PDA

View Full Version : Video of Rios dogging it on 6th inning DP

PeteWard
08-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Why is this tolerated? http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_29_minmlb_chamlb_1&mode=wrap#!/video

If the link fails to go to the highlight, click the link "Twins turn two" .
The Minny announcer really gives it to Rios and deservedly so. Unbelievable.

hi im skot
08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
I've been all over Rios this season, but that didn't really seem like a big deal to me. :shrug:

PeteWard
08-29-2011, 11:58 PM
I've been all over Rios this season, but that didn't really seem like a big deal to me. :shrug:

You can't see it on the "live' feed; wait for the replay to see that he gives up one third of the way down the line and is out by half a step.

BainesHOF
08-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Pathetic.

Rios has dogged it well into the double digits this season. He should be benched even if he was hitting 100 points higher and yet Guillen keeps putting him out there ahead of more talented players who hustle, namely De Aza.

Why has Rios' dog show been tolerated for so long? Beat writers, do your job and ask Guillen this question in a direct manner.

Tragg
08-30-2011, 12:46 AM
The Twins announcers sure thought he was dogging it.
He just jogged down the line...not sure he'd have beaten it out as the fielders were taking their time too.

Aesero
08-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Not the first time its happened. Maybe Guillen will teach him a lesson and give him another 1 day benching!

If you're doing a ****ty job hitting and fielding that's one thing. At least act like you're trying play the goddamned game.

PeteWard
08-30-2011, 12:51 AM
The Twins announcers sure thought he was dogging it.
He just jogged down the line...not sure he'd have beaten it out as the fielders were taking their time too.

One of the reasons you run hard is to make the fielders hurry, thus increasing the chances of a bad throw or a bobble. Another reason is you are making millions in a profession that most men would give their left nut to be in. It's nauseating.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't remember if it was this particular play or not, because I was attending to my dogs at the moment, but I heard the Sox fans booing, and heard Blyleven (not Bremer, as in that video) saying something to the effect of "Rios was not hustling down the line. Chicago has knowledgeable baseball fans; they aren't going to tolerate that."

pudge
08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Rios has dogged it in many instances, although I tend to give MLB players a little slack on this subject. You have to be smart about when to push it over a 162 game season. I know these guys are in great shape, but you can't sprint out every play, every game - you'll be pulling muscles constantly. There was a play on Morel's bad throw where Paulie pulled back and Steve Stone credited him for not risking injury on the play. He could have taken a chance and made the play, but it wasn't worth it at that point in the game.

BainesHOF
08-30-2011, 01:22 AM
rios has dogged it in many instances, although i tend to give mlb players a little slack on this subject. You have to be smart about when to push it over a 162 game season. I know these guys are in great shape, but you can't sprint out every play, every game - you'll be pulling muscles constantly.

b.s.

hawkjt
08-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Ozzie should give him tomorrow off anyway, with a righty going. He probably should not play much the rest of the way with rightys on the mound. Throw DeAza in center,and Dayan/Carlos/Lilly in right.

The fans were booing Rios on every at bat. I am not a big fan of that,but it is frustrating to watch his faux-swing day after day...it is like he is posing.

PeteWard
08-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Rios has dogged it in many instances, although I tend to give MLB players a little slack on this subject. You have to be smart about when to push it over a 162 game season. I know these guys are in great shape, but you can't sprint out every play, every game - you'll be pulling muscles constantly. There was a play on Morel's bad throw where Paulie pulled back and Steve Stone credited him for not risking injury on the play. He could have taken a chance and made the play, but it wasn't worth it at that point in the game.

They are five out with less than a month to go. There is no margin for error so they should be going 100% on every play. He needs to sit if he thinks otherwise.

TomBradley72
08-30-2011, 04:58 AM
They are five out with less than a month to go. There is no margin for error so they should be going 100% on every play. He needs to sit if he thinks otherwise.

