PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mike Flanagan -Oriole great

Fenway
08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.csnbaltimore.com/08/24/11/Report-Orioles-Flanagan-found-dead/mobile_landing.html?blockID=553816&feedID=9671

PKalltheway
08-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, one of my friends just told me about this...RIP.:(:

Fenway
08-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Several Baltimore media outlets are saying suicide as he was despondent over state of the Orioles franchise

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/28967968/detail.html

Fenway
08-25-2011, 06:54 AM
http://deadspin.com/5834218/mike-flanagan-who-won-a-world-series-and-cy-young-award-with-the-orioles-found-dead-updated

What struck people last night is MASN never said a word about it even after story was confirmed.

Chez
08-25-2011, 09:06 AM
The saddest of the many sad things about this story is that Flanagan was apparently despondent over what he perceived to be blame cast his way by Orioles fans for the teams current state. Who knows -- maybe he had read some unflattering comments directed at him on an Orioles message board. Makes me shake my head over the potential impact of anonymity and should serve as a reminder that these are real people (with families) who we routinely insult on boards like this.

Fenway
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
The Orioles and MASN sat on the story until the game with the Twins was over -and then Jim Palmer spoke

http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?show_id=707025&p= (http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?show_id=707025&p=)

In his native New Hampshire he was considered the greatest athlete the state has produced

http://unionleader.com/article/20110825/NEWS/708259959

downstairs
08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeremy Guthrie, Orioles pitcher (who ironically won wearing Flanny's number on the day he died) is wondering if he should continue to wear his number. The O's don't retire any numbers unless the player is in the Hall of Fame.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/08/guthrie_wants_to_know_whether_1.html

Fenway
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
It has been ruled a suicide :(:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/08/25/former-os-pitcher-flanagan-death-ruled-suicide/

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
The saddest of the many sad things about this story is that Flanagan was apparently despondent over what he perceived to be blame cast his way by Orioles fans for the teams current state. Who knows -- maybe he had read some unflattering comments directed at him on an Orioles message board. Makes me shake my head over the potential impact of anonymity and should serve as a reminder that these are real people (with families) who we routinely insult on boards like this.

You make a very good point and I was thinking the same thing. It still is shocking that someone would take their life over the state of the Orioles or any other sports franchise. As fans we take this game way too seriously and get frustrated and say terrible things about the players, managers and coaches. The media should also watch what they say and write. Lets hope and pray this never happens again.

Dan H
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
You make a very good point and I was thinking the same thing. It still is shocking that someone would take their life over the state of the Orioles or any other sports franchise. As fans we take this game way too seriously and get frustrated and say terrible things about the players, managers and coaches. The media should also watch what they say and write. Lets hope and pray this never happens again.

What happens with a sports team isn't the most important thing in the world, but baseball was Flanagen's life. Players take things to heart and that is why I never boo at a game. And from now on I will be more careful in my criticism. I try not to be too personal, anyway. I don't like it when fans refer to players as "useless" or "crap."

I guess we will find out more about in a few days. It is a tragedy and reminds us that there are more important things in life.

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
What happens with a sports team isn't the most important thing in the world, but baseball was Flanagen's life. Players take things to heart and that is why I never boo at a game. And from now on I will be more careful in my criticism. I try not to be too personal, anyway. I don't like it when fans refer to players as "useless" or "crap."

I guess we will find out more about in a few days. It is a tragedy and reminds us that there are more important things in life.

I can honestly say that after attending hundreds of Chicago sporting events I have never booed a member of the home team.

I think the visiting player expects to get booed so it does not affect them like a member of the home team.

Railsplitter
08-25-2011, 04:22 PM

There are merits to these discussions, but he may well have had deeper, private usses as well.

gobears1987
08-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I can honestly say that after attending hundreds of Chicago sporting events I have never booed a member of the home team.

I think the visiting player expects to get booed so it does not affect them like a member of the home team.

That was true for me too until last September when I had no choice but to boo Manny Ramirez. It was ****ing disgraceful to see him wearing a Sox cap.

As for Flanagan, RIP.

Fenway
08-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Ken Singleton confirms that in the past month Mike was just despondent over the team and fans blaming him. His friends kept saying to stop reading the internet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2011/08/25/2011-08-25_mike_flanagans_suicide_leaves_former_baltimore_ orioles_teammates_friends_searchi.html

Bill Madden just unload on Angelos.

BoysMom3
08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
How terrible. So sad. :(:

Lamp81
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
While I would never wish Flanagan the depression that causes suicide, I and many others, will contend, that Flanagan played a large part in denying the White Sox the 1983 World Series.

Flanagan purposely hit Ron Kittle, dislocating his kneecap. Kittle has stated in interviews that he was purposely thrown at. With Kittle gone, the Sox went into one of their offensive funks (still happens in 2011, common thread - Greg Walker) and lost the ALCS. A little offense would have won game 4 in the Britt Burns game, and there was no way Lamarr Hoyt was going to lose game 5 at Comiskey. The White Sox, more than likely, would have beaten the Phillies in a 7 game series.

Once again, I'm not saying Flanagan deserves his fate. As a White Sox fan, on a White Sox board, I am pointing out a turning point in White Sox history involving Flanagan.

Brian26
08-25-2011, 10:21 PM
While I would never wish Flanagan the depression that causes suicide, I and many others, will contend, that Flanagan played a large part in denying the White Sox the 1983 World Series.

Before anyone jumps on Lamp here, I'll admit it was the first thought that crossed my mind. My memory of Flanagan, as a Sox fan, was of his taking Kittle out of the series in Game 3 of the ALCS, and then Dotson's attempt at retaliation on Ripken and Murray. Has nothing to do with Flanagan's fate, but it's what I'll remember about him.

RCWHITESOX
08-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I was sad to hear that Mike Flanagan took his life. He was still a young man with a lot of life left to live. He sure was one heck of a pitcher in his time.

slavko
08-28-2011, 12:10 AM
He was upset about financial matters. It wasn't the Orioles or the booing. We sort of knew that would be the case, right?

Next time you feel like booing a player, go ahead. Or don't go ahead if you don't want to. No one is going to kill himself over it.

TommyJohn
08-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Flanagan purposely hit Ron Kittle, dislocating his kneecap. Kittle has stated in interviews that he was purposely thrown at. With Kittle gone, the Sox went into one of their offensive funks (still happens in 2011, common thread - Greg Walker) and lost the ALCS. A little offense would have won game 4 in the Britt Burns game, and there was no way Lamarr Hoyt was going to lose game 5 at Comiskey. The White Sox, more than likely, would have beaten the Phillies in a 7 game series.

Once again, I'm not saying Flanagan deserves his fate. As a White Sox fan, on a White Sox board, I am pointing out a turning point in White Sox history involving Flanagan.

Wow. That was some HBP. Altered the entire course of history, it seems.