PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most frustrated you have been as a Sox fan?

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Has this team provided you with the most frustration in your years of being a Sox fan?

It's definitely the most frustrating to me. I could tolerate 2007 more, because I didn't expect too much out of them after half their lineup was on the shelf. But, this team has constantly teased us and then has **** the bed whenever feeling any sort of pressure.

Johnny Mostil
08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Frustrating? No doubt. But I can think of several more frustrating years over the past four decades.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Boy that's hard to say honestly.

Expectations were high (obviously to high) but they were high in 1968, they were high in 1973, they were sky-high in 1984... and 1995 and 2001...but for various reasons (in some cases because of a slew of injuries) the Sox fell all over themselves.

I can't say this is the most disappointed I've been in 51 seasons but it does rank up there with some others I've mentioned.

It's funny but it seems the Sox often play better when the expectations are lower than when they are expected to win. Can't say why given that there have been thousands of players, and a handful of general and field managers that have gone through the doors in those 51 years.

Lip

MarkZ35
08-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Frustrating as far as expectations, money spent, and talent. YES
This division is so winnable STILL and they continue to suck ass.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 11:38 PM
That's what has made this so frustrating. The closest they've ever gotten is a few games back, but after that, they go right back into the crapper.

Johnny Mostil
08-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Boy that's hard to say honestly.

Expectations were high (obviously to high) but they were high in 1968, they were high in 1973, they were sky-high in 1984... and 1995 and 2001...but for various reasons (in some cases because of a slew of injuries) the Sox fell all over themselves.

I can't say this is the most disappointed I've been in 51 seasons but it does rank up there with some others I've mentioned.

It's funny but it seems the Sox often play better when the expectations are lower than when they are expected to win. Can't say why given that there have been thousands of players, and a handful of general and field managers that have gone through the doors in those 51 years.

Lip

'84 and most of the late '80s really bugged the hell out of me. Promising start to decade, but then it mostly fizzled out as ownership whined for a new ballpark. I'm not sure I find anything as frustrating as hopelessness. And those years seemed hopeless for the future of baseball on the South Side.

The others you mention (especially 1995 and the mid-1990s generally after the strike) were bad as well. 2011 might be on par with some of those. But I can't honestly say it's the most frustrated I've ever been as a Sox fan.

Of course, others' mileage may vary . . .

Viva Medias B's
08-19-2011, 11:52 PM
For me, our 1995 season was more frustrating.

Sox
08-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Been there done that!!! Frustrating is putting it nicely. From the 70's on except for the 2005 WS victory I was seriously thinking that maybe the Sox would never see a title in my lifetime. Glad that never came true. This year is one of those years that I could unequivocally say that's been right up there with the top ten of being frustrated with this Sox team.

GoGoCrede
08-19-2011, 11:55 PM
No.

Boondock Saint
08-20-2011, 12:00 AM

What he said. People keep talking about how they're still in it, but the fact is that they're still in it despite their best efforts, not because of them.

captain54
08-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I would say this is the most frustrating offense I've ever seen out of a White Sox club

Boondock Saint
08-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I would say this is the most frustrating offense I've ever seen out of a White Sox club

I would say that 2006 was more frustrating, because they had monster games where they'd blast 4 HR's and put up a 10 spot. But they would go silent the very next day, or it'd be a week before they even showed up for a respectable performance. This offense has been a whole lot more consistently bad.

PKalltheway
08-20-2011, 12:24 AM
I'd say 2003 and 2004 were more frustrating since I've started following the team. Good, but not good enough, and they still were 80-plus years without a championship and over 40 years without a pennant.

TaylorStSox
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Are you serious? Why is everybody so melodramatic? This team is mediocre. I'm 32 and I've seen some god awful Sox teams. I was far more frustrated in most of Ghandi's teams. Maybe the topic should be "the most disappointing." Then, you might have an argument. Frustrating? Nope.

