PDA

View Full Version : LA Dodgers asking season ticket holders about Vin Scully

Fenway
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
:?::scratch:

On a scale of 1-5 they want to know how they feel about Vin on the following topics

1. Knowledge of baseball;2. Knowledge of Dodgers organization; 3. Objectivity; 4. Accuracy of calls; 5. Storytelling ability; 6. Focus on the game; 7. Style; 8. Overall performance.

T.J. Simmers explodes in LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-20110824,0,6043015,full.column

Lip Man 1
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
He's retiring at the end of the season anyway. This is pointless.

I personally think it would be a great idea for the Sox to use with their fans and their announcers if they haven't already done so.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
We might as well ask our season ticket holders what they think of Konerko.

Fenway
08-25-2011, 12:46 PM

I personally think it would be a great idea for the Sox to use with their fans and their announcers if they haven't already done so.

Lip

People have been saying that for years..

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vin+scully+retiring

That said the current mess that franchise is in has to be killing him inside. I would not be surprised to see him walk away after this year.

He may well end up doing the World Series on FOX as whatever is wrong with Joe Buck's vocal cords is not getting better.

Lamp81
08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Vin Scully is a national treasure. I so miss him doing the NBC games of the week along with the postseason. I would have loved the 2005 World Series to be described by Vin instead of Joe & Tim.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't get the love for him. I've listened to him, and he is sleep-inducing to me.

beasly213
08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't get the love for him. I've listened to him, and he is sleep-inducing to me.

+1 He puts me to sleep. I'm sure he has bags and bags of knowledge but I never got the hype.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2011, 12:10 AM
I've mentioned this once before, but last year I happened to have a Dodgers game on my Extra Innings package. My wife, who has no idea who Vin Scully is, walked in the room. She stood there watching for a bit, then said "what's the deal with this guy?" closed her eyes and made snoring noises.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2011, 12:55 AM
I've mentioned this once before, but last year I happened to have a Dodgers game on my Extra Innings package. My wife, who has no idea who Vin Scully is, walked in the room. She stood there watching for a bit, then said "what's the deal with this guy?" closed her eyes and made snoring noises.
:rolling:

The guy may be a brilliant baseball mind, but he has zero personality. The science teacher from The Wonder Years had more!

RCWHITESOX
08-26-2011, 01:28 AM
:rolling:

The guy may be a brilliant baseball mind, but he has zero personality. The science teacher from The Wonder Years had more!

I could not disagree more. He has so much knowledge of the game and even though I dislike the Dodgers he has been the most interesting baseball announcer I have ever listened to. I sure wish the Sox had a announcer like him. The only two announcers I have enjoyed with the Sox have been Jack Brickhouse and Harry Carry. I also like Steve Stone and just wish he would replace Put another one on the boards boys.

PeteWard
08-26-2011, 02:58 AM

I don't dislike him but he is as over-rated as they come. But I would take him in a heartbeat in exchange for our southern-fried meathead.

gobears1987
08-26-2011, 08:16 AM
People have been saying that for years..

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vin+scully+retiring

That said the current mess that franchise is in has to be killing him inside. I would not be surprised to see him walk away after this year.

He may well end up doing the World Series on FOX as whatever is wrong with Joe Buck's vocal cords is not getting better.

Hold on. What's wrong with Joe Buck's vocal cords? I thought the problem was in his brain.

ClawsDeep
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
The stories Vin Scully tells about each player are phenomenal. He is the best tv broadcaster I have ever heard. I used to turn Dodgers games on Extra Innings just to hear his stories.

To those who say that he puts you to sleep; I am shocked. I dont need the announcer to keep me awake while watching baseball. I routinely watch the sox on mute to not have to deal with Hawk. Thus, when I get somebody like Vin Scully to tell me something extra about the game instead of just reciting what happened on the field, it is an added bonus.

