PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a long lost weekend at the cell

pudge
08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Got to spend some time at The Cell for the first time in years over the weekend of the Texas series. Turned out to be a surprisingly fun weekend in what has been one of the worst seasons to be a Sox fan. Observations:

1) The comments about the fans being "dead" this year was extremely evident on Friday night. Even with a packed house and a 4-run lead, it really felt like the crowd didn't buy it. When Texas pounced on Peavy, there was a collective shrug of ambivalence. During the post-game fireworks and Elvis party (which was pretty corny and probably an idea past its prime) the crowd half acted like it didn't even want to be there.

2) I was struck by how this park has made a complete transformation. Even though I have seen the park in its various states of reconstruction, I still have the blue-seat ball mall of my younger years etched into my mind. Now that the face lift is complete, it's a different feel. The green seats, black beams, new roof and ivy outfield really make for a classy looking park. I have been harsh on this park since leaving town, being completely underwhelmed every time I have visited, but I was pleasantly surprised this time.

3) Don't you wonder what this season might have been like if Peavy was made the closer as soon as he was back? It may have reinvented his career, it may have saved some losses early on, it may have bolstered the pen and prevented the loss of Edwin Jackson. Who knows.

4) Sunday was like being in an alternate universe, the Sox played such a perfect game. Alex Rios even decided to play a little centerfield. Brent Lillibridge tied Adam Dunn for homers with 11, which was probably the most depressing tidbit of the day. It was only a shame Paulie's line drive to right center didn't fall for his 2000th at home.

5) If we can get 3-4 seasons of Chris Singleton out of De Aza, I'd be fine with that.

JC456
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Well Ozzie sure doesn't want to win.

Not bringing up Viciedo when Quentin got hurt and not benching the bum Rios, is a cleary a statement winning isn't the objective.

Added to that playing Dunn instead of, and I can't believe I'm going to state this one, Lillibridge.

And last night not bringing in Sale in the ninth, Don't know, but he has already convinced me enough that I'm done with season tickets until Guillen is gone!

Parrothead
08-24-2011, 06:09 PM
1) The comments about the fans being "dead" this year was extremely evident on Friday night. Even with a packed house and a 4-run lead, it really felt like the crowd didn't buy it. When Texas pounced on Peavy, there was a collective shrug of ambivalence. During the post-game fireworks and Elvis party (which was pretty corny and probably an idea past its prime) the crowd half acted like it didn't even want to be there.

Packed house ? There were 28,000 plus there. Half the UD was empty.

hawkjt
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Well Ozzie sure doesn't want to win.

Not bringing up Viciedo when Quentin got hurt and not benching the bum Rios, is a cleary a statement winning isn't the objective.

Added to that playing Dunn instead of, and I can't believe I'm going to state this one, Lillibridge.

And last night not bringing in Sale in the ninth, Don't know, but he has already convinced me enough that I'm done with season tickets until Guillen is gone!

Carlos will be back on Friday, it appears. So he left Saturday nites game,and the Sox won, then they won on Sunday,and lost last nite. You DL Carlos to bring up Viciedo for 15 games cuz he cannot play for 3 games? Viciedo will be up in a week,anyway. Dayan was struggling until the last couple of days anyway.

I have a problem with leaving Frasor in last nite,and with starting Dunn tonite,tho.

pudge
08-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Packed house ? There were 28,000 plus there. Half the UD was empty.

Okay, packed was a bad adjective. The lower bowl was about completely full. It was a buzzing crowd before the game started, then, nothing.

JC456
08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Carlos will be back on Friday, it appears. So he left Saturday nites game,and the Sox won, then they won on Sunday,and lost last nite. You DL Carlos to bring up Viciedo for 15 games cuz he cannot play for 3 games? Viciedo will be up in a week,anyway. Dayan was struggling until the last couple of days anyway.

I have a problem with leaving Frasor in last nite,and with starting Dunn tonite,tho.
Ozzie has now stated Carlos is out for the Seattle series. And yes bringing up Viciedo now, you can just leave him here after September 1. This is a mistake by the White Sox and disingenuous to the fan base to continue to play baseball with what was a pennant chase with two guys in your line up that don't drive in runs and are stinking up the parks they play in when there was an opportunity to do something. You never know what might've happened if Viciedo came up. I say he couldn't do any worse than striking out for four at bats a game like the two other schmucks!

salty99
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM
On Point C: NO

The rest I mostly agree with.

hawkjt
08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Ozzie has now stated Carlos is out for the Seattle series. And yes bringing up Viciedo now, you can just leave him here after September 1. This is a mistake by the White Sox and disingenuous to the fan base to continue to play baseball with what was a pennant chase with two guys in your line up that don't drive in runs and are stinking up the parks they play in when there was an opportunity to do something. You never know what might've happened if Viciedo came up. I say he couldn't do any worse than striking out for four at bats a game like the two other schmucks!

Losing Carlos for the weekend changes the equation,I admit that.
Now, it does seem like going one man short for a whole week was a mistake. Next week the Sox play the Twins and Tigers. If Carlos does come back for those games, and hits well, you can make a case it was better than 15 day dl'ing him and not having him for those critical series.

Otherwise,they could have cut Omar,I suppose,and called up Dayan.
Tough position for the Sox. They have to win the series in Seattle to keep a pulse and get to next week,with Carlos back.

BainesHOF
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I was at Sunday's Kids Day game. It was a beautiful day and the results were good on the field, but the atmosphere was low key. It was like a nice day at the zoo...with ridiculously loud music. All the bad music does is distract you from the game and the level at which it's played makes it hard to have a conversation. I feel sorry for our new organist. She was barely allowed to play. What's the point of having an organist?

What was particularly striking was nearly 50 percent of the seats that were sold were empty.

GoGoCrede
08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
I was at Sunday's Kids Day game. It was a beautiful day and the results were good on the field, but the atmosphere was low key. It was like a nice day at the zoo...with ridiculously loud music. All the bad music does is distract you from the game and the level at which it's played makes it hard to have a conversation. I feel sorry for our new organist. She was barely allowed to play. What's the point of having an organist?

What was particularly striking was nearly 50 percent of the seats that were sold were empty.

At least we're not the Marlins, who had only 347 people the other night. :tongue:Yikes.

Chez
08-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Most Sunday afternoon games are pretty low key (and always have been) when compared to night games. Surprised about your comment about 50% of the seats that were sold being empty. The lower bowl was pretty full -- the section I was in (and the adjoining sections) were full.

salty99
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM

I was there too and definitely agree on the music.