Exactly- this wasn't a blow out or a meaningless late season game.

It was a low scoring/close game with the team hanging by a thread.

Rios has been called out by our announcers as well as the Twins, Indians and A's announcers- I can't remember a White Sox player every being called out for a lack of hustle like Rios has been.

With De Aza/Viciedo/Lillibridge all legit options in the OF- and with PK back at 1st base- there's absolutely no excuse for Guillen to be tolerating this and playing Rios.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2011, 04:59 AM

Did you ever watch Pete Rose play. They didn't call him Charlie Hustle for nothing. Nellie Fox played hard all the time. Our own Juan Pierre runs hard all the time. TCQ never dogs it.
Rios is a dog and should be put on the bench along with Dunn the rest of the year, they can compare notes on how they are going screw the Sox again next year.

soxfan1965
08-30-2011, 05:33 AM
The announcer seems well aware of Rios and seems to have been talking about the Sox feeling that "we don't want anything back, just take his contract". Then, as if to validate his point, he sees Rios "poor effort" of "guilding down" the basepaths casually and says "this is one of the reasons they were happy to get rid of his contract in Toronto". I wish there was a way to suspend the guy for 30 days without pay like they did Zambrano. It has to cost him dearly for him to wake up, just benching him apparently doesn't work, as long as his big paycheck comes in. If this is due to nursing an injury, let the fans know, but the announcer sees a well established pattern with Rios in Tornoto. I hope the press puts this front page, and at the very least Guillen rebukes him publically.

doublem23
08-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Looked like he ran that one out pretty hard actually

Irishsox1
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
That's Rios, that's what you get. It's his defense that gets me upset. If a ball goes anywhere near the wall, he gives up on it. I still say the Sox would be better off eating his contract and cutting him....of course it's not my money.

Chez
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Unless they are injured or catching on a hot day, it's not asking too much to demand that players bust it down the line during their four at bats per game -- especially in a close game. Boooo!

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Did you ever watch Pete Rose play. They didn't call him Charlie Hustle for nothing. Nellie Fox played hard all the time. Our own Juan Pierre runs hard all the time. TCQ never dogs it.
Rios is a dog and should be put on the bench along with Dunn the rest of the year, they can compare notes on how they are going screw the Sox again next year.Jim Thome, as slow and lumbering as he is, always ran hard. Jermaine Dye, on the other hand, always went to first like a senior mall-walker on anything hit in the infield. At least a dozen times in his Sox tenure the infielder bobbled the ball and he would have been safe had he even jogged. I don't think anybody expects the players to sprint to 1B on a flyout, but they should do more than just jog to 1B.

Milw
08-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't remember if it was this particular play or not, because I was attending to my dogs at the moment, but I heard the Sox fans booing, and heard Blyleven (not Bremer, as in that video) saying something to the effect of "Rios was not hustling down the line. Chicago has knowledgeable baseball fans; they aren't going to tolerate that."
The fact that there's a question about which play he was dogging that we're talking about kind of says all that needs to be said.

enurb
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Inexcusable. Intolerable. Period.

24thStFan
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Rios has been an albatross strangling this team all year. Bench him! It's past time to send the message that the Sox will only tolerate players with passion for the game. We're in a pennant race for crying out loud.

#1swisher
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Why is this tolerated? http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_29_minmlb_chamlb_1&mode=wrap#!/video (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_29_minmlb_chamlb_1&mode=wrap#%21/video)

If the link fails to go to the highlight, click the link "Twins turn two" .
The Minny announcer really gives it to Rios and deservedly so. Unbelievable.

The link brings me to Sox highlights, not low lights. :scratch:

HangWiffum
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Another piece of evidence in the case against Ozzie and Kenny. Can i blame them for his performance? No. I blame them for claiming him off waivers for some rediculous reason and for enabling him to continue to be a dog on the field by continuously playing him after these types of incidents.

sox1970
08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I heard something about Rios getting into it with a fan in the 8th inning last night. Anyone got any info on this?

asindc
08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Another piece of evidence in the case against Ozzie and Kenny. Can i blame them for his performance? No. I blame them for claiming him off waivers for some rediculous reason and for enabling him to continue to be a dog on the field by continuously playing him after these types of incidents.

