PDA

View Full Version : Starlin Castro in hot water

thomas35forever
08-22-2011, 07:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6884828/chicago-cubs-manager-mike-quade-was-disappointed-starlin-castro-actions-sunday
He did things that would make a Little League coach lose his head.

GlassSox
08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
I was watching that game on TV and Castro was in the spot light for not being into the game. Quade had to do something because of the TV coverage.

DumpJerry
08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
This is why Hendry, if he was really fired on 7/22, should have traded him to the White Sox for Adam Dunn and Alex Rios. Under the Phil Rogers evaluation of trades (who gets the most players), the Cubs would have come out ahead.

soltrain21
08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't know how much hot water you can be in when the manager is going to be gone in about a month.

Brian26
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Is Bobby V auditioning for the Cubs manager position?

What a joke, though, that it takes a tv analyst to show Quade something he should be able to see with his own eyes.

tstrike2000
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM

I believe Valentine has been brushing his fake beard and mustache for the next time he gets a manager job and gets ejected.

Hendu
08-22-2011, 10:34 PM

What a joke, though, that it takes a tv analyst to show Quade something he should be able to see with his own eyes.

Even worse - during the post-game interview, Quade said he'd have to talk to his "infield people" (serious) or call Bobby V (joking) to ask about what he saw. An ESPN analyst has to point things that Quade doesn't notice? Dead man walking.

slavko
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
The kid's got ADD. I'd take him anyway. Good catch on Valentine audutioning. He passed!

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I really dislike Bobby V. He acts likes a know-it-all.

Hendu
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I really dislike Bobby V. He acts likes a know-it-all.

Yes he does sometimes, but he was absolutely right in this case. Castro literally had his back to home plate while a pitch was delivered. There is no excuse for that type of behavior, and it shouldn't take an analyst on national TV to catch it.

soxfan1965
08-23-2011, 09:08 AM
The kid's got ADD. I'd take him anyway. Good catch on Valentine audutioning. He passed!
I'm glad someone posted this story. Yes, Valentine's auditioning was obvious, going on for 10 minutes, but give him credit for catching it and bringing the general problem to focus. Telander went into more detail, even back to the Bartman incident: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7222050-419/starlin-castros-lounging-is-the-lax-straw-for-cubs.html
It's something fans paying good money for high priced players don't like to see. Ozzie called out Rios for dogging, just like Fisk called out Deion. It's not good for the game. Problem is, with the Cubs, it seems to have gotten part of their ecosystem, and a young guy like Castro may be hurt in the long run with his "mentors" not correcting him.

SOXPHILE
08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
All of these events the past few days -Hendry being fired in July, but staying on 'till August, when he "stepped down" last week; Keeping Crane Kenny. A shortstop being called out on national TV for not having his head even close to being in the game; A dead man walking manager not knowing about it, and saying he would have to "talk to his infield people, or call Bobby to see what he saw": It's all just, so....CUB. These are classic, textbook examples of everything that is Cub, what it means to be a Cub, what Cubs baseball has always been. This year is one of the most hilarious I have ever seen, from the godawful record, to them finally actually doing something about Zambrano for his asinine behavior, after years of enabling him. The whole lack of accountability, leadership, and people who know what they are doing over there just cracks me up. I was literally laughing out loud on Sunday night when they were showing Castro and Valentine was ranting. I laughed out loud again yesterday when I heard Quade's response to questions about it. All of these things just scream CUBS BASEBALL, and CUB-DOM. You can't make this stuff up.

103 years and counting. But hey, let's get out those white W flags and sing and dance when they play "Go Cubs Go" the next time they win a game, to improve their record to only 16 games under .500. Wrigley Field. Idiots watching losers.

vinny
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
This sort of thing never happens on Ron Gardenhire's baseball teams.

Whitesox029
08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
All of these events the past few days -Hendry being fired in July, but staying on 'till August, when he "stepped down" last week; Keeping Crane Kenny. A shortstop being called out on national TV for not having his head even close to being in the game; A dead man walking manager not knowing about it, and saying he would have to "talk to his infield people, or call Bobby to see what he saw": It's all just, so....CUB. These are classic, textbook examples of everything that is Cub, what it means to be a Cub, what Cubs baseball has always been. This year is one of the most hilarious I have ever seen, from the godawful record, to them finally actually doing something about Zambrano for his asinine behavior, after years of enabling him. The whole lack of accountability, leadership, and people who know what they are doing over there just cracks me up. I was literally laughing out loud on Sunday night when they were showing Castro and Valentine was ranting. I laughed out loud again yesterday when I heard Quade's response to questions about it. All of these things just scream CUBS BASEBALL, and CUB-DOM. You can't make this stuff up.

103 years and counting. But hey, let's get out those white W flags and sing and dance when they play "Go Cubs Go" the next time they win a game, to improve their record to only 16 games under .500. Wrigley Field. Idiots watching losers.
Post of the week.

g0g0
08-23-2011, 11:21 AM

:rolleyes:
I don't see what 1/2 of that crap you just said was any different from any other team in MLB. It's hard to bench one of your starters in Z when you had some horrible luck with pitcher injuries early in the season. GMs and managers will always look on the bright side as they never want to be fired. So what's the big distinction? The worst thing here is Castro and Quade - they should have known better. Castro for looking like a 5 year old out there, and Quade for being completely oblivious to his players. As for records, just be happy that you are in the AL Central this year...

kittle42
08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't see what 1/2 of that crap you just said was any different from any other team in MLB. It's hard to bench one of your starters in Z when you had some horrible luck with pitcher injuries early in the season. GMs and managers will always look on the bright side as they never want to be fired. So what's the big distinction? The worst thing here is Castro and Quade - they should have known better. Castro for looking like a 5 year old out there, and Quade for being completely oblivious to his players. As for records, just be happy that you are in the AL Central this year...

Cubs suck. They've sucked for 103 years. They suck now. Their baseball-loving fanbase is as loyal as any. The other 70% (obviously, a scientific figure) of their "fans" are a disgrace to sports fandom, America, and the Earth.

Foulke You
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
As for records, just be happy that you are in the AL Central this year...
The NL Central went a combined 37W-56L against the American League this year including a 6W-9L record from division leading Milwaukee. They also feature baseball's worst team (by far) in the Houston Astros so let's not pretend that the Cubs play in a far tougher place than the White Sox do.:rolleyes:

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Yes he does sometimes, but he was absolutely right in this case. Castro literally had his back to home plate while a pitch was delivered. There is no excuse for that type of behavior, and it shouldn't take an analyst on national TV to catch it.

I agree. He was correct in this case, I was just saying how I feel about him in general.