PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/26 Sox beat Mariners 4-2

ShooterMcGavin
08-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Peavy with the win. Lillibridge with a 2-run home run.

SoxSpeed22
08-27-2011, 12:33 AM
15 Punchouts for Sox pitching tonight. Nice stuff.

BleacherBandit
08-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Lillibridge with more home runs than Adam Dunn.

Yikes.

PeteWard
08-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Lillibridge with more home runs than Adam Dunn.

Yikes.

Game would still be going on if Dunn played.

I want to get excited and if Det or Cle had lost today I might have. But still feeling blah about this team. Get it down to four back quickly and I will perk up.

thomas35forever
08-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Just because I'm greedy, let's sweep this series.

johnnyg83
08-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Lillibridge had a .506 SLG BEFORE tonight. Dunn has a .292 SLG

doublem23
08-27-2011, 01:17 AM

Up to .515 now!

hawkjt
08-27-2011, 01:31 AM
So tomorrow nite,even with a righthander pitching, Ozzie cannot play Dunn,right? Lilly should get another two starts in Seattle,in front of his folks,while he is hot. Put DeAza in center and Viciedo in right? Rios did have two hits tonite...

Sox need to win all three in Seattle, and hope that somehow the twins get at least one in Minny...leaving the Sox 5 back in the loss column. Then go sweep minny,and Detroit...and get within a couple in the loss column by the end of next week....please let this happen,baseball gods. There is little pennant race excitement at this point with only the two west races having any drama...c'mon baseball gods..fix that!

The one thing is that both Cleveland and the Sox play the tigers some 13 times combined, so if they both get hot vs the Tigers they can pull them back in...if the fricking tigers ever lose to minny and kc.

Sox did not hit great tonite,but clutch pitching saved the day.
That baseloaded no out situation for the Sox that resulted in zero runs could have haunted them.

Foulke You
08-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Jake looked shaky early but rebounded to pitch a solid game. Not sure what else Lillibridge needs to do to crack this sad sack lineup. Nice start to the series. Now win 2 more and come home and sweep the Twins.

Also, I really enjoy Hawk and Wimpy together. They still have great chemistry and it really makes me nostalgic.

hawkjt
08-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Jake looked shaky early but rebounded to pitch a solid game. Not sure what else Lillibridge needs to do to crack this sad sack lineup. Nice start to the series. Now win 2 more and come home and sweep the Twins.

Also, I really enjoy Hawk and Wimpy together. They still have great chemistry and it really makes me nostalgic.

Wimpy gets Hawk in a silly mood,but I agree, it is like slipping into an old pair of comfortable shoes....or Mac and cheese mom made...comfort food for the baseball soul,that is kind of battered at this point in the season.

It drives all the Hawk detractors crazy but I do not mind hearing the stories like the Big Hurt hitting two homers in Toronto off of ''a low outside slider and then a high inside fastball''....aahhh,good times!..

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-27-2011, 11:46 AM

$56M sure doesn't go as far as it used to, does it?

But in all seriousness, that is just nauseating. That's a total embarrassment.

guillensdisciple
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Was on a two week hiatus and the Sox are exactly where they were when i left except further back in the division. No big deal.

kufram
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM

It's been shown on more than one occasion that Lillibridge can be played too much and it hurts him and the team. There are lots of things that can be questioned about Ozzie's use of players but his handling of Lillibridge has been exactly right for the player and the team in my opinion.

kufram
08-27-2011, 01:44 PM
So tomorrow nite,even with a righthander pitching, Ozzie cannot play Dunn,right? Lilly should get another two starts in Seattle,in front of his folks,while he is hot. Put DeAza in center and Viciedo in right? Rios did have two hits tonite...

Sox need to win all three in Seattle, and hope that somehow the twins get at least one in Minny...leaving the Sox 5 back in the loss column. Then go sweep minny,and Detroit...and get within a couple in the loss column by the end of next week....please let this happen,baseball gods. There is little pennant race excitement at this point with only the two west races having any drama...c'mon baseball gods..fix that!

