PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/24 "34 of these left" Postgame

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
The Halos are probably sad that this was only a 2-game series. On to Seattle to close out another road trip. Looks like this might be a sub-.500 road trip.

Aesero
08-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Adam Dunn showing us he doesn't always strike out. Sometimes he hits into double plays. Alex Rios back to his usual self. Looking good guys.

samurai_sox
08-24-2011, 11:49 PM
The beginning of the end...

Boondock Saint
08-24-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.faithfullyfrugal-and-free.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Chris_Farley-8x6.jpg

"You remember that one time we had two baserunners in the same inning? That was awesome."

SoxSpeed22
08-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Didn't expect much from this one.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
S-Xrlf3taEo

Tragg
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Tough pitching matchup - their 1 (and a real 1) v our 5.

That would be red-hot Seattle.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Please end the damn season already.

By the way, don't say I never said some games weren't entirely the fault of the players.

JB98
08-25-2011, 12:19 AM
I would have turned it off after the third inning if I didn't have to write the TBGR tonight. The outcome was decided quickly.

BleacherBandit
08-25-2011, 12:21 AM
9DMKlZeuIDo

PalehosePlanet
08-25-2011, 12:23 AM
At least it was no heartbreaker....

TaylorStSox
08-25-2011, 12:30 AM
It's like a bad book that keeps getting worse. Every now and then, you'll find something that makes you keep reading. It never stops it from being a ****ty book. I swear Dan Brown wrote this White Sox season.

Foulke You
08-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I tuned out after the 5th inning. My patience for bad baseball only stretches so far. How many times have we been shutout now? Seems like we have to be over 10 now. What an offense we have!

hawkjt
08-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Sox never really had a chance vs Weaver,altho PK almost tied it up with that two out hard grounder that they flagged down with two sox in scoring position...after that....forget it.

I still think Stewart could be a decent pitcher,just no breaks tonite.

I thought Ozzie would sit Dunn tonite, but for sure he will sit him vs two lefties on Friday and Sunday. Lilly did not look good tonite anyway. Same old problem...not enough good hitters. Of course, the Angels are hitting 5 pts less as a team at .251 as a team.

Falstaff
08-25-2011, 12:48 AM

By the way, don't say I never said some games weren't entirely the fault of the players.
Ya, am thinking I will devote my watching baseball time to something more productive, like getting lap dances thru October. No excitement at the Ol' Ball Park here on out. Pathetic all around, but at least now I will have clarity and a new pastime.

thomas35forever
08-25-2011, 12:53 AM
So when do the Bears start again?

TommyGavinFloyd
08-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Lost my remote and decided it wasn't worth walking 5 feet to the TV and turning it on for this one. Listened to a few of Colt Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" podcasts instead. Seems I didn't miss much.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 01:03 AM
So now we're going to get people trying to outdo each other with how little they care, and how soon they stop watching games? GMAB.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 01:10 AM
So now we're going to get people trying to outdo each other with how little they care, and how soon they stop watching games? GMAB.

Is anyone bragging about anything? I think they are trying to make light of it. Team sucks. End of story.

Boondock Saint
08-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Is anyone bragging about anything? I think they are trying to make light of it. Team sucks. End of story.

Exactly. This team isn't providing any entertainment.

Dibbs
08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
The good news is that August games don't mean as much as September games. Plus, just wait until it cools off a little bit so ours guys aren't sweating so profusely and can start hitting better. We have some big boys on this team, and it doesn't take much to get overheated. I mean, none of this is Greg Walker's fault either. All of these guys are in the majors and should have learned to hit before they got here.

I was called many names and ridiculed when I said it is a problem that this team starts off every single spring training so poorly. It wasn't so much about the record of this one particular spring training, but the attitude and leadership that this team has. You can see the excuses developing before they even start. Here are the ones I claimed would pop up in 2011, and they are not far off:

-It's just April, and the season just started. No need to worry about a 10-15 record. Take a chill pill. The division isn't won is April.

-It's May, and with the weather getting warmer we will turn it around very soon.

-It's June, the Sox had the same record in 1983 and they won the division.

-It's July, and I don't think this team is out of it yet. We're only 6 back. With Peavy coming back to 100% we don't even need to make a trade.

-It's August, there is still a chance. Ozzie is not the problem and neither is Mark Kotsay/Dewayne Wise/terrible 5th starter/whoever Ozzie plays that shouldn't be.