The 'ridiculous' reason was because KW wanted to upgrade the CF position without having to trade anyone to do it. You might have disagreed that his salary made the transaction worthwhile, but there was solid rationale for the move.

HangWiffum
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
He made the move to block Detroit (as kenny thought for some reason) from getting Rios. NOT to have him play for the sox.

mzh
08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
He made the move to block Detroit (as kenny thought for some reason) from getting Rios. NOT to have him play for the sox.
That is pure BULL ****. I don't know if you think Kenny is some ****ing 12 year old playing a video game, but some people sure act like it. The sox were in a playoff race in August 2009 and there was no way they were going to win with DeWayne Wise playing Center Field.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 10:51 AM
He made the move to block Detroit (as kenny thought for some reason) from getting Rios. NOT to have him play for the sox.No, that's bull. Complete and utter bull. He was a GM for 8 years at that point. He knew the rules of the waiver wire. He had discussions with Toronto about Rios a few weeks earlier before the July deadline, so he wanted Rios. Everybody knew Toronto wasn't happy with Rios and was looking to unload his contract. He knew in putting in the claim that the most likely scenario was Toronto saying "he's yours." The Sox claimed Rios because they wanted him to play on their team, not because Kenny is some bumbling buffoon who doesn't understand basic rules of his job.
http://bootlegchisports.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/huey1.jpg
"Whaddaya mean we get Rios? Uh Oh. Jerry's gonna be reeeeeeeeeal mad."

enurb
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
If you are correct that KW actually picked up Rios on merit because he wanted him at that ludicrous contract price (and not because he was trying to block somebody), then that is actually a greater condemnation of KW. Rios was not even playing CF at the time. He also had a .744 OPS that year for Toronoto (2009) and he was coming off a mediocre 2008. He had also earned a reputation as an underachiever and dead weight.

So, KW either got burned by the waiver wire, or he's an idiot. Take your pick. Either way, a very bad move that we continue to pay for.

captain54
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
If you'll look at the clip on that page "Santos 27th save", when Rios catches that fly ball for the final out of the game, it looks to me like he
was ready to throw that ball back into the infield, like he thought there were only two outs.

Milw
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
If you'll look at the clip on that page "Santos 27th save", when Rios catches that fly ball for the final out of the game, it looks to me like he
was ready to throw that ball back into the infield, like he thought there were only two outs.
He was doing his stupid after-inning game of catch with Pierre that they always do.

Rios is quickly ascending my list of all-time least favorite Sox players. In fact, he might now have the number 2 spot behind The Choice.

tstrike2000
08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
He's dogged it all season, so if last night was another example, it's just par for the course.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
If you are correct that KW actually picked up Rios on merit because he wanted him at that ludicrous contract price (and not because he was trying to block somebody), then that is actually a greater condemnation of KW. Rios was not even playing CF at the time. He also had a .744 OPS that year for Toronoto (2009) and he was coming off a mediocre 2008. He had also earned a reputation as an underachiever and dead weight.

So, KW either got burned by the waiver wire, or he's an idiot. Take your pick. Either way, a very bad move that we continue to pay for.First off, Rios' contract has been overstated here since day one. Yes, it's big. No, it isn't the a Barry Zito or Mike Hampton level. The Sox got him knowing he could play excellent defense in CF (he was only playing RF in Toronto because they had Wells). Obviously, Rios' head is so far up his butt that he has played poor defense this year, but he is normally great. Great defense in CF plus what Rios did in 2008 isn't too far off from $12 mil a year. Add in the fact that Rios is immensely talented and the Sox hoped that a change of scenery would help Rios. Was it a risky acquisition? Certainly. However, your assessment is dead wrong.

russ99
08-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I think the whole "Rios dogging it running" thing is totally overblown.

