PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Free my fall" 8/19 Postgame Thread

Jurr
08-19-2011, 11:03 PM
It's getting nauseating.

Mods- edit title to "post game"....if any of yinz guys aren't vomiting from our baseball team.

SoxSpeed22
08-19-2011, 11:06 PM
On a night that the ball was going to fly out of there, we can't keep up.
Getting no-hit by the Rangers bullpen is also annoying.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
There are 38 games left, and after going to Tuesday's game, I thought they would show some life and desire to contend. Since then, there have been three straight losses, including tonight's. It's nice that so many other teams have figured out how to use our park to their offensive advantage.

Jurr
08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm so mentally OVER this team. Like a kid that can't stay out of trouble...just bound to disappoint.

DirtySox
08-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Sox didn't have a hit past the 2nd inning.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 11:09 PM
WALKER-BALL!

LOL

Lip

Dan H
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Sox didn't have a hit past the 2nd inning.

Not exactly surprising. Face it. This team is not at the level of the Rangers, Red Sox and Yankees. Not to mention Tigers. And Cleveland.

PalehosePlanet
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Too much Jake Peavy and Ozzie Guillen for The Sox to overcome tonight.

Bottom 5: Q is coming up in a tied game. Ron Washington, knowing that Q had a big hit earlier in the game off of Harrison, pulls him for a reliever Q and Alexei had never seen before. Excellent move. Result: Texas out of the inning with the score still tied.

Top 6: Hamilton, who owns Peavy --- and who is already struggling --- is the lead-off hitter. Ozzie does nothing. Result: Hamilton hits a homerun. Later in the inning Moreland, who hit a 3 run HR in his last at bat off Jake, comes up with a man on. Ozzie does nothing. Result: 2 run HR and the game is basically over.

Jurr
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Punch this team in the mouth, and it folds.
Absolutely amazing. You'd think Jerry Manuel was back.

Tragg
08-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Put up a real fight, I see.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 11:18 PM
It's getting nauseating.

Mods- edit title to "post game"....if any of yinz guys aren't vomiting from our baseball team.
I'm past the point of being able to vomit over this team. I've tried to be as optimistic as possible, telling myself that there still is plenty of time to catch the Tigers. Soon, the time will come where there isn't "plenty of time" left. We only have 3 road trips and 3 homestands left after this weekend!

At this moment, the only thing we can hope for is for the Sox to sweep both series against Detroit (or, at least go 5-1 against them). Anything less, and we are relying too heavily on outside help. Sadly, at this moment, I don't think the majority of these players even want to play into October.

This is the most frustrating baseball season ever.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Kenny has some interesting comments on Beckham and Dunn, particularly Beckham. Says he wishes he'd go back to the swing he had at Georgia.

That begs the question, who or what changed him? and why? (Guess that's two questions...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0820-white-sox-rangers-chicago20110820,0,5057438.story

Lip

Dibbs
08-19-2011, 11:28 PM
We all got Walkered AGAIN!!! Pathetic.

thomas35forever
08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah, the offense could have been a lot better, but the Rangers know when to pounce when they're up to bat. That's why they're so good.

Soxman219
08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Too much Jake Peavy and Ozzie Guillen for The Sox to overcome tonight.

Bottom 5: Q is coming up in a tied game. Ron Washington, knowing that Q had a big hit earlier in the game off of Harrison, pulls him for a reliever Q and Alexei had never seen before. Excellent move. Result: Texas out of the inning with the score still tied.

Top 6: Hamilton, who owns Peavy --- and who is already struggling --- is the lead-off hitter. Ozzie does nothing. Result: Hamilton hits a homerun. Later in the inning Moreland, who hit a 3 run HR in his last at bat off Jake, comes up with a man on. Ozzie does nothing. Result: 2 run HR and the game is basically over.

That's just terrible managing, period. Ozzie truly has no clue does he?

billyvsox
08-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Kenny has some interesting comments on Beckham and Dunn, particularly Beckham. Says he wishes he'd go back to the swing he had at Georgia.

That begs the question, who or what changed him? and why? (Guess that's two questions...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0820-white-sox-rangers-chicago20110820,0,5057438.story

Lip

I wish he'd go back to his swing at Georgia too!!

Intersting he didn't mention Rios at all in the article. Maybe his plan is to get rid of him somehow in the off season.

