PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Wants A Contract Extension?

DSpivack
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-guillen-says-he-wants-to-stay-with-sox-in-2012-and-beyond-with-an-extension-20110830,0,762158.story

Uhh....

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Ozzie is daring the Sox to fire him. If he gets fired, he gets paid for next year anyway, and he can still go manage the Marlins if he wants.

He would much prefer to be fired than be "traded," because then the Marlins would be sending talent to the Sox. If he's going to manage the Marlins, he wants that roster to be as loaded as possible.

I think the Sox should stand pat, and then entertain offers from the Marlins. If the Marlins won't offer anything, then they can fire him.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-30-2011, 08:32 PM
:chunks:

A. Cavatica
08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
"Eight years with this organization, I'm guessing I do a pretty good job."

We've had some pretty bad two-term presidents.

DSpivack
08-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Ozzie is daring the Sox to fire him. If he gets fired, he gets paid for next year anyway, and he can still go manage the Marlins if he wants.

He would much prefer to be fired than be "traded," because then the Marlins would be sending talent to the Sox. If he's going to manage the Marlins, he wants that roster to be as loaded as possible.

I think the Sox should stand pat, and then entertain offers from the Marlins. If the Marlins won't offer anything, then they can fire him.

Under that scenario, why wouldn't the Marlins just hold out until the Sox fire him?

Maybe the White Sox can waive his contract and hope someone claims him.

getonbckthr
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
He has 1 year left on his contract, thru 2012, why shouldn't he want an extension? Isn't it standard for managers with 1 year left to either be extended or fired?

PaleHoser
08-30-2011, 08:53 PM
:bundy

ChicagoG19
08-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Ozzie.

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Under that scenario, why wouldn't the Marlins just hold out until the Sox fire him?

Maybe the White Sox can waive his contract and hope someone claims him.

The Sox clearly are in a bad situation here, because if they wait too long, they may end up losing out on the best replacement candidate.

Goose
08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly, what would the marlins offer that has real value? I am betting not much.

Fire his ass. Fire Kenny's ass. DFA some of these bums on the team and truly start over.

There is not one party to blame..there is plenty of that to go around and the punishment should be handed out just as evenly.

Brian26
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Honestly, what would the marlins offer that has real value? I am betting not much.

Correct. Florida's not going to send Mike Stanton or Morrison or anyone else of value to the Sox for Ozzie.

The best (fair) situation would be for Florida to buy out Ozzie's contract for 2012.

cub killer
08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Mark Giangreco told Ozzie "up yours" on the recent newscast when MG mentioned Ozzie's demands.

DickAllen72
08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Ozzie is just showing what a classless, ungrateful, non-trustworthy person he is. The Sox extended his contract by picking up his option for 2012 to make him happy and secure in 2011 after coming off a bad 2010.

Now he's saying he won't honor his contract in 2012 unless the Sox guarantee him another year of salary for 2013? He's legally obligated to manage for the sox in 2012 unless the Sox decide otherwise, yet he is basically declaring that the contract he has for 2012 is only binding on the White Sox but not on him. He's trying to extort yet another year or more from his "Daddy" Reinsdorf.

If he feels he can't honor his contract next year unless he is offered a new contract for 2013, he should offer to release the Sox from their commitment to pay him for next year and walk away as soon as this season is over (or wishful thinking, immediately). Otherwise he should keep his big mouth shut and try not to be a distraction to the team he is being paid to manage that is currently trying to play it's way back into the pennant race.

tstrike2000
08-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Of course it's possible, too the Sox beat up on these weak teams, build a little cushion above .500, perhaps even until the end of the season in which he'll get that extension.

Hitmen77
08-30-2011, 11:04 PM
:rolleyes:

Hey, Ozzie: :whatever:

DickAllen72
08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
The Sox are currently on their longest winning streak of the season and are on the verge of fighting their way back into contention and Guillen decides to go public with his whining about not honoring his contract next year unless they give him an extension. What timing!

