PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-20 Better ugly and lucky than good and pretty; SOX 3 TEX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Hope TCQ recovers quickly!

Boondock Saint
08-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Adam Dunn sucks.

Ozzie Guillen is a ****ing moron.

Sergio Santos is straight durrrty.

That is all.

asindc
08-20-2011, 09:45 PM
What was ugly about that win?

JB98
08-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Danks and the bullpen got it done. Holding this lineup to two solo HRs is a fine job of pitching.

The offense still stinks. It will be even worse if Quentin has to miss significant time.

billyvsox
08-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Adam Dunn sucks

That is all.

Ditto and Ditto!!

At least with a lefty going tomorrow, maybe no Dunn :)

Boondock Saint
08-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Lillibeast almost looks like an adult in this postgame interview.

billyvsox
08-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Sunday lineup to win the series:

Pierre
De Aza
Konerko
Quentin / Rios if TCQ cant go
Alexei
Lillibridge 1B
Flowers
Morel
Beckham

:angry:---Dunn

Brian26
08-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Lillibeast almost looks like an adult in this postgame interview.

Dude's quickly becoming my favorite player on the team behind PK and Buehrle. No excuses, he contributes just about every time he's put in an important situation. He gets clutch hits no matter where Ozzie sticks him on the field. He's solid with the glove, rarely makes boneheaded mistakes (sans the double-up the other night), and he's a good kid.

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Dunn

Bad fielding by Alexei

Quentin getting hurt and leaving the game

Zakath
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Hopefully TCQ can go tomorrow, as the only two times he's faced Holland, he's homered off of him.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Ditto and Ditto!!

At least with a lefty going tomorrow, maybe no Dunn :)

ChiSoxGal85
08-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I really did not like how that game started off, with the Kinsler HR and then TCQ getting hurt. But the Sox battled back and hung on. Sox win without even hitting a HR. Nice performance by Danks and Crain. Paulie is the rock again.

Sergio is awesome. 97 mph fastball and that nasty slider...and I love his story.

I hope Q is ok. He really looked like he was in pain. I'd bet he gets a few days off.

34rancher
08-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Dunn

Bad fielding by Alexei

I hope TCQ is ok and not out more than a day or two. He's been trying ha this year in the field and today bit him a little.

As for Dunn, how was that a hit when the second basemen threw the ball over the head of the first basemen?
Oh well, only at most 523 more Adam Dunn games.

TDog
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I popped into the game thread late to see if people were complaining about not pinch-hitting for Dunn in the bottom of the eighth, and I was amazed that there were people actually making that argument.

Not pinch-hitting for Dunn and Dunn's meaningless error in the ninth, and the injury to Quentin on a nice catch, are the only ugly aspects I can think of. The Rangers didn't get any hits with runners in scoring position. They scored all their runs on solo homers, which speaks well for White Sox pitching.

Guillen pinch-ran Lillibridge. He scored on a double by Rios. Konerko wouldn't have scored. That was a move by Guillen, which, with one out is risky because the game could go extra-innings. If Rios grounds into a double play, Guillen is an idiot for taking Konerko out of the game.

Rios started the game on the bench and had to come in to replace Quentin. Lillibridge came in to run for Konerko. The bench isn't deep enough to pinch-hit for Dunn in the eighth.

I'm no Dunn fan. I think the biggest problem with this year's White Sox team is that Adam Dunn was added to it, and made clear in March that I felt that way. But the idea that Guillen, after his team took the lead, needs to pinch-hit for Dunn because a lefty has come in is ridiculous.

DickAllen72
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Adam Dunn sucks.

That is all.
.....And Gordon Beckham will make a fine utility infielder next season after Omar is gone. He's cheap, plays good defense at 2B and 3B and can also play SS.

DickAllen72
08-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Dunn

Bad fielding by Alexei

+ Beckham at the plate.