A. Cavatica
08-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Even though I've seen many awful Sox teams, I think this one is the most frustrating. They had so much talent on paper, and a few red flags that were obvious to a great many posters here on WSI -- but not, apparently, to Sox brass. The team needed a jolt back in April or May -- or even June or July because the rest of the division was so bad -- and management did nothing.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Not even close. How much they spent has no impact on how "frustrated" I feel. I went through the 50's and 60's, watching very talented teams finish in second place. Those years were much more frustrating because they were good, really good, but could only once break the Yankee dominance.

tstrike2000
08-20-2011, 12:58 AM
The offense and a lot of the decision making has made no sense, pretty much since day one.

MikeW
08-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Being a Sox fan for 50yrs I can't say that this is the most frustrated I've been, but it is the first time this year that I have turned the games off knowing full well that a 2 run deficit was going to be too much to overcome.

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 01:05 AM
It's close but the 2003 and 2006 teams were slightly more frustrating to me.

Note: I'm not counting the injury plagued years (2001 and 2007) or the bitterly disappointing years where we just flat out sucked but should have been good (1984 and 1995.) Although the current team could fall into the latter category with a bad finish.

doublem23
08-20-2011, 01:35 AM
July 31, 1997

Rikirk
08-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Um, as for this season im gonna have to say yes.

Granted in my lifetime ive seen them win only one championship, and id really like to see more. But this year...all I can feel is dread every time I see them take the field.

Its like they just dont care.

DSpivack
08-20-2011, 03:52 AM
It's close but the 2003 and 2006 teams were slightly more frustrating to me.

Note: I'm not counting the injury plagued years (2001 and 2007) or the bitterly disappointing years where we just flat out sucked but should have been good (1984 and 1995.) Although the current team could fall into the latter category with a bad finish.

I completely agree with 2003 and 2006 being the most frustrating to me.

As for injury plagued years, the one that stands out most in my mind is 2004, when we lost Frank and Maggs in July.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2011, 03:54 AM
I was born in '87 and I don't really remember many vivid details from some of the years others have mentioned (namely '95). 2003 was one of the most frustrating years that I can recall because I think that that White Sox team was much more talented than the Twins were. 2004 ended as soon as Frank and Mags went down and as annoying as 2006 was the thrill of 2005 was still so fresh and looking back on it our pitchers were just gassed in the second half. So a short answer would be yes, this is probably the most frustrated I have been as a Sox fan because on paper the talent is there. They just aren't coming through.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-20-2011, 07:33 AM
I voted yes because expectations were high. I know they were high in 1984 (especially when Seaver came aboard) and in 2006, as well. This team has been mediocre all year, despite having the the two worst regulars in MLB, and on top of that Dunn is having the worst season for a regular in MLB history. Add in Beckham's failure to hit, and toss in the fact that Peavy has been a bust for the money. Yet day in and day out, Dunn and Rios are in the lineup, Beckham continues to look clueless, and Peavy takes his turn, when he should be a long reliever. With all that failure, the team is still in the division race. That's frustrating!

Madvora
08-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I voted no because of the terrible start they had this year. I pretty much believed it was over from the beginning. I think 2003 and 2004 were worse because it seemed like they had a chance of finally getting to a World Series, but couldn't get their **** together.

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Absolutely.

My all time "frustrating seasons" list:

2011- After the opening series in Cleveland- nothing but frustration, and an overall "bad vibe" with the whole team and to a certain extent- the overall Sox organization. Some of the largest contacts in the history of the franchise completely fail to deliver.
1984- We added Tom Seaver to a 99 win team, but underestimated the loss of Koosman, Hoyt/Bannister/Burns all had rough years, and no real closer (Ron Reed?)- along with big drop offs from Luzinski, Cruz and Law. Seven game winning streak at the all star break gave false hope.
1991- Snyder, Sosa and Fletcher disappoint- Torborg's team is 65-45, .591, 1 game behind Minnesota following Alvarez's no hitter in early August- Thigpen blows a save in the bottom of the 9th the next night- Sox lose in extras- then reel off 15 losses in their next 17 games-by the time the carnage is over- they are in 3rd place- 9 games out.
2003-In first place on Sept 7th- but drop 10 of their next 15, including 5 of 6 to the Twins- end up in 2nd place 4 games out.
1973- Injuries to Dick Allen and Ken Henderson really hurt- but a big problem is Stone/Fisher have poor seasons- other than Wood and Bahnsen- the starting pitching is pretty bad. Probably the first season for me as a fan when there were big expectations coming in- after a strong 1972 and with Melton coming back from his injury.

gobears1987
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
August 1994 was the most frustrated I'll ever be with baseball. September 2003 was bad too as far as falling on their faces goes.

