PDA

View Full Version : Marc Hill Interview

Lip Man 1
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
He was considered one of the top back-up’s at his position in the league. Marc Hill was with the Sox for almost five seasons in the early 80’s and saw a lot in his time including a divisional championship in 1983.

“Booter” talked about those days and events in the current interview at White Sox Interactive.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=4196

Among the areas he and I discussed were:

Why the 1983 club got off to such a bad start.
What real ‘leadership’ is on a team and how it can mean the difference between at the very least, a winning season or a losing one.
How he scored from 2nd base on a sacrifice fly at Yankee Stadium in 1983.
A breakdown on each of the Sox starting pitchers during his days on the team…from Hoyt to Seaver.
Who was the “meanest” pitcher on the staff? (The answer will surprise you)

Hill also ended the interview with some of the funniest baseball stories you’ll ever read involving former Sox G.M. Roland Hemond and another with Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson.

I hope you’ll enjoy reading this one as much as I did conducting it!

Lip

kittle42
08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Can someone ask him why I kept getting duplicates of his 1986 Topps card?

Lip Man 1
08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Former catchers (Daver) among the fans at WSI will enjoy it because Hill gets into the science / philosophy of catching and also explains what takes place in pregame meetings.

Lip

kittle42
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Former catchers (Daver) among the fans at WSI will enjoy it because Hill gets into the science / philosophy of catching and also explains what takes place in pregame meetings.

Lip

Daver was a catcher?

Paulwny
08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Lip, another great interview.

Crestani
08-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Lip, another great interview.

Agree....Very enjoyable reading...Good job Lip!

TomBradley72
08-22-2011, 03:36 PM
"There were many nights we'd actually sleep in the clubhouse because we'd have an afternoon game the next day and stayed up late talking so rather than drive home we'd sack on couches."

I wonder if Adam, Alex and this years team do this?

GREAT job Lip-

bluedemon45
08-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Lip-

I'm only in my early 20's and I really don't know much history on the White Sox from about the 1994 strike and earlier. I gathered so much info from your interview on the White Sox and the game of baseball. It was a great read.

slavko
08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice memories. Still have a spot in my heart for the Booter. Hey Lip, the 1955 Yankees had Yogi, Elston Howard, and Charlie Silvera. That's as good as Fisk, Hill, Essian as a trio of catchers.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Slavko:

True but my reference was to baseball in that season of 1981.

Glad folks enjoy these.

More to come in the future.

Next up, might, might (I haven't decided yet) be a former Chicago sports anchor and one of the first hosts on SportsVision.

Lip

Noneck
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
1st I didn't realize he was with the Sox as long as he was. I wonder why he doesnt follow baseball anymore considering how long he was involved in the game. Maybe it was the people involved in the game and not the game itself that interested him?

The leadership stuff was interesting and they did have quite a few real leaders during that period. I cant imagine how the Sox could hang around the clubhouse now a days with loose lips ozwaldo and his spawns. I bet the players get out of dodge asap.

Another goodie, thanks Lip.

RadioheadRocks
08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
"Save the Booter!"

(if you remember this, you're getting up there!!!)

fisk4ever
08-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Good questions, interesting answers. Thanks.

Brian26
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I hope you’ll enjoy reading this one as much as I did conducting it!

Lip

Another great interview and a fun read. Thanks for posting that. It brought back many memories.

I still recall falling asleep during the rain delay of that Angels game you talked about it. I woke up the next morning and couldn't believe they had won in extras.

billyvsox
08-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Great interview Lip!!

Add Timo Perez to the list of famed Sox bench players

Lip Man 1
08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Brian:

I actually had a sportscast that I had to do on Sunday mornings at KNOE-TV (we had six on a weekend, three on Saturday, three on Sunday...) during the newscast and I remember listening to that game on my sofa that Saturday night. It was almost two in the morning when that game ended and I had to get up by eight but I wasn't going to miss who won after what the Sox did in the 9th inning.

Great times, great memories.

Lip

SI1020
08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
You don't have to interview a star player to get a good story. I'm an OF Sox fan and until 05 came along the 83 team was my favorite. There are many great little vignettes here. This is so much better than the drek that passes for sports journalism today. It's time for a book, perhaps a compilation of these interviews, or using them as a basis to expand them into some kind of White Sox historical.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2011, 06:21 PM
SI:

I've thought about something like that, since I've done about 60 of these...but I have no idea how you'd go about seeing if anybody wanted to publish such a thing.

Maybe Dan H. can go to his publisher? :D:

Lip

kba
08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Next up, might, might (I haven't decided yet) be a former Chicago sports anchor and one of the first hosts on SportsVision.
Lip

Hmm. Duane Dow? Mike Leiderman?

Lip Man 1
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
:whistle:

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Another great interview and a good read, Lip. I was interested in one thing though. Hill says that he took a minor league assignment to Great Falls because some other out-of-shape player who wasn't playing too much turned down the request. Did you get any indication of who he was referring to here? My guess would be Lamar Johnson, who only appeared in 47 games in 1981 (thank you, basecall-reference.com) and always was on the chunky side.

SMO
:?::scratch:

Lip Man 1
09-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Ozzie:

Ding, ding, ding...and we have a winner!

Lip

StillMissOzzie
09-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Ozzie:

Ding, ding, ding...and we have a winner!

Lip

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

SMO
:gulp: