PDA

View Full Version : Thome Waiver Wire Mega-Thread

vinny
08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/twins-place-jim-thome-on-waivers.html)

Late season pickup for the Sox?

Boondock Saint
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
**** the Twins.

delben91
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Doesn't mean they'll release him, could be floating him for a trade before 31 August...

asindc
08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Probably to allow him to be picked up by a contender if it's going to happen. Also gives them one more spot for a minor league call up.

downstairs
08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Hope a contender picks him up for the stretch. We can't because we have DH and MVP candidate Adam Dunn.

amsteel
08-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Probably to allow him to be picked up by a contender if it's going to happen. Also gives them one more spot for a minor league call up.

Assuming he stays in the AL he'd have to get passed over by about 10 teams to make it to a contender, for as low as his salary is, he could get picked up by just about anyone. Especially, as the article noted, that signing team may be compensated with a draft pick.

asindc
08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Assuming he stays in the AL he'd have to get passed over by about 10 teams to make it to a contender, for as low as his salary is, he could get picked up by just about anyone. Especially, as the article noted, that signing team may be compensated with a draft pick.

I can't imagine why a non-contender would pick him up, despite the low salary. It seems pointless unless you can use some thump off the bench to possibly get over the hump.

TomBradley72
08-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Based on what I've read- the Twins are trying to help Thome get to the postseason one more time- similar to what the Sox did a few years ago sending him to LA.

getonbckthr
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
In all seriousness, why not put a claim in for him? Thier saying Quentin won't be ready until Friday at the earliest sounds like a DL stint may be the best option.

palehozenychicty
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Nice coronation. Maybe they'll want Dunn? ..since they like spending money these days.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
There is no excuse to not make a claim. It can't hurt us like Kenny's last major waiver claim did.

blandman
08-22-2011, 04:48 PM
The good news is of all the teams in the playoff race, we'll be first in waiver line to win a claim.

Wait, that's probably not good news...

Chez
08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Uless Konerko is ready to play 1B (and this morning's article in the Tribune makes that seem doubtful), Paulie is our DH.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Especially, as the article noted, that signing team may be compensated with a draft pick.Does anybody think he'll be a type-A or B free agent?

amsteel
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Does anybody think he'll be a type-A or B free agent?

As of 8/15, he's close.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/elias-rankings-update-1.html

Not sure if the stats used for those numbers are rate-based or cumulative, either way, I bet if he keeps playing he'd make it.

blandman
08-22-2011, 05:04 PM
As of 8/15, he's close.

Not sure if the stats used for those numbers are rate-based or cumulative, either way, I bet if he keeps playing he'd make it.

That's perfect, because Ozzie is on record as saying he wouldn't have anywhere to play him.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
The Sox have to put in a claim just to block Cleveland in my opinion. Hafner is injured and I can just see Cleveland wanting him to finish his days there. Cleveland doesn't deserve him.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2011, 05:07 PM
As of 8/15, he's close.

Interesting, thanks.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2011, 05:07 PM
There is no excuse to not make a claim. It can't hurt us like Kenny's last major waiver claim did.There is no reason AT ALL to make a claim for him.
1) Carlos is a RF, so him being injured doesn't play in.
2) You don't platoon lefthanded hitting DHs, especially when neither of them can hit lefties.
3) Adding him to the roster would mean Lilly or De Aza would be sent down. Both have been very valuable of late.
4) Thome is slower than Konerko at this point. Any time he gets on base after the 6th he would have to be pulled for a pinch runner, which would complicate things because one of them will have to be sent down to bring Thome in.
5) Konerko is the DH until his leg heals, and Jim can't even play 1B in an emergency. Not even fo the extent that Dunn "plays" 1B.
6) If we need to bring in a bat because Quentin can't go on Friday, Tank is ready for the call. In fact, I imagine he will join the Sox on Friday incase Quentin can't play then, at which time he would be called up and Quentin would be DL'ed. Regardless, Tank will be called up before 8/31 so he would be eligible for the playoff roster.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
There is no reason AT ALL to make a claim for him.
1) Carlos is a RF, so him being injured doesn't play in.
2) You don't platoon lefthanded hitting DHs, especially when neither of them can hit lefties.
3) Adding him to the roster would mean Lilly or De Aza would be sent down. Both have been very valuable of late.
4) Thome is slower than Konerko at this point. Any time he gets on base after the 6th he would have to be pulled for a pinch runner, which would complicate things because one of them will have to be sent down to bring Thome in.
5) Konerko is the DH until his leg heals, and Jim can't even play 1B in an emergency. Not even fo the extent that Dunn "plays" 1B.
6) If we need to bring in a bat because Quentin can't go on Friday, Tank is ready for the call. In fact, I imagine he will join the Sox on Friday incase Quentin can't play then, at which time he would be called up and Quentin would be DL'ed. Regardless, Tank will be called up before 8/31 so he would be eligible for the playoff roster.

So you'd rather let him pass to the Tribe, who are now without a DH? That alone is every reason to claim him. If you need to make a roster spot for him, then just dump Dunn on Charlotte. If the NY Rangers could send Wade Redden to the AHL, then we can send Dunn to Charlotte.

I'd claim Thome and put PK on the DL so he can fully heal and we would have him 100% in a few weeks.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2011, 05:20 PM
So you'd rather let him pass to the Tribe, who are now without a DH? That alone is every reason to claim him. If you need to make a roster spot for him, then just dump Dunn on Charlotte. If the NY Rangers could send Wade Redden to the AHL, then we can send Dunn to Charlotte.

I'd claim Thome and put PK on the DL so he can fully heal and we would have him 100% in a few weeks.Dunn can't be sent to Charlotte and hockey comparisions are meaningless here. Dunn is going to be on the roster regardless. If Konerko can hit and there is no further risk of damage, you absolutely have to play him. Look at his numbers compared to what Thome has done this year playing only against favorable matchups (when not injured). Konerko has been playing every day, against lefties and righties, putting up those great numbers. There is no comparison. As I said, if Konerko or Quentin needs to go on the DL, Viciedo will be called up. That is the only move that makes sense. As for the Tribe 1) they have Hafner; and 2) You don't severely screw yourself over just to spite a team whcih probably isn't going to finish ahead of you anyway.

amsteel
08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
The Sox have to put in a claim just to block Cleveland in my opinion. Hafner is injured and I can just see Cleveland wanting him to finish his days there. Cleveland doesn't deserve him.