-It's September, and Kenny will make the necessary moves to compete next year.

It is the same thing every year, and we need some changes. Big time changes. Immediately.

kufram
08-25-2011, 06:27 AM
I can't see any big time changes happening "immediately".

slavko
08-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Exactly. This team isn't providing any entertainment.

The attendance in this thread and at USC reflects that.

kevingrt
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
So we lost a terrible game and it's eight hours after the fact...

And we only have 22 replies to this thread.

Sox fans are done with this season and this team.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Yes

hawkjt
08-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Nah. Baseball ending means winter coming. I would rather watch the up and down Sox than shovel snow.:cool:

For us baseball fanatics, the day the season ends,we start looking at next year,with a long offseason to speculate about it...I would rather have actual games to argue over.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes

Well, then that's silly.

KenBerryGrab
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Sox never really had a chance vs Weaver,altho PK almost tied it up with that two out hard grounder that they flagged down with two sox in scoring position...after that....forget it.

It would have been 3-2 Halos if that went through.

kittle42
The good news is that August games don't mean as much as September games. Plus, just wait until it cools off a little bit so ours guys aren't sweating so profusely and can start hitting better. We have some big boys on this team, and it doesn't take much to get overheated. I mean, none of this is Greg Walker's fault either. All of these guys are in the majors and should have learned to hit before they got here.

I was called many names and ridiculed when I said it is a problem that this team starts off every single spring training so poorly. It wasn't so much about the record of this one particular spring training, but the attitude and leadership that this team has. You can see the excuses developing before they even start. Here are the ones I claimed would pop up in 2011, and they are not far off:

-It's just April, and the season just started. No need to worry about a 10-15 record. Take a chill pill. The division isn't won is April.

-It's May, and with the weather getting warmer we will turn it around very soon.

-It's June, the Sox had the same record in 1983 and they won the division.

-It's July, and I don't think this team is out of it yet. We're only 6 back. With Peavy coming back to 100% we don't even need to make a trade.

-It's August, there is still a chance. Ozzie is not the problem and neither is Mark Kotsay/Dewayne Wise/terrible 5th starter/whoever Ozzie plays that shouldn't be.

-It's September, and Kenny will make the necessary moves to compete next year.

It is the same thing every year, and we need some changes. Big time changes. Immediately.

You should just save this post for next season, too.

amsteel
Fox must be thrilled to have moved the AL Central 2nd place deathmatch to 310 on Sept 10. I hope the weather is nice for tailgating, because the baseball will be decidedly not nice.

kufram
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
This thread is a good reason for taking the season one game at a time. We might play a blinder in Seattle (this team has also shown life at times you know) and I'd hate to miss a good game because I was all wrapped up in the total demise of the franchise. The season will be over when it is over and, as frustrating as this team has been, I'll miss baseball when it is. Meanwhile, I want to win the next game. The Indians lost to Seattle so they must be suicidal compared to us.

ChiSoxGal85
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
A severe case apathy has set in with me. The only cure I know of is a serious winning streak. Not 2 or 3 games, but 10 or 12 or more games in a row, including stomping the Tigers. I hope that happens, but I won't be watching every inning of every game until then.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Apathy and baseball have never really gone together for me - ever - until certain stretches of this season.

IT SUCKS.

#1swisher
08-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Is this guy mentally in the game?

@scottmerkin

On third inning Abreu ground out, Guillen said Dunn forgot
there were only 2 outs when he started to move off the field

...Dunn said the ball was scuffed and he needed a new one

@MDGonzales

Guillen said he's been around long enough to know that Dunn forgot
how many outs were in the 3rd, Dunn claims he was going to toss
scuffed ball.

October26
08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I still care very much about White Sox baseball.

I will be watching & listening to every game until the last out of the game on Sept 28th. It hurts to see the Sox lose so many winnable games this season and I wish I had a magic wand to make this all better. I don't. As kufram and others have mentioned, the offseason is long and I will miss White Sox baseball. So, I tune in and watch and experience the same frustration of Sox fans everywhere. Every so often, though, I also get to experience the joy of watching a good baseball game like I did last Sunday when the Sox beat the Rangers. There have been too few of the "good Sox games" this season, that is for sure.