Brian26
08-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I popped into the game thread late to see if people were complaining about not pinch-hitting for Dunn in the bottom of the eighth, and I was amazed that there were people actually making that argument.

Not pinch-hitting for Dunn and Dunn's meaningless error in the ninth, and the injury to Quentin on a nice catch, are the only ugly aspects I can think of. The Rangers didn't get any hits with runners in scoring position. They scored all their runs on solo homers, which speaks well for White Sox pitching.

Guillen pinch-ran Lillibridge. He scored on a double by Rios. Konerko wouldn't have scored. That was a move by Guillen, which, with one out is risky because the game could go extra-innings. If Rios grounds into a double play, Guillen is an idiot for taking Konerko out of the game.

Rios started the game on the bench and had to come in to replace Quentin. Lillibridge came in to run for Konerko. The bench isn't deep enough to pinch-hit for Dunn in the eighth.

I'm no Dunn fan. I think the biggest problem with this year's White Sox team is that Adam Dunn was added to it, and made clear in March that I felt that way. But the idea that Guillen, after his team took the lead, needs to pinch-hit for Dunn because a lefty has come in is ridiculous.

I didn't see the entire game, but Alexei made two bad plays. Neither cost the Sox, but they could have. He didn't back off a bloop into leftfield that was clearly Pierre's all the way, and he dropped a ball at second where the runner easily could have been called safe. Sox got a break on that one.

Brian26
08-20-2011, 10:08 PM
+ Beckham at the plate.

The godawful bunt attempt that was really a pop-out to third base? Yes.

DirtySox
Sergio is awesome.

Nice to get a win off one of the best bullpens in the AL.

34rancher
The bench isn't deep enough to pinch-hit for Dunn in the eighth.

With all due respect you got to be kidding me. Dunn is 3/80 against lefties (.038). You have a chance for an insurance run. Bring in Omar. Hell, I kid (barely) bring in buerhle.
You play Omar there IMO. Dunn does nothing to help you in the 8th and 9th.

Heck of a mentally tough kid in Sergio. Some people would have pouted. He picked up the team.

34rancher
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Something overlooked tonight:
Quick without looking who has the most home runs, rbis and highest average?
Easy in PK.

Now quick who is the team leader in hits?

Juan. He has done a nice job of bouncing back the second half. Congrats to him and his mental toughness to keep playing the game hard. He really has contributed when runners have been on base in scoring position lately.

Brian26
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
.....And Gordon Beckham will make a fine utility infielder next season after Omar is gone. He's cheap, plays good defense at 2B and 3B and can also play SS.

Beckham now has 15 months of MLB stats under his belt.

He's only batted over .300 in four of those 15 months.

BainesHOF
08-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Santos has the best slider in Chicago baseball history. My only concern is whether his arm/elbow will stay healthy for the long term throwing that kind of wickedness.

Lillibridge has been a bright spot in a dark season.

Swamp Donkey's error at first base was a new low for him.

Nice to see Rios do something to help us win.

DirtySox
08-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Would someone care to elaborate on Dunn's missed catch error? Was walking the dog at the time.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Would someone care to elaborate on Dunn's missed catch error? Was walking the dog at the time.

Good thing you were,otherwise you might have kicked that dog.

TDog
08-20-2011, 10:25 PM
With all due respect you got to be kidding me. Dunn is 3/80 against lefties (.038). You have a chance for an insurance run. Bring in Omar. Hell, I kid (barely) bring in buerhle.
You play Omar there IMO. Dunn does nothing to help you in the 8th and 9th.

Heck of a mentally tough kid in Sergio. Some people would have pouted. He picked up the team.

I'm not kidding you. Vizquel has a career average of .074 against Oliver. Your improved chances of getting a hit are negligible. I'm sure you're not suggesting Lucy, who has never faced Oliver. Dunn facing lefties this season has reached base 20 times through hits, walks and being hit-by-pitches.

Pinch-hitting for Dunn only burns your bench. It doesn't appreciably increase your chances of getting the run home. It only makes it more difficult for your team to win if the Rangers score in the ninth.