The one thing is that both Cleveland and the Sox play the tigers some 13 times combined, so if they both get hot vs the Tigers they can pull them back in...if the fricking tigers ever lose to minny and kc.

Sox did not hit great tonite,but clutch pitching saved the day.
That baseloaded no out situation for the Sox that resulted in zero runs could have haunted them.

Maybe Detroit will trip up (like they must have all year or they'd be leading this thing by a lot more) or the injury bug will hit them also. If it happens (or even if it doesn't happen) we just need to win our games. That is all we can do. The good thing is that we have enough games against the right people to do it. The bad thing is we don't have any games to spare.

PalehosePlanet
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Wimpy gets Hawk in a silly mood,but I agree, it is like slipping into an old pair of comfortable shoes....or Mac and cheese mom made...comfort food for the baseball soul,that is kind of battered at this point in the season.

It drives all the Hawk detractors crazy but I do not mind hearing the stories like the Big Hurt hitting two homers in Toronto off of ''a low outside slider and then a high inside fastball''....aahhh,good times!..

I agree totally. I also have always loved Wimpy's self deprecating sense of humor.

I watched the re-broadcast of the game and he had me laughing right from the the get-go. When Rios shanked that bloop double down the right field line he said it brought tears to his eyes. Talking about that's how he used to hit them, and that it made him nostalgic.

Then after Alexei blooped a jam-shot for a hit, he was musing sarcastically how we were "killing the ball."

I definitely miss that. Stoney is a good analyst, with a decent enough sense of humor, but he comes of condescending and pompous at times. I guess that I just like Wimpy's personality a lot more.

Remember back in the late '90's when he said he didn't want the nickname Wimpy anymore and wanted something more tough and masculine sounding instead? He decided he wanted the nickname "Duke" and Hawk nearly choked to death laughing.

LongLiveFisk
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree totally. I also have always loved Wimpy's self deprecating sense of humor.

I watched the re-broadcast of the game and he had me laughing right from the the get-go. When Rios shanked that bloop double down the right field line he said it brought tears to his eyes. Talking about that's how he used to hit them, and that it made him nostalgic.

Then after Alexei blooped a jam-shot for a hit, he was musing sarcastically how we were "killing the ball."

I definitely miss that. Stoney is a good analyst, with a decent enough sense of humor, but he comes of condescending and pompous at times. I guess that I just like Wimpy's personality a lot more.

Remember back in the late '90's when he said he didn't want the nickname Wimpy anymore and wanted something more tough and masculine sounding instead? He decided he wanted the nickname "Duke" and Hawk nearly choked to death laughing.

Love Wimpy's sense of humor. Once of my all-time favorite lines of his is, "If you paid for it, it cost too much." :lol:

WisSoxFan
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Love Wimpy's sense of humor. Once of my all-time favorite lines of his is, "If you paid for it, it cost too much." :lol:

Me too. I use that line quite often and try to credit Wimpy when I do.

hawkjt
08-27-2011, 04:43 PM
or ''take two,they're small'' on a 3-0 count.

slavko
08-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Funny, and he has the light touch, but a steady diet of cliches would get you in the mood for Stone again. Stone doesn't have that regular guy sound, true enough.

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
On the same lines, I miss "Aww shucks...You paid too much!" by Dave Wills!

Foulke You
08-27-2011, 06:33 PM
It's been shown on more than one occasion that Lillibridge can be played too much and it hurts him and the team. There are lots of things that can be questioned about Ozzie's use of players but his handling of Lillibridge has been exactly right for the player and the team in my opinion.
Lillibridge is the hot hitter. Even if you don't believe Lillibridge can be an every day player, surely you subscribe to the idea of a hitter who is locked in. Ride him while he is hot and put him back on the bench when he gets cold if you want. I don't believe Ozzie has handled Lillibridge well at all this year. We really don't know what he can do every day because he hasn't had the chance. You very well may be right about him but if he doesn't play, how do we know? Also, our other 1B option is hitting .169 right now....