With the negative vibe Guillen surrounds this team with in the media it's little wonder why they can't draw much more than 21K on a night like this. Maybe JR will finally realize that Guillen is a big part of the problem and let KW replace him.

kittle42
08-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Paging munch and russ....

Nelfox02
08-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I have no desire to see Ozzie manage this team in 2012, let alone beyond that. I was hopeful after last year that he would not have been at the helm of 2011 even....

Ready to move on.....I can even accept an argument that Ozzie is not the main culprit behind the dissapointing 2011 campaign, but his managing and off the field persona have left a lot to be desired.

Lot of good memories, but it is time for some fresh blood in this place---players, management, coaching.

Infusion of new faces on the field is certianly having a positive impact the last few days......

BainesHOF
08-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Guillen is all about one thing, himself. I can't stand to even listen to him talk anymore. His stupid, self-serving nonsense is nauseating.

kevingrt
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Guillen is all about one thing, himself. I can't stand to even listen to him talk anymore. His stupid, self-serving nonsense is nauseating.

I just do not like that he plays Rios everyday.

TommyGavinFloyd
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
He has 1 year left on his contract, thru 2012, why shouldn't he want an extension? Isn't it standard for managers with 1 year left to either be extended or fired?

You're exactly right but don't let that stop you from posting an idiotic picture. Go right ahead.

It took long enough but after 8 years of lurking/posting, this board has finally caught up to the official board on the Sox website. Congrats, that is quite a feat.

hawkjt
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
I know I am the exception,but I still like both Ozzie and Kenny,and hope they win this thing again this year,and extend them both.
Like kenny said tonite, winning is the only thing,and that needs to happen to make everyone happy. Go Sox.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
It took long enough but after 8 years of lurking/posting, this board has finally caught up to the official board on the Sox website. Congrats, that is quite a feat.What is this supposed to mean?

Lip Man 1
08-31-2011, 12:10 AM
JB and I were speculating a few days ago on if Ozzie was trying to pull a power play vs. Kenny.

This sure seems like one.

And according to Gonzo Kenny wasn't to happy when informed of Ozzie's "request."

I think Ozzie is bringing this to a boil now for reasons that are somewhat selfish in my opinion.

Lip

08-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Win the division and then we'll talk

Dan H
08-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Win the division and then we'll talk

Even then I wouldn't want talk about an extension. The current streak is great but this team spent the better part of four months under .500. This guy is in no position to demand anything. Division or no division, it is time for Ozzie to go.

tstrike2000
08-31-2011, 06:22 AM
JB and I were speculating a few days ago on if Ozzie was trying to pull a power play vs. Kenny.

This sure seems like one.

And according to Gonzo Kenny wasn't to happy when informed of Ozzie's "request."

I think Ozzie is bringing this to a boil now for reasons that are somewhat selfish in my opinion.

Lip

Selfish? Yeah, just a little. Perhaps the worst managing job of his career this year and he brings this up during the stretch run? He's a class act.

kobo
08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Didn't he do this around the same time last year? He wanted an extension last year as well and all they did was pick up the option. I'm getting tired of hearing about Ozzie all the time. The team is finally showing signs of life, it's been fun watching them over the last week, and then Guillen opens his big fat mouth and makes everything about him once again. I'm tired of him, his mouth, and his act.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Instead of focusing on the matter at hand like trying to win the division, this idiot starts this contract talk again. Guillen, go to Miami already and don't forget to take those clowns you have for sons with you.

soxfanreggie
08-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Tell him that he can feel free to ask the Sox to release him from his 2012 commitment if he doesn't want to be here. We won't even make him pay us to leave to Miami or wherever he'll go. If he wants to be here in 2013, he can come back at the helm when we make the playoffs next year. There is no reason to extend him again right now.

Fenway
08-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Mark Giangreco told Ozzie "up yours" on the recent newscast when MG mentioned Ozzie's demands.

Mark should worry about his own job as Disney wants to eliminate local sports on their owned stations and simply have Bristol do the segments. They have been doing SportsCenter Chicago on the web for 2 years. Their new contract with AFTRA allows them this option.

gobears1987
08-31-2011, 07:18 AM
If the Sox win the division, then give him the extension. If not, let him walk. Send Kenny packing too if the Sox fail to win the division.