It's not worth signing another all or nothing, no defense player, based on (decidely positive) memories and the chance he becomes a Type-B free agent. As much as I really want a 2011 AL Central second place t-shirt, I'm really not that concerned with what Cleveland does at this point.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Dunn can't be sent to Charlotte and hockey comparisions are meaningless here. Dunn is going to be on the roster regardless. If Konerko can hit and there is no further risk of damage, you absolutely have to play him. Look at his numbers compared to what Thome has done this year playing only against favorable matchups (when not injured). Konerko has been playing every day, against lefties and righties, putting up those great numbers. There is no comparison. As I said, if Konerko or Quentin needs to go on the DL, Viciedo will be called up. That is the only move that makes sense. As for the Tribe 1) they have Hafner; and 2) You don't severely screw yourself over just to spite a team whcih probably isn't going to finish ahead of you anyway.

Hafner was just placed on the DL so they don't have him. If we don't claim Thome, the Tribe will. The last thing we want to do is help Cleveland and letting Thome go there will do just that. I hate Cleveland more than the Twins. If all we do is destroy their season, then it's worth it in my book.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/31474916

Hafner to DL. This would be worthy of its own thread, except for the Thome waiver talk.

This reason, and this reason alone is all I need to say make a waiver claim.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Hafner was just placed on the DL so they don't have him. If we don't claim Thome, the Tribe will. The last thing we want to do is help Cleveland and letting Thome go there will do just that. I hate Cleveland more than the Twins. If all we do is destroy their season, then it's worth it in my book.So, they will replace Hafner with an all-or-nothing player who literally can't run or field a position, who will at best play part-time and never against lefties. I am not concerned. As I said before, if Konerko is physically able to hit (and hit well), there is no reason to put him on the DL. I don't want to send down Lillibridge or De Aza (who are both contributing) for a part time DH when we already have a full time DH in Konerko (at the moment) and a part-time DH in Dunn. The Indians are finishing in third place whether they get Thome or not.

asindc
08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/31474916

Hafner to DL. This would be worthy of its own thread, except for the Thome waiver talk.

This reason, and this reason alone is all I need to say make a waiver claim.

Who would you send down from the current roster (Dunn is not eligible for reasons stated in OldRoman's post)?

Chez
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Can the Twins pull Thome back off waivers if the Indians make a claim? Seems like the Twins are anxious to help Thome and if Thome doesn't want to return to Cleveland, the Twins would likely pull him back [if they can]. But if Jim doesn't mind going back to Cleveland . . .

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Who would you send down from the current roster (Dunn is not eligible for reasons stated in OldRoman's post)?

You DL either PK or TCQ. Calling up Tank now just starts the arb clock on him. By the time PK or TCQ return, it's after September 1 and the roster expands to 40. Tank will be up here Sep 1, you can count on that. You also get the added bonus of not starting the arbitration clock on him. Let's start that Opening Day next season.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Can the Twins pull Thome back off waivers if the Indians make a claim? Seems like the Twins are anxious to help Thome and if Thome doesn't want to return to Cleveland, the Twins would likely pull him back [if they can]. But if Jim doesn't mind going back to Cleveland . . .

I don't see Jim having a problem with going back to Cleveland. He never said a bad thing about Cleveland. It's the lowlifes of Cleveland who don't want him and booed him. Oh well, given how they treated him I just have to say that they deserve their wretched fate of living in Cleveland.

Chez
08-22-2011, 05:48 PM
You DL either PK or TCQ. Calling up Tank now just starts the arb clock on him. By the time PK or TCQ return, it's after September 1 and the roster expands to 40. Tank will be up here Sep 1, you can count on that. You also get the added bonus of not starting the arbitration clock on him. Let's start that Opening Day next season.

Your logic on Viciedo makes some sense. But even on one leg, Konerko is our best hitter (and vastly superior to Thome). So it makes no sense to DL Paulie. Assuming TCQ needs to go on the DL, where is Thome going to play? Until healthy, Konerko is your DH and in nine days (if you've given up on Dunn), Viciedo can come up and DH or play 1B/RF.

kittle42
08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Hafner was just placed on the DL so they don't have him. If we don't claim Thome, the Tribe will. The last thing we want to do is help Cleveland and letting Thome go there will do just that. I hate Cleveland more than the Twins. If all we do is destroy their season, then it's worth it in my book.

Can you at least admit your passion is simply Indians hate and is devoid of sound baseball reasoning?

delben91
08-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but since he's already made his ML debut, hasn't the arbitration clock on Viciedo started?

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but since he's already made his ML debut, hasn't the arbitration clock on Viciedo started?

****, you're right on that one. I forgot he was up mid-season last year and had 80 something at-bats.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
You DL either PK or TCQ. Calling up Tank now just starts the arb clock on him. By the time PK or TCQ return, it's after September 1 and the roster expands to 40. Tank will be up here Sep 1, you can count on that. You also get the added bonus of not starting the arbitration clock on him. Let's start that Opening Day next season.The "super 2" arbitration issue with Viciedo passed in early August. They can call him up now without costing them any time on the clock since he was up last year. And as I said, I assume he will be with the Sox on Friday, ready to go into the lineup if Carlos still isn't ready to go. Even if nobody is put on the DL, Kinney will be sent down on August 31 and Tank will be called up so he can be eligible for the playoff roster.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Can you at least admit your passion is simply Indians hate and is devoid of sound baseball reasoning?

It is a small part of it.

There is also the fact that it ensures we do not see Dunn again until next season after he gets his ass back into shape. There is also the fact that seeing Thome in a Sox uniform again would be nice. This current team is pretty unlikable, just about everyone on WSI will say so. Any type of addition at this point would be welcome. If we could take that steroid using ******* last season, than why not a class act this season?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't see Jim having a problem with going back to Cleveland. He never said a bad thing about Cleveland. It's the lowlifes of Cleveland who don't want him and booed him. Oh well, given how they treated him I just have to say that they deserve their wretched fate of living in Cleveland.

You know if he were to come back, the Thome Indians jerseys would be back out in full force and the crowd would give him a hero's welcome.

