PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Rooftop Club Files For Bankruptcy To Block Auction

Fenway
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/26/wrigley-rooftop-club-files-for-bankruptcy-to-block-auction/

The club in question is known for
http://www.lakeviewbaseballclub.com/gif/whameanpop01.gif

amsteel
08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
No one wanted to pay $250 to get e-coli? Blame the fans.

kittle42
08-26-2011, 03:06 PM
No one wanted to pay $250 to get e-coli? Blame the fans.

Rooftop games are really fun.

Like really, they are fun!

amsteel
08-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Rooftop games are really fun.

Like really, they are fun!

I'm sure they are, but so are 21$ patio parties at USCF...or tailgating.

I've never been to a rooftop, but for it to really be worth it after beers, food, and a ticket, it would have to be less than 100$, which they are only for some night games in April and September.

Also, according to this article:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-08-13/business/ct-met-wrigley-rooftops-20100812_1_rooftop-ticket-rooftop-owners-rooftop-seats

They are paying $32K a month in mortgage, perhaps making investments on a product that only occurs half the time 6 months a year is not wise.

kittle42
08-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm sure they are, but so are 21$ patio parties at USCF...or tailgating.

I've never been to a rooftop, but for it to really be worth it after beers, food, and a ticket, it would have to be less than 100$, which they are only for some night games in April and September.

Groupon rules. Even got Sox/Cubs this season for $89.

I would agree that about $100 is break-even. It really is worth it, though, and far, far, far better than the Patio Parties.

FielderJones
08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
It really is worth it, though, and far, far, far better than the Patio Parties.

Go join your Cubs fan buddies at North Side Baseball. :tongue:

amsteel
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Groupon rules. Even got Sox/Cubs this season for $89.

I would agree that about $100 is break-even. It really is worth it, though, and far, far, far better than the Patio Parties.

How is the view? I would assume most of the outfield is cut off.

DumpJerry
08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I hear the view is great. You stand by the drinks and you get a nice look at all the wonderful people at the party.

Sometimes, just very rarely, there is a rumor at the party that there is a baseball game of some sort across the street, but who cares about that when there's beer to be drunk to kill the e.coli you just ingested from the hot dogs?

kittle42
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM

You can see the entire field at most of the places. The ones in the RF corner and CF, though, do have some of the OF cut off.

I hear the view is great. You stand by the drinks and you get a nice look at all the wonderful people at the party.

Sometimes, just very rarely, there is a rumor at the party that there is a baseball game of some sort across the street, but who cares about that when there's beer to be drunk to kill the e.coli you just ingested from the hot dogs?

Hey, totally agree on the stereotype, but it really is an enjoyable experience.

Frontman
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
A business going under, that based its revenue on following a product known more for its failure than its success in this current economy?

SHOCKING!!!!

Not really surprising, given the state of the Cubs, the feelings towards the Ricketts, and the economy. People can't afford to over-pay for entertainment right now.

dickallen15
09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Its not that bad. I wouldn't do the groupons though. The roof gets way too crowded.

PatK
09-06-2011, 03:06 PM
What kills me is most of the people that seem to love the view from the rooftops always rip on the views UD of the Cell, where you are actually in the park.

kittle42
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
What kills me is most of the people that seem to love the view from the rooftops always rip on the views UD of the Cell, where you are actually in the park.

I admittedly fall into this category. Of course, if I got unlimited beer and food in the upper deck of the Cell, I wouldn't care how bad the seat was!

asindc
09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I admittedly fall into this category. Of course, if I got unlimited beer and food in the upper deck of the Cell, I wouldn't care how bad the seat was!

Maybe you're on to something there. (Half teal only.)

kittle42
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Maybe you're on to something there. (Half teal only.)

Might take care of the attendance problem, as half the seats would need to be filled with security.

Red Barchetta
09-17-2011, 11:38 PM
If the Cubs and the Rooftop Owners really wanted to co-exist, why not install outfield lights on top of the rooftops so that the ballpark doesn't look like a corner lot under a streetlight at night.

Amazing how the the entire Wrigleyville experience has changed in the last 10 years compared to the height of the Tribune ownership/Harry Caray era. Another 3-4 bad seasons under Ricketts and it will be like the late 70s when they were closing the upper deck due to poor attendance.

LITTLE NELL
09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
If the Cubs and the Rooftop Owners really wanted to co-exist, why not install outfield lights on top of the rooftops so that the ballpark doesn't look like a corner lot under a streetlight at night.

Amazing how the the entire Wrigleyville experience has changed in the last 10 years compared to the height of the Tribune ownership/Harry Caray era. Another 3-4 bad seasons under Ricketts and it will be like the late 70s when they were closing the upper deck due to poor attendance.

Yet 39,000 turned out yesterday to see 2 of the worst teams in MLB.
Even the rooftops were well populated. The great city of Chicago has so much more to offer than paying good money to watch the 5th place Cubs and the 6th place Astros. What's wrong with those people.

DumpJerry
09-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Yet 39,000 turned out yesterday to see 2 of the worst teams in MLB.
Even the rooftops were well populated. The great city of Chicago has so much more to offer than paying good money to watch the 5th place Cubs and the 6th place Astros. What's wrong with those people.
The weather was perfect yesterday for a ballgame. How crazy of people to want to spend the day at the ballpark!

Red Barchetta
09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
The weather was perfect yesterday for a ballgame. How crazy of people to want to spend the day at the ballpark!

The weather is the same on both sides of Chicago so that argument must apply to the difference between either the neighborhood/ballpark or the fans. Even though tarnished, the Wrigleyville aura still exists.