Bucky F. Dent
08-31-2011, 07:39 AM
This pisses me off in more ways than I can put into words.

:angry:

asindc
08-31-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm guessing that Ozzie is laying the ground for a (somewhat) graceful exit, regardless of the season outcome. The timing is lousy, however.:mad: Good thing that the team seems to be in a groove finally.

Rocky Soprano
08-31-2011, 08:06 AM
If the Sox win the division, then give him the extension. If not, let him walk. Send Kenny packing too if the Sox fail to win the division.

**** that. If they do win the division its not because the Sox had a good year. They just sucked a little less than everyone else in the division.
Now had the Sox dominated the division like they were supposed to, then that would be a different story.

Ozzie only cares about himself. I hate that he is the face of the Sox organization.

cards press box
08-31-2011, 08:11 AM

If the Sox and Marlins worked out a deal, I hoped that Logan Morrison would come back toward Chicago. Morrison and the Marlins' brass have clashed and, who knows, maybe that does happen.

I know I am the exception,but I still like both Ozzie and Kenny,and hope they win this thing again this year,and extend them both.
Like kenny said tonite, winning is the only thing,and that needs to happen to make everyone happy. Go Sox.

It certainly could happen this way. But if I had to wager, I see it going down this way: (a) KW gets kicked upstairs, (b) Rick Hahn becomes the new general manager, (c) the Marlins offer the Sox sufficient compensation for the right to negotiate with Ozzie, (d) Ozzie goes to Miami and (e) Hahn hires a new manager.

Mark should worry about his own job as Disney wants to eliminate local sports on their owned stations and simply have Bristol do the segments. They have been doing SportsCenter Chicago on the web for 2 years. Their new contract with AFTRA allows them this option.

Very interesting. And it does make some sense from a business, standpoint. The local ABC stations would lose the presence of the sports guy on the set bantering with the anchors but, really, who cares about that? The Sports Center Chicago segment is at least as informative as Giangreco or the other local sports guys. As I said, very interesting.

:giangreco

What in the Wide World of Sports is going on?

MARTINMVP
08-31-2011, 08:24 AM
The Sox are currently on their longest winning streak of the season and are on the verge of fighting their way back into contention and Guillen decides to go public with his whining about not honoring his contract next year unless they give him an extension. What timing!

Yes, exactly!

And I have to disagree with what Chris Rongey (who I do typically like) said on 670 The Score last night in regards to what Ozzie said. Rongey said that Ozzie is only answering the questions he is asked by reporters. Ozzie is very candid and is going to answer the question.

Of course reporters are going to ask such questions. But, Ozzie is in the wrong by again putting himself in the spotlight and becoming the center of attention at this most critical time. He doesn't have to answer those questions, or he can half-answer without stirring all this open-ended speculation.

Ozzie is candid, but it doesn't excuse his lack of judgement.

Rocky Soprano
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
It certainly could happen this way. But if I had to wager, I see it going down this way: (a) KW gets kicked upstairs, (b) Rick Hahn becomes the new general manager, (c) the Marlins offer the Sox sufficient compensation for the right to negotiate with Ozzie, (d) Ozzie goes to Miami and (e) Hahn hires a new manager.

Someone posted that internally KW has made it known that he is not interested in being kicked upstairs so that Hahn can become the new GM.

My guess is that Ozzie will be gone and KW will survive at least another year.

roylestillman
08-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Looking at this a little less emotionally, it's pretty clear that the Sox do not want to go into 2012 with a manager on a one year contract. If you think the distractions are bad now, wait until this issue becomes front and center from the time pitchers and catchers report and onward. This is the month the Sox have to make that decision and I bet it is good-bye, primarily because the stars are aligning with the Marlins, which gives Jerry a fairly guilt free way of pulling the plug. I expect the exit by all Guillens is stlll going to be ugly and will keep their press agent, Mr. Cowley busy for months. Who we get as manager, who knows. The current ownership's track record has not been good. The LaRussa idea smells like Pinella and you'd have to take Duncan, which leaves Coop at the curb.