Given the way Cleveland booed him and reviled him, they don't deserve to have him be a part of their playoff push.

kittle42
08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
It is a small part of it.

There is also the fact that it ensures we do not see Dunn again until next season after he gets his ass back into shape. There is also the fact that seeing Thome in a Sox uniform again would be nice. This current team is pretty unlikable, just about everyone on WSI will say so. Any type of addition at this point would be welcome. If we could take that steroid using ******* last season, than why not a class act this season?

But Dunn isn't getting sent down to the minors. Without that, this move only hurts the team. Blocking Cleveland should be of no consideration.

gobears1987
08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
But Dunn isn't getting sent down to the minors. Without that, this move only hurts the team. Blocking Cleveland should be of no consideration.

PK might be hitting now, but it still might make more sense to DL him so he's 100% in September. In 2008, the Sox faced the same dilemma. Putting PK on the DL in August that year and allowing him to heal paid massive dividends as he carried the team in September when he carried a TCQ-less team. We can't forget that PK's glove is an asset, especially with Alexei making the throws from short. Having PK healthy enough to play the field is important to this team.

delben91
08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
PK might be hitting now, but it still might make more sense to DL him so he's 100% in September. In 2008, the Sox faced the same dilemma. Putting PK on the DL in August that year and allowing him to heal paid massive dividends as he carried the team in September when he carried a TCQ-less team. We can't forget that PK's glove is an asset, especially with Alexei making the throws from short. Having PK healthy enough to play the field is important to this team.

Konerko is the only starter hitting with any consistency, putting him on the DL to help with any notional September stretch drive would in reality probably kill any chances of there being such a stretch drive.

amsteel
08-22-2011, 06:14 PM

On Aug 22 2008, the Sox were 1 game out and 18 games over .500, this is not the same scenario.

Here are Thome's and Hafner's AVG/SLG/OPS/HR/RBI lines for 2011
Thome: .256/.365/.868/12/40
Hafner: .281/.364/.812/11/49

So by signing Thome, statistically they're basically renting a healthy Hafner. I don't know what CLE's bench or minors looks like, but it's not like Thome/Hafner is gonna lead them on a magical September. Also, fans in Cleveland are *******s, and *******s don't deserve nice things.

Also, PK, clearly not at 100% is batting .459 since 8/11. Unless he is literally physically unable to play, keep him in.

TheCQExperience
08-22-2011, 06:17 PM
There is absolutely no chance they DL Konerko at this point.

IMO, the Sox need to bring in another bat. I don't care if it's Viciedo or Thome, but the injuries are mounting and Dunn is not a viable option at this point.

I'd much prefer they just called up Viciedo, but I wouldn't be opposed to Thome.

Just send Kinney back down. The Sox should be able to deal with a light pen until Sept. 1.

salty99
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Does Kinney have any minor league options left?

A. Cavatica
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
The good news is of all the teams in the playoff race, we'll be first in waiver line to win a claim.

Wait, that's probably not good news...

The bad news is we are not in the playoff race. :scratch:

thomas35forever
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
As others have said, it's not worth it to make a waiver claim just to block a team that is looking more likely to finish behind you anyway. I know Dunn sucks ass right now, but remember, Thome has not been completely healthy this year. Yes, he's healthy now, but what has his production been this year? I'll let you find out the answer to that, but I don't see how Thome is anymore beneficial to this team than Dunn is for the simple fact that's he's nothing more than a minor upgrade to a player who is very similar to him.

I also can't believe the possibility of putting Paulie on the DL is even being discussed here. Clearly one of the better hitters in the league, benching him for any stretch would only hurt our remaining chances at the division. It's not smart and it's not right.

TDog
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
The Twins have no reason to keep Thome now that he has hit his 600th home run. I don't know that any team, Indians or White Sox included, would want to waste a roster spot on him before the end of the month.

forrestg
08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
The Twins have no reason to keep Thome now that he has hit his 600th home run. I don't know that any team, Indians or White Sox included, would want to waste a roster spot on him before the end of the month.
How about catching and going ahead of Sosa at 606.

TDog
08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
How about catching and going ahead of Sosa at 606.

Nobody, at most very few, cares about that. The milestone was 600. It isn't as if Thome is threatening Bonds.

The problem would be having someone on the roster who doesn't have a position but can only come up to the plate and hit. The Sox already have Dunn filling that role, and too often filling that role, either on the bench or as a defensive liability.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 01:07 AM
If you need to make a roster spot for him, then just dump Dunn on Charlotte.Just how many times does it have to be explained that Dunn cannot be sent down to the minors before people stop suggesting it? First, he'd have to clear waivers. Probably no problem. But then, he'd have to agree to it, and if he doesn't, the Sox can only release him, while still owing him the rest of his contract, and any team could then take him for the MLB minimum salary, which I'm quite certain somebody would be willing to chance. So, I can't imagine he'd accept an assignment to the minors when he could stay in the majors and get a fresh start elsewhere, with the Sox paying almost his entire salary for the next four years. I seriously doubt that he's developed any attachment to the Sox given his experience here.

cards press box
08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Just how many times does it have to be explained that Dunn cannot be sent down to the minors before people stop suggesting it? First, he'd have to clear waivers. Probably no problem. But then, he'd have to agree to it, and if he doesn't, the Sox can only release him, while still owing him the rest of his contract, and any team could then take him for the MLB minimum salary, which I'm quite certain somebody would be willing to chance. So, I can't imagine he'd accept an assignment to the minors when he could stay in the majors and get a fresh start elsewhere, with the Sox paying almost his entire salary for the next four years. I seriously doubt that he's developed any attachment to the Sox given his experience here.

O.K., then send Dunn to the disabled list with a deflated batting average a/k/a some alleged minor injury. That would open up a roster spot prior to 8/31.

SOXSINCE'70
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
The Twins have also waived Jason Kubel.

Now THAT'S someone the Sox should pick up.
If only for the fact that he won't bat AGAINST
them for the rest of the year.

Domeshot17
08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
The Twins have also waived Jason Kubel.

Now THAT'S someone the Sox should pick up.
If only for the fact that he won't bat AGAINST
them for the rest of the year.

