PDA

View Full Version : SOX to play 3 games in 27 hours in 2 cities

#1swisher
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
@MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales)

Sox's Sept. 4 game at Detroit now 7:05 p.m. meaning Sox will play three games in 27 hours in two states (day-night DH on Sept. 5 at Minn).

Sept. 4 game televised by ESPN2

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 03:56 PM
I thought that the team had to OK it if they had a day game the next day in another city! That's gonna be brutal, and I so hope our starting pitching will be able to shoulder a lot of innings during that stretch. That day they get off before the series at Comerica now becomes even more important.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I tend to think it's not going to matter in the least by then but we'll see.

Lip

KMcMahon817
08-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Lip

Figured you'd find a way to put a negative comment in here.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 06:32 PM
McMahon:

Truth hurts don't it?

:tongue:

Lip

KMcMahon817
08-19-2011, 06:33 PM
McMahon:

Truth hurts don't it?

Lip

Not really. Frustrating seasons are frustrating. I find it more enjoyable to not be so damn negative, and hope for the best. To each their own.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't Stop Believin' Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:

I simply think this is a team that's barely been .500 for almost five months, I don't care how crappy the division is... like JB and Kittle keep saying, what you see is what you get.

Period.

Now throw in the injuries that are starting to mount up, and the "quality" players they are bringing up to replace them and...well you get the picture.

I still hope they can win 21 games, get a winning season at least out of this disaster and go home and try to regroup (if they can) for next year. If that offends you somewhat (and apparently by your original comment it did) well, what can I say.

Lip

MarySwiss
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Lip

Well, I'm usually a major-league optimist, but my initial reaction to ChiSoxFanatic's post pretty much lined up with Lip's post. Let's hope the Sox are still relevant at that point, but given how this season has gone....:(:

KMcMahon817
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Don't Stop Believin' Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:

I simply think this is a team that's barely been .500 for almost five months, I don't care how crappy the division is... like JB and Kittle keep saying, what you see is what you get.

Period.

Now throw in the injuries that are starting to mount up, and the "quality" players they are bringing up to replace them and...well you get the picture.

I still hope they can win 21 games, get a winning season at least out of this disaster and go home and try to regroup (if they can) for next year. If that offends you somewhat (and apparently by your original comment it did) well, what can I say.

Lip

Far from offended by your post. It is just nothing but blind negativity these days from you. I get that the SOX are in the worst division in baseball, but they're still only 4 games out of first place. In three short hours, they could be 3 games out. Just sayin'.

To this point, it has been "what you see in what you get", no arguing that. But if the SOX go 8-2 in their next 10 again, I am sure you'll be jumping right on the bandwagon.

asindc
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
McMahon:

Truth hurts don't it?

Lip

It's not true unless it happens.

The Immigrant
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM

:rolling:

DirtySox
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Period.

Lip

Preach on.

Boondock Saint
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Far from offended by your post. It is just nothing but blind negativity these days from you. I get that the SOX are in the worst division in baseball, but they're still only 4 games out of first place. In three short hours, they could be 3 games out. Just sayin'.

To this point, it has been "what you see in what you get", no arguing that. But if the SOX go 8-2 in their next 10 again, I am sure you'll be jumping right on the bandwagon.

I'm pretty sure that won't be happening, considering that the last run with the Twins, Royals and Orioles is the only time they've gone on that kind of run this season.

TDog
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
McMahon:

Truth hurts don't it?

Lip

That isn't truth. That's a guess. And in this context, it has the feel of a guess by someone rooting against the Sox, which is going to irritate some people.

The truth, actual reality would be that no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, this game will matter to many, many more people than anything going on collegiately in Idaho this fall.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm usually a major-league optimist, but my initial reaction to ChiSoxFanatic's post pretty much lined up with Lip's post. Let's hope the Sox are still relevant at that point, but given how this season has gone....:(:
I totally understand the sentiment. I too have been down on this team a lot this season. It has been a very long and nauseating season for all of us. But, I'm trying to not lose hope until the number in the "games back" column is greater than the number of games left.

DSpivack
08-19-2011, 08:19 PM
That isn't truth. That's a guess. And in this context, it has the feel of a guess by someone rooting against the Sox, which is going to irritate some people.

The truth, actual reality would be that no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, this game will matter to many, many more people than anything going on collegiately in Idaho this fall.

Now that's just a low blow.

DirtySox
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
The eternal optimists sure have some thin skin lately. :smile:

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Dirty:

That's because the Sox didn't get Nate Schierholtz.

If we had all our troubles would be a thing of the past!

:smile:

And if anybody knows me, and they should, I've been here since 2002, they'd know that claiming I was rooting against the Sox is about as stupid and assinine a statement that you can possibly make...I've only lived and died with them for 51 seasons now..