34rancher
08-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Morel threw the ball a little wide of bag. Rather than move to the back of tue bag, Dunn kept his foot at the front of the bag stretched and dropped the ball.

DirtySox
08-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Morel threw the ball a little wide of bag. Rather than move to the back of tue bag, Dunn kept his foot at the front of the bag stretched and dropped the ball.

Thanks

Foulke You
08-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I am holding out hope that Beckham is a late bloomer like Joe Crede or Alex Gordon in KC. I also think a regime change, especially at hitting coach, could do wonders to revive this kid. Everything that is wrong with Beckham is mechanical. The stance, the swing, the approach, everything is messed up with him right now. The glove is so good and has been a huge part of why our pitching has done well. I'm not ready to give up on Gordon yet but I'm certainly frustrated with him.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Smooth one over there isn't he ? this guy just KILLS us just by walking out of the dugout.And we're stuck with him going forward.Pray hard Sox fans that he figures it out.The bat is needed.

slavko
08-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Beckham now has 15 months of MLB stats under his belt.

He's only batted over .300 in four of those 15 months.

15 months is 2-1/2 seasons. That's a long time. Taking the best 4 of 15 is what they call cherry picking. Or worse. How about we take the worst 11 of the 15? Would that upset you? It would be just as valid theoretically. And, which way is his arrow pointing? Coming on after a cold start? I don't think so.

TDog
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Dude's quickly becoming my favorite player on the team behind PK and Buehrle. No excuses, he contributes just about every time he's put in an important situation. He gets clutch hits no matter where Ozzie sticks him on the field. He's solid with the glove, rarely makes boneheaded mistakes (sans the double-up the other night), and he's a good kid.

He was picked off of second base in extra innings in his first appearance this season, in a game the Sox lost to the Royals, and there were posts about never wanting to see him in a Sox uniform again. Occasionally, there are still comments about sending him down in favor of Viciedo. Of course, in Lillibridge's second appearance, he scored the tying run (or the go-ahead run) in a game where the White Sox scored four two-out runs in the ninth against Soria in a game the Sox won.

I am a Lillibridge fan. I think he is a better outfielder than infielder, but he seems to be getting better on the infield. I'm surprised with how well he has played first base. He has excellent mechanics at the plate and can generate a lot of power for someone his size. He still needs to improve his pitch-recognition skills, which is his biggest problem against breaking balls. But while he is probably the best pinch-hitter and pinch-runner on the team, he is probably the best defensive replacement at all three outfield positions and first base.

Anyway, I concur.

VMSNS
08-20-2011, 11:05 PM
The atmosphere at the park tonight was once again one of indifference and frustration. Alexei's two defensive miscues, Rios' baserunning blunder, Beckham's "bunt", Dunn's failure to drive in Rios from 3rd, and Beckham's general incompetence at the plate were all irritating as hell. The first inning was particularly strange: Kinsler homers on the second pitch of the game, and then Quentin hurt his shoulder diving for that ball the very next play. However, once Rios scored the go-ahead run, the park really came alive, and it was nice to see be in the presence of some optimistic and lively fans for once.

I was in a good position to see that play at 1st, and from my vantage point Morel just made a bad throw. I know Dunn doesn't light the world on fire with his glove, but it's hard to blame him on that play.

I like what I'm seeing so far from Flowers. The ball just jumps off his bat. He had a nice, hard-hit double in the beginning of the game, and then later on was just inches from homering to straightaway center. Hopefully Walker will be fired before he can corrupt the kids swing.

Anyway, it was a nice night at the ballpark. Beautiful weather, a Sox win, and a free Buehrle bobblehead. I'm happy. :D:

steviestayfresh
08-20-2011, 11:16 PM
glad to see Rios get a big hit. maybe that will get him out of this massive slump. we can only hope.