Less apparent to me is what to do about the GM situation. Living with Kenny after he has "won" may be worse than it is now. If there is fault here ( and in all honesty at the time they were made I thought the Dunn and Peavey moves were great) he shoulders a lot of the blame. If they don't promote Rich Hahn this time around, he won't be around in five weeks. If he is not your guy, then there seems to be a bumper crop of good candidates out there right now. The timing is too good not to make the move.

Finally, although it is none of my business, we are fast approaching the time when the big decision needs to be articulated. What are the succession plans regarding Jerry and the future ownership of this franchise. We saw the turmoil the Tribune/Zell/Ricketts transition resulted in on the other side of town. I would like to see things a little more orderly for us.

blandman
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
This is all moot because we're going to win the division and Ozzie will be extended.

cards press box
08-31-2011, 08:44 AM
This is all moot because we're going to win the division and Ozzie will be extended.

I like the optimism! If the Sox can keep winning and if the Tigers could lose a few games, could there be panic in Detroit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOU-QqWAtvw)?

Milw
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Looking at this a little less emotionally, it's pretty clear that the Sox do not want to go into 2012 with a manager on a one year contract. If you think the distractions are bad now, wait until this issue becomes front and center from the time pitchers and catchers report and onward. This is the month the Sox have to make that decision and I bet it is good-bye, primarily because the stars are aligning with the Marlins, which gives Jerry a fairly guilt free way of pulling the plug. I expect the exit by all Guillens is stlll going to be ugly and will keep their press agent, Mr. Cowley busy for months. Who we get as manager, who knows. The current ownership's track record has not been good. The LaRussa idea smells like Pinella and you'd have to take Duncan, which leaves Coop at the curb.

Less apparent to me is what to do about the GM situation. Living with Kenny after he has "won" may be worse than it is now. If there is fault here ( and in all honesty at the time they were made I thought the Dunn and Peavey moves were great) he shoulders a lot of the blame. If they don't promote Rich Hahn this time around, he won't be around in five weeks. If he is not your guy, then there seems to be a bumper crop of good candidates out there right now. The timing is too good not to make the move.

Finally, although it is none of my business, we are fast approaching the time when the big decision needs to be articulated. What are the succession plans regarding Jerry and the future ownership of this franchise. We saw the turmoil the Tribune/Zell/Ricketts transition resulted in on the other side of town. I would like to see things a little more orderly for us.
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Ozzie goes and Kenny stays (which, in my view, is the most likely scenario). Why then would Kenny sign off on hiring LaRussa, which would clearly be JR's pick and not his own? It would mark the second time that KW gave into JR's managerial pick. The first time, in 04, KW was still fairly new and he didn't have the track record to overrule his boss. Now, with a championship under his belt and having outlasted his nemesis, I can't see KW giving into another order from above. I also can't see JR making LaRussa's hiring an ultimatum, although I could be wrong.

I realize that's all uninformed speculation on my part, but I just can't see LaRussa managing here next year. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

g0g0
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
The man did bring the South Side a WS though. He knows what to do. I wonder if they should clean out the upper management and let Ozzie try it again.

Fenway
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Ozzie goes and Kenny stays (which, in my view, is the most likely scenario). Why then would Kenny sign off on hiring LaRussa, which would clearly be JR's pick and not his own? It would mark the second time that KW gave into JR's managerial pick. The first time, in 04, KW was still fairly new and he didn't have the track record to overrule his boss. Now, with a championship under his belt and having outlasted his nemesis, I can't see KW giving into another order from above. I also can't see JR making LaRussa's hiring an ultimatum, although I could be wrong.

I realize that's all uninformed speculation on my part, but I just can't see LaRussa managing here next year. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

LaRussa has to be on shaky ground in St. Louis after the Brewers just ran away with the division - yes injuries played a role but...

LaRussa and JR are said to be close. The Chairman has to have second guessed himself to death on allowing Hawk to fire Tony 25 years ago.