I simply said I don't think playing three games in 27 hours is going to matter. I still don't because frankly I think the Sox will be five or six under by that time and six or seven out. Sorry, I just don't see this team making a "miraculous" run.

If someone has an issue with that feeling maybe you should ask Kenny and Ozzie why this club is in the position they are in, in the first place. I didn't cause it, neither did any fan on this site.

Lip

GoGoCrede
08-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I think something similar happened in 2008. Indians, Tigers, Twins.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2011, 12:00 AM
... if anybody knows me, and they should, I've been here since 2002, they'd know that claiming I was rooting against the Sox is about as stupid and assinine a statement that you can possibly make...I've only lived and died with them for 51 seasons now..However, there have been many of those seasons where you have seemed to revel in the misfortune of the team. I don't think you realize that you do come across to some people as enjoying being "right" about how bad things are.

hi im skot
08-20-2011, 12:05 AM
However, there have been many of those seasons where you have seemed to revel in the misfortune of the team. I don't think you realize that you do come across to some people as enjoying being "right" about how bad things are.

/slow applause

Scottiehaswheels
08-20-2011, 12:36 AM
If a tree falls in a forest, does anyone really give a ****?

asindc
08-20-2011, 06:31 AM
However, there have been many of those seasons where you have seemed to revel in the misfortune of the team. I don't think you realize that you do come across to some people as enjoying being "right" about how bad things are.

This+

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 07:20 AM

And there a many people who don't see that at all.

How specifically does Lip come across as "enjoying" it?

The guy is posting "this day in White Sox history" every day,etc.- does someone who wants the team to fail do things like that?

My guess is that the Sept 4-5 games will still matter- but the Sox are very unlikely to take advantage of the opportunity since that's what I've been watching for 5 months.

kufram
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
I would never think that people here are reveling in the team's poor performance. I do think some kind of like being proven right when the team is bad (not aimed at you Mr. Lip).

But there are certainly some who appear to like pointing out the bleeding obvious time after time after losses. I'm not saying they are wrong or have no right to do so... it is just my observation. People are different. I just don't feel like coming to the site after a loss and pointing out that I know what is wrong.

I like enjoying wins.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Nellie:

Seriously I would like to know if you can tell me when I do this.

I don't think I do, however one of the toughest things to do is be self-critical. I can tell you I HAVE NEVER ever posted something where I've come out and said "I was right" (unlike others including T-Dog, who have been blasted for it) because I fully know that I've been wrong just as often.

Lip

SI1020
08-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Sometimes I wonder what one has to do to prove allegiance to the Sox. I would think that hanging in there for 5+ decades and providing us with books worth of journalism about the team would be enough. Apparently not.

tsoxman
08-20-2011, 01:15 PM
That isn't truth. That's a guess. And in this context, it has the feel of a guess by someone rooting against the Sox, which is going to irritate some people....
While it may be a 'guess' to assume that this team will fail, the way that this team has played all season and for the last two years for that matter, leads many to believe that it is an educated guess at that.

I guess there still has to be 15,000 people to actually show up to watch this crap in person.

bridgeportcopper
08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
and there a many people who don't see that at all.

How specifically does lip come across as "enjoying" it?

The guy is posting "this day in white sox history" every day,etc.- does someone who wants the team to fail do things like that?

My guess is that the sept 4-5 games will still matter- but the sox are very unlikely to take advantage of the opportunity since that's what i've been watching for 5 months.

+1

TDog
08-20-2011, 09:09 PM

That was the point I was trying to make. That and the fact that someone who claims not to watch baseball but has daily negative comments to make about it can come off badly.

And if any fans wouldn't like to have Nate Schierholtz on the White Sox instead of Adam Dunn, they haven't watched any baseball this season. Imagine having Quentin at DH and Schierholtz hitting .280 with strong defense in right. I think Dunn has hit two or three more home runs, though.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
TDog:

I don't watch baseball when the Sox are losing, aka 11 under earlier in the season, (and if you listen to Brooks Boyer there are a ton of other Sox fans who do the exact same thing) they were actually over .500 last week. If you are going to blast me, at least I'd appreciate you getting the facts right.

Plus and I say this respectfully, I'm not trying to come across as arrogant OK (although I'm sure you might take it that way) I'm in regular communication with folks who are helping to actually run the Sox, I'm in regular communication with the media covering the Sox on a daily basis and that goes on regardless of if the Sox are 20 over or 20 under .500 I'm not in a vacuum here in Idaho I know what's going on and have as good a sense of this club and their issues as you do sitting at home in California watching on TV. (maybe better...)

Now you can go back to patting yourself on the back again about how right you were with Adam Dunn.

FREE NATE SCHIERHOLZ!!!!!!!!

LOL

Lip