That line of thought worked so well with Teahen. I personally would love to see Jim back. Rotate Dunn and Konerko at 1b/DH, give Jim days off, Dunn with limited time in the OF with Carlos day to day. I know people have this huge myth on Dunn's OF defense, but he really isn't that much worse than Quentin. Plus, Jim probably could help Dunn with the mental approach of being a DH.

Noneck
08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Heres Thomes chance to play for his cubs before he quits. What the cubs would pay him they could easly recover, with bus loads of peorians coming to see him one more time.

Rocky Soprano
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Heres Thomes chance to play for his cubs before he quits. What the cubs would pay him they could easly recover, with bus loads of peorians coming to see him one more time.

Thome can't play 1B.

Noneck
08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Thome can't play 1B.

Why not? His career is over, the cubs season is over, He can stand with a mitt at 1st and catch a ball, he is not disabled.

boiker
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/twins-place-jim-thome-on-waivers.html)

Late season pickup for the Sox?

I know it's teal, but it would make more sense than marching Dunn up there.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2011, 11:09 AM
That line of thought worked so well with Teahen. I personally would love to see Jim back. Rotate Dunn and Konerko at 1b/DH, give Jim days off, Dunn with limited time in the OF with Carlos day to day. I know people have this huge myth on Dunn's OF defense, but he really isn't that much worse than Quentin. Plus, Jim probably could help Dunn with the mental approach of being a DH.1) Who do you want to kick off the roster so we can have a second platoon lefty DH?
2) No, Dunn's attrocious defense CANNOT be overstated. People overstated the hell out of Carlos' defense last year. This year his defense has been more than solid. He was bad last year, but having another year under his belt in RF he hasn't been a liability at all this year. However, Dunn is one of the few players that you might be able to legitimately pull a preverbial guy out of the stands and have him play better D than Dunn. He is a huge liability in left, let along right! Last year's Quentin in RF is Roberto Clemente compared to Dunn. He would be a nightmare in RF. Besides, Konerko currently is the DH and according to Ozzie he won't be playing 1B for at least a few more weeks. Unlike Thome and Dunn, Konerko can hit every day; you aren't going to sit him against righties to get Thome ABs. Thome would be a pinch hitter. Thome also has a very long swing and is streaky, requiring constant ABs to stay in a groove. Look at what he did for the Dodgers two years ago as a pinch hitter - nothing but singles. There is aboslutely no reason to claim him.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I know it's teal, but it would make more sense than marching Dunn up there.Possibly in a vaccuum, but not in the real world where corresponding moves would have to be made and contributing players would have to be sent down to make it happen.

asindc
08-23-2011, 11:15 AM
That line of thought worked so well with Teahen. I personally would love to see Jim back. Rotate Dunn and Konerko at 1b/DH, give Jim days off, Dunn with limited time in the OF with Carlos day to day. I know people have this huge myth on Dunn's OF defense, but he really isn't that much worse than Quentin. Plus, Jim probably could help Dunn with the mental approach of being a DH.

No, it's not a myth, and yes, he is that much worse the Quentin.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 11:56 AM
O.K., then send Dunn to the disabled list with a deflated batting average a/k/a some alleged minor injury. That would open up a roster spot prior to 8/31.You can't get away with that, either, unless maybe Dunn was willing to go along with it. The players' association would scream bloody murder if teams started using the DL that way.

Oblong
08-23-2011, 12:19 PM
You can't get away with that, either, unless maybe Dunn was willing to go along with it. The players' association would scream bloody murder if teams started using the DL that way.
right... and even if Dunn agreed the PA would still sue. And win. The PA works for all players who are members, not just the individual in question. Dunn couldn't stop them.

I don't see any way Cleveland doesn't put a claim in if it gets to them. With Hafner going down it makes way too much sense for them.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
right... and even if Dunn agreed the PA would still sue. And win. The PA works for all players who are members, not just the individual in question. Dunn couldn't stop them.I just meant if he was willing to pretend he was injured.

JB98
08-23-2011, 01:28 PM
As long as Konerko is unable to play 1B, there is no reason for the Sox to put in a claim on Thome. The Sox are going to have to DH Konerko for the rest of the year from the way it sounds. There simply isn't any space for Thome, despite his status as a respected figure.

The Sox should have kept Thome for the 2010 season. Despite Ozzie's claims to the contrary, there WERE at-bats available for him last year. This year, the situation has changed.

There is room for Viciedo, IMO, but not Thome.

tacosalbarojas
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Personally, I do not understand why Viciedo wasn't brought up for this trip already and Q DLd retroactive to Saturday because it sure doesn't sound real positive that he's going to play, at least this series.

kittle42
08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Personally, I do not understand why Viciedo wasn't brought up for this trip already and Q DLd retroactive to Saturday because it sure doesn't sound real positive that he's going to play, at least this series.

Because it guarantees Quentin missing an extra week of games?

JB98
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Because it guarantees Quentin missing an extra week of games?

I've been thinking along the lines of Viciedo replacing Dunn, not Quentin. Unfortunately, I think the Sox are still trying to massage Dunn's ego to the detriment of the other guys on the roster.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking along the lines of Viciedo replacing Dunn, not Quentin. Unfortunately, I think the Sox are still trying to massage Dunn's ego to the detriment of the other guys on the roster.We've already had this discussion. How are you going to have Viciedo replace Dunn on the roster?

Noneck
08-23-2011, 02:47 PM
We've already had this discussion. How are you going to have Viciedo replace Dunn on the roster?

I guess Viciedo could replace Dunns responsibilities and the roster spot could be opened if Quentin is DLed. I just dont see the Sox using up a Viciedo option for a week.

TDog
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I guess Viciedo could replace Dunns responsibilities and the roster spot could be opened if Quentin is DLed. I just dont see the Sox using up a Viciedo option for a week.

Quentin would have to be ineligible for 15 days going back to his last game.

When the rosters expand on Sept. 1, Viciedo will come up. I think he's going to be a fine hitter, but he will probably disappoint many here.

Many, many White Sox fans wanted Dunn. Now they are stuck with him.

#1swisher
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
From what I've read, Viciedo has ongoing issues regarding his broken thumb.

EDIT: Latest, sounds like he's been healed.

@KnightsBaseball

Base hit for Escobar, brings Danks across the plate, bases remain
loaded for Viciedo who has two home runs already today.

