PDA

View Full Version : 347 actual attendance for Marlins game.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2011/08/24/2011-08-24_hurricane_irene_or_poor_baseball_fan_counts_peo ple_in_stands_at_florida_marlins_.html).

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/08/25/alg_marlins-stadium-overview.jpg

Marqhead
08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
They really deserve that new stadium.

manders_01
08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Wow. :o:

Fenway
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Youch! That's depressing.

Not even any seagulls. (No fans, no food.)

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2011, 03:02 PM
As Harry liked to say; "Listen to the crowd".
More like listen to the pin drop.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
They really deserve that new stadium.
Tell me about it! Miami doesn't even deserve a team! They've never had a strong following.

Milw
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
To be fair, there is/was a hurricane on the way. Maybe that doesn't excuse the small crowd entirely, but it's hard to fault people for not making baseball (particularly involving two also-rans) a priority when there's more important things to be concerned with.

On that note, it's worth noting that the paid attendance was 22,505.

Criticism of the Marlins fanbase in general is valid, but I in this particular case, it's not as bad as it seems.

thomas35forever
08-25-2011, 06:09 PM
It's a joke playing in that stadium. I wonder if they'd sell out a minor league park.

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
They have had in the past few years where they have drawn less than 1,000 people. I think they have had a couple of games in the past few years where they have failed to draw 10,000.

amsteel
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
They have had in the past few years where they have drawn less than 1,000 people. I think they have had a couple of games in the past few years where they have failed to draw 10,000.

Surprisingly no games under 10K in Miami since 2006, which just means that they have a STH base that is corporate and never shows up.

TheOldRoman
08-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Not only was the hurricane issue in play, but apparently this was a makeup game scheduled last minute. There was already a night game scheduled for that day. That doesn't excuse the Marlins fans in general, but I'm not going to hold this game against them.

Viva Medias B's
08-25-2011, 09:11 PM
They could have played this game at Northwestern's Rocky Miller Park and Evanston - and had 253 seats still available for the game.

I think Marlins attendance will get a bounce when it moves to the new stadium, but will fans living in Broward drive all the way down I-95 to the former site of the Orange Bowl?

Mohoney
08-26-2011, 02:59 AM
It's a joke playing in that stadium. I wonder if they'd sell out a minor league park.

It's a joke playing football in that stadium, much less baseball.

That stadium is awful on every level.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2011, 05:18 AM

I remember when it was built and McCaskey said it was the model for all new NFL stadiums and he wanted one in Chicago just like Joe Robbie Stadium as it was called in its infant days.

geofitz
08-26-2011, 06:25 AM
JRS is not a bad football stadium. In fact there are some really good seats available for baseball. But, they're not the ones that carry the higher $$$ tag. For example, if you sit in the upper deck between 1st and 3rd in about the first 10 rows you have a nice vantage point or in the left and right field corners at field level. If you sit down the first base line past the dugout you will go home with a sore neck from twisting about 45 degrees to the left to see each pitch.

The "phantom" attendance numbers have been rising for the past 5 years or so and have become an inside joke when watching Marlins' telecasts.

Routinely the cameras focus on a small "knot" of screaming dancing fans repeatedly during games.

I don't believe fans from North Broward, Palm Beach or Martin Counties will be anxious to head to My am uh via I-95 to attend many games especially those with 7 PM weekday starts. Ugh.

But that's my .02 worth.

Hartman
08-26-2011, 07:34 AM
I keep hearing about the reluctance of people in Northern Miami of using I95...what's the deal with I95? Is the traffic that bad?

gobears1987
08-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Rachel Phelps really had the wrong idea with baseball in Florida.

Lamp81
08-26-2011, 10:23 PM

While I have never attended a game there, if it was an awful football stadium, there is no way it would remain in the Super Bowl rotation. The NFL will remove sub-par stadiums from the rotation, for example San Diego. Great city for the Super Bowl, but unless the former Jack Murphy is renovated or replaced, San Diego has seen its last Super Bowl.

Also the BCS would be quick to remove it from the BCS title game, if it was awful for football. The Jones Mansion in Arlington, Texas would bend over backwards to replace it in the BCS rotation.