Quentin08
08-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I clearly remember being bummed out at last year's Air and Water Show because of how pathetic the Sox were playing, and thinking it couldn't get any more frustrating as a Sox fan. I was definitely wrong..

Tragg
08-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Lip

Oh no, let's not be too critical of the 8-figured veteran.
Hey Kenny: Rios, Dunn, Peavy, all 8-figure abject busts. What say you? Will any price be paid? (besides JR's checkbook) .

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
It will be interesting Tragg after the past five years to see if anybody in the front office or the field staff is going to be held accountable.

This is not just a bad year, the past five years haven't been as good as they could have been.

Lip

SBSoxFan
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
I wish he'd go back to his swing at Georgia too!!

Intersting he didn't mention Rios at all in the article. Maybe his plan is to get rid of him somehow in the off season.

Maybe an aluminium bat would help too!

hi im skot
08-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Maybe an aluminium bat would help too!

Yeah, those popups to second base will be two miles high instead of one.

slavko
08-20-2011, 12:02 AM
I was in and out so I only saw Peavy in the 1st and 4th innings. 1st inning every pitch was hopping. 4th inning every pitch was flat and centered or out of the strike zone.

Is there a good reason for Rios to play over DeAza? Has hit this pitcher before with a tiny sample size is not good enough a reason.

tstrike2000
08-20-2011, 12:20 AM
No PTC made yet for tonight's game, but here is tonight's Game_Report (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4193) for anyone's reading pleasure.

Hendu
08-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Who is Jake gonna blame for this one? Maybe Cooper because the mound visit didn't prevent that 3-run jack?

Aesero
08-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I was at the game today. What a waste. Fireworks were nice I guess. I thought TCQ's shot to center was gone :(

Also, how was the strikeout pitch against Alexei that got him thrown out? He usually doesn't argue balls and strikes but tends to do that early walk to first.

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Lip

Hard to tell if Kenny is taking a subtle shot at Walker -- which further convinces me that JR decides who stays and who goes and that KW cannot make any moves on his own regarding the coaching staff. Or if he's taking a shot at Gordon and saying that he's basically uncoachable.

Anyway, as we've been discussing here at WSI last night and today at great length, KW also believes that it's not too early to panic on Gordon. I'm glad he didn't sugar coat his response.

Vernam
08-20-2011, 12:49 AM

Can we sign up Colby Rasmus's dad as our new hitting coach?

Vernam

JB98
08-20-2011, 12:51 AM
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Haven't seen anybody point that out yet in this thread, so I just thought I'd remind everyone. :redneck

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I was at the game today. What a waste. Fireworks were nice I guess. I thought TCQ's shot to center was gone :(

Also, how was the strikeout pitch against Alexei that got him thrown out? He usually doesn't argue balls and strikes but tends to do that early walk to first.

Pitch trax showed that the very top of the ball barely nipped the bottom of the strike zone on the outer quarter of the plate. Where the catcher caught it was obviously well lower than that because the ball was sinking.

So technically it was just barely a strike, but it's a call that a pitcher doesn't get 95% of the time.

A. Cavatica
08-20-2011, 01:06 AM
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Haven't seen anybody point that out yet in this thread, so I just thought I'd remind everyone. :redneck

We watch the 2011 Sox, so the quote inevitably follows. It would be insane to expect anything else.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2011, 01:08 AM
We watch the 2011 Sox, so the quote inevitably follows. It would be insane to expect anything else.It's just stupid, because it's NOT the definition of insanity, and people keep repeating it like it's some deep truth.

hawkjt
08-20-2011, 01:12 AM
The Rangers were tattooing Jake's breaking stuff after the 3rd inning.
He seemed to have good velocity,but they hit his breaking stuff like they knew it was coming.

I really thought this was the Sox game with the early lead and Jake shutting them down.
Harrison was off tonite, so this was a game they need to win. Tomorrow, Ogondo might be on..and it will be tough.
Sox catching the Rangers at the worst possible time...earlier when the Tigers caught them they were scuffling.

Win the next two,and hang around...all they can do.

chisoxfanatic
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM

I'm sorry you had to witness that. I stopped following it closely after Hamilton's HR. I knew it was over after that. Why can so many other teams use our "hitter's park" to their advantage, but not our guys, who play there 81 games a season?

