PDA

View Full Version : Quentins' X-Rays Negative - Should they call up Viciedo?

#1swisher
08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Carlos injured his left should making a diving catch in the first inning. X-Rays came back negative, but he will be re-evaluated Sunday.

May not play until Friday in Seattle.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110820&content_id=23488002&notebook_id=23488006&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

Let's hope this is the last of the injuries, for this club.

Sox
08-21-2011, 10:52 AM
wow..hope that TCQ makes a quick recovery.....ouch!!!:o:

slavko
08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Do X-rays show damage to the connective tissue? This could still take a long time to heal. I'm worried. He is a better RF than many of you think, though.

TDog
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I hope Quentin is able to come back by Friday. Freddy Sanchez separated his shoulder diving for a ground ball in June, and an MRI showed he had a torn labrum. He won't even be able to come back as a pinch-hitter in September. When I saw Quentin's play Saturday night, it looked bad to me because I've seen how bad it can be. From the Sox television call, it sounds like Harrelson was seeing what I saw.

I really hope the injury isn't serious.

In the meantime, not being able to play Quentin, and not putting him on the DL shortens the bench a bit more.

bridgeportcopper
08-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Carlos injured his left should making a diving catch in the first inning. X-Rays came back negative, but he will be re-evaluated Sunday.

May not play until Friday in Seattle.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110820&content_id=23488002&notebook_id=23488006&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

Let's hope this is the last of the injuries, for this club.

Didn't they say A.J.'s x-rays came back negative also initially?

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 12:41 PM
True they did. Sometimes the swelling has to go down to get a better look at things.

Lip

kba
08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
It looked like the same shoulder that Quentin injured a few years ago. In the 2007 off-season, before he was dealt to the Sox, he had his labrum and rotator cuff repaired.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1011dbnotes1012.html

TheOldRoman
08-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Didn't they say A.J.'s x-rays came back negative also initially?Yes, but apparently that happens a lot with wrist injuries. There are so many small bones in the wrist and the swelling is so severe that often times they can't see if anything is broken until the swelling goes down in a few days.

hawkjt
08-21-2011, 01:16 PM
We have to hope the MRI does not show any damage. Maybe the Sox dodged a bullet.

ElevenUp
08-21-2011, 03:37 PM
According to Hawk it's an AC joint sprain, which is the best case scenario given how much pain he was in yesterday.

SI1020
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Do X-rays show damage to the connective tissue? This could still take a long time to heal. I'm worried. He is a better RF than many of you think, though. X-rays aren't going to show a lot of things.

korhead
08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Tribune saying MRI was taken--shows an AC joint sprain.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-quentin-out-rios-in-for-finale-vs-rangers-20110821,0,322372.story

Still could make the DL; decision probably Monday. Fingers crossed!!

sox1970
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Viciedo was 3-5 with 2 homers today, so at least he's heating up if they had to call him up now.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Tribune story says Q is out until Friday at the earliest, still possibility for DL.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Tribune story says Q is out until Friday at the earliest, still possibility for DL.

Lip
Just DL him and call up Viciedo. They can't afford to play a man short for the week and then count on a full recovery after only a week.

Noneck
08-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Bringing up Viciedo would use an option for only 10 days of possible playing time.

DickAllen72
08-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Bringing up Viciedo would use an option for only 10 days of possible playing time.
Who cares? Once he's up he's up to stay anyway.

And if that's really their reason not to bring him up now, then DL Quentin and bring up Milledge. They can't afford to play a man short at this point. And also stop with all the "all in" BS.

Noneck
08-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Who cares? Once he's up he's up to stay anyway. And if that's really their reason not to bring him up now, then DL Quentin and bring up Milledge. They can't afford to play a man short at this point.

I doubt they will use an option for 10 days(the more options a 21 year old has the more he is worth), Milledge makes more sense.

KMcMahon817
08-22-2011, 12:59 AM
I doubt they will use an option for 10 days(the more options a 21 year old has the more he is worth), Milledge makes more sense.

Viciedo already used his option for the season when he came off the DL in April. He could have moved up and down from AAA all year without using another one.

doublem23
08-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Viciedo already used his option for the season when he came off the DL in April. He could have moved up and down from AAA all year without using another one.