Also, I have other responsibilities/joys in life like: back-to-school + move-daughter-to-college + take care of elderly parents + job etc to keep me super busy. The White Sox are my entertainment-distraction-outlet and I hope they can win some games in Seattle starting tomorrow night and provide me with an escape during this super, busy, hectic month of August.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes Ozzie that is what Adam Dunn needs right now, to get in a public fight with his manager over something totally pointless.

This guy is doing a bang-up job.

Johnny Mostil
08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Adam Dunn showing us he doesn't always strike out. Sometimes he hits into double plays. Alex Rios back to his usual self. Looking good guys.

You're selling his versatility short. Last night, Dunn struck out looking, then he struck out swinging, then he ground into a double play.

Yes Ozzie that is what Adam Dunn needs right now, to get in a public fight with his manager over something totally pointless.

Guillén or Dunn?

kittle42
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Guillén or Dunn?

They're in on it together, this 2011 season. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 11:43 AM

This guy is doing a bang-up job.People all over the place are calling for Ozzie to be fired, in very large part because of what a HUGE disappointment Dunn has been at the plate. Seriously, if he was hitting anywhere near what was expected, don't you think the Sox would be in a different situation today? Not only has he been a black hole in the lineup, but it changes how teams can pitch to the other hitters in the lineup.

So, Ozzie hears calls for his head every day, then a person who is a big part of the reason for that can't even keep count of the outs? I think the frustration is understandable.

FielderJones
08-25-2011, 12:06 PM

@scottmerkin

@MDGonzales

Guillen said he's been around long enough to know that Dunn forgot how many outs were in the 3rd, Dunn claims he was going to toss scuffed ball.

Wow, if the umpire doesn't signal me I give the scuffed ball back to my pitcher so he can throw a "Niekro forkball." Whatever happened to trying to get away with a naturally doctored ball?

soltrain21
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM

@scottmerkin

@MDGonzales

Guillen said he's been around long enough to know that Dunn forgot
how many outs were in the 3rd, Dunn claims he was going to toss
scuffed ball.

The first player in the history of the world to forget how many outs there are.

kufram
08-25-2011, 12:17 PM
As I live several thousand miles away from U.S. Cellular I wonder if I can be enlightened by those more local. It is obvious that attendance is down and we all know why.... no need to further that argument here. There are and have been vociferous calls for Ozzie's head on WSI for as long as I've been coming here. It is more pronounced this season again for reasons we all know and don't need more info on here. I don't consider any of us here casual fans.

But I wonder... is there a big anti Ozzie atmosphere at the ballpark? By that I mean are there signs everywhere to Fire Ozzie? Is he met with boos every time he steps from the dugout? Is he horribly unpopular with the average paying customer?

I'm not trying to advance an agenda here because, although I do not dislike Ozzie as much as some do here, I would miss him only until the next guy had a winning ball club. So I am a little ambivalant on Ozzie.

We know the crowd have been down on Dunn and ratty at Rios but are they of the dump Ozzie opinion?

FielderJones
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
We know the crowd have been down on Dunn and ratty at Rios but are they of the dump Ozzie opinion?

I've been to six games this year and I've not seen the crowd boo Ozzie, nor have I seen any anti-Ozzie signs. Of course, four of those were wins, but even at the losses the boos have been reserved for Dunn and Rios.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
People all over the place are calling for Ozzie to be fired, in very large part because of what a HUGE disappointment Dunn has been at the plate. Seriously, if he was hitting anywhere near what was expected, don't you think the Sox would be in a different situation today? Not only has he been a black hole in the lineup, but it changes how teams can pitch to the other hitters in the lineup.

So, Ozzie hears calls for his head every day, then a person who is a big part of the reason for that can't even keep count of the outs? I think the frustration is understandable.

Dunn's crappiness just puts other areas - such as the multitude of questionable managing decisions - more under the microscope.

pssondacubs
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Refresh my memory. Didn't Reinsdorf make the comment a month or so ago that both Kenny and Ozzie would be welcomed back next year?

kufram
08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I've been to six games this year and I've not seen the crowd boo Ozzie, nor have I seen any anti-Ozzie signs. Of course, four of those were wins, but even at the losses the boos have been reserved for Dunn and Rios.

I was pretty sure that would be the case. The fans aren't stupid. On mlbtv I've not seen anything insulting to Ozzie but maybe they wouldn't show that.

kufram
08-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I still care very much about White Sox baseball.