Johnny Mostil
08-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Not even close. How much they spent has no impact on how "frustrated" I feel. I went through the 50's and 60's, watching very talented teams finish in second place. Those years were much more frustrating because they were good, really good, but could only once break the Yankee dominance.

This is a good point. I wonder how age affects answers to this question. I'm not sure how anybody over 30 could rank this as their most frustrating season as a Sox fan (1994? 1997?). Or maybe even over 20 (2003?).

Absolutely.

My all time "frustrating seasons" list:

2011- After the opening series in Cleveland- nothing but frustration, and an overall "bad vibe" with the whole team and to a certain extent- the overall Sox organization. Some of the largest contacts in the history of the franchise completely fail to deliver.
1984- We added Tom Seaver to a 99 win team, but underestimated the loss of Koosman, Hoyt/Bannister/Burns all had rough years, and no real closer (Ron Reed?)- along with big drop offs from Luzinski, Cruz and Law. Seven game winning streak at the all star break gave false hope.
1991- Snyder, Sosa and Fletcher disappoint- Torborg's team is 65-45, .591, 1 game behind Minnesota following Alvarez's no hitter in early August- Thigpen blows a save in the bottom of the 9th the next night- Sox lose in extras- then reel off 15 losses in their next 17 games-by the time the carnage is over- they are in 3rd place- 9 games out.
2003-In first place on Sept 7th- but drop 10 of their next 15, including 5 of 6 to the Twins- end up in 2nd place 4 games out.
1973- Injuries to Dick Allen and Ken Henderson really hurt- but a big problem is Stone/Fisher have poor seasons- other than Wood and Bahnsen- the starting pitching is pretty bad. Probably the first season for me as a fan when there were big expectations coming in- after a strong 1972 and with Melton coming back from his injury.

You have some doozies there, all deserving, even if I might quibble with the ranking. But I am curious--why doesn't 1994 make your list?

PaleHoser
08-20-2011, 08:32 AM
1994 - The club was absolutely loaded and Frank Thomas was having a monster season. Two World Wars couldn't stop the World Series, but ownership and players found a way.

For me, reading the papers and watching the nightly sports there was a whole bunch of head scratching. It was much like watching Ozzie run his line-up out there with both Dunn and Rios, and leave his starter out there three hitters too long.

"They aren't really going to let this happen, are they? Someone is going to come to their senses, right? Is anyone thinking?"

It still gets my blood up just thinking about it. :angry:

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 08:40 AM
This is a good point. I wonder how age affects answers to this question. I'm not sure how anybody over 30 could rank this as their most frustrating season as a Sox fan (1994? 1997?). Or maybe even over 20 (2003?).

You have some doozies there, all deserving, even if I might quibble with the ranking. But I am curious--why doesn't 1994 make your list?

It does- but in a very different way- all of that frustration is directed at JR and the MLB owners overall.

It's very subjective- the seasons where the failure was not connected to injuries, etc.(1973 was a grey area for me, 2004 as well)- but to just ****ting the bed are the ones that came to mind for me.

I was telling my wife last night- the 2011 version of the White Sox have brought me the fewest fun moments of ANY season I can remember. Even the late 70's, late 80's (still had Old Comiskey) and late 90's were more fun.

Johnny Mostil
08-20-2011, 08:55 AM
It does- but in a very different way- all of that frustration is directed at JR and the MLB owners overall.

It's very subjective- the seasons where the failure was not connected to injuries, etc.(1973 was a grey area for me, 2004 as well)- but to just ****ting the bed are the ones that came to mind for me.

I was telling my wife last night- the 2011 version of the White Sox have brought me the fewest fun moments of ANY season I can remember. Even the late 70's, late 80's (still had Old Comiskey) and late 90's were more fun.