On the other hand the White Sox did make Ozzie the face of the franchise. Very few teams invite the fans to stay and watch the manager's press conference on the scoreboard like Chicago does.

We should have a better read on this in 5 days after the games in Detroit.

doublem23
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
On the other hand the White Sox did make Ozzie the face of the franchise. Very few fans invite the fans to stay and watch the manager's press conference on the scoreboard like Chicago does.

Yeah nobody does

asindc
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
LaRussa has to be on shaky ground in St. Louis after the Brewers just ran away with the division - yes injuries played a role but...

LaRussa and JR are said to be close. The Chairman has to have second guessed himself to death on allowing Hawk to fire Tony 25 years ago.

On the other hand the White Sox did make Ozzie the face of the franchise. Very few teams invite the fans to stay and watch the manager's press conference on the scoreboard like Chicago does.

We should have a better read on this in 5 days after the games in Detroit.

JR has been quoted that it was the biggest mistake he has made as owner of the Sox. Despite the fact that JR and LaRussa are close friends (I believe LaRussa warned JR off of Rasmus), I don't, however, think the desire to bring him back is as strong as it might have been in 2003.

slavko
08-31-2011, 09:16 AM
As far as stirring the pot goes, got a whole bunch of Cowleys Right Here On This Board. Saves me the trouble of going to the Sun-Times website.

Dibbs
08-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Let's win the division, get swept by the Yankees, and extend Ozzie. Genius!

Fenway
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
JR has been quoted that it was the biggest mistake he has made as owner of the Sox. Despite the fact that JR and LaRussa are close friends (I believe LaRussa warned JR off of Rasmus), I don't, however, think the desire to bring him back is as strong as it might have been in 2003.

Bill Madden in the NY Daily News says he has heard The Chairman is considering not only LaRussa but has someone else in mind to replace KW

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jerry-krause1.jpg?w=300

Steelrod
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
A classy manager's comments would be, I am focusing on the season and trying to win a division. This other stuff isn't on my mind right now.

GoGoCrede
08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah nobody does

I have to agree. Haven't gone to a lot of games this season, but I've noticed people don't linger a whole lot after the game. Of course, if we lose a bad one I usually make a beeline for the exit anyway, grumbling the whole way, so I might have missed scads of people listening to what Ozzie has to say.

tstrike2000
08-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I have to agree. Haven't gone to a lot of games this season, but I've noticed people don't linger a whole lot after the game. Of course, if we lose a bad one I usually make a beeline for the exit anyway, grumbling the whole way, so I might have missed scads of people listening to what Ozzie has to say.

I miss usually miss scads anyway the few times I do listen to him because he's in such a hurry to get out of there I don't understand 3/4 of what he's saying.

Noneck
08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Bill Madden in the NY Daily News says he has heard The Chairman is considering not only LaRussa but has someone else in mind to replace KW

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/jerry-krause1.jpg?w=300

Madden said Krause or thats your speculation?

KyWhiSoxFan
08-31-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure how this will all play out, but hope to god that it somehow means KW is gone. I can't stand him. As much as I dislike Ozzie, KW is to blame for the team on the field, and he has been a failed tinkerer since 2006. Every bad decision he has made has led to more moves that ended up poorly.

I almost--I said almost--feel bad for Ozzie because of the players KW has handed him. He wants one type, and KW gives him the opposite.

Maybe Ozzie can do us all a favor and ensure that KW is gone if he is booted.

asindc
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM

We're not the Twinkees.

Fenway
08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Madden said Krause or thats your speculation?

Madden said it - he is in semi-retirement but does some scouting for the White Sox.

My own speculation does not rule out someone who has said many times he would like to be a GM

http://blog.peterkupfer.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/stoney2.jpg

Milw
08-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Madden said it - he is in semi-retirement but does some scouting for the White Sox.

My own speculation does not rule out someone who has said many times he would like to be a GM

I'm inclined to give Kenny another shot with a manager of his own choosing, but I'd happily kick his butt to the curb for Steve Stone.

blandman
08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

What would losing to the Yankees have to do with Ozzie? The team on the field is incapable, no matter who's managing, of defeating that club in the playoffs.