I will be watching & listening to every game until the last out of the game on Sept 28th. It hurts to see the Sox lose so many winnable games this season and I wish I had a magic wand to make this all better. I don't. As kufram and others have mentioned, the offseason is long and I will miss White Sox baseball. So, I tune in and watch and experience the same frustration of Sox fans everywhere. Every so often, though, I also get to experience the joy of watching a good baseball game like I did last Sunday when the Sox beat the Rangers. There have been too few of the "good Sox games" this season, that is for sure.

Also, I have other responsibilities/joys in life like: back-to-school + move-daughter-to-college + take care of elderly parents + job etc to keep me super busy. The White Sox are my entertainment-distraction-outlet and I hope they can win some games in Seattle starting tomorrow night and provide me with an escape during this super, busy, hectic month of August.

Good luck on the daughter to college move. I will drive my daughter to Edinburgh on Wednesday to start her 4-year PhD. Years ago I overheard her say to a friend that "the White Sox must have lost... dad's mad." I decided there and then to never again let a baseball game do that to me... or her!

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I will drive my daughter to Edinburgh on Wednesday to start her 4-year PhD.Good luck to her. I absolutely love Edinburgh.

captain54
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
People all over the place are calling for Ozzie to be fired, in very large part because of what a HUGE disappointment Dunn has been at the plate. Seriously, if he was hitting anywhere near what was expected, don't you think the Sox would be in a different situation today? .

So everyone in the organization from JR on down gets a free pass for another frustrating season. Let's just blame it all on Dunn.

Let's ignore the bullpen problems in the first month that put us in a hole, the downward offensive spiral of Gordon Beckham, the unfocused at times defensive play of Alexei Ramirez, the overall malaise of Rios both offensively and defensively, the tendency of WalkerBall to rear its ugly head at various periods of the season, and just overall sub par baseball fundamentals.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
But I wonder... is there a big anti Ozzie atmosphere at the ballpark? By that I mean are there signs everywhere to Fire Ozzie? Is he met with boos every time he steps from the dugout? Is he horribly unpopular with the average paying customer?
I have only been to two games this season, so I really can't describe the sentiment towards Ozzie in the ballpark. But, I will say that, if anyone brought any negative sign like to the ballpark, security at the gates would confiscate it.

hawkjt
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
So everyone in the organization from JR on down gets a free pass for another frustrating season. Let's just blame it all on Dunn.

Let's ignore the bullpen problems in the first month that put us in a hole, the downward offensive spiral of Gordon Beckham, the unfocused at times defensive play of Alexei Ramirez, the overall malaise of Rios both offensively and defensively, the tendency of WalkerBall to rear its ugly head at various periods of the season, and just overall sub par baseball fundamentals.

Every team has flaws. The Sox are 2nd in the league is least errors,so it is not really the defense. They are 6th in ERA and runs allowed,so the pitching is ok. It is the offense...they are 11th in runs scored...this is not brain surgery,the Sox offense has stunk this year. Blame Walker,Kenny,Ozzie,whoever,but the sox cannot hit. Not sure what the solution would have been but they aint found it.

kufram
08-25-2011, 02:22 PM
It isn't a question of blaming Dunn. I'm sure the man isn't trying to ruin everybody's life. He's had as bad a year as anyone can have in my opinion. Possibly so bad to say that had he hit the way everybody thought he would or even close it's not unrealistic to think we'd be more than 6 games better off over the year and leading the division. That kind of failure is unpredictable.

That doesn't excuse other problems but, yes, then most people would find it pretty easy to ignore the other faults on the team because they'd be too busy concentrating on winning and the post season.

Jerko
08-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I think some of the boos aimed at Rios and Dunn are "combination boos", meant for both players, and Ozzie, for having them in the lineup.

kufram
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Good luck to her. I absolutely love Edinburgh.

Thank you. Yes, I love Edinburgh also. She's earned this all, too, coming through the state school system. She's 22 soon, researching human genetics for the next 4 years and being paid to do so at one of the most important institutions in Europe linked with Edinburgh University. I'm a little proud.

captain54
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Every team has flaws.

Again, we settle for mediocrity. Why can't we have LESS flaws than other teams and be dominant? feared? an elite organization?

this is a bad fundamental team...

doublem23
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Again, we settle for mediocrity. Why can't we have LESS flaws than other teams and be dominant? feared? an elite organization?

this is a bad fundamental team...