Fair enough. I suppose it might depend on "investment" in the team as well. If I were a season-ticket holder (I once was, but just don't have time to attend so many games today), I might find this the most frustrating season ever.

socko82
08-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Not so much frustrated but angry. I can't remember a Sox team I've disliked as much as this bunch (including the Albert Belle years). Dunn and Rios have killed this team yet they continue to play and hit in the middle of the order. The young players haven't gotten any better and I'm tired of Ozzie. All the bunting, poor baserunning and wasted pitching performances. Most nights the games have been like watching paint dry. For a long time Kenny got away with trading minor leaguers for vets without it blowing up in his face but the last few years have been really bad. On top of that just knowing the long term contracts we are tied to on these anchors may lead to them losing some of the actual productive players (Buehrle/TCQ/Danks) for strictly financial reasons makes me dislike this team even more. I'll be a Sox fan til the day I die but this is the most I've ever disliked them.

SI1020
08-20-2011, 10:02 AM

I was telling my wife last night- the 2011 version of the White Sox have brought me the fewest fun moments of ANY season I can remember. Even the late 70's, late 80's (still had Old Comiskey) and late 90's were more fun. They are a dull, lifeless and except for a few notable exceptions clueless bunch. Worse yet, nobody in the organization from the Chairman on down gets it, or at least it appears that way. I will say that quite possibly I've never been as worried about the franchise as I am now. It's very easy to slip into a long dark tunnel like the Pirates, Royals, Orioles and now apparently the Astros. Despite this, according to the way I define frustration nothing tops 1964 for me. One of the most talented one year pitching staffs in the history of the game, but they couldn't get over being afraid of and intimidated by the Yankees. One more lousy win over that team and the pennant is won. The following year is a close second. After decades of dominance the Yankees fall off a cliff, but it's the Twins and not the Sox who capitalize on it. Those two years were hurtful and more than a bit frustrating for this young fan.

Dan H
08-20-2011, 10:18 AM
For me this is the most frustrating by far. The constant playing with the .500 mark and looking like they're going to contend and then follow that with another losing streak drove me nuts. The season is not just frustrating, it has seemed much longer that it has been in real time.

One of the most frustrating things is that major decisions to change things should have come in May. No, the White Sox were not as bad as their start indicated but they were clearly not a playoff caliber team. Guillen should have been fired and other changes needed to be made when and if the circumstances warranted. 2011 would not have been saved but steps to rebuilding this team could have been made. Instead, they now face an extremely tough off season. Changes have to be made. Only now it will be later than sooner.

A. Cavatica
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
1994 was frustrating, but we had the pleasure of watching one of the greatest Sox teams ever for most of the year. Watching this year's team is like being kicked in the nuts every other day.

MarySwiss
08-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I moved beyond frustrated a month or so ago and went directly to angry. Watching this team for more than about ten minutes makes me want to throw things at the TV. I don't remember ever having this reaction, even when they've been bad. I think it's because I believe they shouldn't be losing so much, and I just want to slap most of them silly.

jdm2662
08-20-2011, 11:32 AM
In 1994, I was a 17-year-old about to start my senior year of high school. I was much into sports then than I am now. So, nothing will ever top that. I didn't even follow baseball for five years after that.

At 34, my life is completely different now. If the teams I root for win, I'm happy. If they don't, I move on with my life. I easily find lots of other things to do.

HomeFish
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Nothing will ever frustrate me more than the 2003 White Sox. Such a talented team that choked against Minnesota despite showing that they could clobber the Yankees and Red Sox with ease.

You want to know what turned me into HomeFish? Jose Paniagua, Jerry Manuel, and the 2003 Sox.

Brian26
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Not even close this year. In order to be frustrated, you have to be emotionally invested in the team. I've watched the games and gone to games, but it was clear early in the season how many holes there are in this lineup. 2006 was more frustrating, as was 2003.

bridgeportcopper
08-20-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd agree with all the previous mentioned seasons of frustration and can't really rank them
1991 (although I went away to college for football doubles in August so I didn't really see that one transpire up close)
and this year was getting very frustrating until Wednesday's Cleveland loss, when I impartially looked at that lineup minus TCQ that night and realized AJ probably isn't coming back, I left the house instead of planting my ass on the couch to watch it, listened to that game on the radio as I went jogging and for the first time said to myself "This team truly doesn't have it and probably can't get it done". I will watch occasionally from here on out but the lineup right now is so weak I can't even be frustrated. Last night I could've gone to Elvis Night but made a sincere decision that Yogi Bear at Movie in the Park with the kids would be more entertaining. And as I watched the movie I occasionally checked ESPN's gamecast on my phone and kinda like a death row prisoner awaiting the inevitable knew that the lead they had was gonna be short-lived. I may go to a couple more games and will probably watch many more, but I'm really losing the faith that this team that much was expected from can ever put it together.