Fenway
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Hold on. What's wrong with Joe Buck's vocal cords? I thought the problem was in his brain.

He has been fighting a virus in his vocal cords....FOX is concerned about his doing double duty for the NFL and MLB...

gobears1987
08-26-2011, 05:01 PM
He has been fighting a virus in his vocal cords....FOX is concerned about his doing double duty for the NFL and MLB...

Not that I wish illness on him, but if he could do neither, it would improve the viewing experience. A World Series without Joe Buck would be great. The man wouldn't have a job if his father wasn't a legend.

doublem23
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't dislike him but he is as over-rated as they come. But I would take him in a heartbeat in exchange for our southern-fried meathead.

Agreed

Mohoney
08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
:thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
08-27-2011, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6900541/vin-scully-return-los-angeles-dodgers-booth-season

Lip

Red Barchetta
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM

I agree. I find his play-by-play announcing exhausting. He never allows any dead air.

gobears1987
08-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree. I find his play-by-play announcing exhausting. He never allows any dead air.

Anyone who has seen his call of Game 1 of the 1988 World Series knows that is not true.

As far as Scully goes, he is a legend and no announcer is better at capturing the big moment.

Taliesinrk
08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Anyone who has seen his call of Game 1 of the 1988 World Series knows that is not true.

As far as Scully goes, he is a legend and no announcer is better at capturing the big moment.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GoGoCrede
08-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Agreed, I love him. I know he's not everyone's favorite, but I'd take him over Hawk in a second.

thomas35forever
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I've always wondered what was going through his mind as he was announcing a big moment on national TV for his own team. I also wonder if Dodgers fans feel like they were watching a local broadcast during that whole series.

Anyway, nice that he's coming back next year.

Fenway
08-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Lip

Vin announced on air he will be back next year.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6900592/love-people-brings-vin-scully-back-los-angeles-dodgers

Milw
08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
My wife, who also has no idea who Vin Scully is, walked into the room during a Dodgers game on MLB.TV and mentioned how he was the most pleasant announcer she had ever heard.

I actually got the MLB.TV package this year specifically so I could listen to more Vin Scully.To each their own, but I genuinely can't fathom how a baseball fan can hear Scully and not fall instantly in love with the game all over again.

Brian26
08-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I've always wondered what was going through his mind as he was announcing a big moment on national TV for his own team. I also wonder if Dodgers fans feel like they were watching a local broadcast during that whole series.

Anyway, nice that he's coming back next year.

And the beauty of Vin when he used to do the Saturday afternoon Game of the Week on NBC or the playoffs, you never knew he was the Dodgers announcer.

It would be terrific to hear him do the Series on Fox this year. I'd still like them to bring Joe Garagiola back too instead of McCarver, but that might be asking too much.

PKalltheway
08-28-2011, 10:25 PM
It would be terrific to hear him do the Series on Fox this year. I'd still like them to bring Joe Garagiola back too instead of McCarver, but that might be asking too much.
Garagiola still shows up from time to time to do color commentary during Diamondbacks games. I would love to see a booth with Vin and Joe.

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM

That's because he simulcasts his TV broadcasts with his radio broadcasts. You can't really have dead air on the radio.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2011, 12:16 AM
And the beauty of Vin when he used to do the Saturday afternoon Game of the Week on NBC or the playoffs, you never knew he was the Dodgers announcer. And the problem of Vin (in my opinion) is that you can't tell he's the Dodgers' announcer when he's doing Dodgers games!

Milw
08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
And the problem of Vin (in my opinion) is that you can't tell he's the Dodgers' announcer when he's doing Dodgers games!
As someone who doesn't particularly care one way or the other about the Dodgers, this is a plus. I might feel differently if I were a Dodger fan, but I'm not.

Then again, if in some bizarro world the Sox hired Scully, I wouldn't care one bit if he sounded neutral. And this is coming from someone who likes Hawk. I just enjoy listening to Scully that much. He could do a rec league softball game and I'd tune in.