Rocky Soprano
08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
The man did bring the South Side a WS though. He knows what to do. I wonder if they should clean out the upper management and let Ozzie try it again.

The Cubs have cleaned upper management so how about they take him?
The man did bring a WS to Chicago...

mjmcend
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM

The man did bring the South Side a WS though. He knows what to do. I wonder if they should clean out the on-the-field management and let KW try it again.

CLR01
08-31-2011, 10:34 AM
I almost--I said almost--feel bad for Ozzie because of the players KW has handed him. He wants one type, and KW gives him the opposite.

Maybe because Ozzie's "guys" suck?

The man did bring the South Side a WS though. He knows what to do. I wonder if they should clean out the on-the-field management and let KW try it again.

This team hasn't won **** since they got rid of B. Anderson.

slavko
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I could swear that he has said within the last week that he doesn't want any job with the letters "GM" after it. Anybody else remember it?

DirtySox
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM

No he doesn't. Krause was hired briefly as director of international scouting by the Sox, but he almost immediately stepped down and is now a special assistant to DiPoto in Arizona.

34 Inch Stick
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Correct. Florida's not going to send Mike Stanton or Morrison or anyone else of value to the Sox for Ozzie.

The best (fair) situation would be for Florida to buy out Ozzie's contract for 2012.

I woud much prefer a little salary relief, send Ozzie and Dunn.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Correct Krause (aka Crumbs) has no dealings with the White Sox.

Stone said on Chicago Tribune Live! that he has no desire nor interest in being a G.M. (I think he's looking for higher opportunities as in becoming a part owner of a team.)

And this to me is a pretty good column summing things up and placing "blame":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-reality-of-white-soxs-managergm-dynamic-20110831,0,5596759.column

Here's Phil Rogers thoughts:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-your-morning-phil-ozzie-hendry-byrnes-20110831,0,7131445.story

Lip

DirtySox
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Not sure if they have been posted yet, but both Ballantini and Rozner's articles on this matter call out Cowley's involvement. About time.

amsteel
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm guessing that Ozzie is laying the ground for a (somewhat) graceful exit, regardless of the season outcome. The timing is lousy, however.:mad: Good thing that the team seems to be in a groove finally.

100% agree, he wants to set himself up as the victim. "Of course I want to stay in Chicago, but they won't meet my somewhat arbitrary demands, so I'm gonna walk."

I like Ozzie, but this is the beginning of the end.

SI1020
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
A classy manager's comments would be, I am focusing on the season and trying to win a division. This other stuff isn't on my mind right now. You expect class, decorum or any of the basics of civilized behavior from Ozzie? I don't care what the Sox do or don't do the rest of the year. Please begone and take Walker with you.

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't care what the Sox do or don't do the rest of the year.Nice.

#1swisher
08-31-2011, 12:05 PM
If Ozzie, believes he is the "face of the franchise", I say, it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Get your group of investors together and make an offer, they can't refuse, and buy the team.

Blowhard...that's what I thought.

The Immigrant
08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Not sure if they have been posted yet, but both Ballantini and Rozner's articles on this matter call out Cowley's involvement. About time.

I thought both were really well done, particularly Ballantini's piece. Nice to see at least one beat writer call out Ozzie for his bull****.

Rocky Soprano
08-31-2011, 12:21 PM

Any links?

JB98
08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Any links?

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/30/11/Ballantini-A-tired-tale-ever-exhausting-/landing_insider_ballantini_loud3r.html?blockID=556 710&feedID=661

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110830/sports/708309638/

SI1020
08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice. I think you may have misunderstood me. Whenever quoting someone if you leave out what goes before and after you can bend or distort the meaning. So let me try again. If the Sox go on a tear and win the WS or if they tank and finish below .500, either way, I want both Guillen and Walker gone. Now feel free to rip me for that but if you thought I don't care whether the Sox win or not then you're wrong. I'm surprised someone of your stature and intellect would cherry pick a person's words to make him or her look bad. You know I'm pretty sure I never met anyone here, but I try as best I can within the limits of the internet and my own intelligence to try to get to know all of you. I would never assume you wanted the Sox to lose or didn't care. Lastly, it's been a moderately trying day, so if I misunderstood you, then use your mod powers to delete this.