No one is "settling for mediocrity," he's pointing out a fact. ****, the Yankees have a $200+ million payroll and they have, 1, maybe 2 above average SP.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
It's a little bothersome that, since that 14-inning thriller last Tuesday night (9 days ago), we have lost 4.5 games in the standings.

captain54
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
No one is "settling for mediocrity," he's pointing out a fact. ****, the Yankees have a $200+ million payroll and they have, 1, maybe 2 above average SP.

Either way, the Sox staff has given up more hits and ER's overall than NY, so the Yanks pitching obviously is making up for it in other ways...

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Let's ignore the bullpen problems in the first month that put us in a hole, the downward offensive spiral of Gordon Beckham, the unfocused at times defensive play of Alexei Ramirez, the overall malaise of Rios both offensively and defensively, the tendency of WalkerBall to rear its ugly head at various periods of the season, and just overall sub par baseball fundamentals.Please point out where I said anything of the sort. I merely pointed out that Ozzie is probably already a little pissed at Dunn, for damned good reason, and then Dunn loses focus on defense as well, so it's understandable that Ozzie would get frustrated. If you aren't hitting a lick, you can at least pay attention, evidence Beckham.

Why do people always read in more than was written?

cards press box
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Every team has flaws. The Sox are 2nd in the league is least errors,so it is not really the defense. They are 6th in ERA and runs allowed,so the pitching is ok. It is the offense...they are 11th in runs scored...this is not brain surgery,the Sox offense has stunk this year. Blame Walker,Kenny,Ozzie,whoever,but the sox cannot hit. Not sure what the solution would have been but they aint found it.

I could not agree more.

In a nutshell, the Sox problem has been their offense, particularly their lack of power playing half their games in a home run hitters' haven. For a season, Dunn, Rios and Beckham should have produced 75 home runs. At the moment, they have 28. Speed is less important in U.S. Cellular than power but it is important, too. Last year, Pierre and Rios stole nearly 100 bases between them. This year, the total is around 30. I don't think we have to look very far to figure out where the problem has been on offense. I don't know what the solution is either but I hope that the Sox try something now and in the offseason.

:sockem

kittle42
08-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Convenience. We are all guilty of it.

captain54
08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Please point out where I said anything of the sort. I merely pointed out that Ozzie is probably already a little pissed at Dunn, for damned good reason, and then Dunn loses focus on defense as well, so it's understandable that Ozzie would get frustrated. If you aren't hitting a lick, you can at least pay attention, evidence Beckham.

People all over the place are calling for Ozzie to be fired, in very large part because of what a HUGE disappointment Dunn has been at the plate. Seriously, if he was hitting anywhere near what was expected, don't you think the Sox would be in a different situation today?

This was the comment I was addressing, sir...

White Sox baseball has been on the general downturn since mid 06 and its got a lot more to do with than just, Ozzie, just Dunn, just Walker, etc.

LongLiveFisk
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM

I haven't really heard booing when he comes out of the dugout. I heard just a few boos when they called his name last Saturday at the park, but not very many. So I guess you can draw your own conclusions. :dunno:

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
People all over the place are calling for Ozzie to be fired, in very large part because of what a HUGE disappointment Dunn has been at the plate. Seriously, if he was hitting anywhere near what was expected, don't you think the Sox would be in a different situation today?

This was the comment I was addressing, sir...

White Sox baseball has been on the general downturn since mid 06 and its got a lot more to do with than just, Ozzie, just Dunn, just Walker, etc.
I didn't say "just" anywhere in there. My point was, if Dunn was performing near his career averages, the Sox would be well above .500, possibly leading the division, and there wouldn't be so many people calling for Ozzie's job. Ergo, it is somewhat understandable if said under-performing, hugely-paid designated hitter failing to even be able to pay attention to the number of outs in an inning causes Ozzie heartburn.

It was a simple point. It really was. It was only intended to express some understanding for why Ozzie might be a little less tolerant of Dunn being unable to see the importance of doing well at some aspect of his game. It was not intended to place ALL the blame on Dunn. However, if you can't see how significantly Dunn has contributed to the situation the Sox (and thus Ozzie) find themselves in, then I don't know what more to say.

Have I now sufficiently over-explained what I thought was a pretty straight-forward statement?