PDA

View Full Version : Target Field photos

Fenway
08-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Friend who is a NY based freelancer just posted photos from the Target Field tour.

May well be best of the new parks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandarykoff/sets/72157627347604765/

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2011, 01:10 AM
I think I like Pittsburgh a little better, but Target Field is among the very best now.

Parrothead
08-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Been to Target Field...its' ok, 2 ways up to the UD unless you are in the big shooter seats, keep it. It can't hold PNCs jock strap. PNC is by far the best thing going. Everything else should be honored to say it is a ballpark like PNC.

CHISOXFAN13
08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
PNC is my favorite, but Target Field is second. That place is only built on eight acres, which makes it even more amazing.

The best ballpark tour I've been on as well.

LITTLE NELL
08-20-2011, 09:38 AM
All these retro parks are starting to bore me, each one tries to be a little more quirkier than the last one. In the old days all the parks were quirky because they were built on small parcels of land and an owner built his park to fit in that parcel. Fenway, Ebbets and Connie Mack Stadium just to name a few all had shorts dimensions to either right or left field with a tall wall next to the street. Even old Comiskey ran out of room in left field as the lower deck only had 19 rows compared to right field with about 30 rows.
USCF is starting to look better and better every year especially after the lopping off of the last 8 UD rows. If USCF only had 1 level of suites and the Club level making the UD less steep, people would be giving it much better reviews. The Sox should think about adding a deck of seats in right field above the concourse about the same size as the fundamental section in left field, it would give the park a little more character. I've been to Dodger Stadium and I don't think its any better than USCF for watching a game, its the view beyond the park that makes it special.

Red Barchetta
08-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Nice pics. I like the firepit idea, however it screams "drunk idiot move" in the future. I hope to check out the ballpark someday.

Based on the pics, I still think the Giants, Pirates and Orioles have the best looking ballparks, however the Twins should be proud. As a SOX fan I am more jealous of their respective downtown locations vs. the design. I wish US Cellular was located in the heart of the city with the great Chicago skyline hovering over the outfield vs. the Robert Taylor homes when it opened as Comskey Park II...

bridgeportcopper
08-20-2011, 12:24 PM
looks awesome....why is Brad Radke in ANY hall of fame?

LongLiveFisk
08-20-2011, 04:00 PM
PNC is indeed beautiful. Have not been to Target Field yet.

skobabe8
08-20-2011, 07:11 PM
All these retro parks are starting to bore me, each one tries to be a little more quirkier than the last one. In the old days all the parks were quirky because they were built on small parcels of land and an owner built his park to fit in that parcel. Fenway, Ebbets and Connie Mack Stadium just to name a few all had shorts dimensions to either right or left field with a tall wall next to the street. Even old Comiskey ran out of room in left field as the lower deck only had 19 rows compared to right field with about 30 rows. cial.

Same is the case with Target Field. Parcel is small and some of it was built over the interstate.

Southsider101
08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
The thing about Target Field is that it really IS like a an old time ballpark in that the site is tiny compared to some of the faux reto ballparks. It was built to conform the the limited space available. Afterall, this was the last available empty downtown lot on which a ballpark could fit. Sure they could have made it a cutsy theme park of a stadium (think phony terrace a-la Crosley Field in Houston or the fake Ebbet's Field facade at Citi Field) to fit in with the other red brick buildings in the Warehouse District, but the post-modern design will hold up just fine over the 21st century.

Southsider101
08-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice pics. I like the firepit idea, however it screams "drunk idiot move" in the future. I hope to check out the ballpark someday.

Based on the pics, I still think the Giants, Pirates and Orioles have the best looking ballparks, however the Twins should be proud. As a SOX fan I am more jealous of their respective downtown locations vs. the design. I wish US Cellular was located in the heart of the city with the great Chicago skyline hovering over the outfield vs. the Robert Taylor homes when it opened as Comskey Park II...

I always thought that the best site for new Comiskey was in the South Loop along the Chicago River. Too bad the state and city didn't have the money and time to consider that option. It would have been closer to DT and it would have looked fabulous on TV with the skyline in the background.

roylestillman
08-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Was there two weeks ago when the Sox played the Twins. It is nice, but boy those upper deck seats ara waaaaay up there.

Four words define the Target Field experience: Walleye on a Stick.

Foulke You
08-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Been to Target Field...its' ok, 2 ways up to the UD unless you are in the big shooter seats, keep it. It can't hold PNCs jock strap. PNC is by far the best thing going. Everything else should be honored to say it is a ballpark like PNC.
I agree Parrothead. I went to Target Field last season and was a bit underwhelmed especially after all the hype I heard about it. Don't get me wrong, it is light years beyond the Dome and is a solid ballpark for the Twins but overall, I wasn't blown away by it. The concourses were tiny (especially upper deck) and the ballpark empties very poorly because everyone files out of a minimal amount of exits. PNC is the best of the parks I've attended but I'd also rank Safeco and Miller Park ahead of Target.

