PDA

View Full Version : Phillies fans: The downside of success

Fenway
08-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Now Phillies fans are miserable because the team is good...

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/bryant-110824/philadelphia-phillies-fans-downside-following-baseball-superpower

kittle42
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Same thing that Atlanta and Cleveland and Oakland dealt with for periods of time.

I wish Chicago had this "problem" in any sport.

DumpJerry
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
:violin:

BleacherBandit
08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Boo hoo. DAMN THIS SUCCESS! DAMN IT TO HELL!

Marqhead
08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Eat my shorts.

Fenway
08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Eat my shorts.

http://www.rantsports.com/philadelphia-phillies/files/2011/06/Phillie-Phanatic.jpg

pythons007
08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I think this is the thought for any fan base with a team in the hunt. Look at what people said about the Bulls last year, when they weren't even suppose to be sniffing a championship yet. Same could be said about the Hawks. Sure both teams were good, but they were both very young and unexperienced with post season.

2005 from what I remember was the samething. People were calling them chokers and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, Philly fans can eat it hard because their fan base are whiners and cry babies.

downstairs
08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Makes sense. After 4 straight years and a World Series win in that time, clinching a spot in the playoffs... when its not even a race (6.5 games ahead, and even if they choke they'll be the wild card)... yeah, the regular season's 162 games is sort of meaningless.

Sort of like when the White Sox clinched in September 1983. The rest of the regular season was sort of boring.

Bob Roarman
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I can understand it too. You get to a point in the season where, you know whatever team you're rooting for is going to the playoffs, you know they are a pretty good team and it's just sort of a waiting game for the real test and you get anxious.

The Hawks were different than the Bulls though, they were Cup favorites going into the playoffs, even going into the season they were favored to make it that far by a lot of people. They didn't really come out of nowhere like the 05' Sox did. The year before that, yeah you could say that. Nobody was really sure how they'd do, first time for Toews, Kane and Co. in the playoffs, and they made it to the Conference Finals. But after that they were expected to get to the Final the next season, especially by the time Hossa made it back.