How did he use an option, he was never on the 25-man roster this year

DonnieDarko
08-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Do we really want to see Milledge again? >_>

DickAllen72
08-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Do we really want to see Milledge again? >_>
I'm certainly no fan of Milledge, but the Sox can't afford to play shorthanded and expect Quentin to be 100% in a week unless the injury is a lot less serious than it appears. I say bring up Viciedo. If they are indeed "all in" they'll want to have him available for the playoffs anyway. If they're more concerned with burning one of his options then they are not serious about being "all in" anymore.

ilsox7
08-22-2011, 11:41 PM
This year already counts as an option, so that really has nothing to do with anything.

Harry Chappas
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
The better question is, why wouldn't he be called up? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but this would seem like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something here. PK can continue to DH, Lillibridge can handle fist and they can put Viciedo out in RF. I'll admit, I've sort of "tuned out" as far as the Sox are concerned, so if there's a contractual reason not to make this move or Viciedo has another injury that I don't know about, my apologies.

voodoochile
08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
The better question is, why wouldn't he be called up? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but this would seem like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something here. PK can continue to DH, Lillibridge can handle fist and they can put Viciedo out in RF. I'll admit, I've sort of "tuned out" as far as the Sox are concerned, so if there's a contractual reason not to make this move or Viciedo has another injury that I don't know about, my apologies.

It was kind of buried in this thread, so I merged em and changed the title so people can find it.

Harry Chappas
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks voodoo. Still wondering why they wouldn't just bring Dayan up and keep him up. If they are truly "all in" I would think that Dayan makes more sense than Milledge. If they are worried about players options, then the "all in" needs an asterisk.

Daver
08-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks voodoo. Still wondering why they wouldn't just bring Dayan up and keep him up.

Because he doesn't play a position, and they already have a DH.

kittle42
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM

I get the continued ripping on people who just want to throw any player in any defensive position, but as long as the Sox themselves keep treating their team like plugging in Mark McGwire at catcher in RBI Baseball, I don't think the fans should be blamed for suggesting it!

russ99
08-23-2011, 07:53 PM
I get the continued ripping on people who just want to throw any player in any defensive position, but as long as the Sox themselves keep treating their team like plugging in Mark McGwire at catcher in RBI Baseball, I don't think the fans should be blamed for suggesting it!

As much as some fans want Rios and Dunn benched for the rest of the season, it's not going to happen.

I guess that playing the high-profile players Kenny signed to perform at this time of year is "plugging in Mark McGwire in at catcher".

voodoochile
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM

But they don't do that and while I realize you are using hyperbole to make a point, it's a bit extreme. The Sox generally find people who are at least in theory capable of playing a given position at least slightly below average at the worst who hit well.

There have been some extreme example (Mackowiak in CF being the most glaring) and yes they tend to favor offense over defense, but it's not like they are plugging in McGwire at catcher because he hits homeruns.

In fact for the most part the players they have plugged in to the offense the last few years have been solid defenders too and it shows in the fact they are a very solid defensive team this season.

JC456
08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Viciedo was targeted for right field. Put him there. Leave DeAza in Center and bench Rios for the rest of the season. I don't need to see that lazy butt on the field any longer.

BTW, there is no money hit for this solution.

#1swisher
08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
IF Quentin should be out longer than this weekend, WS could place Q on the DL retroactive to last Saturday and bring up his replacement.

The move would mean Q would miss the series with Detroit.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110824&content_id=23701252&notebook_id=23713068&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

kittle42
08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I guess that playing the high-profile players Kenny signed to perform at this time of year is "plugging in Mark McGwire in at catcher".

No. Putting Viciedo in some of the suggested defensive spots (even 3B has been mentioned) is doing that, but thanks again for never actually responding to what was really stated.

Harry Chappas
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM

He doesn't? I was under the impression that he was playing RF. He may not be a good or even serviceable RF, but it's not like he'd be replacing a Gold Glover in Quentin.

Do you think the Sox view Viciedo as our future DH?

hawkjt
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
They should just put Carlos on the dl...and bring up Dayan. I know it means that Carlos will miss the Tiger and Twins series,but he probably will be rusty anyway. Bring up Viciedo, put him in right in Seattle, put Deaza in center,Lilly at 1st and PK at DH...desperate times call for desperate measures. Sox face two lefties in Seattle so Dunn will sit,but I suspect that Rios will play....without Dayan,got no choice.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
He doesn't? I was under the impression that he was playing RF. He may not be a good or even serviceable RF, but it's not like he'd be replacing a Gold Glover in Quentin.