Twin Killing
08-31-2011, 12:49 PM

How does SportsCenter Chicago work exactly? Do the anchors put a decidedly Chicago spin on the hourly update of all things Yankees-Red Sox?

I think Ozzie's time as White Sox skipper is coming to an end. Knowing Ozzie, (and his idiot sons) he won't go out without making it messy.

JB98
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
My reaction to Ozzie's crying? **** feelings. It's about winning. Those are the manager's own words, and he ought to adhere to them.

KW has made several mistakes the last few years, and like Ozzie, he is accountable for this disappointing season. But at least KW still gets it. He knows GM and managers are hired to be fired. He knows that winning cures all.

If the Sox don't come back and win the division, changes should be made. Certainly, the organization's decision-makers don't deserve contract extensions if the team fails to make the playoffs for a third straight year AND loses money hand over fist.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Given that Mark has been in the business since the mid 70's when he was known as Mark Del Grego and worked at WLKY in Louisville (I saw him all the time when he came to Lexington to cover UK) and has made more money than he needs for the rest of his life, I don't think he has a thing to worry about despite what some are postulating.

IT'S THE END OF LOCAL SPORTS AS WE KNOW IT!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip

Rocky Soprano
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/08/30/11/Ballantini-A-tired-tale-ever-exhausting-/landing_insider_ballantini_loud3r.html?blockID=556 710&feedID=661

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110830/sports/708309638/

Thanks!

Excellent articles.

thomas35forever
08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll just say that either Kenny or Ozzie will be gone once this season ends unless we pass Detroit. Both have legitimate reasons for being let go, so we'll have to see what JR decides to do with this.

dickallen15
08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Ozzie averages 85.37 wins a season . Terry Bevington won 85 games managing the 1996 White Sox. Jerry Manuel averaged 83.43 wins a year.

Manuel's teams ranked 18th,24th,26th, 16th,18th and 22nd in payroll the years he managed.

Ozzie's teams ranked 14th, 13th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 12th, 7th and 5th the years he's managed.

Those that really believe that Ozzie is the glue that keeps the team from becoming a joke are fooling themselves.

mjmcend
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Maybe because Ozzie's "guys" suck?

This team hasn't won **** since they got rid of B. Anderson.

I think you correctly identified the problem. How's your schedule looking starting in October? Any free time to consult?

mjmcend
08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Ozzie averages 85.37 wins a season . Terry Bevington won 85 games managing the 1996 White Sox. Jerry Manuel averaged 83.43 wins a year.

Manuel's teams ranked 18th,24th,26th, 16th,18th and 22nd in payroll the years he managed.

Ozzie's teams ranked 14th, 13th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 12th, 7th and 5th the years he's managed.

Those that really believe that Ozzie is the glue that keeps the team from becoming a joke are fooling themselves.

Good stuff. Thanks. That's pretty damning evidence with regards to both Ozzie and KW.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
My opinion has really taken a 180 in regards to Guillen. He really needs to go now. He is clearly baiting the Sox to fire him with his recent comments.

gobears1987
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM

You can't judge a team by payroll when 40+% of the payroll is Rios, Dunn, and Peavy.

kittle42
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
My opinion has really taken a 180 in regards to Guillen. He really needs to go now. He is clearly baiting the Sox to fire him with his recent comments.

It will end with a nice enough departure, I think - the whole thing is going to play out so that it looks very mutual. When it happens, I'll breathe a sigh of relief and say that at least something positive came of this 2011 horror show.