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 11:19 PM
15 months is 2-1/2 seasons. That's a long time. Taking the best 4 of 15 is what they call cherry picking. Or worse. How about we take the worst 11 of the 15? Would that upset you? It would be just as valid theoretically. And, which way is his arrow pointing? Coming on after a cold start? I don't think so.

His post seemed disparaging of Beckham to me. He said only 4 of 15 months over .300 which is certainly not good. Anyway, I guess either you or I misread the tone; not sure which.

Also, everyone hates Alex so much that there isn't even a mention of his game winning hit off a reliever with a 1.88 ERA. I know he's sucked, but you have to credit when it's due. Nice job Alex. Instead, Lillibridge who scored the run while off on a 3-2 pitch gets all the love? Weird.

Anyway, nice woodwork on 2 out rbi hits by Alexei and Juan early on and a great job by Danks, Jesse and Sergio. Coupled with Kinney's three scoreless innings to finish off last night, the staff has only given up two solo homeruns in the last 12 innings to a very explosive offense.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 11:29 PM
20 more wins for a winning season.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
08-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Anyway, it was a nice night at the ballpark. Beautiful weather, a Sox win, and a free Buehrle bobblehead. I'm happy. :D:

+1. The weather was absolutely perfect, IMO.

And btw, if you ever have a chance to sit in one of the suites, DO IT! What an awesome experience. :D:

Tragg
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Maybe some fresh coaching will help him get that Georgia swing back.

tebman
08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
There's no Pick to Click named yet tonight, but the show must go on. The Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4194) is available if you're interested in reading a summary of a Sox winner.

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Tribune reports that Ozzie doesn't expect Q to go on the DL but that they will see Tuesday. If he has trouble swinging the bat it's a possibility. Ozzie says he uses that shoulder a lot when he swings.

Q will not play Sunday.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
The atmosphere at the park tonight was once again one of indifference and frustration. Alexei's two defensive miscues, Rios' baserunning blunder, Beckham's "bunt", Dunn's failure to drive in Rios from 3rd, and Beckham's general incompetence at the plate were all irritating as hell. The first inning was particularly strange: Kinsler homers on the second pitch of the game, and then Quentin hurt his shoulder diving for that ball the very next play. However, once Rios scored the go-ahead run, the park really came alive, and it was nice to see be in the presence of some optimistic and lively fans for once.

I was in a good position to see that play at 1st, and from my vantage point Morel just made a bad throw. I know Dunn doesn't light the world on fire with his glove, but it's hard to blame him on that play.

I like what I'm seeing so far from Flowers. The ball just jumps off his bat. He had a nice, hard-hit double in the beginning of the game, and then later on was just inches from homering to straightaway center. Hopefully Walker will be fired before he can corrupt the kids swing.

Alexei dropped the ball out of his glove when trying to make a quick transfer to throw to first. Both Hawk and Stone said that Moreland, who runs well, would have beaten the throw anyway. It was definitely not a sure double play and we did get the force.

As far as the bloop to left, it's Juan's ball and he needs to call Alexei off the ball, which he apparently didn't do. Also, how many times this year have we seen Alexei pull up on a ball in anticipation of either Juan or Alex catching the ball and it ends falling in for a hit? Grant it, it did hit his glove, and he could have had it, but it wasn't an easy play.

As far as Alex and the play at 3rd goes, that's a little tricky. On a bloop like that conventional coaching has the runner go about a third of the way down the line usually so he could score if the ball falls in. If the ball falls in while he's standing on 3rd there is a very good chance that he would not be able to score on the play. You could see Alex coming back to the bag to tag, then stop -- most likely at Cox's behest -- and go back towards the plate. Of course, there is no way that the runner or the third base coach can envision that a catch would be made by a player while tumbling over a another player laying on the ground. When that happened it made it look obvious to everyone that he should have been still standing on the bag and tagged. But it wasn't that simple.

