PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/21 Sox beat Rangers 10-0

ShooterMcGavin
08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Gavin Floyd with the win.

shes
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Just when I'm ready to give up on the season...

mccoydp
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
That was refreshing!

:winner

soxfanatlanta
08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Nice way to start the week.

SoxSpeed22
08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
This is rare, an easy blowout win.
Floyd was dominant and I like De Aza a lot.

FielderJones
08-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I like this Flowers kid a lot too. Seems like he can hit MLB pitching.

billyvsox
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
And Tigers sweep the Toons, this is soon to be a 2 team race. Hows that Ubaldo Jiminez working out...ha.

Sox still with a chance, need a good west coast swing... say 4-1 and get somw help from Tampa and Twins.

Crooked Number
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
The kids can play. De Aza, Flowers, The Bridge. They all need to be in the lineup as much as possible.

Second half Gavin is a thing of beauty to watch. If only he could take the month of August, then clone it for the whole season he would be an all star. Rios played well today, had some nice catches in CF, and hit a meaningless homerun. Of course he would do that. At the very least, he can hit a mistake meatball still, instead of Dunn, who can't hit batting practice.

Who would have thought that the thought process of "When Dunn is out of the lineup, the Sox have a much better chance at winning" would become an addage that rings true this season. Got to survive this week with out TCQ somehow, then we can plug him back in the four spot, put De Aza back in CF, and find a nice cozy spot for Rios back on the pine.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
That was a genuine old fashioned ass kicking and the Sox haven't had a lot of those this year.

10th shutout of the year tossed by the staff. The pitching has generally been first rate this year.

Back to .500

Lip

delben91
5 out, 0.5 behind the Toons. Get into 2nd and above .500 and take it from there.

ShooterMcGavin

I've been surprised with his play and already have him penciled in with AJP as the team's 2012 catching duo.

WhiteSoxOnly
Well done boys,well done.Now beat Santana & Weaver and start to pull away from .500 and lessee what happens after that.

Boondock Saint
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
They'll take two of three just to **** with us.

Quoted for prescience.

chisoxfanatic
Gavin has looked great these last few games. I think he's got his confidence back!

There are 3 road trips and 3 homestands left...Can these guys get it together and compete for the division? I think I'd like to wait until at least after this road trip to decide that. We need to go no less than 3-2 on it (I'm hoping 4-1 with a split in Anaheim and a sweep in Seattle).

ChiSoxGal85
That was fun!!! All kinds of good stuff in this game.

Lillibridge recovers from some shaky defense at 1B to spark the offense with a HR. Gavin throws a three-hitter. Rios is suddenly a different player this series - several great catches, a HR - wow. Even Gordon got a couple of hits today! :o:

I love DeAza, and I like Flowers more every game. He is a very competent backup catcher for now and looks like he could fill the role as a full timer. (I'm still in awe over him throwing out that runner stealing 3rd yesterday - don't think AJ makes that out.)

Frasor strikes out the side in the 9th. Good job, kid.

Only badness is that Detroit won again, even thought Cleveland made a valiant effort to come back from a 7 run deficit. Oh well...and I wish Paulie had got his 2,000th hit so he could do it at home.

GAsoxfan
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM

I forget if it was Kenny or Buddy Bell, but someone said they thought Flowers would hit better at the major league level than at AAA. The sample size is small, and obviously his numbers won't stay at this level, but he definitely looks like he can play.

October26
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Sox beat Rangers 10 - 0 & win the series...I'm speechless!

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2011, 04:37 PM
They are doing it to us again, please be for real this time and go on a monster winning streak.

soxinem1
08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Hey, I'll admit when I am wrong.

30-40 AB's in 2011 not withstanding, in the past he looked like he was swinging the bat under water, and in my eyes he sure didn't look like much.

Currently, his swing is strong, quick, and he can drive the ball to all fields.

He hasn't shown anything better than AJ throwing out runners, however the pitchers seem to like throwing to him, and he has been more than adequate defensively.

It is also nice to have a catcher be able to run from first-to-third on a single.

AJ's injury just might be the extended look Flowers needed.

Tragg
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM

I may be hasty, but he does seem to be at least a grade above Wise.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Seems the Sox had a better homestand than I thought according to van Dyck in his wrap story:

"The Sox won six of the 10 games on the homestand."

:rolleyes:

Lip

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Seems the Sox had a better homestand than I thought according to van Dyck in his wrap story:

Lip
Wow. None of the series were four-game series! We finished 5-4 on this homestand.

hi im skot
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Quoted for prescience.

:tiphat:

slavko
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Lillibridge can hit a breaking ball...even if it was from a lefthander and hanging. He was all over it for the HR. Tied him for HR's with Dunn. Next step, do it with righty's. Begs the question:What if he had been the DH all year instead of Dunn? Or anyone else, for that matter.

TDog
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
This is rare, an easy blowout win.

But I'm sure the Rangers' third hit with the Sox up 7-0 made some fans nervous.