That's the way he runs. Look at clips of when the Sox got him and when he was doing well with the team last year. It's the exact same gait, and he still runs faster than most of the players on the team.

Some fans take issue since he's doesn't run Fisk-like to every base on every play like his life depends on it, but big leaguers nowadays don't do that. A.J. has a similar running style and nobody ever called him out for lack of effort...

My issues with Rios are letting balls fall in on plays where it seems obvious he could make the catch with some hustle; alligator arming catches; throwing balls into the infield when there's a shot at catching a player advancing; failing to take extra bases and poor at-bats at the plate.

asindc
08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
First off, Rios' contract has been overstated here since day one. Yes, it's big. No, it isn't the a Barry Zito or Mike Hampton level. The Sox got him knowing he could play excellent defense in CF (he was only playing RF in Toronto because they had Wells). Obviously, Rios' head is so far up his butt that he has played poor defense this year, but he is normally great. Great defense in CF plus what Rios did in 2008 isn't too far off from $12 mil a year. Add in the fact that Rios is immensely talented and the Sox hoped that a change of scenery would help Rios. Was it a risky acquisition? Certainly. However, your assessment is dead wrong.

You forgot to mention Vernon Wells, J.D. Drew, A.J. Burnett, Jason Giambi (with the NYY), and John Lackey. What kind of idiots signed those guys, anyway?

KMcMahon817
08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
First off, Rios' contract has been overstated here since day one. Yes, it's big. No, it isn't the a Barry Zito or Mike Hampton level. The Sox got him knowing he could play excellent defense in CF (he was only playing RF in Toronto because they had Wells). Obviously, Rios' head is so far up his butt that he has played poor defense this year, but he is normally great. Great defense in CF plus what Rios did in 2008 isn't too far off from $12 mil a year. Add in the fact that Rios is immensely talented and the Sox hoped that a change of scenery would help Rios. Was it a risky acquisition? Certainly. However, your assessment is dead wrong.

What he said. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Rios. He is an overpaid lolly-gagging POS, but he is not this bad. The year he gave the SOX last year is easily worth 12M on the open market.

As for the play, that looked pretty routine for most ballplayers. Sure, he wasn't sprinting, but he was actually moving decently quick down the line. He's dogged it much harder than that this season.

I still think he should only play against against LHP, and honestly, once TCQ comes back, maybe it is time to sit him down for the year. Him and Dunn just need a fresh start next season.

hawkjt
08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
What he said. Don't get me wrong, I dislike Rios. He is an overpaid lolly-gagging POS, but he is not this bad. The year he gave the SOX last year is easily worth 12M on the open market.

As for the play, that looked pretty routine for most ballplayers. Sure, he wasn't sprinting, but he was actually moving decently quick down the line. He's dogged it much harder than that this season.

I still think he should only play against against LHP, and honestly, once TCQ comes back, maybe it is time to sit him down for the year. Him and Dunn just need a fresh start next season.

I agree. Last year at this time we were talking of him being the best centerfielder the Sox have had in forever. This year is simply inexplicable,almost as much for Rios's defense as Dunn's bat. Rios was a great centerfielder last year,and bad this year...go figure.

slavko
08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Exactly- this wasn't a blow out or a meaningless late season game.

It was a low scoring/close game with the team hanging by a thread.

Rios has been called out by our announcers as well as the Twins, Indians and A's announcers- I can't remember a White Sox player every being called out for a lack of hustle like Rios has been.

With De Aza/Viciedo/Lillibridge all legit options in the OF- and with PK back at 1st base- there's absolutely no excuse for Guillen to be tolerating this and playing Rios.