Viva Medias B's
08-20-2011, 03:53 PM
1995 was the most frustrating season for me because we had coming back the strike-shortened 1994 team that was in contention for the playoffs. Similar contention was expected from the 1995 team, but they never recovered from the bad start they got off to. The only time I ever tore up my scorecard in anger was on that Opening Night game in which Milwaukee killed us.

Brian26
08-20-2011, 05:43 PM
1995 was the most frustrating season for me because we had coming back the strike-shortened 1994 team that was in contention for the playoffs. Similar contention was expected from the 1995 team, but they never recovered from the bad start they got off to. The only time I ever tore up my scorecard in anger was on that Opening Night game in which Milwaukee killed us.

I don't know about '95 and the expectations being that high. Didn't the Sox lose Jack McDowell after the '94 strike? And Julio Franco was done after '94 too, so the Sox were trying to replace his production in the DH role. Ray Durham came up as a rookie to start the season.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Brian:

They did lose Jack in an admitted "salary dump" because the labor impasse wiped out the last six weeks of the 94 season and the Sox took a major hit ticket-wise but the Sox were still the favorites to win the division based on what they accomplished the previous two years. Franco left for Japan because the Sox (like with Ellis Burks) refused to give him a multi year deal.

Schueler also made a flurry of moves to bring in players that he thought could still contribute. (Sabo, Devereux, Kruk in May and others)

The problem was (and was later admitted publicly by either Fernandez or Alvarez, I think Alex) the players themselves did not think the impasse was going to be settled until June or July of 95 and frankly were not in shape.

That directly led to the awful start. Even Robin Ventura was making errors by the bunches.

Lip

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know about '95 and the expectations being that high. Didn't the Sox lose Jack McDowell after the '94 strike? And Julio Franco was done after '94 too, so the Sox were trying to replace his production in the DH role. Ray Durham came up as a rookie to start the season.

Yep- they replaced Franco with Kruk, Jason Bere fell off the cliff with an ERA > 7.00 on top of losing McDowell, the entire bullpen (except Hernandez) had ERAs >5.00.

The every day line up was pretty good- Frank and Robin both had nice seasons.

And of course LeMont/Bevington has to go down as the worst 'two manager" combo in a season in the history of the franchise.

russ99
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
2007 was the worst of this era. I went to that Twins day-night DH .:(

1984 and the late 80s were pretty awful too.

This year is disappointing, but they've done nothing yet, so it's less a letdown by the team over how they performed as a group and more a letdown of unrealistic expectations driven by a dumb "all in" marketing campaign.

Also, it's a bit shocking how Kenny's risk-driven philosophy has caught up with him this year.

Noneck
08-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I cant pick between 84 and 11, it is a draw.

asindc
08-21-2011, 09:56 AM
This is the most frustrating season for me, since two of our regulars are having horrific seasons and if even one of them was just simply matching his previous worse season, the Sox would probably be at least tied for 1st. Ranking them as follows:

2011:mad:
1994-Might have ranked this first, but I was more angry at the owners, particularly JR, than frustrated.:angry:
1983-More disappointed and letdown than anything else.:whiner:
2003-Ditto.:(:
2004-When Frank and Maggs went down, I knew that was it.:(:
1973-Even as a kid, I always had this feeling that 1972 was a flash-in-the-pan season.

As far as 1984 and 1995 were concerned, I knew we had given up too much from the previous season to expect a repeat performance. The way 1995 shaped up, it just doubled my anger.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
At least the 73 club had a legit excuse, after a great start they were gutted by injuries. Sox used the DL over 30 times that season. Henderson missed four months, Allen basically three months, Downing got hurt, May was hurt, Melton was hurt....just a ton of guys got hurt.