Nothing to complain about here. The Sox simply pounded the Rangers, who left Feldman in longer than they may have on some days to save the bullpen. Floyd was dominant. And the Rangers once again, didn't score off the Sox bullpen. An ugly game if you're a Rangers fan, to be sure, but this would have been a great day to be sitting in the sun at the Cell.

For people who care about things, and for people who envy the Rangers offense, the Rangers were 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position in the series. Only one of those hits scored a run. The White Sox were 10 for 28.

This should have been a sweep at home against the Rangers, but Jake Peavy didn't show up Friday night. If the Indians had saved at least some of their best pitching for their weekend in Detroit, the Sox would have had a much better homestand, and the Sox wouldn't still be five games out.

TDog
08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Lillibridge can hit a breaking ball...even if it was from a lefthander and hanging. He was all over it for the HR. Tied him for HR's with Dunn. Next step, do it with righty's. Begs the question:What if he had been the DH all year instead of Dunn? Or anyone else, for that matter.

If Lillibridge had been the DH all year instead of Dunn, he wouldn't have made all those game-saving defensive plays.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones?
Sox in the DH position in 2010 batted .247 with 18 HRs and 65 ribbies.

hi im skot
08-21-2011, 05:05 PM

WSI would have exploded by the second week of April.

russ99
08-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice - winning 2 of 3 vs. a 73-55 team.

Keep it up boys, a good road trip will put us in the middle of things for September.

BleacherBandit
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

That's crazy.

wilburaga
08-21-2011, 05:11 PM
As historically bad as Dunn has been, as agonizingly unconcerned Rios appears about his awful season, Jake Peavy has been the biggest disappointment to me. Crucial losses. Worst pitcher on the staff. Bum.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
As historically bad as Dunn has been, as agonizingly unconcerned Rios appears about his awful season, Jake Peavy has been the biggest disappointment to me. Crucial losses. Worst pitcher on the staff. Bum.

You have to cut him some slack coming back from a career threatening injury. The MDs told the world he would have ups and downs this year. Next year is the real test.

kufram
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Great pitching with good defense is why those of us accused of optimism still live in hope of limping into the playoffs. With those 2 things and just enough offense a team can win in the postseason.

Lillibridge, Flowers, and De Aza are doing a heck of a job and might be the making of the team. There was certainly a much better look in the eyes of the players today .... of course, 4 runs early might be part of that too.

ohiosoxfan
08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Just curious. .. .does anyone have the stats handy on what the record is with and without Dunn in the lineup?

BoysMom3
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Great game. Such a roller coast ride this team is! Hang on tight!

FielderJones
08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Just curious. .. .does anyone have the stats handy on what the record is with and without Dunn in the lineup?

Dunn out, Sox clout!

Jake Peavy has been the biggest disappointment to me. Crucial losses. Worst pitcher on the staff. Bum.

Calling a guy who's coming back from injury a bum seems harsh. That said, Jake fell too much in love with his slider Friday, and he could not keep it down. A veteran catcher like AJ would have probably challenged him for shaking off fastballs, but Flowers is probably too new and too young to challenge a veteran like Peavy.

soxfan1965
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
The kids can play. De Aza, Flowers, The Bridge. They all need to be in the lineup as much as possible.
Refreshing indeed! Maybe the kids can salvage the season too.

korhead
08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Kept waiting for the "Gavin meltdown inning" and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't happen. And I'm really starting to like De Aza. He seems to have an idea of what he wants to do at the plate. His AB in the 3rd was beautiful--down 0-2 against a lefty, showed a good eye and patience to work the count to 3-2. Then, he got a pitch down and away and didn't try to pull it or overpower it--just went with the pitch and gapped it to the opposite field.
That's the kind of at bat I wish we could see more of.

All in all, a good series. Let's hope the road warrior mentality continues!

:)

JB98
08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
They're not going to suck me back in. I still don't believe.

But that was a great performance by Floyd today. I liked how De Aza fought back from the 0-2 count to work it full before hitting a two-out, two-run double off a tough lefty to make it 4-0 in that third inning. He's played well since his recall.

socko82
08-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Not sure what was more shocking, the Rios homer or the Morel walk!

DonnieDarko
08-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Not sure what was more shocking, the Rios homer or the Morel walk!

You lie. :?:

GlassSox
08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
What a great day at the cell. That was one of the best games that we attended in a long, long time. It was absolutely fun to be sitting there relaxed and watching the Sox play.

Please, please do not tease us. Let's get on a streak.

Zakath
08-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Dunn's appeared in 103 games this season, and in those games the Sox are 50-53. Among those games, Dunn appeared as a pinch-hitter 4 times, and in those games the Sox were 2-2, so when he was actually "in the lineup," the Sox are 48-51.

Thus, without him in the lineup or making an appearance, they are 13-10.

tstrike2000
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Back to .500. Haven't we done this before?

tstrike2000
08-21-2011, 07:57 PM

He's not a bum. We just didn't know how he'd come back. Do we wish he was better? Of course, but the other guys on the team have gotten his back. The offense is inexcusable.

hi im skot
08-21-2011, 08:00 PM
He's not a bum. We just didn't know how he'd come back. Do we wish he was better? Of course, but the other guys on the team have gotten his back. The offense is inexcusable.