Parrothead
08-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Not only the Sox mailed it in tonight but what the hell was that performance by Doug Church, the Elvis guy. That guy sucked and was so disinterested.

Only one that performed tonight was the E-team. One guy hit the target.

doublem23
08-20-2011, 01:30 AM
We watch the 2011 Sox, so the quote inevitably follows. It would be insane to expect anything else.

Eh, I really doubt at this point anyone is expecting anything else, those of us who are still watching are doing so because, as bad and as frustrating as this team has been, the calendar's quickly approaching September and in just a couple of weeks, it will be another long winter and off-season, which is far worse than this could ever be.

:(:

doublem23
08-20-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm sorry you had to witness that. I stopped following it closely after Hamilton's HR. I knew it was over after that. Why can so many other teams use our "hitter's park" to their advantage, but not our guys, who play there 81 games a season?

Its not a hitter's park

doublem23
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Pitch F/X says it was a strike

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=430606&game=gid_2011_08_19_texmlb_chamlb_1&batterX=66&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Vernam
08-20-2011, 01:34 AM
The Rangers were tattooing Jake's breaking stuff after the 3rd inning.
He seemed to have good velocity,but they hit his breaking stuff like they knew it was coming.

The at-bat where Hamilton homered was instructive. He fouled several long line drives down the right field line. It was obvious he was locked onto whatever it was Peavy was throwing -- he he was intent on not putting a ball in play untill he got one he could really jack. Which he did.

The WSCR post-game host was adamant that Ozzie was right to leave Peavy in after that because the bullpen was spent. Well, some guy named Kinney pitched three innings with six strikeouts, so I'm thinking it couldn't have hurt if he'd started an inning sooner. Peavy needs to get stretched out so he's ready for the stretch run, the host said. It's radio, so I'm not sure whether he had a straight face.

After Hamilton's at-bat, anyone who was paying attention knew Peavy was done. No one even warmed up until it was too late, so Moreland was at liberty to hit his second HR. Don't worry that we're now 5 behind Detroit -- Peavy's all set for September, folks!

Vernam

Aesero
08-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks palehose and doub for the pitch clarification.

Not only the Sox mailed it in tonight but what the hell was that performance by Doug Church, the Elvis guy. That guy sucked and was so disinterested.

I noticed this. I thought he was drunk or something at first because he missed about half of the lyrics to the songs. He kept putting his hand up to his ear, though. Either he was trying to fix an earpiece that maybe was playing music or he was adjusting his sideburns. Regardless, listening to it left me feeling uncomfortable and disappointed.

ShooterMcGavin
08-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Three losses in a row and a banged-up roster with AJP, Humber and Castro on the DL, and Konerko and Peavy less than 100%. 38 games left to play while sitting 2.5 games behind Cleveland and 5 games behind Detroit. It's not looking good for our White Sox.

LITTLE NELL
08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Looking at the A.L. stats I'm amazed that we are not last in hits and runs scored. It seems like every night we come up with 2 runs and 4 or 5 hits. I think the hitless wonders of 1967 with their great pitching staff would beat the 2011 Sox.

Zakath
08-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Looking at the A.L. stats I'm amazed that we are not last in hits and runs scored. It seems like every night we come up with 2 runs and 4 or 5 hits. I think the hitless wonders of 1967 with their great pitching staff would beat the 2011 Sox.

Thank God for the Mariners.

Zakath
08-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah, the offense could have been a lot better, but the Rangers know when to pounce when they're up to bat. That's why they're so good.

No lead is safe against them. Their lineup might be the most dangerous in baseball, certainly in the AL (remember that they were missing Beltre, who's a .276 hitter with 20 HR and 76 RBI). They scored in only two innings, but they put up big crooked numbers in both of them.

Their pitching staff is much, much better than it has been, thanks to Ryan. Three years ago, this team had the worst ERA in the majors at 5.37. Today, they're 11th at 3.69.

I'm sure the Yankee and Red Sox fans will disagree, but there's a very good chance, IMO, that this team repeats as AL champs, and gives the Phillies a helluva battle in the WS.

SCCWS
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
WALKER-BALL!

LOL

Lip

Last night was Coop/Walker ball. When your starter gives up 7 runs in 6 innings you need the 27 Yankees to compete.