It was a tough decision for Cox and Alex. In reality it was Alexei who ****ed that opportunity up by popping up on a pitch that looked like it was heading for his back shoulder. He should have taken the pitch.

SI1020
08-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Anyway, it was a nice night at the ballpark. Beautiful weather, a Sox win, and a free Buehrle bobblehead. I'm happy. :D: I agree. I like his stance, approach, and swing. I know he's gone through some tough times but he looks promising behind the plate and up at bat. Please don't mess him up.

jdm2662
08-20-2011, 11:56 PM
I went tonight only because I had tickets already. It was actually rather enjoyable. Now, we will see what happens when I take my 14-year-old cousin tomorrow.

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Tribune reports that Ozzie doesn't expect Q to go on the DL but that they will see Tuesday. If he has trouble swinging the bat it's a possibility. Ozzie says he uses that shoulder a lot when he swings.

Q will not play Sunday.

Lip

So the bench will be short again tomorrow and maybe again Tuesday. Hopefully De Aza starts in RF and Lillibridge at 1B and Dunn sits against the lefty.

Are they doing an MRI tomorrow?

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Pale:

Tribune story doesn't mention anything about an MRI, says they took an x-ray and it was negative.

Talked with a media guy tonight who told me they don't think Q will have any long term trouble, that he should be OK in a few days.

We'll see.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Most fun I've had at the park in awhile. Buehrle bobblehead, exciting game and fireworks to top it off. Why can't all my trips to Comiskey be like that?:smile:

whitesox4eva
08-21-2011, 12:16 AM

I just read your "Dude's" as "Dunn".....I think I need some sleep...i'm losing my mind. :tongue:

Brian26
08-21-2011, 12:23 AM

I was just disappointed that he's only batted over .300 four out of the 15 months he's been up. If we cherry-pick his worst months, it looks terrible. The four months are spread out equally since he's been up. I'll highlight in blue his great months, in red his awful months and leave black his mediocre months. Seems like there's a disturbing trend (all or nothing, no consistency).

June 2009: .267
July 2009: .330
Aug 2009: .223
Sept/Oct 2009: .266
April 2010 .235
May 2010 .159
June 2010 .233
July 2010 .354
Aug 2010 .309
Sept/Oct 2010 .188 (hurt)
April 2011 .194
May 2011 .303
June 2011 .222
July 2011 .289
Aug 2011 .169

doublem23
08-21-2011, 12:34 AM

He also made a nice throw to third to get Cruz, very savvy move, stepped back, threw behind the RH batter and beat him with a strike by a good 2-3 seconds. It was impressive.

GlassSox
08-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Most fun I've had at the park in awhile. Buehrle bobblehead, exciting game and fireworks to top it off. Why can't all my trips to Comiskey be like that?:smile:

Definitely a fun time tonight and the weather was great.

VMSNS
08-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Buehrle bobblehead looks right at-home on my baseball shelf!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/378446122.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313903319&Signature=X48JX4SZzi7%2FWep1nuTkmMKhvWQ%3D
http://twitpic.com/69bewa

Boondock Saint
08-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm not kidding you. Vizquel has a career average of .074 against Oliver. Your improved chances of getting a hit are negligible. I'm sure you're not suggesting Lucy, who has never faced Oliver. Dunn facing lefties this season has reached base 20 times through hits, walks and being hit-by-pitches.

Pinch-hitting for Dunn only burns your bench. It doesn't appreciably increase your chances of getting the run home. It only makes it more difficult for your team to win if the Rangers score in the ninth.

Oh give me a freakin' break. You're talking about a total of 27 at bats over the course of Oliver's 18 year career. Adam Dunn has gotten a total of three hits off of any left handed pitcher in 81 at bats this year.

TDog
08-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh give me a freakin' break. You're talking about a total of 27 at bats over the course of Oliver's 18 year career. Adam Dunn has gotten a total of three hits off of any left handed pitcher in 81 at bats this year.