This.

Peavy has been extremely disappointing, but to call him a bum is just stupid.

bluedemon45
08-21-2011, 08:09 PM
It was a fun day at the park today. I'm at 7-0 on the year when I see the White Sox.

Great at bat by De Aza when he hit that double. I can't remember the last time they had a 2 out rally but its great to see that type of hitting. Rios hit a BOMB today and Gavin pitched a gem. Now or never for this team.

Off topic-But I really miss when Nancy would play the organ when a player hit a homerun. This rock song is just awful.

jdm2662
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I attended the game yet again with some family members. I couldn't had picked a better weekend to attend both Saturday and Sunday games. Of course, when I don't expect much, and they aren't playing a division team, its usually a better experience.

LongLiveFisk
08-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Off topic-But I really miss when Nancy would play the organ when a player hit a homerun. This rock song is just awful.

The version I hear of "na na hey hey goodbye" at the ballpark these days sounds really weird too. It's just lacking.

Nelfox02
08-21-2011, 09:15 PM
exciting late rally last night, followed by a butt kicking today. Key hit was De Aza 2 run double, that gave Gavin more than enough slack with the way he commaded the curve today. Shutting out the Rangers is a nice feat, well done Gavin and pen

so .500 again, 5 out.....seems were just stuck in this spot (right around .500 and 4-5 games back) The problem is the season is short now......they need to make a move now

tough couple cames coming up tho......hoping to get at least 1 of them....

delben91
08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
The version I hear of "na na hey hey goodbye" at the ballpark these days sounds really weird too. It's just lacking.

Nancy was going to retire sooner or later, she isn't immortal, all good things come to an end. I'm just glad the Sox kept the organ music in some form. It's better than not having it at all.

Tragg
08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I know my sample size is small, but it seems to me that the call ups are more willing to take a few pitches and go the other way than some of the incumbents.

As an aside, all one has to do is watch Michael Young (or Aramis) play 3B to realize how critical defense at that position is. It's tough to outhit range (lack of).

Chez
08-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Lip

I saw that as I was coming home from the game. I e-mailed him, he quickly fixed it and sent me a "thank you" e-mail response.

voodoochile
08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Okay, I confess I won this game for us.

See I couldn't watch, was driving to a BBQ at a friend's house in Willits (3 hours north). So I had to follow along on game tracker on my cell phone, glancing down occasionally to check the score and was regularly rewarded.

But the reason we won isn't that I didn't watch it's that I had to bring a side dish or dessert to the BBQ. I chose dessert and not being a great dessert maker I stopped at a local restaurant which has it's own baker and picked up two pies (they were delicious BTW).

I figured I only needed one, but they were cheap and I didn't want to get to the party and run out of pie so I bought more pie and brought more pie to the party.

So at long last we had more pie and that is why...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

hawkjt
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice comfortable win for a change.
Now, on to Anaheim to face Santana and Weaver...sigh.
At least they will miss King Felix in Seattle..he is scheduled to pitch vs the Indians on Wednesday. Sox should face Pineda,Vargas and Beacham.

Need to win vs the Mariners after the Angels.

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Nice comfortable win for a change.
Now, on to Anaheim to face Santana and Weaver...sigh.
At least they will miss King Felix in Seattle..he is scheduled to pitch vs the Indians on Wednesday. Sox should face Pineda,Vargas and Beacham.

Need to win vs the Mariners after the Angels.
Oh, well...We were bound to face more great pitching. I'm expecting a split out of the series.

Now, we really must sweep Seattle. There are very few other cream puffs remaining on the schedule, so stockpiling wins is a necessity, especially since we need to average a game a week better than the Tigers.

kittle42
08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh, well...We were bound to face more great pitching. I'm expecting a split out of the series.

Now, we really must sweep Seattle. There are very few other cream puffs remaining on the schedule, so stockpiling wins is a necessity, especially since we need to average a game a week better than the Tigers.

Anything less than 3-2 on the trip is pretty catastrophic.

delben91
08-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Anything less than 3-2 on the trip is pretty catastrophic.

Unless Detroit falls on their collective faces, but that seems unlikely...

<Chris Berman> But that's why they play the games! </Chris Berman>

hawkjt
08-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Detroit wins tonite with Verlander on the mound but they face Price,Shields and Hellicksen in the next three...I see 2-3 losses.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Detroit wins tonite with Verlander on the mound but they face Price,Shields and Hellicksen in the next three...I see 2-3 losses.

That's usually the case. The last time Detroit didn't win when Verlander was on the mound was the first day back after the All-Star Break when the Sox beat him. He was 12-5 on that Friday night in mid-July; he's now 19-5. Cy Young, anyone?

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Cy Young, anyone?Pretty much a lock, I would think.