John Rooney called out Magglio for not running out groundouts. Deserved it too, moreso than Rios on this particular play.

enurb
08-30-2011, 01:48 PM

The numbers don't lie. First, it's not a $12M contract. At time KW picked him up, it was a $69.5M contract (i.e., roughly $12M over 6 years). That's insane for a guy coming off a season and half of poor and diminshed play and attitude problems, not to mention that he wasn't even a CF at the time. Risky yes. Dumb too. Second, the proof is in the pudding -- in 1,165 White Sox ABs, Rios has hit a paltry 32 HR and a lowly .245 BA. He also has 129 RBIs for the Sox, which is about 1 every 10 ABs? Want more -- how about his .299 OBA for the Sox. We can get triple AAA to do that for less than $1M per year. His defense is nothing special, as also could have and should have been predicted.

It was dumb at the time. My assessment coincides with every other GM in MLB who passed on assuming this contract. It also is confirmed by the results.

asindc
08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
The numbers don't lie. First, it's not a $12M contract. At time KW picked him up, it was a $69.5M contract (i.e., roughly $12M over 6 years). That's insane for a guy coming off a season and half of poor and diminshed play and attitude problems, not to mention that he wasn't even a CF at the time. Risky yes. Dumb too. Second, the proof is in the pudding -- in 1,165 White Sox ABs, Rios has hit a paltry 32 HR and a lowly .245 BA. He also has 129 RBIs for the Sox, which is about 1 every 10 ABs? Want more -- how about his .299 OBA for the Sox. We can get triple AAA to do that for less than $1M per year. His defense is nothing special, as also could have and should have been predicted.

It was dumb at the time. My assessment coincides with every other GM in MLB who passed on assuming this contract. It also is confirmed by the results.

Well, since no other GM acquires a player making this kind of money and gets these kinds of results, what do you propose the Sox do with KW?

SI1020
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM

It was dumb at the time. My assessment coincides with every other GM in MLB who passed on assuming this contract. It also is confirmed by the results. My sentiments exactly.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 03:07 PM

It was dumb at the time. My assessment coincides with every other GM in MLB who passed on assuming this contract. It also is confirmed by the results.Once again, Rios wasn't playing CF only because Wells was there. He was known to be an excellent CF defensively. He was great in the field last year. This year has been another story. What Rios gave the Sox last year was worth close to $12 mil. What Rios gave Toronto in 06,07 and 08 was worth $12 mil. And showing his numbers with the Sox proved nothing. Nobody is arguing he has been great with the Sox. But he is an extremely talented player who had a slightly down year in 2008 and wasn't terrible in 2009 before coming to the Sox. He needed a change of scenery, and the Sox gambled that he would live up to his talent. His performance in either of those years didn't show that he would hit .035 or slug .064 below his previous career low this year. And he was thought to have a bad attitude in Toronto? Playing under psycho John Gibbons who started a fist fight with Ted Lily? Go figure. Lots of players are "cancers" in one town before leaving and playing better in another. The Sox took a gamble that Rios would rebound and play up to his potential, and he hasn't for most of his time here. It isn't close to this historic mistake you are making it out to be.

enurb
08-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Once again, Rios wasn't playing CF only because Wells was there. He was known to be an excellent CF defensively. He was great in the field last year. This year has been another story. What Rios gave the Sox last year was worth close to $12 mil. What Rios gave Toronto in 06,07 and 08 was worth $12 mil. And showing his numbers with the Sox proved nothing. Nobody is arguing he has been great with the Sox. But he is an extremely talented player who had a slightly down year in 2008 and wasn't terrible in 2009 before coming to the Sox. He needed a change of scenery, and the Sox gambled that he would live up to his talent. His performance in either of those years didn't show that he would hit .035 or slug .064 below his previous career low this year. And he was thought to have a bad attitude in Toronto? Playing under psycho John Gibbons who started a fist fight with Ted Lily? Go figure. Lots of players are "cancers" in one town before leaving and playing better in another. The Sox took a gamble that Rios would rebound and play up to his potential, and he hasn't for most of his time here. It isn't close to this historic mistake you are making it out to be.

