especially with a speedy LH hitter coming down the line. I hope Gardy didn't take the team out for pizza after that effort.

DumpJerry
08-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Right after Cuddyer threw the ball away, I saw some paramedics rushing into the Twins Dugout with AED paddles and I could faintly hear someone sounding like Gardenhire gasping for air saying "fundamentals!" over and over........

TheOldRoman
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Regardless of what happens between the Sox and Detroit from here on out, the Sox seem to have broken whatever magical power these Twins had over them the last few years, so... at least in that regard, this season is a success.True. And it didn't matter how crappy the Twins were, if the Sox saw that TC on the hats their spincters tightened up (to borrow a phrase from Hawk). We had the humiliating no-hitter against Liriano and were swept in a two game series against the Rochester Red Wings earlier in the year. So even though these Twins are a crappy team that the Sox should beat, it is an accomplishment that they are actually beating them. The Sox were like Henry Winkler in the Water Boy, scared to death of facing the Twins. Maybe they got over it by imagining Gardenhire as a smiling baby?

Domeshot17
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
This last week has been some kind of flashback combo between "The kids can play" and "winning ugly". Ugliest win of the year by far, that was like watching one of my men's rec league games, but hey, a W is a W.

asindc
08-31-2011, 09:11 AM
This is the third game in a row in which it is clear to me that we probably lose the game if the April-July lineup plays this game. 'Energy' is the word most (including myself) have been using to describe the effect the Charlotte connection has had on the team, and it was in full display last night.

As others have noted, the crucial play in the game was created by De Aza putting the ball in play, hustling down the line, and pressuring the defense to make a play. Both Flowers and Viciedo have demonstrated more plate discipline this time around than they did in their previous stints with the big club, which has paid off in meaningful ways on more than one occasion. I also think the energy and enthusiasm has been contagious, with Beckham taking better swings lately and Alexei with the dynamic baserunning. Let's keep this up!

October26
08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

:rolling::rolling: Absolutely hilarious! I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Great post and a great comeback win last night. Keep on winning, White Sox! :bliss:

captain54
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
And, as usual, some asinine image insertions and/or graphics to make your non-existent point

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/11/17/04e70d2a-ac1a-4b3a-b05c-8e4c5da7a440.jpg

captain54
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I suppose you preferred to have been watching the Cubs play.

Preferred watching the Cubs play rather than read and respond to your silly posts? Yes, of course

asindc
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Preferred watching the Cubs play rather than read and respond to your silly posts? Yes, of course

I"m sure the irony of your response escapes you.

voodoochile
08-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Hey, last I checked no one's forcing you to post at all. Feel free to do exactly that and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nelfox02
08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Before the series started, I posted that the Sox needed to chop two games off the Tigers 6 game lead by the end of the week. Win today, hope the Royals take one more game (out of two) in Detroit and then beat Detroit 2 out of 3 this weekend. That gets us to a 3.5 game deficit with 25 games to go. I know I shouldn't be looking ahead, but this CAN be done.

Thinking the exact same thing. With our pitching I will take our chances with a 3.5 game hole with 25 left to play (including 3 with DET in Chicago)

Take it one game at a time......big expectations for Peavy today......

Nelfox02
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM

I guess in theory you are right, but how many games are decided each year by big errors in key spots? We have gift wrapped more than our share of losses this season.

captain54
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess in theory you are right, but how many games are decided each year by big errors in key spots? We have gift wrapped more than our share of losses this season.

right... the point being the game yesterday was classic WalkerBall in disguise... sleepwalk thru the first few innings... a three run bomb, and if not for the Cuddyer error only one other run scored the rest of the game and the Sox lose.