Plus you had the insanity that was Stu Holcomb ordering Roland Hemond to flat out release any Sox player who wouldn't agree to contract terms. The Sox lost Andrews, Reichardt, Spezio and Johnstone with this.

When the injuries hit, they had almost literally nothing left...unless you count John Jeter and Chuck Brinkman as something.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sergio Santos weighs in: ‘‘This might be the most emotionally draining team to be a part of because we get glimpses of the team we are, and then for whatever reason, we get 10 games where we’re not playing anywhere near where we should be playing."

Lip

soxtalker
08-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I've been a fan since about 1960 (missing the 1959 Pennant), and, like many of the older fans here, I can remember many frustrating years. Although I don't have the exact years memorized, this thread has brought back the (bad) memories. My first would have been the year that they lost by a game to the Yankees.

But I don't think that this year will stand out in the future to me as one of the most frustrating. My impression is that Kenny has made some great acquisitions -- mostly through trades -- during his tenure, but he's also made some terrible ones. I don't find it easy to judge the quality of these acquisitions until the players are actually playing for us awhile. Dunn and Rios are the latest, but the years have brought plenty of examples (remember Todd Richie). Kenny can hit home runs, but he can also strike out miserably. That's why I've usually viewed costly ($ and/or players in exchange) acquisitions with some trepidation.

So, yes, I'm disappointed with this season, but not because I was so sure that they'd do well. I'm disappointed, just as I'd be disappointed any year that they don't seem to play well.

And I guess that there is one more reason for disappointment; the prospects for the next couple of years don't look terribly appealing to me. The Rios and Dunn contracts are large and will hamper us retooling.

TDog
08-21-2011, 02:23 PM
This is the most frustrating season for me, since two of our regulars are having horrific seasons and if even one of them was just simply matching his previous worse season, the Sox would probably be at least tied for 1st. Ranking them as follows:

2011:mad:
1994-Might have ranked this first, but I was more angry at the owners, particularly JR, than frustrated.:angry:
1983-More disappointed and letdown than anything else.:whiner:
2003-Ditto.:(:
2004-When Frank and Maggs went down, I knew that was it.:(:
1973-Even as a kid, I always had this feeling that 1972 was a flash-in-the-pan season.

As far as 1984 and 1995 were concerned, I knew we had given up too much from the previous season to expect a repeat performance. The way 1995 shaped up, it just doubled my anger.

I'm surprised 2003 hasn't been mentioned more in this thread, especially by all the Chicagoans who had to put up with the Cub love going on in the city. I moved to Alaska in the middle of 2003. My boss liked the fact that the person he hired before me was a Cubs fan. He liked to mix it up between us, and at one point in mid-September said he thought the Sox had a better chance of winning their division than the Cubs. Of course, the Cubs were getting ready for Game 1 of the NLDS as the White Sox were firing their manager. And then the Cubs were five outs away from the World Series ....

For most fans who aren't front runners and support their teams becasue they love baseball and it's their team, baseball is generally a frustrating thing. I don't think this team is any more frustrating. There were bigger expectations, but I never understood why fans expected to improve the offense with a hitter expected to strike out a third of the time. The biggest head-scratcher has to be Rios because the looked so good in Arizona and just didn't seem to feel like playing baseball once the season started. But August-September 1977 and 1984 easily were more frustrating than 2011 has been.

doublem23
08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
There really wasn't that much Cub-loving going on in 2003 during the season. You got to remember that the '03 Cubs really weren't that good, they were under .500 as late as July 26 and really only hung around in the race because, like the 2011 Sox, the NL Central that year was just putrid garbage from top to bottom. They finished strong, 34-21 from August 1 through the end of the year, best in the NL, but I don't remember many people really being any more infatuated with the Cubs than normal for most of the year until they snuck into the playoffs and then came so close to the World Series. Not like 2008, when the Cubs really were the best team in baseball for almost the whole season and just that whole year, you had to listen to their fans talk ****. And then any frustration Sox fans may have been feeling during their playoff run surely melted away during that glorious 8-run inning in Game 6.

'03 was so frustrating because the Sox had a good team, definitely good enough to make the postseason, but they choked it away the last 1/2 of September. Sure, the Twins went on a crazy run but the Sox helped piss a shot at the playoffs away.