Tragg
08-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Hard to tell if Kenny is taking a subtle shot at Walker -- which further convinces me that JR decides who stays and who goes and that KW cannot make any moves on his own regarding the coaching staff. Or if he's taking a shot at Gordon and saying that he's basically uncoachable.

Anyway, as we've been discussing here at WSI last night and today at great length, KW also believes that it's not too early to panic on Gordon. I'm glad he didn't sugar coat his response.
I don't think it's that hard. I think Guillen and Williams have taken latent shots at each other all year - in both words and action. Williams knows he can't blame the "slump" of a veteran on a coach; but the stunted growth of a young hitter?
I go back to Guillen's comments/actions a couple of years ago about how he just wouldn't be able to find at bats for Thome...Williams knew that was absurd, but he acquiesced. Two years later, brings in Thome-lite, Adam Dunn, at 2-3 times the annual money and probably 10-15 times the contractual commitment. Zig then zag the zig...
Although a cleaned-house is the deserved outcome, I fear it. I fear being the Pirates for several years.....

captain54
08-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Although a cleaned-house is the deserved outcome, I fear it. I fear being the Pirates for several years.....

The "cleaned-house" that is the deserved outcome for the Sox runs much deeper than just shuffling players, or even replacing the manager or GM

Then entire organization needs a fresh approach and a complete revamp, and as long as JR is around, I'm afraid that's not possible. Successful business organizations spend an awful lot of time making sure everyone is on the same page. JR has, for some inexplicable reason, allowed his GM and Field Manager to be at war with each other over the past few years, and the organization has deteriorated as a result.

Give JR credit for 83', 93', 00' and of course 05', but one World Championship in 30 yrs (right, the Cubs, 100 + yrs, I get it) under one regime is not that great a track record, especially in this day of expanded playoffs.

The main problem for me is the fact that despite what JR has said over the years, he pulls all the strings and makes all the key decisions, and surrounds himself with yes-men ( Jerry Krause)

While JR is no doubt a very astute and wise businessman, you'd have to really question his ablility to make sound baseball decisions, from the draft to the minor league system, to the signing of free agents. All of which I believe he has the absolute final say.

Vernam
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM

They were having a serious problem with his monitor, because he was singing a beat or two behind what people in the stadium were hearing. As Elvis impersonators go, he was way better last year than the others they've had.

Can't believe I just wrote that. :redface: There are many things wrong with this organization, but Elvis isn't one of them!

Vernam

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The "cleaned-house" that is the deserved outcome for the Sox runs much deeper than just shuffling players, or even replacing the manager or GM

Then entire organization needs a fresh approach and a complete revamp, and as long as JR is around, I'm afraid that's not possible. Successful business organizations spend an awful lot of time making sure everyone is on the same page. JR has, for some inexplicable reason, allowed his GM and Field Manager to be at war with each other over the past few years, and the organization has deteriorated as a result.

Give JR credit for 83', 93', 00' and of course 05', but one World Championship in 30 yrs (right, the Cubs, 100 + yrs, I get it) under one regime is not that great a track record, especially in this day of expanded playoffs.

The main problem for me is the fact that despite what JR has said over the years, he pulls all the strings and makes all the key decisions, and surrounds himself with yes-men ( Jerry Krause)

While JR is no doubt a very astute and wise businessman, you'd have to really question his ablility to make sound baseball decisions, from the draft to the minor league system, to the signing of free agents. All of which I believe he has the absolute final say.

Very good post.

Another example of this dynamic is Williams commenting on Beckham's stance/hitting approach- whether he's right/wrong- he should keep his mouth shut- and leave that up to his manager and hitting coach.

I've never seen JR lead an "overhaul" type dynamic- and that's what this organization desperately needs- I have to believe season ticket sales are going to drop again in the offseason- we could see our first crowds of 10000-14000 next year.

DirtySox
08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
The White Sox are tied with the Twins in having the worst home record in the AL.

Parrothead
08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
They were having a serious problem with his monitor, because he was singing a beat or two behind what people in the stadium were hearing. As Elvis impersonators go, he was way better last year than the others they've had.

Can't believe I just wrote that. :redface: There are many things wrong with this organization, but Elvis isn't one of them!

Vernam

I am with you on writing about Elvis imitators but I have to disagree the young Elivs guy (don't remember his name) was the best they had was much better than Doug Church (fat Elvis), who by the way was the guy who was there last year.