TDog
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
And the problem of Vin (in my opinion) is that you can't tell he's the Dodgers' announcer when he's doing Dodgers games!

That's certainly old school, the way baseball broadcasting pioneer Red Barber, who Vin Scully worked under in his early days in Brooklyn, called baseball.

I don't have a problem with announcers who aren't homers, who don't complain about the umpires cheating them out of games, who don't talk about it being time to hit a couple of batters on the opposing team. I don't mind dignity in an announcer. And, really, Vin Scully has the perfect voice and cadence for baseball. (For that matter, no one says "Farmer John" as well as Vin Scully, and he only does that between innings.) His voice never grates. He talks about the game and about baseball, not how he did on the golf course or where they have his money. He doesn't disappear when things are going bad.

Dodgers fans apparently don't mind that Vin Scully has never been a homer. Groucho Marx near the end of his life talked about the pleasure Vin Scully had given him, which probably went back to Brooklyn. Vin Scully is the standard, but not because he is a homer for a popular team.

I have never been a Dodgers fan, but in the 1980s and 1990s, I listened to a lot of Vin Scully on radio and television. I was a Harry Caray fan before I left the Chicago area. I even had a photo of Harry Caray interacting with White Sox fans that hung in a California art gallery a couple of years ago. But when I moved out west, I discovered that Vin Scully was one of those things they were getting right in LA.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
There's no right or wrong about Scully, just personal preferences. Some like the way he calls games, others find it boring. That's just the way it is.

I'll grant you that more people think he's great, but I'm convinced that a part of that is people who like him because they've been told that he's the gold standard.

TDog
08-31-2011, 02:30 AM
There's no right or wrong about Scully, just personal preferences. Some like the way he calls games, others find it boring. That's just the way it is.

I'll grant you that more people think he's great, but I'm convinced that a part of that is people who like him because they've been told that he's the gold standard.

You may be right, at least partially. Vin Scully is held up as the standard, so by definition, people believe he is what a broadcaster is supposed to be. Maybe people feel comfortable listening to him because his is a voice they have heard describing baseball in movies. He is inoffensive, and that can be considered synonymous with boring.

At the same time, people don't hate Vin Scully. He isn't just inoffensive. He doesn't offend people. People don't hate him the way Cubs fans hate Ken Harrelson.

Maybe Cubs-fan-hate for Ken Harrelson means nothing to you, but if Ken Harrelson were a Cubs announcer doing what he does for the White Sox, White Sox fans would hat him. A lot of people with no emotional ties with the White Sox good or bad can't stand listening to Ken Harrelson, although his voice is far less annoying than Tim McCarver's. Sox fans who love Ken Harrelson don't love him so much for his skill in describing baseball as they do the fact that he is cheering hard for the same team.

Cubs fans hated Harry Caray when he was with the Cardinals and White Sox. When he moved to the Cubs, Sox fans began to hate him and a statue demonstrates what he became to Cubs fans. (Players hated Harry Caray, at least privately. Curt Flood wrote that Harry Caray sounded like he perpetually had peanut butter stuck in the back of his throat. That was about the niceset thing he wrote about him. There were White Sox players who had altercations with him.) On the other hand, Sox fans never, en masse anyway, hated Steve Stone when he was with the Cubs.

I am not bored at all listening to an announcer who isn't reminding me who I am supposed to be cheering for as long as he can skillfully explain the game. With Vin Scully it's about the game. With Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall, it was about them. Of course, some fans prefer it that way.

Milw
08-31-2011, 08:00 AM
You may be right, at least partially. Vin Scully is held up as the standard, so by definition, people believe he is what a broadcaster is supposed to be. Maybe people feel comfortable listening to him because his is a voice they have heard describing baseball in movies. He is inoffensive, and that can be considered synonymous with boring.