DSpivack
08-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree Parrothead. I went to Target Field last season and was a bit underwhelmed especially after all the hype I heard about it. Don't get me wrong, it is light years beyond the Dome and is a solid ballpark for the Twins but overall, I wasn't blown away by it. The concourses were tiny (especially upper deck) and the ballpark empties very poorly because everyone files out of a minimal amount of exits. PNC is the best of the parks I've attended but I'd also rank Safeco and Miller Park ahead of Target.

I don't get the love many have for Miller Park, it seemed like just a bland retractable roof stadium to me.

I really want to get to PNC, Target Field & Safeco some day.

I've been to:
-US Cellular Field
-Wrigley Field
-Miller Park
-Nationals Park
-Camden Yards
-Dodger Stadium
-AT&T Park
-Coors Field
-Turner Field
-Rogers Centre
-Comerica Park
-Busch Stadium (II, now destroyed)
-Yankee Stadium (now destroyed)

AT&T Park stands out to me as easily the best of that bunch, though the setting plays a huge part in that. Camden Yards is a close second to me, while Coors Field, Turner Field, & Nationals Park all seem somewhat similar (Coors & Turner especially). Comerica I liked because it felt a bit more intimate than some of the newer parks that are a bit on the larger side (mostly Turner & Coors). I found Rogers Centre & Miller Park boring, and Dodger Stadium decent but not great.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Was there two weeks ago when the Sox played the Twins. It is nice, but boy those upper deck seats ara waaaaay up there.

Four words define the Target Field experience: Walleye on a Stick.Yeah, I couldn't stay in my seats in the last row of the upper deck. Just couldn't do it. Watched the game standing in the second deck.

Forget Walleye on a Stick; get the walleye fingers at Hrbek's behind home plate. Man, are they good.

Red Barchetta
08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I always thought that the best site for new Comiskey was in the South Loop along the Chicago River. Too bad the state and city didn't have the money and time to consider that option. It would have been closer to DT and it would have looked fabulous on TV with the skyline in the background.

I almost hate to think about it, however if the SOX would have waited 5 more years for their "new ballpark" push, Daly would have been in office and Camden Yards and Jacobs Field would have already been built. I know the SOX could have sold a downtown/Chicago skyline backdrop ballpark concept to Daly!

Parrothead
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Target is a solid park (a bit above average) but as it was mentioned by someone else, the new parks are starting to resemble each other, a few bars, many places to stand, throw in something quirky to be cool and copy one or more of the "new" parks in the process. The entrances to the Upper deck really sucks, there are only 2 that I found (unless I misscounted) that are available to the general public. The UD concourses were narrow as are the lower deck especially if have to try to get to the UD. Now, it may be different now as I was there on the 1st night game.

I will get to compare it to Seattle since I am going there this week. Leaving me only 7 MLB parks to visit (both NYs, both Fla's, both Texas and Az). If they would stop building parks I would be done.

DSpivack
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Target is a solid park (a bit above average) but as it was mentioned by someone else, the new parks are starting to resemble each other, a few bars, many places to stand, throw in something quirky to be cool and copy one or more of the "new" parks in the process. The entrances to the Upper deck really sucks, there are only 2 that I found (unless I misscounted) that are available to the general public. The UD concourses were narrow as are the lower deck especially if have to try to get to the UD. Now, it may be different now as I was there on the 1st night game.

I will get to compare it to Seattle since I am going there this week. Leaving me only 7 MLB parks to visit (both NYs, both Fla's, both Texas and Az). If they would stop building parks I would be done.

With the new Marlins park coming on line next season, that leaves only Tampa and Oakland without their own stadiums, right?

salty99
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Nice shots! I think it would be pretty neat to be in the Champion's Club and have access to see the batting cages.

Fenway
08-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I almost hate to think about it, however if the SOX would have waited 5 more years for their "new ballpark" push, Daly would have been in office and Camden Yards and Jacobs Field would have already been built. I know the SOX could have sold a downtown/Chicago skyline backdrop ballpark concept to Daly!

The reality is they didn't have another 5 years.

Then the team and state had to rush the project and start digging fast as you have to assume a court challenge of the way the stadium bill was passed could have stopped it cold. I have seen it mentioned that the team simply used the blueprints from the Addison pipedream and just moved them to 35th St.

I recall reading at the time the park was opened the reason the park faced south instead of north like old Comiskey. One reason given was since the old ballpark was known as a pitchers park because of the wind it was decided to face it in the other direction to make it more of a hitters park - which certainly happened.

20 years ago a new park could have been built in the South or West Loop but since the land was already in place and time was critical they stayed on 35th St. Still it beats the alternative of St. Petersburg. :smile:

I have always wondered why Chicago Stadium was built 2 miles west of the Loop. All the other arenas of that era were built close to downtown ( with the exception of the Olympia in Detroit ) and I also wonder why whoever ran the CTA back then did build a station there when you consider what is now the Pink Line ran right next to it. The UC then was built across the street for the same reason the Cell was...the land was there.