21 Aug

Noneck
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
From what I've read, Viciedo has ongoing issues regarding his broken thumb.

Hand and wrist injuries are a bitch for ball players. They take a long time heal. Speaking of, I doubt AJ will ever be the same as a result of his injury.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
...I doubt AJ will ever be the same as a result of his injury.Gone over the x-rays and MRI results, have ya?

delben91
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Speaking of, I doubt AJ will ever be the same as a result of his injury.

Pretty bold statement. Speaking of, how's Pujols doing since his wrist injury?

Noneck
08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Gone over the x-rays and MRI results, have ya?

Even if I had access to them, It would be like reading arabic to me.

Pretty bold statement. Speaking of, how's Pujols doing since his wrist injury?

Ok you guys have the right to bust me on this one, it is just something an orthopedic surgeon told me back when. He told me hand and wrist injury's can be very difficult to recover from for a baseball player. I guess I generalized, we will see about AJ.

JB98
08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
We've already had this discussion. How are you going to have Viciedo replace Dunn on the roster?

They don't need 12 pitchers.

Sockinchisox
08-23-2011, 11:35 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/7243142-574/white-sox-said-to-be-interested-in-jim-thome-again.html

WhiteSox5187
08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I LOVE Jim Thome but I don't see how he fits on this team. But were we to get him I would love to see a fairy tale ending where he comes back and some how leads us to a division title and we win the World Series. Of course I would also love see myself named People's Sexiest Man Alive too.

Brian26
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Ugh.

Honestly, Thome deserves better than to come back here. Let him go to Philadelphia and try to win a ring or let him retire with the Indians.

JB98
08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Ugh.

Honestly, Thome deserves better than to come back here. Let him go to Philadelphia and try to win a ring or let him retire with the Indians.

I agree. Would like to see Jim get a ring before he retires. It could happen in Philly. It won't happen here.

Brian26
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
But were we to get him I would love to see a fairy tale ending where he comes back and some how leads us to a division title and we win the World Series.

Please, a fairy tell ending with the little Venezuelan manager that had to book his hotel room for an extra day after Soxfest in 2010 so he could whine and cry to Reinsdorf that he didn't want Thome back?

A Fairy-tell ending would be that Thome would go back to the Indians and help them make amends for the evil baseball gods of 1995 & 1997 or go back to the Phillies and win a ring along with Ryan Howard, the guy that ultimately replaced him.

I love Thome though.

Brian26
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I agree. Would like to see Jim get a ring before he retires. It could happen in Philly. It won't happen here.

Seriously. Halladay, Lee, Hamels twice each in a seven game series? And we've got two outfielders that can't even hit a ****ing cutoff man?

But we're going to claim him to block Cleveland to make up for the lack of production out of our DH and CF, a CF who was obtained by the way as a waiver block so that Detroit wouldn't claim him in 2009, with a DH that we never would have needed if Thome was brought back in 2010. Three wrongs don't make a right.

JB98
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Seriously. Halladay, Lee, Hamels twice each in a seven game series? And we've got two outfielders that can't even hit a ****ing cutoff man?

But we're going to claim him to block Cleveland to make up for the lack of production out of our DH and CF, a CF who was obtained by the way as a waiver block so that Detroit wouldn't claim him in 2009, with a DH that we never would have needed if Thome was brought back in 2010. Three wrongs don't make a right.

And people wonder why I've been so hard on this regime this year...

amsteel
08-24-2011, 12:20 AM
He wouldn't have made it to Philly anyway since EVERY AL and and then EVERY NL team would have had to pass on him.

Who cares, he's not gonna win a ring in Cleveland, either. If he joins the Sox, it'll be a less ****ty end to a ****ty season. He'll hit a HR and we'll all cheer and momentarily forget about Adam Dunn.

central44
08-24-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't think it makes sense, yet for some reason i'd still be really, really happy to see him in a Sox uniform again. I was furious that the Sox didn't bring him back in 2010. To this day i'm bitter about that move and I definitely think it cost the Sox a division title last year.

But i'm rambling :smile: It would be exciting if it happened. Maybe not logical, but I wouldn't complain. I just hope he gets a chance to win a title at some point in his career.

A. Cavatica
08-24-2011, 08:19 AM
This smacks of being a pure attendance gimmick.

VenturaFan23
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM
This smacks of being a pure attendance gimmick.

All in! I seriously hope he goes to a contender.

DumpJerry
08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
What's his health status? I know he has taken time off on the DL this year and has played in only 69 games so far. Last year, it was 108, also due to injury......

Over By There
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg@Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
There is a high expectation among execs that CWS will be team awarded claim to Jim Thome. What's unknown: Whether a deal can be worked out.

g0g0
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
ugh.

Honestly, thome deserves better than to come back here. Let him go to philadelphia and try to win a ring or let him retire with the indians.

+1 I see no fit with the WS and he deserves his shot at a ring or to retire with the Indians.

DumpJerry
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/518275190/olney_buster_m_normal.jpg@Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
There is a high expectation among execs that CWS will be team awarded claim to Jim Thome. What's unknown: Whether a deal can be worked out.
Swap Dunn for him. Dunn has very sound fundamentals.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
What's his health status? I know he has taken time off on the DL this year and has played in only 69 games so far. Last year, it was 108, also due to injury......

I don't think he missed a lot of time last year because of injuries, I don't think he played so much last year because for the first half they had a healthy Morneau and Mauer and Kubel was their DH.

I heard on Mike and Mike today that Buster Olney said what may happen is the Twins might pull him off of waivers and just release him which would give him the chance to go to Philly and be with Charlie Manuel again and hopefully get his ring.

seventyseven
08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
i give up.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2011, 09:42 AM

But we're going to claim him to block Cleveland to make up for the lack of production out of our DH and CF, a CF who was obtained by the way as a waiver block so that Detroit wouldn't claim him in 2009, with a DH that we never would have needed if Thome was brought back in 2010. Three wrongs don't make a right.That is 100% false. The Sox were talking to Toronto about Rios before the July deadline. A single reporter speculated, "Maybe the Sox blocked him because they thought Detroit would take him?" That line of thinking also included Kenny suppoedly not realizing after 8 years of being a GM that he could be awarded the claim and "stuck" with the player. It's not true at all, but it makes for a nice narrative.