At the same time, people don't hate Vin Scully. He isn't just inoffensive. He doesn't offend people. People don't hate him the way Cubs fans hate Ken Harrelson.

Maybe Cubs-fan-hate for Ken Harrelson means nothing to you, but if Ken Harrelson were a Cubs announcer doing what he does for the White Sox, White Sox fans would hat him. A lot of people with no emotional ties with the White Sox good or bad can't stand listening to Ken Harrelson, although his voice is far less annoying than Tim McCarver's. Sox fans who love Ken Harrelson don't love him so much for his skill in describing baseball as they do the fact that he is cheering hard for the same team.

Cubs fans hated Harry Caray when he was with the Cardinals and White Sox. When he moved to the Cubs, Sox fans began to hate him and a statue demonstrates what he became to Cubs fans. (Players hated Harry Caray, at least privately. Curt Flood wrote that Harry Caray sounded like he perpetually had peanut butter stuck in the back of his throat. That was about the niceset thing he wrote about him. There were White Sox players who had altercations with him.) On the other hand, Sox fans never, en masse anyway, hated Steve Stone when he was with the Cubs.

I am not bored at all listening to an announcer who isn't reminding me who I am supposed to be cheering for as long as he can skillfully explain the game. With Vin Scully it's about the game. With Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall, it was about them. Of course, some fans prefer it that way.
Well said. I'm someone who appreciates both schools--I like homers when they're on my team, and I like inoffensive Scully types equally.

I do, however, want my homers to describe the game in a meaningful way. Hawk used to be fairly good at this until about seven or eight years ago, and he's gone downhill since. Santo, on the other hand, never had a clue what was going on, and added nothing to Cubs broadcasts. I'm sure my anti-Cubs bias colors that a bit, but I honestly think if he were doing that schtick for the Sox I'd have despised him just as much.

Steve Stone is kind of the perfect balance for Hawk, in my opinion. He's extremely knowledgeable and does a great job of providing insight in a relatively entertaining way, is willing to call out players on either side if they deserve it, and yet still has a subtle tinge of homerism. I wouldn't have admitted to it at the time, but he made watching Cubs games in the 90s bearable for this Sox fan.

Fenway
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Back in 1987 I was at Dodger Stadium working a Cubs-Dodgers game for NBC and after the game I was surprised when Vin asked if he could sit at my table. He was happy as he had a few promo sun-visors the Dodgers had given away that day ( The girls will love these ). Turns out he recognized me from Montreal and was surprised to see me in LA.

I was able to chat with him for 20 minutes and a couple of moments stand out.

I mentioned to him that Red Sox fans were upset with him thinking he had been 'pro-Mets' in the Series and he laughed. He said NBC got over 10,000 letters about him and it was 50-50 as Mets fans thought he was pro-Boston. He said the perception came from the first 4 games where the visiting team won and his voice would rise against a silent crowd.

I mentioned that I was reading a new baseball book and asked him what he thought would be a good read. He replied that he NEVER reads about the game and when he goes home he leaves the game at the ballpark.

A few days later I came to understand just how good he was. I was driving in the dark of night through Arizona and put the Dodgers game on. LA would lose that game 16-2 to San Francisco but he was able to hold me like it was the 7th game of the World Series tied at 1.

He is the last of the great radio announcers and when he finally retires it will be a loss.

I last saw him a year ago at Fenway as he decided he wanted to see Fenway one more time when the Dodgers were in. It was at Fenway that he got his big break as Red Barber hired him at the last moment to replace Ernie Harwell on a BU-Maryland football game for CBS Radio. Then an opening came up on the Dodgers radio network when another announcer took the Boston Celtics job because it paid $1,000 more a year. The Celtics owner felt radio was the only way he could sell pro basketball in hockey crazy Boston and he liked the enthusiasm of this announcer who Marty Glickman recommended to him.

His name was Johnny Most

Johnny made Hawk sound objective :tongue:
AHf5yG7gO3k