Do you think the Sox view Viciedo as our future DH?

It's not worth the argument because in Daver's world, playing RF is apparently more difficult than splitting the atom while simultaneously patting your head and rubbing your belly. And he has A COUPLE GAMES OF DAYAN ON TAPE to prove this theory.

Pretty much everyone else believes that Dayan will be just fine in RF.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
It's not worth the argument because in Daver's world, playing RF is apparently more difficult than splitting the atom while simultaneously patting your head and rubbing your belly. And he has A COUPLE GAMES OF DAYAN ON TAPE to prove this theory.

Pretty much everyone else believes that Dayan will be just fine in RF.I don't pretend to know, but I find it continually amusing that people think it's stupid for Daver to make judgments based on a couple of game tapes, but it's okay to believe Dayan will be fine based on, well, believing I guess.

DirtySox
08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't pretend to know, but I find it continually amusing that people think it's stupid for Daver to make judgments based on a couple of game tapes, but it's okay to believe Dayan will be fine based on, well, believing I guess.

I side with Daver in that he isn't going to be good RF. The only decent thing I've heard about him defensively regards the arm. I think he will be tolerated in a corner spot because he will hit, which I'm okay with.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't pretend to know, but I find it continually amusing that people think it's stupid for Daver to make judgments based on a couple of game tapes, but it's okay to believe Dayan will be fine based on, well, believing I guess.

I'm not saying Dayan is ever going to be an elite or Gold Glove caliber fielder, but come on, it's ****ing right field. There's a reason teams stash their ****ty fielders in RF and LF, it's not a difficult position to learn how to play. OK, maybe his footwork will never rival the late, great Jungle Jim Landis or Ted The Abominable Snowman Williams, but he's a 22-year-old athlete who will be fine over there. Carlos Lee turned out to be an average corner outfielder. It's not rocket science.

russ99
08-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I side with Daver in that he isn't going to be good RF. The only decent thing I've heard about him defensively regards the arm. I think he will be tolerated in a corner spot because he will hit, which I'm okay with.

I think Viciedo will end up in LF, with Rios sliding over to right, and the Sox either going with De Aza or signing a leadoff man to play CF.

Also, IMO one of Quentin and Dunn will be dealt and the other will DH.

As for Viciedo, one more week won't kill us, he's done well in AAA, but there's no guarantee that he won't have the same problems against inside and breaking pitches he had last year.

I'd prefer the Sox throw a low-level prospect at the Twins to get Kubel for the last month to replace Dunn and our injured players. We know at least he can hit.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
OK, maybe his footwork will never rival the late, great Jungle Jim Landis or Ted The Abominable Snowman Williams,Jim Landis was a center fielder (and a damn good one) Jungle Jim Rivera was the right fielder.

but he's a 22-year-old athlete who will be fine over there. Carlos Lee turned out to be an average corner outfielder. It's not rocket science.We don't know that he'll be "fine" over there. We just don't. Carlos Lee many have become average since he left the Sox, but he damn sure wasn't while he was there. And if Viciedo hits anywhere near like Ted Williams, then I'll forgive his defense (although they had no choice with Williams, since there was no DH back then.)

doublem23
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
As for Viciedo, one more week won't kill us, he's done well in AAA, but there's no guarantee that he won't have the same problems against inside and breaking pitches he had last year.

I'd prefer the Sox throw a low-level prospect at the Twins to get Kubel for the last month to replace Dunn and our injured players.

Of course there's not that's why you get him up here TO WORK ON THAT WEAKNESS.

What is the ****ing point of pissing more money away on Jason I'm ****ty Kubel? :rolleyes: Detroit has already won today, we are now 7 games out of 1st place. If Detroit goes a measly 16-16 over the rest of their season, we'd need to finished the year 24-10 just to force a 1 game playoff. And that assumes that we can jump the Indians who we have been chasing since the 1st week of April.

IT'S OVER

DirtySox
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
I'd prefer the Sox throw a low-level prospect at the Twins to get Kubel for the last month to replace Dunn and our injured players. We know at least he can hit.

Kubel would cost at least a prospect equivalent to a type B pick. He could also finish as a Type A. It would require dealing Dayan, Reed, or possibly Saladino. It makes no sense to acquire him, especially considering the Sox are all but done at this point. Dayan will be a September call-up in about a week anyhow.