Noneck
08-24-2011, 10:13 AM
It makes sense. I said elsewhere the cubs should take him but he probably will never pass through the AL. The Sox will recover more than Thomes salary from Peorians coming up for his last hurrah.

kittle42
08-24-2011, 10:21 AM
The Sox should do the honorable thing and let him have one last chance at a ring with a team that can actually make the playoffs.

Oblong
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Olney says that high expectations are that it was CWS to be awarded Thome but questions about a deal being worked out.

salty99
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Thome also has a no-trade clause so if he doesn't want to come here he doesn't have to.

DumpJerry
08-24-2011, 10:54 AM
We need only one thread on this topic. Since it seems to be a fact that he was on waivers (it is actually a violation of the CBA for a team to comment on whether or not a player is on waivers unless and until a deal is consummated), it'll stay in Talking Baseball.

Rocky Soprano
08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Thome also has a no-trade clause so if he doesn't want to come here he doesn't have to.

Thome's family still lives in Chicago so he might take that into consideration.

I feel bad for Thome as he has no chance of winning a ring with the Sox.

Twins Win
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
This is taken from CBSSports.com

Report: Thome to be claimed by White Sox: CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox are expected to claim DH Jim Thome on waivers. This season for the Twins, Thome is hitting .253 with 12 home runs and 40 RBI. Thome played for the White Sox from 2006-2009 before being traded to the Dodgers.

Why would the White Sox claim him? I'm stll hoping he'll go to the Phillies. I would like to see Thome get a ring.

DirtySox
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Ugh.

So very correct. As much as I love the man, I hope he isn't added to this mess.

skobabe8
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Your answer:

http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/adam-dunn-32-mlb.jpg

enurb
08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Because Dunn totally blows and cannot hit major league pitching. Thome's OPS is .859. Dunn's is .589.

Because it prevents the Indians from getting him (Hafner went or may go to the DL).

The fact that Ozzie keeps trotting Dunn out there is beyond frustrating. He is an automatic out and will not get better before the season ends. We have alternatives and always have. He should be sent home under the cover of a claim of injury and told to come back in the Spring in the best shape of his career. Hire a fitness guru who reports in with a daily log of his workout regimen and food intake. Give him one month to hit in April and, if he fails, release him and swallow hard on his salary.

DumpJerry
08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
This is taken from CBSSports.com

Report: Thome to be claimed by White Sox: CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox are expected to claim DH Jim Thome on waivers. This season for the Twins, Thome is hitting .253 with 12 home runs and 40 RBI. Thome played for the White Sox from 2006-2009 before being traded to the Dodgers.

Why would the White Sox claim him? I'm stll hoping he'll go to the Phillies. I would like to see Thome get a ring.
Really, we only need one thread on this topic. Merged.

TomBradley72
08-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Classic.

Let Thome and his ~$2M salary go to Minnesota- then spend $18+M on Kotsay/Manny Ramirez/Dunn- as part of your "get more athletic/flexible- wait- we changed our minds, we're going back to high strike out, overpriced, one dimensional veteran sluggers" strategy- then, almost 2 seasons later, after your DH's have had the lowest production in the American League in that time and you're 6.5 games out of the race- bring him back.

Awesome!

Lip Man 1
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Very, very bizarre to say the least.

Again seems to point out a real disconnect between Ozzie and Kenny over the philosophy of the team; as in how to put together a roster.

Lip

#1swisher
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
@ChuckGarfein

Here's the latest on Jim Thome. Why High Noon might be big for the
White Sox

19 minutes ago

http://www.csnchicago.com/08/24/11/Sox-Drawer-If-claimed-where-would-Thome-/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=553546&feedID=661

BleacherBandit
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I don't think Jim Thome should be brought to the White Sox.

He's not even a starting designated hitter anymore, which is what the Sox need if they want to contend in September (which they probably wouldn't do even with an upgrade at DH).

Thome was supposedly placed on waivers because the Twins a) will obviously not be resigning him next year and b) want to see him go to a contender for what might be the last post-season of his career, which the Sox are not.

soxinem1
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Classic.

Let Thome and his ~$2M salary go to Minnesota- then spend $18+M on Kotsay/Manny Ramirez/Dunn- as part of your "get more athletic/flexible- wait- we changed our minds, we're going back to high strike out, overpriced, one dimensional veteran sluggers" strategy- then, almost 2 seasons later, after your DH's have had the lowest production in the American League in that time and you're 6.5 games out of the race- bring him back.

Awesome!

I was kind of thinking the same thing: We let JT go so we could have a more versatile roster in 2010, then sign a 31 year-old all-or-nothing hitter with marginal defensive skills for $56 million, then bring JT back at age 40 to make up for the production the young guy didn't supply.

My only thinking is that KW and Ozzie might think Thome can help Dunn prepare for next year, and give him some guidance on how to handle his role. Gentleman Jim would probably be a big help in that regard, as Dunn is not going anywhere, so they might as well try to salvage the next four years and make this move.

If that is the case, fine, however since this just might be Thome's last hurrah, going to PHI or even TEX would be better so he could retire with the strong chance of getting the World Series ring he justly deserves.

EMachine10
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Thome was claimed, as well as Jason Kubel. The Sox should have put claims on each, if for nothing else, to block Cleveland.

dickallen15
08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry, I don't think Jim Thome should be brought to the White Sox.

He's not even a starting designated hitter anymore, which is what the Sox need if they want to contend in September (which they probably wouldn't do even with an upgrade at DH).

Thome was supposedly placed on waivers because the Twins a) will obviously not be resigning him next year and b) want to see him go to a contender for what might be the last post-season of his career, which the Sox are not.

Would you rather have Adam Dunn at the plate or Thome? The problem is Konerko is DHing now. If they didn't "have room" for him last year, how do they have room now?

I think claiming Thome would be doing him a huge injustice. Maybe KW is thinking about claiming him and then trading him, which I don't know is even within the waiver wire rules.

Law11
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
per twitter -
@Buster_ESPN (http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN) High expectation among execs that CWS will be awarded claim to Jim Thome. What's unknown: Whether a deal can be worked out.