Nellie_Fox
08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I think you may have misunderstood me. Whenever quoting someone if you leave out what goes before and after you can bend or distort the meaning. So let me try again. If the Sox go on a tear and win the WS or if they tank and finish below .500, either way, I want both Guillen and Walker gone. Now feel free to rip me for that but if you thought I don't care whether the Sox win or not then you're wrong. I'm surprised someone of your stature and intellect would cherry pick a person's words to make him or her look bad. You know I'm pretty sure I never met anyone here, but I try as best I can within the limits of the internet and my own intelligence to try to get to know all of you. I would never assume you wanted the Sox to lose or didn't care. Lastly, it's been a moderately trying day, so if I misunderstood you, then use your mod powers to delete this.Yeah, I did read a different meaning into your post:

You expect class, decorum or any of the basics of civilized behavior from Ozzie? I don't care what the Sox do or don't do the rest of the year. Please begone and take Walker with you.That's the power of punctuation. Had you put a comma instead of a period after "rest of the year," it would have been a subordinate clause clarified by the following clause. With a period, it stands on its own, and I read it to mean that you had stopped caring about the Sox, AND that you wanted Ozzie and Walker gone. So, I wasn't cherry picking, I was just quoting the part that I thought was pertinent.

So, I hope we're cool now.

SI1020
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I did read a different meaning into your post:

That's the power of punctuation. Had you put a comma instead of a period after "rest of the year," it would have been a subordinate clause clarified by the following clause. With a period, it stands on its own, and I read it to mean that you had stopped caring about the Sox, AND that you wanted Ozzie and Walker gone. So, I wasn't cherry picking, I was just quoting the part that I thought was pertinent.

So, I hope we're cool now. We're fine and you're correct about the comma.

illinibk
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
And when these comments and his managerial performance don't get him fired, how long until he does this?

yngq9NmOnFw

Risk
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
With the managing job he did today in the 9th inning, I can't imagine how JR and KW wouldn't give him a contract extension. :rolleyes:

Risk

34 Inch Stick
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Ozzie lost the staredown last year. He will lose this one as well.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Some investment for two more wins a season. Very revealing numbers.

And unless JR personally steps in and fires Ozzie, makes the announcement himself...in other words if he lets Kenny handle it, I think it's going to be a very ugly split. If JR does it, handles the press conference and speaks with the media I think Ozzie will respect JR enough to go out with some class.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I see Ralph Kramden reading his mail and shouting, "He wants a reference?!! That bum wants a reference???!!!" :D:

Fenway
08-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I see Ralph Kramden reading his mail and shouting, "He wants a reference?!! That bum wants a reference???!!!" :D:
You guys need a laugh after the ninth today
fnp-zRahHX4

dickallen15
08-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Krause left the White Sox and works for the D Backs. There is no way he would be the Sox GM.

Tragg
08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Correct Krause (aka Crumbs) has no dealings with the White Sox.

Stone said on Chicago Tribune Live! that he has no desire nor interest in being a G.M. (I think he's looking for higher opportunities as in becoming a part owner of a team.)

And this to me is a pretty good column summing things up and placing "blame":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-reality-of-white-soxs-managergm-dynamic-20110831,0,5596759.column

Pretty decent article by Rosenbloom.

palehozenychicty
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Ozzie's timing couldn't have been worse. Well, it's not like we didn't know why he's been so inept managing the team this year. He's ready to move on and is calling management's bluff.

DickAllen72
08-31-2011, 11:09 PM
You guys need a laugh after the ninth today
fnp-zRahHX4
Thanks for posting that, Fenway. :cheers:

I can just picture KW reading the paper and exclaiming, "He wants an extension?! That bum wants an extension???!!!" :rolling:

cub killer
09-01-2011, 04:16 AM
Given that Mark has been in the business since the mid 70's when he was known as Mark Del Grego
:scratch: Why did he change his name? His current name is just as ethnic.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Cub:

Don't know the answer to that one.

Lip

voodoochile
09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Just fair warning if you attempt to move the spat about yesterday's game to this thread, I'll kill it too...

Noneck
09-01-2011, 12:34 PM
:scratch: Why did he change his name? His current name is just as ethnic.

And his brother Peter who is a political consultant changed his name to giangreco also? I bet Del Grego was just a stage name.