Edit: Also, the Kubel claim is clearly nothing but a blocking move.

kittle42
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM

What is the ****ing point of pissing more money away on Jason I'm ****ty Kubel? :rolleyes: Detroit has already won today, we are now 7 games out of 1st place. If Detroit goes a measly 16-16 over the rest of their season, we'd need to finished the year 24-10 just to force a 1 game playoff. And that assumes that we can jump the Indians who we have been chasing since the 1st week of April.

IT'S OVER

I used to carry such delusions of my team never being out of it until the magic number was kaput, but I was also a teenager.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
I used to carry such delusions of my team never being out of it until the magic number was kaput, but I was also a teenager.

I'm actually still interested in watching the Sox right now just because I like watching the young guys like De Aza and Flowers play. I'd be way more interested in them if they brought up Dayan to play everyday for the rest of this season, even at the expense of our pennant chase. Way more fun than watching these vets dog it.

wilburaga
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by doublem23 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2817964#post2817964)
OK, maybe his footwork will never rival the late, great Jungle Jim Landis or Ted The Abominable Snowman Williams,

To my knowledge, both Landis and Rivera are alive.

wilburaga
08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Also, Viciedo's option years is a non-issue. He was already optioned out this season, on April 6th. Future options this season (which, BTW, would definitely not happen) would not subtract from his overall option years.

russ99
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

IT'S OVER

I guess all those head to head games next month against the Tigers (and Indians) mean nothing. BTW: We beat Verlander once and came close to beating him a second time.

I'd rather have a real big league hitter in the lineup (our main weakness) in Kubel than a non-hitter (Dunn) or a maybe hitter (Viciedo).

I do like Viciedo, but let the kid contribute in his call-up then start fresh next year instead of putting the pressure of staying in the race on his shoulders, likely setting him up to fail.

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2011, 07:39 PM

IT'S OVER

I don't know if I like the idea of a guy working on a clear weakness in the majors, especially if the Sox intend to contend next year. But at this point I don't think it would hurt to call Dayan up and let's see how bad of a right fielder he is.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't know if I like the idea of a guy working on a clear weakness in the majors, especially if the Sox intend to contend next year. But at this point I don't think it would hurt to call Dayan up and let's see how bad of a right fielder he is.

Give me a break, only the rarest of the rare players are promoted to the Majors as Major League caliber players. Just about everyone needs some seasoning at the Major League level.

PS, Dayan has improved quite a bit of his hitting mechanics from just this past season. He couldn't draw a walk to save his life last year, now he's developed a much better eye for the strike zone. So yes, I admit that a 23-year-old, raw kid from Cuba might not be a refined Major League player yet, but he's easily earned a chance to showcase his talents at the MLB level. The notion that the Sox would be better served, both short and long-term, by trading away prospects for 1 month of Jason Kubel is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have read here.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Nellie:

As you remember Jim was a four time Gold Glove winner...one of the best defensive outfielders in Sox history and he hit pretty well too.

Lip

Daver
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm not saying Dayan is ever going to be an elite or Gold Glove caliber fielder, but come on, it's ****ing right field. There's a reason teams stash their ****ty fielders in RF and LF, it's not a difficult position to learn how to play. OK, maybe his footwork will never rival the late, great Jungle Jim Landis or Ted The Abominable Snowman Williams, but he's a 22-year-old athlete who will be fine over there. Carlos Lee turned out to be an average corner outfielder. It's not rocket science.

You stash them in LF and at 1st, in RF they are always playing behind the runner, and it makes it a much more difficult position to play because you have to know where to go with the ball on every throw when there is a man on, it isn't rocket surgery to know that someone with less than 100 games in the outfield should not be playing RF at the MLB level.

But please feel free to continue to dismiss outfield defense entirely because there are no good stats to track it, it does work out great for fantasy baseball.

voodoochile
08-25-2011, 11:07 PM
You stash them in LF and at 1st, in RF they are always playing behind the runner, and it makes it a much more difficult position to play because you have to know where to go with the ball on every throw when there is a man on, it isn't rocket surgery to know that someone with less than 100 games in the outfield should not be playing RF at the MLB level.

But please feel free to continue to dismiss outfield defense entirely because there are no good stats to track it, it does work out great for fantasy baseball.