Have fun watching him for the duration of that contract. The signing immediately made the franchise worse and the risk was completely unnecessary. It will hamper us for years.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Have fun watching him for the duration of that contract. The signing immediately made the franchise worse and the risk was completely unnecessary. It will hamper us for years.First, it wasn't a signing, it was a waiver trade. But no, it didn't make us immediately worse. Rios had a good year last year. He is an extremely talented player who was really good in 2006-07, pretty good in 2008 and 2010, and alright in 2009 before coming to the Sox. You are acting like he is an untalented hack who never contributed anything. He hasn't lived up to his talent yet, and his play has hurt the team immensely this season, but don't act like Kenny is paying $12 mil a year on D'Angelo Jimenez.

ChiSoxGirl
08-30-2011, 09:53 PM

I saw this when I was watching the game last night. :rolleyes: That guy is such a lazy ass. It's not bad enough that he dogs it. His head has to be up in the clouds, too? OMG, does he suck!

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
I was at the game tonight and Rios certainly took his time running down to first on his first "hit" in the bottom of the fourth (which looked like a double play ball at first until it bounced off the third baseman's glove). Then in the fifth on Cuddyer's single up the middle with Mauer at second, Mauer actually broke BACK to second but Rios just strolled over to the ball and lackadaisically threw the ball to Alexei allowing Mauer to score with ease and they BARELY had a play on Cuddyer. Rios is hurting this team on both offense and defense.

PeteWard
08-31-2011, 12:24 AM

That's the way he runs. Look at clips of when the Sox got him and when he was doing well with the team last year. It's the exact same gait, and he still runs faster than most of the players on the team.

Some fans take issue since he's doesn't run Fisk-like to every base on every play like his life depends on it, but big leaguers nowadays don't do that. A.J. has a similar running style and nobody ever called him out for lack of effort...

My issues with Rios are letting balls fall in on plays where it seems obvious he could make the catch with some hustle; alligator arming catches; throwing balls into the infield when there's a shot at catching a player advancing; failing to take extra bases and poor at-bats at the plate.

I am aware of his running style but that is not why I posted this. Watch the replay --- the second one. It is as clear as day that he lets up about one third of the way down the line and he never turns it back on. He had a chance to beat it. No excuse.

enurb
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
First, it wasn't a signing, it was a waiver trade. But no, it didn't make us immediately worse. Rios had a good year last year. He is an extremely talented player who was really good in 2006-07, pretty good in 2008 and 2010, and alright in 2009 before coming to the Sox. You are acting like he is an untalented hack who never contributed anything. He hasn't lived up to his talent yet, and his play has hurt the team immensely this season, but don't act like Kenny is paying $12 mil a year on D'Angelo Jimenez.

It made the franchise worse because it tied up significant dollars for years that could have been used elsewhere. It was also the equivalent of a signing - we knew the contract and we assumed it. To me, it was not wise to throw that kind of money, for that long a period, for a player with Rios' pedigree and known blemishes. Reasonable minds can disagree.

Rios is a talented guy who gets paid a lot of money to play baseball. He's not a ballplayer. I'd reserve the contracts of that magnitude and duration for ballplayers.

I generally like KW, but not this decision. I thought Teahen was dumb at the time too, as well as his decision not to re-sign Thome and go with Andruw Jones (and KW's decision to blame Ozzie for that move). Other than that, KW is fine by me.
`

pudge
08-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Amen. Fans have no idea what a guy might be playing with too. He might not be injured, but he might have nagging soreness, that if he were to go all out all the time, he injures something. Play hard but play smart. I'm not saying Rios doesn't dog it sometimes, I am not defending him, but the fan reaction to supposed "dogging" it by guys who are grinding out 162 baseball games is always overblown.