It's ridiculous to think that the situation demands Vizquel pinch-hit for Dunn in that situation. I can't imagine any major league manager pinch-hit Vizquel in that situation.

Boondock Saint
08-21-2011, 01:35 AM
It's ridiculous to think that the situation demands Vizquel pinch-hit for Dunn in that situation. I can't imagine any major league manager pinch-hit Vizquel in that situation.

A one run lead in the 8th with the worst hitter in the majors at the plate and a runner on 3rd with two outs doesn't warrant a pinch hitter? I think there isn't another manager in the majors who doesn't pinch hit there.

kufram
08-21-2011, 03:51 AM
I'd like to thank the posters who recognized that we got a win against arguably the best offense in the AL.

soxfan1965
08-21-2011, 06:07 AM
I am a Lillibridge fan. I think he is a better outfielder than infielder,
but he seems to be getting better on the infield. I'm surprised with how
well he has played first base. He has excellent mechanics at the plate and
can generate a lot of power for someone his size. He still needs to improve
his pitch-recognition skills, which is his biggest problem against breaking
balls. But while he is probably the best pinch-hitter and pinch-runner on
the team, he is probably the best defensive replacement at all three
outfield positions and first base.

I like what I'm seeing so far from Flowers. The ball just jumps off his bat.
He had a nice, hard-hit double in the beginning of the game, and then later
on was just inches from homering to straightaway center.

Thrillabridge and Flowers are one of KW's trades (for Vazquez) that is paying off now. Great young men to have now that figured into this win.

WSox597
08-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Thrillabridge and Flowers are one of KW's trades (for Vazquez) that is paying off now. Great young men to have now that figured into this win.

That's correct. I like both of these guys, especially Lillibridge. He gives 100% every time he's out there.

That was a good trade. Vazquez is on his second or third team since he left. It doesn't take long to catch on to his act.

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2011, 08:25 AM

I suppose it's paying off now.

I'd still rather have Chris Young.

Chez
08-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Dunn with a three game hitting streak! (Always look at the bright side of life . . .) :smile:

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Dunn with a three game hitting streak! (Always look at the bright side of life . . .) :smile:
Yeah, he's all the way up to .169.

ohiosoxfan
08-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I suppose it's paying off now.

I'd still rather have Chris Young.

You mean the Chris Young that is hitting .234 with a .316 OBP in the weaker NL?

October26
08-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd like to thank the posters who recognized that we got a win against arguably the best offense in the AL.

Me too.

Danks pitched great last night as did Crain & Santos.

Rios with the clutch, game-winning hit. :D:

These Texas Rangers are a really good team. A caller mentioned on White Sox Weekly yesterday, that many of them have huge sammy sosa-mark macguire like necks: Hamilton, Moreland, Napoli etc. Interesting.

I love celebrating White Sox winners, so here's hoping the Sox bring us home another winner today. Go Sox!

asindc
08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
A one run lead in the 8th with the worst hitter in the majors at the plate and a runner on 3rd with two outs doesn't warrant a pinch hitter? I think there isn't another manager in the majors who doesn't pinch hit there.

I have to say that if you think pinch-hitting Vizquel, who has had no success off the pitcher that was named, while leaving the bench with only one position (the backup catcher, at that) player in a one-run game headed into the 9th is something every other manager would do without hesitation, then you probably haven't seen other managers in action very much. It is far from a no-brainer, and is at best defensible either way you call it. I don't want Dunn playing either, but I don't think this decision was not as clear cut as you seem to think.

asindc
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
You mean the Chris Young that is hitting .234 with a .316 OBP in the weaker NL?

I don't think you were supposed to notice.

34rancher
08-21-2011, 09:57 AM

I refuse to recognize it. That was an error last night. I think the scorekeeper had his hands full or sticky from the churros. Either that or he was bidding on being in the booth with hawk and stone.

kufram
08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, it was an error.. but major league baseball recognizes it as a hit. When you're in Dunn's cleats you take anything.