Foulke You
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
MLBTR is saying that the Sox also put a claim on Jason Kubel. If we ended up with Kubel, his power numbers would drop 50% because he wouldn't be able to hit against the Sox anymore.:tongue:

kittle42
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Thome was claimed, as well as Jason Kubel. The Sox should have put claims on each, if for nothing else, to block Cleveland.

Why? To win the battle for second?

dickallen15
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
MLBTR is saying that the Sox also put a claim on Jason Kubel. If we ended up with Kubel, his power numbers would drop 50% because he wouldn't be able to hit against the Sox anymore.:tongue:
I would love Kubel in a Sox uniform.

Fenway
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Making room for Jim Thome not so simple for White Sox (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-making-room-for-thome-not-so-simple-for-white-sox-20110824,0,3018070.story)

Jerko
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Thome can't play the field, Konerko can't play the field. I don't sit Konerko for Thome no matter who the hell is pitching. This is stupid. Let Clevelend have him if this is only a blocking tactic.

KMcMahon817
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Making room for Jim Thome not so simple for White Sox (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-making-room-for-thome-not-so-simple-for-white-sox-20110824,0,3018070.story)

As the article states, you could always DFA Kinney to make room for Thome. Then you just promote Reed and another arm or two on September 1st. But, then that leaves no room for Viciedo to be called before September 1st, assuming Vizquel, De Aza and Lillibridge are all safe on the 25 man. I would think that the SOX would want Viciedo to be eligible for the playoffs, if a near-miracle were to happen.

I just don't see a deal being worked out to bring Thome back to the SOX. Kubel or Pena would be interesting, however. It has been reported that Pena has been claimed by an unknown team in the past few hours.

russ99
08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
As the article states, you could always DFA Kinney to make room for Thome. Then you just promote Reed and another arm or two on September 1st. But, then that leaves no room for Viciedo to be called before September 1st, assuming Vizquel, De Aza and Lillibridge are all safe on the 25 man. I would think that the SOX would want Viciedo to be eligible for the playoffs, if a near-miracle were to happen.

I just don't see a deal being worked out to bring Thome back to the SOX. Kubel or Pena would be interesting, however. It has been reported that Pena has been claimed by an unknown team in the past few hours.

Pena was claimed by the Yankees, supposedly, but it looks like the Sox could be in on Kubel.

Noneck
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I hope the Sox dont make any kind of deal for Thome or Kubel. Picking up their monthly salary is one thing, giving up any kind of player at this point of season is fruitless.

Brian26
08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
That is 100% false. The Sox were talking to Toronto about Rios before the July deadline. A single reporter speculated, "Maybe the Sox blocked him because they thought Detroit would take him?" That line of thinking also included Kenny suppoedly not realizing after 8 years of being a GM that he could be awarded the claim and "stuck" with the player. It's not true at all, but it makes for a nice narrative.

I didn't say the White Sox didn't have interested in Rios before he went on waivers, but the fact that they negotiated with Toronto prior to the deadline lends credence that Kenny was willing to take the contract with no compensation. It's no secret, though, that the Sox were still embrrassed that they had Miguel Cabrera stolen out from under their noses a year and a half prior. Even on the surface, this was another Kenny "makeup" move that backfired. If Rios wase on a National League team at the time, this wouldn't have even been an issue. Detroit was desperate for a centerfielder at the time (moreso than the Sox), and Kenny took the bait.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I didn't say the White Sox didn't have interested in Rios before he went on waivers, but the fact that they negotiated with Toronto prior to the deadline lends credence that Kenny was willing to take the contract with no compensation. It's no secret, though, that the Sox were still embrrassed that they had Miguel Cabrera stolen out from under their noses a year and a half prior. Even on the surface, this was another Kenny "makeup" move that backfired. If Rios wase on a National League team at the time, this wouldn't have even been an issue. Detroit was desperate for a centerfielder at the time (moreso than the Sox), and Kenny took the bait.And again, that's your opinion. Just like the "Kenny traded for Jackson just to swap him for Dunn" rumor, one person made that claim. The Sox got Rios because they wanted him. They didn't want the Tigers to get him in that they wanted him for themselves, but that move wasn't made specifically to block the Tigers. Williams knew the money left on Rios' contract, and knew there was a good chance the Jays would just give them the entire contract. No team makes that claim unless you actually want the player.

Brian26
08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
And again, that's your opinion. Just like the "Kenny traded for Jackson just to swap him for Dunn" rumor, one person made that claim.

You're wrong on this too. Kenny Williams himself stated that Rizzo and the Nationals screwed him over on this one. The plan all along was to send Edwin to the Nationals for Dunn. That's not opinion at all.

Brian26
08-24-2011, 11:52 PM
They didn't want the Tigers to get him in that they wanted him for themselves, but that move wasn't made specifically to block the Tigers. Williams knew the money left on Rios' contract, and knew there was a good chance the Jays would just give them the entire contract. No team makes that claim unless you actually want the player.

These don't have to be mutually exclusive decisions. I agree the Sox had interest, but that interest was intensified because they were trying to block the Tigers. This is common knowledge. I'm not making this up on my own. It's been widely discussed before.

Brian26
08-24-2011, 11:53 PM
By the way, Pedro Gomez of ESPN reports that Thome was claimed by Cleveland. The Sox didn't put a claim in for him, so the spirit of this discussion becomes moot now.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 12:00 AM
By the way, Pedro Gomez of ESPN reports that Thome was claimed by Cleveland. The Sox didn't put a claim in for him, so the spirit of this discussion becomes moot now.

WHAT... How are the Sox supposed to win without a bench full of guys who can't play the field

Brian26
08-25-2011, 12:02 AM
WHAT... How are the Sox supposed to win without a bench full of guys who can't play the field

They've got a field full of guys who can't play the field too, so at least there would be some symmetry.

#misscut-offman,again

blandman
08-25-2011, 12:18 AM

Pedro has since taken down that tweet.

spongyfungy
08-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm reading cleveland.com and it says cleveland put a claim on but it's believed the White Sox did as well.

article updated: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 11:53 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2011/08/cleveland_indians_make_bid_to.html

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2011, 12:26 AM

I don't mind that the Sox didn't get him and if Thome wants to go back to Cleveland good for him then but after the way they booed him when he was with the Sox (I don't know if they kept it up when he was in Minnesota) my immediate reaction is that Cleveland doesn't deserve him.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't mind that the Sox didn't get him and if Thome wants to go back to Cleveland good for him then but after the way they booed him when he was with the Sox (I don't know if they kept it up when he was in Minnesota) my immediate reaction is that Cleveland doesn't deserve him.