I always wondered why RF was considered a harder positoon to play than LF. I mean from a purely uneducated perspective the main difference seems to be arm strength. Thanks for explaining it in a way that makes sense. I never really thought about how the decisions become more difficult in RF too.

doublem23
08-25-2011, 11:37 PM

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Dayan will be fine. The kid's literally been playing baseball everyday probably since he was what? 14?

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Dayan will be fine. The kid's literally been playing baseball everyday probably since he was what? 14?Doub, what you're saying by constantly repeating "he'll be FINE" is that anybody can trot out there and play outfield defense. People on this board have absolutely ripped on Quentin and Pierre at times this year for their defense, and they are not significantly below-average outfielders. It is not at all beyond the realm of possibility that Dayan will be significantly worse, which is not "fine."

08-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Viciedo should have been called up three months ago

doublem23
08-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Doub, what you're saying by constantly repeating "he'll be FINE" is that anybody can trot out there and play outfield defense. People on this board have absolutely ripped on Quentin and Pierre at times this year for their defense, and they are not significantly below-average outfielders. It is not at all beyond the realm of possibility that Dayan will be significantly worse, which is not "fine."

Between Dayan and Quentin, I'm sure one of them can be an adequate LF and RF.

This idea that we should keep a bat with Dayan's potential buried in Charlotte because he might not be a great defensive outfielder literally makes me fall on the floor and roll around laughing.

Daver
08-26-2011, 06:16 PM

This idea that we should keep a bat with Dayan's potential buried in Charlotte because he might not be a great defensive outfielder literally makes me fall on the floor and roll around laughing.

You should e-mail Brooks and let him know that the baseball talent management is making a huge mistake by leaving a superstar in minors.

kittle42
08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
You should e-mail Brooks and let him know that the baseball talent management is making a huge mistake by leaving a superstar in minors.

If the guy can't play a position in the majors at all, ever, even close to adequately, that's sad.

doublem23
08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
If the guy can't play a position in the majors at all, ever, even close to adequately, that's sad.

And if he can't field worth a lick and his bat isn't worth it, I'll be the first to happily admit I was wrong and we can go look in a new direction. But can we at least give this kid a look before he's declared a bust?

The '05 team had Scott Podsednik and Jermaine Dye in the OF corners. That's basically all you need to know about how critically important corner OF defense is to a winning ball club.

voodoochile
08-26-2011, 10:34 PM
And if he can't field worth a lick and his bat isn't worth it, I'll be the first to happily admit I was wrong and we can go look in a new direction. But can we at least give this kid a look before he's declared a bust?

The '05 team had Scott Podsednik and Jermaine Dye in the OF corners. That's basically all you need to know about how critically important corner OF defense is to a winning ball club.

Um Dye was an excellent defender until his final few seasons and Pods had a great year in LF that season. Acting otherwise is revisionist history.

Brian26
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Um Dye was an excellent defender until his final few seasons and Pods had a great year in LF that season. Acting otherwise is revisionist history.

Yes, absolutely Dye was solid in 2005.

doublem23
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Nah. Now, I don't love defensive stats, but Dye's dWAR in 2005 was negative (-0.7... that's bad), while Podsednik's was about league average (0.5). Their range factor indicated that Pods saved the Sox 5 runs in the field in 2005 while Dye cost the team 7 runs, so collectively their defensive efforts were worth -2 runs in 2005.

I know Scotty Pods got punched that 1 game in New York, but overall he was just OK. Again, I'm not wild about these statistics, I don't treat them as gospel, but I think it at least indicates that some non-biased statistical observers basically rated them as average to below average defenders in 2005... So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I'm not the one misremembering history.

I'm not saying they were bad players, and they clearly each made up for their deficiencies at the plate and then some. My only point is that corner outfield defense is not the keystone by which championship teams are built upon. You can have sort of OK players in RF and LF and still win.

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2011, 01:38 AM

This idea that we should keep a bat with Dayan's potential buried in Charlotte because he might not be a great defensive outfielder literally makes me fall on the floor and roll around laughing.I haven't said that he should be kept in Charlotte. All I was saying is that there is no guarantee at all that "he'll be fine" defensively, because he hasn't shown any defensive instincts before. He's going to get his chance. I'm just saying don't assume that putting him in the outfield won't be a problem.