LongLiveFisk
08-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, he's all the way up to .169.

Slowly scratching his way back towards the Mendoza line. :tongue:

Hell, if he can somehow get there by the end of the season, it would be a huge moral victory for him.

kufram
08-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I have to say that if you think pinch-hitting Vizquel, who has had no success off the pitcher that was named, while leaving the bench with only one position (the backup catcher, at that) player in a one-run game headed into the 9th is something every other manager would do without hesitation, then you probably haven't seen other managers in action very much. It is far from a no-brainer, and is at best defensible either way you call it. I don't want Dunn playing either, but I don't think this decision was not as clear cut as you seem to think.

I agree. You can't PH your versatile bench guy that late in a 1 run game leaving only a back-up catcher, who is backing up your back-up, on the bench.

We now know we have a good catcher in Flowers, in my opinion, and I think he has a good chance at sitting on an mlb bench next year and starting once a week. Hope it is ours.

Lillibridge is a proven supersub and a valuable guy to have on the bench. I hope he's on our bench next year also. He could prove to be more, in time, but what's he's good at is evident.

tstrike2000
08-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Slowly scratching his way back towards the Mendoza line. :tongue:

Hell, if he can somehow get there by the end of the season, it would be a huge moral victory for him.

With 37 games left, getting to .185 might even be a moral victory.

Boondock Saint
08-21-2011, 11:44 AM

With a 1 run lead late, you play for the insurance run and the 9 inning win, not extra innings, especially against an offense like Texas.

SoxSpeed22
08-21-2011, 12:12 PM
If Konerko was okay to play first base, he would have been playing first (and you already pinch ran for him anyway). Pinch hitting for Dunn and having to play Vizquel or Lillibridge at first could have been disastrous. I would have been more angry at Ozzie if he did such a reckless thing.

voodoochile
08-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Vizquel was the ONLY defensive replacement left on the bench. Lillibridge had to reamin at DH and was not available for defensive insertion unless the Sox give up the DH slot. To say they were stretched thin is an understatement. Only needing a flyball or a hard grounder to the right side (two things Dunn has done semi-regularly when he makes contact) it made WAY more sense to let Dunn bat.

34rancher
08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
If Konerko was okay to play first base, he would have been playing first (and you already pinch ran for him anyway). Pinch hitting for Dunn and having to play Vizquel or Lillibridge at first could have been disastrous. I would have been more angry at Ozzie if he did such a reckless thing.

I don't think lilibridge was able to as he pinch ran for the dh. Playing Brent at 1st would have been fine as he's been doing it late in games for a month now. Omar would have been fine there too.

Boondock Saint
08-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Vizquel was the ONLY defensive replacement left on the bench. Lillibridge had to reamin at DH and was not available for defensive insertion unless the Sox give up the DH slot. To say they were stretched thin is an understatement. Only needing a flyball or a hard grounder to the right side (two things Dunn has done semi-regularly when he makes contact) it made WAY more sense to let Dunn bat.

There were two outs, they needed a hit.

voodoochile
08-21-2011, 12:37 PM
With 37 games left, getting to .185 might even be a moral victory.

If he gets anywhere close to .200 it will mean he had a nice solid close to the season.

voodoochile
08-21-2011, 12:38 PM
There were two outs, they needed a hit.

Okay, even so you don't strip your bench of the last defensive player available most of the time.

You don't NEED the extra run, it's merely a cushion and in the end it proved an unnecessary one.

asindc
08-21-2011, 01:13 PM
With a 1 run lead late, you play for the insurance run and the 9 inning win, not extra innings, especially against an offense like Texas.

Ozzie wasn't playing for extra innings, he was playing with a one-run lead. You probably have less than a 50% chance to score an extra run with Vizquel, and you have to be prepared for extra innings in case it happens. It just simply was not worth the risk.

SI1020
08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of Ozzie (that was not always the case) but his options were almost nil. Adam Dunn helped make them that way by having a historically bad season.