No offense, but I find this whole "X fans don't deserve Y player" kind of pointless. There were plenty of Sox fans who called Frank Thomas the Big Skirt during his playing days here because he wasn't "Chicago tough" enough for guys. There are Bears fans who honestly believe Lovie should turn the team over to Caleb Hanie because Jay Cutler's not likable enough since he has the audacity to not invite a bunch of media cameras in with him when he delivers toys to kids at the hospital during the holidays. ****, there were plenty of Packer fans who believed the team never should have let Brett Favre go up until they realized Aaron Rodgers was a good NFL QB.

So some people in Clevelend boo him. Big deal, when he comes back they'll cheer for him. Its sports.

Oblong
08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Getting Kubel wouldn't be "fruitless". He projects to be a Type B free agent so offering him arbitration would get you a pick in the supplemental round. Not a great prize but if all it costs you is a guy in your system you do not want then it's worth a shot.

chisoxjtrain
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Just heard on 670 The Score-White Sox awarded the claim of Jason Kubel. Indians awarded the claim of Jim Thome. Their source was Ken Rosenthal.

thomas35forever
08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Just heard on 670 The Score-White Sox awarded the claim of Jason Kubel. Indians awarded the claim of Jim Thome. Their source was Ken Rosenthal.
Interesting. I just wish that we didn't have to weaken the Twins when they're already out of the pennant race. Where's the fun in that?

mantis1212
08-25-2011, 01:03 PM
You're wrong on this too. Kenny Williams himself stated that Rizzo and the Nationals screwed him over on this one. The plan all along was to send Edwin to the Nationals for Dunn. That's not opinion at all.

Are you sure about that 5 minutes? I never heard any confirmation of this, it was just speculation. I can't believe Kenny would come out and say that.

#1swisher
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
@Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/Ken_Rosenthal)

Sources: #Indians awarded
claim on Thome, #WhiteSox
awarded claim on Kubel. Thome
has no-trade clause; preference
is #Phillies. #Twins #MLB

Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Jim-Thome-claimed-by-cleveland-indians-jason-kubel-chicago-white-sox-082511)
Twins must decide on Thome and Kubel by 1pm ET, Friday

yazz32
08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Unlikely deal will be worked out for Kubel per Ken Rosenthal article but Thome....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Jim-Thome-claimed-by-cleveland-indians-jason-kubel-chicago-white-sox-082511

thomas35forever
08-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Thome is in the lineup for the Twins today FWIW.

TDog
08-25-2011, 02:26 PM
No offense, but I find this whole "X fans don't deserve Y player" kind of pointless. There were plenty of Sox fans who called Frank Thomas the Big Skirt during his playing days here because he wasn't "Chicago tough" enough for guys. There are Bears fans who honestly believe Lovie should turn the team over to Caleb Hanie because Jay Cutler's not likable enough since he has the audacity to not invite a bunch of media cameras in with him when he delivers toys to kids at the hospital during the holidays. ****, there were plenty of Packer fans who believed the team never should have let Brett Favre go up until they realized Aaron Rodgers was a good NFL QB.

So some people in Clevelend boo him. Big deal, when he comes back they'll cheer for him. Its sports.

In 2001, with Thomas was out after injuring himself at a play at first base, the Sox picked up Jose Canseco. I went to a lot of games that summer, and I was amazed at how many White Sox fans in the stands were talking about keeping Canseco for 2002 and dumping cry-baby Thomas (their characterization, not mine). There were enough that I would hear it a lot. All of the problems people had with Thomas when he was with the White Sox were forgotten when he left, and you probably won't find a Sox fan who admits today to any Canseco love.

I have always considered Jim Thome an Indian, or at least an Indian in exile, even when he was leading the National League in home runs. He is a shadow of the player he used to be. I don't see any problem with him going back to the Indians to end his career.

manders_01
08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
@Ken_Rosenthal (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/Ken_Rosenthal)

Sources: #Indians awarded
claim on Thome, #WhiteSox
awarded claim on Kubel. Thome
has no-trade clause; preference
is #Phillies. #Twins #MLB

Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-Jim-Thome-claimed-by-cleveland-indians-jason-kubel-chicago-white-sox-082511)
Twins must decide on Thome and Kubel by 1pm ET, Friday

Hmmmm, go to a team that has a realistic shot of going deep into the postseason or go to a team that doesn't and has fans boo you incessantly? I know which one I'd prefer too. :smile:

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Thome has agreed to deal sending him to the Indians.
Per mlb trade rumors.

Domeshot17
08-26-2011, 12:35 AM
This just makes the Indians closer to competing with the White Sox.

Chez
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
If Jim wants to end his career where it began in Cleveland, then I'm happy for him. And kudos to the Twinkies for facilitating it.

#1swisher
08-26-2011, 07:40 PM
@ChuckGarfein

Jim Thome batting clean-up for Indians. New teammates all
wearing their socks up high like Thome as a tribute.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-26-2011, 10:01 PM
@ChuckGarfein

That's pretty awesome, as much as I hate the Tribe.

beasly213
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
@ChuckGarfein

As a tribute? :scratch: He's not dead. He's in the freaking lineup with them!

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Indians fans gave him a huge ovation. Hypocrites.

Boondock Saint
08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
As a tribute? :scratch: He's not dead. He's in the freaking lineup with them!

trib·ute

   [trib-yoot]
noun 1. a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem.

thomas35forever
08-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Indians fans gave him a huge ovation. Hypocrites.
Indeed, but then they all realized that Jim will be wearing their cap when he's enshrined in the Hall, plus he's back, so all was forgiven.

esbrechtel
08-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Thome was the first Lebron....

asindc
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Thome was the first Lebron....

So, instead of taking his talents to South Beach, he took them to South Street?

TommyJohn
08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
So, instead of taking his talents to South Beach, he took them to South Street?

He took his talents to South Philly, the South Side, South California (nah, doesn't have the same ring) and...South Minny?? Dunno.