PKalltheway
08-26-2011, 10:27 PM
While I have never attended a game there, if it was an awful football stadium, there is no way it would remain in the Super Bowl rotation. The NFL will remove sub-par stadiums from the rotation, for example San Diego. Great city for the Super Bowl, but unless the former Jack Murphy is renovated or replaced, San Diego has seen its last Super Bowl.

Also the BCS would be quick to remove it from the BCS title game, if it was awful for football. The Jones Mansion in Arlington, Texas would bend over backwards to replace it in the BCS rotation.
Spot on there. I saw the Bearcats in the Fed Ex Orange Bowl at Sun Life/Joe Robbie/etc. and it really isn't a bad place to watch a football game. It's just so far from the actual city of Miami, though!

Fenway
08-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Spot on there. I saw the Bearcats in the Fed Ex Orange Bowl at Sun Life/Joe Robbie/etc. and it really isn't a bad place to watch a football game. It's just so far from the actual city of Miami, though!

Is it ever

http://g.co/maps/m6xm

I recall going to a Patriots-Fins game in 1990 on a Thursday night and traffic from Miami was brutal.

Red Sox owner John Henry who owned the Marlins briefly hopes the team does well in the new ballpark but he worries that many fans from Broward and Palm Beach counties will NOT go that deep into Dade for anything.

johnnyg83
08-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I briefly hoped the Tigers would win the Central, then I came to my senses. 8^)

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Is it ever

http://g.co/maps/m6xm

I recall going to a Patriots-Fins game in 1990 on a Thursday night and traffic from Miami was brutal.

Red Sox owner John Henry who owned the Marlins briefly hopes the team does well in the new ballpark but he worries that many fans from Broward and Palm Beach counties will NOT go that deep into Dade for anything.

Sort of like Northside and north suburban Chicagoans who have never been south of Madison Street.

Fenway
08-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Sort of like Northside and north suburban Chicagoans who have never been south of Madison Street.

That is a fallacy

They don't go south of

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/Roosevelt_Red_CTA.JPG/225px-Roosevelt_Red_CTA.JPG

MUsoxfan
08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
That is a fallacy

They don't go south of

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/Roosevelt_Red_CTA.JPG/225px-Roosevelt_Red_CTA.JPG

I don't go north of North. I have a good friend that's lived in Lincoln Square for years that I've never visited. I can certainly understand travel borders

I make an exception to my North Ave rule once every couple years if something comes up

LITTLE NELL
08-27-2011, 11:03 AM
That is a fallacy

They don't go south of

If we want to get picky, some of them probably go all the way down to Soldier Field which is between 14th st. and 16th st.

cws05champ
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM

It's not a bad football stadium at all IMO. I have season tickets to the Dolphins in the Club level, which has been completely re-done. Upper deck seats can be really harsh early in the football season because of the sun, but lower bowl and club are good seats.

Also, yes it's not close to Miami or South Beach but really it's only a 25-30 minute drive from the stadium to get there....and the stadium is well situated next to several highways that can get you anywhere you want to go.

As far as the new baseball stadium, I live in South Palm beach and I won't be making many trips down there(maybe 2-3 next year) because it will take me over 2 hrs of travel time there and back.

bridgeportcopper
08-29-2011, 09:49 AM
It's not a bad football stadium at all IMO. I have season tickets to the Dolphins in the Club level, which has been completely re-done. Upper deck seats can be really harsh early in the football season because of the sun, but lower bowl and club are good seats.

Also, yes it's not close to Miami or South Beach but really it's only a 25-30 minute drive from the stadium to get there....and the stadium is well situated next to several highways that can get you anywhere you want to go.

As far as the new baseball stadium, I live in South Palm beach and I won't be making many trips down there(maybe 2-3 next year) because it will take me over 2 hrs of travel time there and back.

I second this....went to Bears-Dolphins Thursday night game last year and that place was a great football venue. Blows Soldier Field off the map. And the tailgating was surprisingly awesome too. The stadium is surrounded by parking lots which is a huge advantage.